• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

bengraven said:
I just can't play the game yet until there are a few more bug fixes. After anticipating it for months, I'm not sure why I'm having issues getting into it, but the fear of another system freeze in Flotsam (which happens every single time I play) has put a damper on it.

The good news is a new patch is due out early next week...as in a few days. So hopefully alot of issues people are having will be resolved or at least some of the major ones.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
bengraven said:
I just can't play the game yet until there are a few more bug fixes. After anticipating it for months, I'm not sure why I'm having issues getting into it, but the fear of another system freeze in Flotsam (which happens every single time I play) has put a damper on it.

That's really weird. I've beaten the game (all while afking with it on, alt tabbing left and right, etc etc) and never had a single crash.

antonz

Stahsky said:
That's really weird. I've beaten the game (all while afking with it on, alt tabbing left and right, etc etc) and never had a single crash.
Same well into my 2nd playthrough and it remains bug/crash free

This game is incredible - spent nearly all day playing it and still in chapter 1. Looks fantastic at 1080p with my 460GTX + AM3 965 X4. Have it at 30-50fps which is more than good enough.

Games like this really make the time and money invested in PC gaming worth it. :)

Stahsky said:

i can say the same BUT with 5-7 hours straight some videos didn't load.. i had to skip
Geralts memory after the battle in Chapter 2

i played the game on an AMD 4850 with Intel E8400.. low settings with high textures at 1920x1080 and i feel like i missed out on a lot graphically

Zeliard

I'm tempted to look in the guide just to see exactly how the ecology stuff works in the Knowledge tab. I know reading a book on a certain monster shoots your ability level against them to 3/3 even if you haven't met one yet, and I assume you can otherwise gain levels simply by killing those monsters. I'm just wondering exactly what sort of damage bonuses you get from it.

Anyone else ending up getting the Hunter's Armor? Thing is such a massive upgrade from the other early leather armors, and you can get it relatively early in Chapter 1. Stats are 10 armor, +10 Vitality, +30% resistances to poison/bleeding/incineration and 3 enhancement slots. It looks really nice too.

Varna

Zeliard said:
Anyone else ending up getting the Hunter's Armor? Thing is such a massive upgrade from the other early leather armors, and you can get it relatively early in Chapter 1. Stats are 10 armor, +10 Vitality, +30% resistances to poison/bleeding/incineration and 3 enhancement slots. It looks really nice too.

I prefer the kayran armor...looks so fucken awesome. I pumped it up as high as I could because I just love the look so much. It has 9 def, 30 vitality and the same resistance as the hunters armor. 3 upgrade slots. Got my def to 15.

bengraven

Hawk269 said:
The good news is a new patch is due out early next week...as in a few days. So hopefully alot of issues people are having will be resolved or at least some of the major ones.

I'm hoping so...it seems to be a streaming issue when loading certain textures in Flotsam. I had the game running with most features turned on during the prologue, but the second I got to Flotsam it was running at literally one frame every 2 minutes.

Small gripes aside, I'm loving Act III so far. I like the fact that I am incredibly uneasy with every option offered. So far, I'm not running into choices that amount to "to act in your best interest and also become the hero, or flip someone off for two gold coins and then pile dung on your head." Instead, it's clear that I'm in over my head and only have half-truths to go by.

Zeliard

Varna said:
I prefer the kayran armor...looks so fucken awesome. I pumped it up as high as I could because I just love the look so much. It has 9 def, 30 vitality and the same resistance as the hunters armor. 3 upgrade slots. Got my def to 15.

Thing about the Hunter's Armor though is you can get it quite early in Chapter 1 since it's a part of the
Troll Trouble
quest. You had to have fulfilled certain criteria there. The crafting resources it demands are pretty modest as well. It's also nice since armors with slots at that point are pretty rare.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man that
Ghost mission in Flotsam where you have to go to the old church was hard for me
. Took me like 3 tries to get past that first section with those wraiths. Was at level 7 but reached level 8 while in there. I want to get stronger since I already tried the boss (Kraken or however you spell it :p) but he whips my ass so I'm guessing I have the wrong idea here as I haven't even damaged him once.

Coldsnap

Zeliard said:
Thing about the Hunter's Armor though is you can get it quite early in Chapter 1 since it's a part of the
Troll Trouble
quest. You had to have fulfilled certain criteria there. The crafting resources it demands are pretty modest as well. It's also nice since armors with slots at that point are pretty rare.

What do you have to do during the Troll Trouble quest to get it? Just curious

Zeliard

Coldsnap said:
What do you have to do during the Troll Trouble quest to get it? Just curious

When you go
visit Sendler, who has the wife's head on a mantle on his wall, you have to bargain with him to give it to you after winning a game of dice. After you challenge him and beat him in dice, you have to pick the choice that forgoes the money in favor of an item, and then you get a list of items to choose. One of them is the wife's head, which you take back to the troll and he gives you a diagram for Hunter's Armor in return.

JWong said:
OH MY JESUS CHRIST!

3 gigs of save files!

Wholly shit... that's crazy, I'm not even finished Chapter 1 and I have 1.5 gig's of saves... how can they POSSIBLY need to be so big? There must be SO many variables... man, that's so awesome :D

Coldsnap

Zeliard said:
When you go
visit Sendler, who has the wife's head on a mantle on his wall, you have to bargain with him to give it to you after winning a game of dice. After you challenge him and beat him in dice, you have to pick the choice that forgoes the money in favor of an item, and then you get a list of items to choose. One of them is the wife's head, which you take back to the troll and he gives you a diagram for Hunter's Armor in return.

ah ohk.

Soule

Could someone please explain mutagens to me? I think I'm about to finish chapter 1 and I've got a lot of them just chilling in my bags with no idea what to do with them :\

Exuro said:
I don't mind the length at all. My problem is the pacing at the end.

EXACTLY. it's plenty long for such a narrative game (took me about 22 hours), the end just comes too suddenly. the Ice Plains in the first one was an awesome ending. In this one they don't even really signal that the end is coming, you just go to what you think is the next mission, and boom, it's over.

Deadly

In Act 1
There's a guy that asks you to test something and he said in a year or two you go check up on them to tell them the results. Does this quest actually conclude?

Soule said:
Could someone please explain mutagens to me? I think I'm about to finish chapter 1 and I've got a lot of them just chilling in my bags with no idea what to do with them :\
As you progress through the skill trees, some of the higher level skills have mutagen slots. you add a mutagen and then the next time you put a point in that skill, you get the effects. there's not very many slots so you can probably throw away a lot of them. keep maybe 5 for good measure.

JWong

Banned
stump sock said:
EXACTLY. it's plenty long for such a narrative game (took me about 22 hours), the end just comes too suddenly. the Ice Plains in the first one was an awesome ending. In this one they don't even really signal that the end is coming, you just go to what you think is the next mission, and boom, it's over.
It suffers sequalitis.

If they had something, a cutscene at the end to wrap things up, would have been nicer than extremely long conversation dialogues.

Zeliard

stump sock said:
As you progress through the skill trees, some of the higher level skills have mutagen slots. you add a mutagen and then the next time you put a point in that skill, you get the effects. there's not very many slots so you can probably throw away a lot of them. keep maybe 5 for good measure.

Also be careful about mutagen upgrades since, short of loading a save, you can't undo them once you've modified a talent.

Just finished the game. Really great ride, though I'll have to echo the statements of others that chapter 3 and the epilogue were fairly disappointing compared to the amazing experiences of 1 and 2. Oh well, bring on the DLC/expansions!

Has anyone successfully downloaded "Troll Trouble" DLC from the launcher?

It keeps completing and then starts over after it says "Verifying data." It did this like five times before I gave up. I really want to play this before I leave Chapter 1.

Soule said:

I believe you add them to your skills. But choose carefully, you can't undo them ever. One per skill, which reminds me, I need to do this too...

Varna

Requesting a slight spoiler...
When you lift the curse in chapter 3 does that mean the end is near
? Kind of bummed out if it is since I heard the last two chapters aren't all that long. I don't want this game to end. :(

I should mention I am currently gathering all the items to prepare for the event
. Items of faith, courage, death... all of that
. I'm all out of side quest.

"Wow... things are really heating up. I wonder where things are heading. So many pitfalls, some many weighty decision, so many--"

Game Over

"oh..."

Welp my game just broke. After a vision quest in chapter 2, the quest didn't advance and now Geralt cant meditate, at all. Time to load up an earlier save I guess.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Lostconfused said:
Welp my game just broke. After a vision quest in chapter 2, the quest didn't advance and now Geralt cant meditate, at all. Time to load up an earlier save I guess.
You should at least have plenty to choose from.

EternalGamer said:
I believe you add them to your skills. But choose carefully, you can't undo them ever. One per skill, which reminds me, I need to do this too...

I think I still had a slot left over at the end. I also didn't embrace the adrenalin system until much too late in the game. A lot of things I'll need to address on my second playthrough. :)

epmode

EternalGamer said:
Has anyone successfully downloaded "Troll Trouble" DLC from the launcher?

It keeps completing and then starts over after it says "Verifying data." It did this like five times before I gave up. I really want to play this before I leave Chapter 1.
I'm having similar trouble right now. There is some useful information buried here: http://www.en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/17/#comment-207167438

Also, a patch is coming early next week to address the DLC problems, among other things.

edit: Official response is on the site.

Problems with the DLC
May 20, 2011, 10:26 p.m.

Some of you may still experience problems with the DLCs - Troll Trouble and others as well. The problem is based on the bad CRC being loaded in the Launcher and cached on your local machine. Because with each connection the Launcher prefers the cache not the server - you can't download the DLC as there is CRC mismatch.

We are aware of that problem and we have a solution already prepared in the upcoming patch.
Until that we ask you kindly not to download the DLCs until the patch release as it won't work without it.

Soule

Thanks so much for explaining the mutagen stuff... I think I'm gonna restart despite being well and truly over Flotsam and only just getting a breath of fresh air in chapter 2. The more I look at my skill tree the more I realize I've fucked it up haha spread points around thinly in skills I don't use/need, but at least this time I know what to do and where to go so shouldn't take tooooo long to catch back up.

Varna said:
Requesting a slight spoiler...
When you lift the curse in chapter 3 does that mean the end is near
? Kind of bummed out if it is since I heard the last two chapters aren't all that long. I don't want this game to end. :(

I should mention I am currently gathering all the items to prepare for the event
. Items of faith, courage, death... all of that
. I'm all out of side quest.

The next two bits are, accumulatively, of decent length. I wouldn't be too worried, and their are enough major choices to warrant a second playthrough.

ColonialRaptor said:
Wholly shit... that's crazy, I'm not even finished Chapter 1 and I have 1.5 gig's of saves... how can they POSSIBLY need to be so big? There must be SO many variables... man, that's so awesome :D
No, pretty sure they're just badly done. Once they reach around 20MB in size each, they revert back down to a smaller size again. Check the directory for proof.

Dmax3901

Yeah one more cutscene would have done it.

Just something with Triss would have been fine, sex or no :p. Instead we have a mysterious Ladybug, Witcher 3 villain confirmed?

ColonialRaptor said:

Actually it's because it makes a new save every time it auto-saves. So really it's all wasted space.

Exuro

JWong said:
It suffers sequalitis.

If they had something, a cutscene at the end to wrap things up, would have been nicer than extremely long conversation dialogues.
It's worse than sequalitis. At least in games such as ME2 you knew "this is the end" going into the suicide mission. In TW2 Chapter 3 falsely presents itself as a full chapter ala 1 and 2, then 3-5 hours later you hit the epilogue which I honestly didn't know how long to expect, but 20-40 minutes was way too short. The game goes from a fast, energetic pace in the prologue, to cooling down into a nice and even pace in chapter 1 and 2 and then chapter 3 appears to continue that but jumps into overdrive and the game is over. It's not just the ending. I think Chapter 3 hurt the ending more than the ending itself. Had it been extended with a few quests in the snowy mountain area(which was beautiful, shame it's just a corridor) followed by the camp with some extra quests and some sort of real end game cutscene I would had absolutely loved it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Actually it's because it makes a new save every time it auto-saves. So really it's all wasted space.

Yea and the saves themselves are quite small, the 11 meg BMP's they make for each save on the other hand are not.

The Witcher 1 save I imported was something like #640. I seem to remember that loading the loading menu took ages by the time I was was done playing Witcher 1.

Arozay

Dmax3901 said:
Just something with Triss would have been fine, sex or no :p. Instead we have a mysterious Ladybug, Witcher 3 villain confirmed?
I went back and killed Letho after the no-fight ending thinking he'd crush the ladybug this time or something :(

Exuro

Zeliard said:
lol @ the
Hungover
quest in Chapter 1. Love how that quest is prompted too. And you can easily miss it entirely.
I missed it on my first playthrough, heck I didn't even know about that room until I was nearing the end of ch1 on it. There are a lot of places that are easy to miss. I don't know if it's intended or not but it's really refreshing going back and seeing things you previously missed out on. Now I gotta get rid of
this tattoo . Or maybe I'll keep it, its kind of cool.

mrpeabody

Received mine in the mail today. There is a LOT of stuff in this box. Real manual, complete strategy guide covering the whole game, physical coin, beautiful two-sided map, a "letter" about in-game politics, a papercraft, not to mention the behind-the-scenes DVD and OST.

I'm enjoying this game and I haven't even installed it yet. CDPR is a developer that loves its customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom