• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceebs

Anyone else prefer the old voice for Zoltan? He sounds rather bland now. Dandelion is a huge upgrade though.

LiK said:
um, is the sequel not doing a good job of teaching new players about this and other game mechanics? it's like one of the first things we learn in TW1.
It's telling new players everything they need to know in tooltips. Usually when you first do something. If you miss them you can reread them all in one of the menus.

wilflare

thanks!
TW2 has yet to inform on this..
loving it thus far..

thinking how to maximise the buttons on this.
to put Next Sign and Next Item on this somehow.

LiK said:
um, is the sequel not doing a good job of teaching new players about this and other game mechanics? it's like one of the first things we learn in TW1.

the tutorials in the journal teach a lot, but there are some things that are still unclear to me. For example, I still don't know how to add enhancements to my armor unless you can't do it in the prologue (then why would you be able to pick them up in the prologue); it gives a vague description but doesn't say, "press (A) when highlighting the enhancement to add it to your armor".

AllIsOneIsNone said:
the tutorials in the journal teach a lot, but there are some things that are still unclear to me. For example, I still don't know how to add enhancements to my armor unless you can't do it in the prologue (then why would you be able to pick them up in the prologue); it gives a vague description but doesn't say, "press (A) when highlighting the enhancement to add it to your armor".

The armor piece has to have an "expansion' slot as well or it isn't upgradeable.

"
In time, you will find armor and sword upgrades, allowing you to improve the qualities of these items. You can only upgrade those items that contain slots for runes
and enhancements. When you own such a sword or armor and an upgrade, enter
the equipment panel and drag the upgrade in question to a chosen item – it will be
upgraded. You cannot undo an upgrade."

read the manual.

LiK

AllIsOneIsNone said:

hmmm, i see. i guess maybe TW2 takes a lil longer to teach all the basics from TW1 and the new stuff.

scorpscarx said:
The armor piece has to have an "expansion' slot as well or it isn't upgradeable.

Ah, thank you...someone may have already answered that earlier but I might've overlooked it.

edit: Lik, it probably took me about 2 hours to feel like I had a general understanding of the combat, inventory and skills. Fairly steep learning curve, but not horrible.

gdt

Bought! I'll install and play through a bit just to get a feel for the setting/framerate, then I'll continue on with The Witcher 1.

Tried installing on my bedroom PC (already installed and running on my other one) and after typing in serial code from the back of the manual the splash screen vanishes and nothing happens. Nothing at all. Now, there may have been a chance Kapersky was running and fucked it up as it was on but I never saw a pop up box and I never touched my keyboard or PC. But right now I can not have The Witcher 2 on 2 PC's. Either I've fucked up or they've fucked up.

Oh, I downloaded the SecureCom diagnostics tool and it couldn't even find the game!!

Reposting for new page:

Mr. Snrub said:
Hmm, I'm sure this was asked/answered, but can't find it: for Steam, where do I get my activation code to register and get the DLC? It asks for the activation code from the back of the manual, but there is no key in Steam, nor in the manual PDF.

Hixx

Just got the retail version (for the same price as GoG's version...) - its like Demons Souls, definitely get your moneys worth. £30 for a massive game + loads of goodies for the the RRP of most games out there, you really can't complain.

Peff

Quick question about the prologue:
I was looking at the guide that comes with the game and it says that right after getting out of the cell there's a chest with the sword and two potions, but I can't seem to find it? I have a Cat potion but no swords and the sight power thing doesn't point anything out as interactive

Awesome so far, though it's preeeetty clear there will be a console version in the future, the game plays perfectly with a controller. Not that it's a bad thing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
LiK said:
it does a fine job. When you encounter a drowner in the sewers, the game has a tool tip called "Your First Monster".

AllIsOneIsNone said:
The game teaches you in the prologue. You must have missed picking up the armor enhancement.

The tooltips are dynamic, though. It will come up when you pick up you first armor enhancement.

LiK

thetrin said:
it does a fine job. When you encounter a drowner in the sewers, the game has a tool tip called "Your First Monster".

oh ok, i guess people just ignore them, heh

guess you had no trouble installing the retail version?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
LiK said:
oh ok, i guess people just ignore them, heh

guess you had no trouble installing the retail version?
Zero. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

LiK

3chopl0x said:
You don't, CDPR didn't give them to Steam, the entire release was fucked.

Wait a day or two or three and Steam should add them.

giving GOG the lead, conspiracy! ;D

Salaadin

Mr. Snrub said:
Reposting for new page:

WHen you say that theres no key in steam, are you right clicking on the game and viewing the properties? I think they list game keys under the "DLC" tab in steam.

Salaadin said:
WHen you say that theres no key in steam, are you right clicking on the game and viewing the properties? I think they list game keys under the "DLC" tab in steam.

Yeah, didn't see it but I'm at work now. Most games, you right click and they have a "View CD/Game key" but Witcher 2 doesn't.

Echoplx

Mr. Snrub said:
Yeah, didn't see it but I'm at work now. Most games, you right click and they have a "View CD/Game key" but Witcher 2 doesn't.

You don't get to see the key exactly, Steam automatically adds it during setup. There are no extra keys for DLC.

Salaadin

Mr. Snrub said:

SOme games let you view it by Shift+Tabbing in game too. I dont know where else you can get it from.

3chopl0x said:
You don't get to see the key exactly, Steam automatically adds it during setup. There are no extra keys for DLC.

Does the steam version not have the launcher that we all have where you have to register the game and download the DLC?
Maybe since its free DLC, steam is just going to download it automatically?

3chopl0x said:

So...how do you get the DLC? The option is grayed out until you register your game from the launcher, and registering requires knowing the activation code, right?

Echoplx

Mr. Snrub said:
So...how do you get the DLC? The option is grayed out until you register your game from the launcher, and registering requires knowing the activation code, right?

The activation code is automatically added like I said, and the DLC is free so there is no need for extra keys.

Echoplx

Salaadin said:
SOme games let you view it by Shift+Tabbing in game too. I dont know where else you can get it from.

Does the steam version not have the launcher that we all have where you have to register the game and download the DLC?
Maybe since its free DLC, steam is just going to download it automatically?

Yes the Steam version has the same launcher but the key is put in for you instead of manually adding it. Am i explaining this badly or something? This is all very simple.

Haint

JWong said:
Review count at 5.

I don't think Witcher will maintain a high metacritic with the onslaught of mainstream reviewers. Hopefully it will stick it out.

So far, it feels like the Uncharted 2 of RPGs. So cinematic.

What's the story on reviews? Did they not send NA outlets pre-release review code or is it just a sad reflection on the state of PC gaming? Every site and their grandmother pushed out L.A. Noir reviews at the midnight embargo lift, but here Witcher 2 is largely untouched a couple days in.

Excko

Mr. Snrub said:

The way I did it, was to choose the register game from the launcher. I asked me to create an account for the witcher web site. I did so, and when I got to the register game screen, the code was already in the box, I just had to hit send and it registered the game for me.

Salaadin

DenogginizerOS said:
So, how do you actually access the content on Steam?

Maybe its an automatic download like how they handle patches.
If you have the Steam version and youre in Chapter 1, check the notice board for the troll quest. If you have that, you have the DLC.

3chopl0x said:
Yes the Steam version has the same launcher but the key is put in for you instead of manually adding it. Am i explaining this badly or something? This is all very simple.

I guess the question is, if Steam handles all that for you, how do you actually access the DLC?

EDIT:

Salaadin said:
Maybe its an automatic download like how they handle patches.
If you have the Steam version and youre in Chapter 1, check the notice board for the troll quest. If you have that, you have the DLC.

Ah, okay, I think I remember grabbing that but thought it said something about activating it first. Will check when I get home.

zlatko

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
So, how do you actually access the content on Steam?

The only DLC I know right now that is working for steam people is the Troll Trouble quest. To activate that, you just go to downloadable content when you bring up the game launcher, just click download, no code needed, and it'll DL the quest. You then install it. Some people are having trouble installing because it makes some error about no administrator authority to do so, which you just need to find the launcher.exe in your steamapps folder and right click it to run as administrator.

Echoplx

Mr. Snrub said:
I guess the question is, if Steam handles all that for you, how do you actually access the DLC?

EDIT:

Ah, okay, I think I remember grabbing that but thought it said something about activating it first. Will check when I get home.

ALL STEAM 'HANDLES' IS ADDING A KEY TO A BOX.
It's exactly the same as every other version in regards to downloading DLC.

mr stroke

HixxSAFC said:
Just got the retail version (for the same price as GoG's version...) - its like Demons Souls, definitely get your moneys worth. £30 for a massive game + loads of goodies for the the RRP of most games out there, you really can't complain.

+1

the retail box is the way to go with this.

Just got mine and its beautiful old school PC packaging. Big case, map, manual, guide, and DVD with soundtrack.

So all you people loving it, do you have monster rigs or something? The performance is just too sluggish for me to enjoy the action oriented combat. I already dropped all the settings, turned off the options like AA, blur, shadows etc even vsync (and I hate tearing) and down to 720p on my i7 with an 460M, installed latest nvidia drivers

there is probably a beautiful game here, I love the look of the world but as soon as enemies appear on the screen framerate takes a dive when its needed most.

maybe I can come back to it if they release a patch or something, its just unplayable for me during combat with current optimization.

Salaadin

Mr. Snrub said:

EDIT:

Hmm, maybe it did. Im just going by what other games do with DLC where the notice wont even appear on the board unless you have the DLC. I guess its possible that CDPR put the notice there anyway but you still need to download the DLC to do the quest, I dont know.

Judging by others in this thread though, it seems the code will auto fill when you go to register? If thats true, then once you register, the DLC option should become clickable and you can get the DLC that way.

thetrin

cleveridea said:
So all you people loving it, do you have monster rigs or something? The performance is just too sluggish for me to enjoy the action oriented combat. I already dropped all the settings, turned off the options like AA, blur, shadows etc even vsync (and I hate tearing) and down to 720p on my i7 with an 460M, installed latest nvidia drivers

there is probably a beautiful game here, I love the look of the world but as soon as enemies appear on the screen framerate takes a dive when its needed most.

maybe I can come back to it if they release a patch or something, its just unplayable for me during combat with current optimization.

I don't have a monster rig, but mine is up to date (I'm running on Ultra with everything on except bloom and ubersampling)

Phenom II X4 3.2ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon 6950 2GB

With regards to the STEAM DLC:

1. Your CD Key will be auto populated in the launcher window when you go to register your game. You just have to first create an account at thewitcher.com

2. To download the day one DLC Troll Trouble, click on Downloadable Content and it should be available. Make sure you are running STEAM as an administrator, otherwise it won't show up in the list. There will be no code to input, just click the Download button on the bottom right hand side.

This has been a public service announcement from Sir Garbageman Inc.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I assume the map, soundtrack, guide, and paper figures are unavailable to Steam users despite it being advertised as being a part of the premium digital download.

LiK

DenogginizerOS said:
I assume the map, soundtrack, guide, and paper figures are unavailable to Steam users despite it being advertised as being a part of the premium digital download.

they should be via digital form. GOG offers them all digitally.

Salaadin

Sir Garbageman said:
With regards to the STEAM DLC:

1. Your CD Key will be auto populated in the launcher window when you go to register your game. You just have to first create an account at thewitcher.com

2. To download the day one DLC Troll Trouble, click on Downloadable Content and it should be available. Make sure you are running STEAM as an administrator, otherwise it won't show up in the list. There will be no code to input, just click the Download button on the bottom right hand side.

This has been a public service announcement from Sir Garbageman Inc.

Cool.

As a side note, once you download the DLC, you have to go back into the DLC menu and click it again to install it. I almost missed that.

Van Buren

Is there any side quest involving Ves in the first chapter ? I think I saw her name being mentioned a couple of times, but I cannot seem to locate her in Flotsam. Directions would be greatly appreciated.

Salaadin

DenogginizerOS said:

If its like the first game, there should be a folder in the steamapps/The Witcher 2 directory containing the extras.
Id be pretty weird if steam users downloaded 16GBs yesterday and it DIDNT have the extras XD

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I liked better in the first game: the art used in the scenes where Geralt talks about the results of a past decision.

The comic book-ish style looks fine in TW2, but I loved the art used for those scenes in the first game, and I think they worked better with the atmosphere of the game.

Echoplx

Salaadin said:
If its like the first game, there should be a folder in the steamapps/The Witcher 2 directory containing the extras.
Id be pretty weird if steam users downloaded 16GBs yesterday and it DIDNT have the extras XD

Please don't offer advice if you don't know what you're talking about. The bonus files are not in the game directory and yes the game is 16GB when uncompressed.

thetrin

Van Buren said:
Is there any side quest involving Ves in the first chapter ? I think I saw her name being mentioned a couple of times, but I cannot seem to locate her in Flotsam. Directions would be greatly appreciated.
Flotsam tavern basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom