• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horns

Didn't see this posted on the last two pages:

$40 for The Witcher 2 standard via Amazon digital download.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VJNPPE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

314dd3cf52c42c3.gif

Darklord said:
Err, so how do I fight in this game? I'm at the battle and the first real enemies I fight I'm getting my arse kicked. The fuck am I doing wrong here? The tutorials came up but vanished after like 3 seconds and I have no idea what the controls are beyond left and right mouse. :[

• Parry/block with E - blocking an attack leaves an enemy off balance and open to attacks. Holding E does use stamina, so try to time it right
  • Roll with SPACE - can roll between or behind enemies to counter or RUN
  • Multitask - move the mouse to target different enemies. If you get a good rhythm going, you can alternate from one to another without giving them enough time to attack. You have to be quick and have good timing and it takes a while to learn
  • Use your signs
    • Arden: I use this to knock back/stun an enemy (usually the most threatening/strongest) while I deal with the weaker ones
    • Igni: Not too useful in multiple-enemy scenarios, but with some enemies, if you're worried about their attacks, can just run and attack them with this from a distance
    • Yrden: Sets a trap on the ground. Similar to Arden, I usually try to trap the strongest/heavily armored enemy in this while I deal with the easier ones
    • Quen: Basically an armor buff. Really helps, but if you're having trouble with multiple-enemy scenarios, this may not help much until you get used to controlling the flow of combat
    • Axii: Use this one weaker enemies to turn them into an ally in combat

Salaadin

panda21 said:
i read in a review that the combat is a bit like demon's souls? is that true?

Its Demons Souls-esque in that you cant go into a fight and just all out brawl your way to victory. You need to time blocks, be careful with your attacks, dont button spam.
If I had to make a comparison, Id say its like Demons Souls meets Arkham Asylum...which is exactly where CDPR said they pulled inspiration from. Id say they succeeded.

Control during battle could be tighter, though. Sometimes I find Geralt jumping to the next enemy when Im not necessarily ready to.

zlatko

Banned
Just a random thing that popped up I figured I'd share.

CDProjekt was happy with 100,000 some pre orders right? Saying "games get 200-300K across multi platforms," or something along those lines.

So just recently it was pointed out Gears of War 3 already has over 1 million pre orders world wide and that's a 1 platform game as well.

I sort of feel CDprojekt has their sights set too low for how fucking good this game is, and it's strange PC exclusive or not, that this game didn't have more people behind it coming up to the release.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
'I really want to play this game on normal but I can't succeed against more than 4 nekkers basically and if there's a warrior amongst them then I'm screwed from the get go.

zlatko said:

I sort of feel CDprojekt has their sights set too low for how fucking good this game is, .

Sadly, since it's all about brands basically, it won't sell nearly as much as a gears or cod no matter how good the game is. Hence why they set their bars where they did.

megamerican

Just have to say that playing this on high on my projector is one of the most glorious gaming experiences I've ever had.

My one niggling complaint is that Geralt's dialogue seems way too low in the mix relative to the other voices.

A couple thoughts:

- Game runs great on high on an i3-2100 and 6950(70). Dual core doesn't seem to kill performance.
- Screenshots just don't do the game justice. I'd seen the opening camp in hundreds of pictures, but never got a sense of how fucking cool it would be to walk around in that place. With headphones? Wow, those trebuchets...
- Speaking of, what an awesome way to open a game. The story sets up wonderfully. I actually care to listen to people as a result.
- Combat is a lot harder than I expected coming from TW1, and you get dropped in the deep end very early on. That courtyard fight was rough as shit until I really started to learn the signs and use bombs. Some people have invoked Demon's Souls and I completely agree. It's like DS without the atmosphere of dread.
- Love the way the game treats Foltest as a character. He was imperfect but likeable in the source material, too.

I'm basically drowning in Witcher semen.

megamerican said:
Just have to say that playing this on high on my projector is one of the most glorious gaming experiences I've ever had.

My one niggling complaint is that Geralt's dialogue seems way too low in the mix relative to the other voices.

You know, it's pretty close to the way Geralt is in the stories. He doesn't say a lot, and never very loudly. Doesn't help you hear him, though.

Salaadin

dollartaco said:
You know, it's pretty close to the way Geralt is in the stories. He doesn't say a lot, and never very loudly. Doesn't help you hear him, though.

His personality in TW2 also feels closer to the books as well....much better than the way he was in the first game.

robotrock

Banned
In Flotsam
I got really drunk and I think I have lost all of my items. This dude said I had to find this lady but I dunno where she is.

Any advice?

If your having the-game-won't-launch-and-goes-back-to-the-menu-every time-problem......

Lowering your desktop resolution to 1920x1200 or less, then selecting run game in fullscreen does the trick. You can even run it at a higher res than desktop.

Guess we have to wait for a video card or game patch for this one.

zlatko said:

CDProjekt was happy with 100,000 some pre orders right? Saying "games get 200-300K across multi platforms," or something along those lines.

So just recently it was pointed out Gears of War 3 already has over 1 million pre orders world wide and that's a 1 platform game as well.

I sort of feel CDprojekt has their sights set too low for how fucking good this game is, and it's strange PC exclusive or not, that this game didn't have more people behind it coming up to the release.

The hardware reqs probably spooked a lot of people from pre ordering though.
They 'll give the game some serious legs though, I can definately see anyone getting a new pc or card picking this up along with it. (just like crysis kept selling steadily for ages)
I reckon this'll be the game to get for a few years to come.

Besides, despite the hype on forums like this one, few people actually know what the witcher is... give word of mouth some time to spread.

edit:

Sadly, since it's all about brands basically, it won't sell nearly as much as a gears or cod no matter how good the game is. Hence why they set their bars where they did.
They are building brand recognition and reputation though with every quality release.
A much better way to do business in the long run than just throw oodles of marketing money against bad or mediocre games.
I think it'll all work out fine for them.

Not sure which version to buy.

1) GoG - £30 but no DRm
2) Elsewhere online - Has DRM but also has other stuff (premium edition) and is £25

What I want to know really is how intrusive/bad the DRM is. If it's not too bad and doesn't install something hard to remove on my PC I'll go with the boxed version.

SneakyStephan said:
The hardware reqs probably spooked a lot of people from pre ordering though.
They 'll give the game some serious legs though, I can definately see anyone getting a new pc or card picking this up along with it. (just like crysis kept selling steadily for ages)

Besides, despite the hype on forums like this one, few people actually know what the witcher is... give word of mouth some time to spread.

Agreed, a game as good as this shall prevail.

Minsc

Gold Member
Maleficence said:

1) GoG - £30 but no DRm
2) Elsewhere online - Has DRM but also has other stuff (premium edition) and is £25

What I want to know really is how intrusive/bad the DRM is. If it's not too bad and doesn't install something hard to remove on my PC I'll go with the boxed version.

Turned out Steam is DRM only by Steam itself, no additional DRM, just retail has SecureROM (very relaxed, unlimited installs etc). Don't know about D2D/elsewhere, at worst it would be the same as retail.

zlatko

Banned
Just a warning to those playing:

There is a known bug where you can go into a building and can no longer exit it.

Be sure to never save inside a house, and of course it goes without saying in a game like this to save often. ;)

I had the bug myself but was lucky that I had saved a few minutes before going into the house I did.

zlatko said:

There is a known bug where you can go into a building and can no longer exit it.

Be sure to never save inside a house, and of course it goes without saying in a game like this to save often. ;)

I had the bug myself but was lucky that I had saved a few minutes before going into the house I did.

Forever alone
in a house

Got to chapter 2, and I'm already looking forward to another playthrough.

The difficulty problems I was/am having are because I fucked up my early build, things are going much smoother now.

This game is an order of magnitude better than the first one, and pretty much any other game in it's genre. Bravo.

Also, smart ass wise cracking Geralt is best Geralt.

I initially had the DVD rom problem with the installer not finding the main install files, but then I tried an external drive and it installed fine.

JoeBoy101

Alright, my unasked for initial impression and thoughts:

I've gotten up to when I arrive at Flotsam, and I have to say, this is game is one of the most improved sequels in the past decade. Even more so than AC->AC2. Everywhere that Witcher 1 seemed to fall down on, Witcher 2 is hitting homers, from the combat to the story pacing, to the character development. The 'Tutorial' section is outright brilliant and magnificent, capturing a scope and event one would expect to see at the end of a game, not the beginning. I'm really looking forward to going further in this game and find the possible storylines exciting.

- Combat is much more difficult than number one and is more difficult than Arkham Asylum, which it often gets compared to. That said, its also much more strategic and way deeper than those before-mentioned games as well. Parries, fast strikes, slow strikes, traps, daggers, rolls, signs. The combat is fast and kinetic without feeling out of control (expect for an issue I'll mention below). Whereas I found the combat in Witcher incredibly boring, W2 keeps me challenged and attentive to opponents.
- Gamepad control is atrocious. The analog stick movement is way too twitchy, and, in the default scheme, Geralt is constantly using his amulet and doing (or not doing) some action I was not selecting. Several times I was holding down parry with no visible reaction from Geralt. I'm going to struggle with it, as I feels much better than KB+M.
- Overall difficulty is frustrating in that Easy is too Easy, but Normal is a bit too hard for me. I'm keeping it at normal, but the game is displaying a much higher difficulty than other games right now. Whether you think that a minus or plus is up to you. I think its mostly a plus.
- Magic is WAY more useful and better utilized in combat. Also love that is used now in conversations as well.
- Animation is generally good, but the facial animations leaving something to be desired. Now, I know that LA Noire just came out, but forget that. The characters tend to be very dead in the face, and the lip-synching unconvincing. Also a lack of expression in character's faces, even in pivotal scenes.
- Vernon Roche is awesome.
- Triss is a major piece of ass. Goddam, she looks good. Plus, loved the banter between her and Roche on the way into Flotsam.
- The RPG elements of the game make me smile, from the awesome skill sets to the large amount of loot. No psuedo-RPG here.
-Graphics? Taking into account the art direction, I think this game looks better than Crysis 2. Crysis is more technically superior, but not by a terribly large amount, and the art direction in W2, is astounding.

That's it for now.

Chiggs

Gold Member
JoeBoy101 said:
Crysis is more technically superior, but not by a terribly large amount, and the art direction in W2, is astounding.

Like your impressions, but I have to completely disagree with this part. I think The Witcher 2 sort of shits on Crysis 2 in a lot of areas.

Carm

Maleficence said:

1) GoG - £30 but no DRm

All DRM is bad(yes that includes Steam, but I tolerate that one), get the GOG version.

JoeBoy101

Chiggs said:
Like your impressions, but I have to completely disagree with this part. I think The Witcher 2 sort of shits on Crysis 2 in a lot of areas.

I don't want to make it out like its a big difference. I just think Crysis 2 did more with their lighting. But strictly technically speaking, they are quite close in level quality. If you add in the fantastic art direction involved in W2, it really looks quite better.

Micius

robotrock said:
In Flotsam
I got really drunk and I think I have lost all of my items. This dude said I had to find this lady but I dunno where she is.

Any advice?

She is in
the basement of the inn.
Took me ages to figure it out as well.

iNvid02

i still think crysis 2 has the edge but the witcher is right behind it, and with no load times.
some shots with ubersampling, no idea where the guys face is in the first shot

6q74y.png

14u7ib.png

hamchan

zlatko said:

Don't worry, the game makes like a billion autosaves for you.

Moobabe

Not sure if this is the place to ask - but I had a loading screen pop-up during combat. I had to restart the game and now it won't boot. I get 'Witcher 2 - Launcher' pop up - press launch game, but it just brings up that first menu again.

So are there multiple ways to execute the finisher attacks? Is there any random luck involved or am I just hitting the right buttons without knowing? I know that going from the push sign (forget what its called) into an attack often causes it, but I've seen other ones that don't have any signs involved.

Salaadin

AllIsOneIsNone said:
So are there multiple ways to execute the finisher attacks? Is there any random luck involved or am I just hitting the right buttons without knowing? I know that going from the push sign (forget what its called) into an attack often causes it, but I've seen other ones that don't have any signs involved.

Anytime an enemy is stunned, you can finish them by simply attacking them. Youre right that Aard often causes it but Ive also seen enemies get stunned from normal attacks.

Salaadin

Any ETA for the Polish voices?

From the witcher website:
Language packs
May 18, 2011, 1:37 p.m.

We are currently working on the issues with the language packs in the DLCs. You might be able to download packs already but fully working solution should be available in the next five hours.

I dont know when that was exaclty posted though because it hasnt even hit 1:37pm in the US yet. Im assuming Poland time.

http://www.en.thewitcher.com/community/

matmanx1

Well I'm feeling pretty accomplished. I just vanquished a whole cave full of Nekkers on Normal difficulty at level 7. Prepared with Swallow+Rook potions and made about 10 Zanarkian sun bombs (stun + damage) and pretty much kept the Quen sign up the whole time. I don't know how many total Nekkers where down there but it was at least 7 on 1 at one time (that's where the bombs came in great handy!) and then several other small groups and stragglers.

I still had to reload a couple of times when Quen dropped and I got hit in the back (hits to the back do 200% damage!) but I finally got it. I am definitely taking the "backstab hits do normal damage" talents in the sword tree, btw. Definitely will take the fear out of facing a crowd like that.

The combat is sooo good once you start getting the hang of it. I think I'm going to invest mostly in Sword for the first run through and keep a good supply of bombs on hand also. Those little things are lifesavers so far.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Has there been any word from them about the defective retail disks?

It was mentioned it may be due to poor DVD drives (old/cheap/etc):

EvolveTom said:
The issue with the CRC check seems to be on old DVD drives that can't read dual-layer discs
suikodan said:
For the physical error plaguing the CE disks, I have one set here and tried to copy DVD1 on my HDD. The copying process failed.

I tried copying the files off the disk from a different PC/DVD Drive and it worked. I then put the files into a USB HDD (320Gb) so I'm trying to install this now for the nth time.

I am not pleased about my CE package but hopefully it will be all forgotten once the game starts.

DangerStepp

Has anyone had the KB/M input go ineffective for a few moments?

I had a bout in the training chapter where I was unable to do anything and Geralt was running wherever he pleased. It got me killed a couple times, but eventually corrected itself.
Wondering if I'm the only one.

The game is FANTASTIC, btw. LOVING every second.

poisonelf

I'm still early in the prologue, but so far I like the game a lot. I don't madly love it as I expected, but it seems great.

- Had to turn off UAC for Windows 7 or the patcher wouldn't run and I kept getting "need to activate from launcher" message. The only other game I had to turn off UAC for was again from gog.com. They really need to find a way around this instead of recommending turning UAC off, it's not like Windows 7 is some niche, unused OS.

- Graphics are unbelievable. The most beautiful game to date, a peek as to how games should look on PCs. Incredible.

- Love the atmosphere, the camp feels like a war camp, the siege like a siege, great.

- Combat, at least so far (still at the ballista loading) seems fine. Hard but not insane, tactical, and compels you to dodge, use magic etc.

- Really dislike the the whole setup of the ballista thing (too early to be a spoiler). Spam your mouse button (wtf??), wave of enemies, spam again, wave of enemies. I'm going to get hated for this, but it felt exactly like some sections of God of War. Not changed 1% for the upcoming console version my ass.

So far so good, too early to judge, I'm off to slay monsters :)

EDIT: Also hate the fact that there is no "crosshair" as in a dot or something to know where you point when searching around an area. Unless it's an option I didn't see, it seems pretty anti-intuitive for mouse+keyboard setting.

Darkkn

How is it possible to destroy Nekker holes in chapter 1 side quest? I've tried some bombs to a no effect :/

Only bummer to the combat is the fact that you can only hit one enemy at the time, even if attack animations are sweeping and it would make perfect sense for the sword to hit multiple targets.

Micius

Darkkn said:
How is it possible to destroy Nekker holes in chapter 1 side quest? I've tried some bombs to a no effect :/

Only bummer to the combat is the fact that you can only hit one enemy at the time, even if attack animations are sweeping and it would make perfect sense for the sword to hit multiple targets.

I just read up on this online, you need
the grapeshot bomb which you make with plans from Cedric
to destroy them. I have not tested this myself yet.

Edit: The second part of your post, seems some of the swordplay upgrades will let you hit multiple targets. Probably need to be level 10+ and invest heavily in that tree though.

CushVA

robotrock said:
In Flotsam

Any advice?

Took me forever to find her.
go to the basement of the Inn and there's a door on the far wall next to where the guys are fighting, next to the bar

mescalineeyes said:
I can't get past the very beginning. I always burn to death between the 2 barns where the guards are.

some bullshit this is.

kill the guards in the first barn and wait till it burns for a few seconds, then run to the second one and do the same. you should be in each barn for maybe 10 or 15 seconds if I remember correctly.

pahamrick

DangerStepp said:
Has anyone had the KB/M input go ineffective for a few moments?

I had a bout in the training chapter where I was unable to do anything and Geralt was running wherever he pleased. It got me killed a couple times, but eventually corrected itself.
Wondering if I'm the only one.

The game is FANTASTIC, btw. LOVING every second.

Had that happen twice so far. Bringing up one of the menu screens fixed it for me.

Darkkn said:

Pretty sure you need the.. Grapeshot bomb I think it's called. I always have those and Dragon's Breath in my pockets. Whenever I came across one of the nests I just got a prompt to hit the left mouse button, then Geralt would plant a bomb and no more nest.

As far as hitting multiple enemies, that's an upgrade in the swordsman tree. Just got the first level of it a little bit ago, definitely making multiple enemy encounters just a wee bit easier.

BeeDog said:
Alright, I hope someone can help me.

I played the dice game vs. the Monk in the basement of the Floatsam tavern. After a couple of wins, a tutorial-like box popped up called "Lucky Roll"; the monk said he'd give me something and the box mentioned something about checking a menu option to "redeem" something. The problem is, I didn't pay enough attention.

What's this about? Can some kind soul help me out with this? :p Thanks!
Heh, I brought this up yesterday as well and have yet to see anyone else with this issue. You can review the popup text in the Journal (Tutorial section), but it doesn't help: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594685399074797261/25BA5F6941BF0E025E5C5FCF42980BFDD727E46B/

Do you have the Steam version, by any chance? I'm thinking that might be the issue - that this bonus is designed for GOG copies (which is retarded if true).

zorbsie

Couldn't find an answer with the site search, is there a way to turn off the hud? I did a google search and found someone who said "H" disables it. But am not at home to confirm it. Anyone know if this works?

Salaadin

When can I upgrade the swordsman tree? I gained a few levels last night (currently 6) and it was still saying that they were all locked.

Another question (minor Nekker spoilers)...
Are their nests in that small cave system underneath the city? I went in there twice yesterday. First time, I had to kill maybe 10 nekkers. Second time, there had to be 20 in that first room alone. I still dont know how I killed them all.

Anyways, I saw a lot of holes down there...is that what I have to bomb? If its not, dont tell me where the nests are as Id like to find out myself. Im just curious if I can reduce the population of them in that cave.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Salaadin said:
When can I upgrade the swordsman tree? I gained a few levels last night (currently 6) and it was still saying that they were all locked.

Another question (minor Nekker spoilers)...
Are their nests in that small cave system underneath the city? I went in there twice yesterday. First time, I had to kill maybe 10 nekkers. Second time, there had to be 20 in that first room alone. I still dont know how I killed them all.

Anyways, I saw a lot of holes down there...is that what I have to bomb? If its not, dont tell me where the nests are as Id like to find out myself. Im just curious if I can reduce the population of them in that cave.

It says in a tooltip, but you might have missed it. You have to finish the Witcher skill tree before the others unlock.

Also, I noticed last night that the game uses bokeh for DOF. Is this the first game to use it so effectively? It looks insanely good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom