• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
epmode said:
They're definitely BMPs but none of mine are over 901 KB.

Yeah, my save files started off at 2 meg and are now up to 13 meg... I can only imagine how big they will have grown by the end of the game.

I had a crash early on and lost about 2 hours of play as well so I'm saving almost every time I do something as well. hah.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
JWong said:
OH MY JESUS CHRIST!

3 gigs of save files!

I had over 10 gigs on The Witcher 1. :D

Also, question to those who got the Troll quest working. How?! It says I've downloaded it, but I can't take it up on the noticeboard. There was a thing about downloading it on the board, but I don't have anything on my quest log and stuff.

I missed it on my first playthrough, so I wanna give it a go this time. =(

Enkidu

ColonialRaptor said:
Yeah, my save files started off at 2 meg and are now up to 13 meg... I can only imagine how big they will have grown by the end of the game.

I had a crash early on and lost about 2 hours of play as well so I'm saving almost every time I do something as well. hah.
The saves seem to have shrunk again after I got to chapter 2, so they probably won't be that much larger at the end of the game. I doubt this is like EU3 where save files can start pushing 100MB at the end of the game :p

EDIT:
Stahsky said:
Also, question to those who got the Troll quest working. How?! It says I've downloaded it, but I can't take it up on the noticeboard. There was a thing about downloading it on the board, but I don't have anything on my quest log and stuff.

Try clicking on the notice board even if it seems empty. Otherwise, just run east I think until you get to the bridge where the troll is and I think the quest will start on its own.

markot

Banned
Stahsky said:

You have to download it on the launched then install it on the launcher too, have to be in admin mode as well.

RedSwirl

I think I'm coming up on the end of Chapter 1. I just beat
Letho, and I don't think his fight was too bad. Hard definitely, but more in an oldschool way, and the only thing about the fight that felt unfair was his nearly undodgable Aard sign that knocked you across the room.

I really liked the way they pulled off such a big moral choice there too.

epmode

Stahsky said:

I posted something about it on the last page: It's bugged for a lot of people, myself included. There should be a patch to fix DLC issues and other stuff early next (this?) week.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just finished.

Game of the Year so far by a god damned landslide. I don't know how anything coming out this year can topple this, I really don't.

Complaints about the ending are being blown way out of proportion. All the plot strings are tied up, a scenario for the 3rd game is set up and you get to see the results of all your choices in the game come to fruition.

The secret boss fight in Act 3 was a real cocksucker though, took me almost 2 hours of retries to nail that fucker but the payoff was definitely worth it.

EDIT: Here's a shot of Geralt kitted out in all the best stuff in the game, snipped out the spoilery stuff.

untitledzulr.jpg

itxaka

Defeatist
Fuck this shit.

I gotta be doing something wrong. I enjoy exploration on my RPGs, what I don't enjoy is running around the same fucking are 800 times because the missions explanations are vague as fuck.

Find Malena mission: Look out for malena after saving her and being attacked by the elfs...I have run around for 20 minutes and I don't fucking see her anywhere. Then, ok ill do another mission, like the ati venom for the kayran...Im missing ether. Check all the people selling shit, nobody has ether :mad: check formulas...nope. check killing monsters....nope. ARGGGHHHHH

Tokubetsu

Sinatar said:
Just finished.

Game of the Year so far by a god damned landslide. I don't know how anything coming out this year can topple this, I really don't.

Complaints about the ending are being blown way out of proportion. All the plot strings are tied up, a scenario for the 3rd game is set up and you get to see the results of all your choices in the game come to fruition.

The secret boss fight in Act 3 was a real cocksucker though, took me almost 2 hours of retries to nail that fucker but the payoff was definitely worth it.

EDIT: Here's a shot of Geralt kitted out in all the best stuff in the game, snipped out the spoilery stuff.

Definitely agree with pretty everything you just said. As I said when I first beat it, I really hope we get at least a couple expansions out of this and not just a whole new game.
What secret boss?

To the poster above:
The Malena bit was hard, they don't really give you any clues but any mission that has you grabbing stuff like the antivenom, I remember 100% them telling you who to talk to about that.

itxaka said:
Fuck this shit.

Then, ok ill do another mission, like the ati venom for the kayran...Im missing ether. Check all the people selling shit, nobody has ether :mad: check formulas...nope. check killing monsters....nope. ARGGGHHHHH

The fuck you are talking about? Twice at the beginning of the quest they mention a person who can help you. He will tell you EXACTLY where the quest item is located. Is reading that much difficult?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Where can I find
a component for Kaydan trap
in Loredo's garden? Searched everywhere, found nothing.

Zeliard

itxaka said:
Fuck this shit.

I gotta be doing something wrong. I enjoy exploration on my RPGs, what I don't enjoy is running around the same fucking are 800 times because the missions explanations are vague as fuck.

Find Malena mission: Look out for malena after saving her and being attacked by the elfs...I have run around for 20 minutes and I don't fucking see her anywhere. Then, ok ill do another mission, like the ati venom for the kayran...Im missing ether. Check all the people selling shit, nobody has ether :mad: check formulas...nope. check killing monsters....nope. ARGGGHHHHH

Aether? Go buy some from the alchemist lady people think is a witch. Or did you not stumble upon her? She's in Lobinden.

As far as Malena, I've still got that one in my quest log, but I just figured it's something I don't have full info for yet. No point in aimlessly wandering around.

I must say, Chapter 1 is meatier than I expected it to be. I'm still there. :p There's more post-Kayran stuff than I expected there to be.

Sinatar

Tokubetsu said:
What secret boss?

The guy in the sewers behind the code door that you unlock by decoding the necromancy scroll. When you find him you can either get a respec or fight him for some phat loots. I was happy with my skill selection so I fought him... and fought him... and fought him... ugh.

itxaka

Defeatist
Castor Krieg said:
The fuck you are talking about? Twice at the beginning of the quest they mention a person who can help you. He will tell you EXACTLY where the quest item is located. Is reading that much difficult?

Cedric? I checked several times, he sells the formula for the anti vvenom but Im missing ether which he doesn't sell or anyone else

Aether? Go buy some from the alchemist lady people think is a witch. Or did you not stumble upon her? She's in Lobinden.

Anezca? She doesn't have any. Nor any formula to make it. is that the one that is interested
in the medallion you get from the guy in the prologue? the heart of melitele?

Tokubetsu

Sinatar said:
The guy in the sewers behind the code door that you unlock by decoding the necromancy scroll. When you find him you can either get a respec or fight him for some phat loots. I was happy with my skill selection so I fought him... and fought him... and fought him... ugh.

Oh god, I completely missed this. Fuuuuuu. I need to get going on my 2nd Iorveth playthrough but I'm trying to be patient and wait on AMD drivers for crossfire. I've got at least 3 more playthroughs planned...

itxaka said:
Cedric? I checked several times, he sells the formula for the anti vvenom but Im missing ether which he doesn't sell or anyone else

One of the shops in town sells aether.

Zeliard

itxaka said:
Anezca? She doesn't have any. Nor any formula to make it. is that the one that is interested
in the medallion you get from the guy in the prologue? the heart of melitele?

Yes, and she definitely does have some, because I was out of aether for the very same thing you're trying to make and bought some from her. :p I bought several bits of aether from her in fact because I was also out for Red Haze and Swallow. They reload their shops with stuff every couple of in-game days or so.

Tokubetsu

Zeliard said:
Yes, and she definitely does have some, because I was out of aether for the very same thing you're trying to make and bought some from her. :p I bought several bits of aether from her in fact because I was also out for Red Haze and Swallow. They reload their shops with stuff every couple of in-game days or so.

Fairly certain I bought aether from the incense guy as well.

Arozay

Sinatar said:
He's a cunt cause when he spawns the 2nd set of gargoyles he randomly melee's, but he has that indestrucible Quen so you get knocked down and the gargoyles finish you. The thing that sucked though is that I did that quest before going to the amphitheatre so I had nothing to use the staff on except the bandits after the boss.

Dina

thetrin said:
Quick Chapter 2 question.

I've cleared 3 of the 7 harpy nests, but I haven't cleared the mist yet. Can this quest only be completed once the mist has been cleared?

Where do you get this quest?

Tokubetsu

Deadly said:
In Act 1
There's a guy that asks you to test something and he said in a year or two you go check up on them to tell them the results. Does this quest actually conclude?

Did anyone do this/answer this guy?

Durante

Even the journal entries are entertaining in this game. Developing infrastructure for fun and profit!

witcher2-2011-05-21-22ffan.png

With all the console ports recently I had almost forgotten what real textures look like at 1080p. It's so glorious.

itxaka

Defeatist
Zeliard said:

I just booted the game. she doesn't have any. At all. I can even screencap it if you want so you see Im not crazy or anything :p

FAKE EDIT: Of course she doesn't have aether. She has ingredients THAT CONTAIN AETHER. FML.

I blame the shitty inventory menu :p

zlatko

Banned
Okay I'm having issues getting my final save found within the Witcher2 saves folder. I thought it'd be the one at the bottom of the list with the most recent time, but it's not.

Help?

Sinatar

zlatko said:
Okay I'm having issues getting my final save found within the Witcher2 saves folder. I thought it'd be the one at the bottom of the list with the most recent time, but it's not.

Help?

It's an autosave, should be the newest one. *shrug*

zlatko

Banned
Sinatar said:
It's an autosave, should be the newest one. *shrug*

Doh yup I was looking at manual saves. Got it.

I put it and its picture in a new folder I made. Can I now empty out the save folder and start a new game?

zlatko

Banned
@Sinatar

I think I found better weapons for both slots. Not 100% sure need to check the stats, but my main hand weapon is a Staff for human enemies and the sword in my right hand was made from Dragon Scales, Zerkkianimjakdjfalskd or something like that.

Sinatar

Once they finish up with The Witcher games I'd love to see CDPR take a shot at making a kick ass Conan the Barbarian RPG. I think they'd nail that so perfectly, hell Geralt is a lot like Conan as is.

zlatko said:
@Sinatar

I think I found better weapons for both slots. Not 100% sure need to check the stats, but my main hand weapon is a Staff for human enemies and the sword in my right hand was made from Dragon Scales, Zerkkianimjakdjfalskd or something like that.

Yea I had both those, they had worse damage then the ones I've got up there. The staff in particular had no enhancement slots which was a bummer.

zlatko

Banned
Sinatar said:
Once they finish up with The Witcher games I'd love to see CDPR take a shot at making a kick ass Conan the Barbarian RPG. I think they'd nail that so perfectly, hell Geralt is a lot like Conan as is.

Yea I had both those, they had worse damage then the ones I've got up there. The staff in particular had no enhancement slots which was a bummer.

The Staff I think has some hidden things about it. It's swinging arc can hit 3 people at once, and I've seen it randomly light people on fire, randomly lighting strike them, and I swear it can also turn people to stone and they shatter.

Sinatar

zlatko said:
The Staff I think has some hidden things about it. It's swinging arc can hit 3 people at once, and I've seen it randomly light people on fire, randomly lighting strike them, and I swear it can also turn people to stone and they shatter.

That's pretty badass. Makes sense given how hard it is to get that freaking thing.

Beat this in about 30 hours doing almost all the sidequests on normal. I swear I died more in the first chapter than in my playthrough of the first one. Sadly, I couldn't figure out how arm wrestling worked... It's kind of unsettling how they bombard you with awesome loot in Ch 3, when they don't even let you make the best armor formula obtained in Ch 2 until Ch 3, where it's worthless. Bring the next CDPR! Oh, making group attack a skill you have to obtained was a slap in the face.

Kyaw

Exuro said:
I missed it on my first playthrough, heck I didn't even know about that room until I was nearing the end of ch1 on it. There are a lot of places that are easy to miss. I don't know if it's intended or not but it's really refreshing going back and seeing things you previously missed out on. Now I gotta get rid of
this tattoo . Or maybe I'll keep it, its kind of cool.

Yeah i still need to get rid of it. Can't find the necessary herbs.

Also i missed like 2-3 side quests from Chapter 1 i think. Melitele's heart, arm wrestling and poker i think. There could be more. I'm gonna do them all in the next playthrough.

zlatko

Banned
My favorite part of my first playthrough:

Coming into Dethmold's chambers to find out he has a man slave on his bed as well as several wooden dildos. Just as Dethmold is going to do the no pants dance with him, Vernon comes in, slits his nuts off and cuts his throat. Wow.

Truly some epic shit.

Sinatar

zlatko said:

Coming into Dethmold's chambers to find out he has a man slave on his bed as well as several wooden dildos. Just as Dethmold is going to do the no pants dance with him, Vernon comes in, slits his nuts off and cuts his throat. Wow.

Truly some epic shit.

Man that sounds way cooler then what happens if you
choose to rescue Triss instead of going after Dethmold and Foltests bastard.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Sinatar said:
Man that sounds way cooler then what happens if you
choose to rescue Triss instead of going after Dethmold and Foltests bastard.

I dunno man, the
one versus a dozen men fight was intense. And Triss going "Geralt, did you kill all of these guys?" made me feel like a total badass when she asked.

Edit: Also, did
Anyone else feel like the baddest Witcher alive when you had to face off against the Dragon? After starting my second play through and revisiting the scene where he says you don't fight a dragon, you run. Thinking back about that fight and how there was hardly any hesitation when he started fighting it made Geralt seem so damn cool to me.

But maybe I'm just thinking too much into that stuff. >->

Arozay

zlatko said:

Truly some epic shit.
Doesn't he shove his nuts in his mouth before slitting his throat?

Sinatar

Stahsky said:
I dunno man, the
one versus a dozen men fight was intense. And Triss going "Geralt, did you kill all of these guys?" made me feel like a total badass when she asked.

Oh no doubt, that was badass as hell but I still really wanted to gut that slimy fucker (Dethmold)

zlatko said:

Truly some epic shit.

I think walking on Philippa the second time beats that.

Tacitus_

zlatko said:

You sure those aren't coming from the aoe talent in the swordmastery tree & critical effects? I'm freezing people and shattering them and torching them already in Act 1 on my 2nd playthrough since I put a Greater Crit mutagen into my talents.

zlatko

Banned
Tacitus_ said:
You sure those aren't coming from the aoe talent in the swordmastery tree & critical effects? I'm freezing people and shattering them and torching them already in Act 1 on my 2nd playthrough since I put a Greater Crit mutagen into my talents.

I don't think I even have that talent, and this wasn't happening with my previous swords, so it has to be the staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom