• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Yurt said:
How can you say that :p The order were practically Nazis :p And I'll never side with racists even if they wear cool towels on their head.

elves are nazis too now. They're driven to extreme, hate runs deep. Neither side takes steps to peaceful resolution until they bled dry.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
subversus said:
elves are nazis too now. They're driven to extreme, hate runs deep. Neither side takes steps to peaceful resolution until they bled dry.

You're right, but they're driven to it as you mentioned. They want equal rights by any means possible, while humans just want them dead because they have pointy ears and cool beards.

HOW CAN THEY KILL THE DWARVES. THE DWARVES MAN !

Osietra

Banned
Just started Chapter 2 with Iorveths' side.
When the dead soldiers apparated during the cut-scene I thought oh, long cut-scene ahoy. So much fun to play. And then a golden owl, with a huge glowing shield, and someone whispering 'Sasha', and trippy battles going on around you. And then the specter attack with the huge guy. And they ensnare the owl. Just holy amazement.

And that's why EA is bound to snap them up.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone got a save for for the beginning of Chapter 3 (roach run through with
Hensalt's death
please thank you. My save file has made Geralt have no arms and legs :(

Yurt said:
How can you say that :p The order were practically Nazis :p And I'll never side with racists even if they wear cool towels on their head.

My problem with the order in the first one was that Sigfreid's a total corward. Both sides were good/bad in different ways. I went with the Scoit'tael based simply on Sigfried's cowardice.

ZombieFred said:
Hensalt's death

You gotta post a SS of stumpy Geralt..

Salaadin

Osietra said:
Just started Chapter 2 with Iorveths' side.
When the dead soldiers apparated during the cut-scene I thought oh, long cut-scene ahoy. So much fun to play. And then a golden owl, with a huge glowing shield, and someone whispering 'Sasha', and trippy battles going on around you. And then the specter attack with the huge guy. And they ensnare the owl. Just holy amazement.

And that's why EA is bound to snap them up.

Your icon is so weird. It looks like its moving..

ZombieFred said:
Hensalt's death

You sure its your save file and not something else causing it?
Check the Performance Thread and see if any of the listed issues pertain to what you are seeing.

I think there was something with AA being turned on in CCC or Nvidia Control Panel causing parts (or all) of Geralt to disappear.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
geraltwat.png

All my AA has been disabled in CCC and when I made a new game I can see all of Geralt (this was another save someone sent me since my Hard Drive went and I loaded it from there, but as you can see...) so it's definitely the save file I got at that part.

Bruiserk

I feel like I'm really going to enjoy the environment in which Chapter 3 starts up with Iorveth. I love the
mountain scenery and the snow particles.
It reminds me of the Wall from Game Of Thrones.

Exuro

Bruiserk said:
I feel like I'm really going to enjoy the environment in which Chapter 3 starts up with Iorveth. I love the
mountain scenery and the snow particles.
It reminds me of the Wall from Game Of Thrones.
Sucks that you're in it for all of a minute. Devs said that things happen in between acts so that would be cool to have an area with that scenery.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
My problem with the order in the first one was that Sigfreid's a total corward. Both sides were good/bad in different ways. I went with the Scoit'tael based simply on Sigfried's cowardice.

That's a good point ! I'm glad they made both Roche and Iorveth badasses.

I'm replaying TW1 so I can get an Order save to start TW2 with next time. I agree that the two sides are much better in TW2 because they're both somewhat sympathetic and likeable. Siding with Order in the first game feels like you're hanging out with one of your mates who appears to be increasingly losing his shit, and all the while you're trying to be a positive influence but it doesn't seem to be working; see the chapter 3
bank robbery
for examples.

The elves are massively racist too, but Yaevinn does claim that he's fighting for freedom for all races and doesn't do anything which makes you question it much. The Order want human dominance and non-humans in ghettos, that's it. It also doesn't help that, if you've already played the game once,
you know that the leader of the Order is the penultimate villain in the game, followed by The King of the Hunt.

And besides, Siegfried really is a little bitch.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm replaying TW1 so I can get an Order save to start TW2 with next time

Have fun man! but if you're replaying TW1 for this reason only, you should go to Gamefaqs it's filled with TW1 saves.

jim-jam bongs said:
The elves are massively racist too, but Yaevinn does claim that he's fighting for freedom for all races and doesn't do anything which makes you question it much.
And besides, Siegfried really is a little bitch.
I like how the racism theme is handled in the series, it's so authentic. In reality i think the racism is equal in both sides. Yaevinn claims he does it for al races which is BS, of course that claim is uttered since he is fighting a losing battle, with the wind against the sails. The Scoiatel will grasp for any tiny drop of support even if it comes from the devil himself.

Sigfried being a bitch comment, why is that? I Played Witcher 1 neutral, remember stumbling with him in the sewers but i went my way and then again at the bank. Anyway i didn't hang with the man much so i was wondering what makes him so unlikeable.

Something new (to me at least) happen in Flotsam. Since when did Roach men wandered the woods? I bumped with Fen and 3 others. I was killing a Queen endrega so i lured her to the guys and gang banged her. Then ran into a nekker's nest and the guys did some cleaning also. This is the type of stuff i like in RPG's, like when the AI surprises the user.

Refreshment.01 said:
I like how the racism theme is handled in the series, it's so authentic. In reality i think the racism is equal in both sides. Yaevinn claims he does it for al races which is BS, of course that claim is uttered since he is fighting a losing battle, with the wind against the sails. The Scoiatel will grasp for any tiny drop of support even if it comes from the devil himself.

True, but I think that they're still a pretty clear lesser of the two evils. Even though the hopeless situation they find themselves in is the reason they're willing to accept a compromise it's still a lot better than the alternative.

Refreshment.01 said:
Sigfried being a bitch comment, why is that? I Played Witcher 1 neutral, remember stumbling with him in the sewers but i went my way and then again at the bank. Anyway i didn't hang with the man much so i was wondering what makes him so unlikeable.

He's kind of a clueless wimp basically. The part where I really started to dislike him was in chapter 3
during the bank robbery. If you wait for him and enter the bank together, there's a bit of dialogue with the elves near the door. One of them calls you D'hoine and Siegfried gets all agitated and says "Duan?! Who is this Duan they keep going on about?" The guy seems to hate non-humans pretty intensely, you would assume that he would know enough about them to know what that meant.

And if you take him to the party at Shani's place as your guest he makes it pretty clear that he has no idea about the conditions under which non-humans are living in the ghetto because of the (false) edicts from Foltest which the Order are enforcing. It's hard for me to respect someone who appears to be extremely passionate about views which they haven't really explored in depth.

In contrast, the Squirrels have a legitimate beef, though I don't agree with how they go about trying to resolve it.

I jumped back into The Witcher 1 playthrough that I cut off when 2 came out. In the swamps in chapter 2 now (I thought and still think the swamp is great). I played neutral the first time and tried my best not to get involved with either side.

I think I might roll with the squirrels this time around, but I'm scared off by their enormous foreheads. Question though
if you side with the Order does that have any influence on your interactions with the Grand Master?

jim-jam bongs said:
He's kind of a clueless wimp basically. The part where I really started to dislike him was in chapter 3
during the bank robbery.

And if you take him to the party at Shani's place as your guest he makes it pretty clear that he has no idea about the conditions under which non-humans are living in the ghetto because of the (false) edicts from Foltest which the Order are enforcing. It's hard for me to respect someone who appears to be extremely passionate about views which they haven't really explored in depth.

In contrast, the Squirrels have a legitimate beef, though I don't agree with how they go about trying to resolve it.
:O Now it becomes clear Sigfried's lack of popularity, yet he seems like it was treated with a lot of depth by the developers, so that makes him a very interesting character to interact with.

The more i think about the more i like Witcher's 1 setting and characters. The best NPC's from 2 are amazing but 1 seems to have a bigger amount of them. Of course in terms of gameplay mechanics, refinement and graphics TW2 goes on top.

I wonder if good console sales could become an incentive big enough to have CDP porting Witcher 1 to the new engine or at least higher an external party to do i. Goes withouth saying i would prefer new projects from them but an interesting idea to consider.

Yeah I must admit that The Witcher is still my preferred of the two, it strokes the CRPG obsessive in me better than the sequel just because of the insane amount of stuff in the game. I wandered into a place I'd never been on this run and used the fact that I'd read a book written by Kalkstein to debate the merits of alchemy with some guy, who was so impressed that he gave me some free scrolls.

I seriously think that they could port it to consoles by implementing lock-on targeting and updating the UIs for inventory/journal/character/alchemy etc which are all heavily mouse oriented.

toasty_T said:
I jumped back into The Witcher 1 playthrough that I cut off when 2 came out. In the swamps in chapter 2 now (I thought and still think the swamp is great). I played neutral the first time and tried my best not to get involved with either side.

I think I might roll with the squirrels this time around, but I'm scared off by their enormous foreheads. Question though
if you side with the Order does that have any influence on your interactions with the Grand Master?

Swamp is awesome, killing monsters by the dozen and picking sacks full of herbs is pretty damned relaxing.

I haven't got to that point in this run (and I'm stunned to find myself rather enjoying Dungeon Siege 3 just now so I don't know when I'll resume it). According to the Wiki
Siegfried and the Order do join with you to fight the Grandmaster, and he becomes the new Grandmaster at the end of the game. Apparently if you import a save with that ending you run into him in Loche Muinne too.

I don't get the length complaints about Witcher 2. Maybe because I have less freetime these days, but Witcher 1 took me like four months to complete playing a few hours a night and a break or two for other games. I think it's because I'm kind OCD with RPG's. I'm still mucking about Flotsam in Act 1 doing all the side quests and such. Granted, I've only had the game a few weeks with most gametime spent on the weekends. I gotta disagree on siding with the elves in Witcher 1 though, or the order for that matter. It was tough, but I decided to remain neutral. I think the beauty of The Witcher is that it takes it time to reveal the motives and means of the dual factions. I totally wanted to side with the elves at the start, but later in the game I kind of realized they were just as bad as the order in some ways.
And, this is the weirdest thing as a mainly console gamer, I kinda miss the combat of the first one. Weird, I know, but I felt much more like a badass in Witcher 1. The combat in this feels more slow and clunky for some reason.

subversus

Yurt said:
You're right, but they're driven to it as you mentioned. They want equal rights by any means possible, while humans just want them dead because they have pointy ears and cool beards.

HOW CAN THEY KILL THE DWARVES. THE DWARVES MAN !

Well, according to books they were driven there a lomg time ago. You'll see that nobody wants peace really if you read them someday, Sword of Destiny especially.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Good to see this thread busy all the time. I haven't touched it since the first patch (played through it twice, though) Any word on expansions and what did the newer patches bring to the table? Worth another play through yet?

subversus

Stahsky said:
Good to see this thread busy all the time. I haven't touched it since the first patch (played through it twice, though) Any word on expansions and what did the newer patches bring to the table? Worth another play through yet?

According to their latest interview Gop said they'll continue working on balancing uneven difficulty level throughout the game and hinted at an extended edition release. The team moved to 360 development but there's also a team working on post-release support which will be incorporated in 360 version.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
subversus said:
According to their latest interview Gop said they'll continue working on balancing uneven difficulty level throughout the game and hinted at an extended edition release. The team moved to 360 development but there's also a team working on post-release support which will be incorporated in 360 version.
I really hope they don't tone down the difficulty too much. I actually liked how unforgiving parts were. The lack of focus testing showed through, and while it was quirky, something about it made it more endearing than the average "mainstream" title.

nib95

Banned
Ok so I started this yesterday. My second game coming back to gaming in recent weeks (first was Crysis 2). Immediately I was captivated by the atmosphere, characters and art direction.

But I must say, as someone who's never played Witcher (1), the game starts off WAY too heavy handed. Half the time you have no idea what anyone is talking about (links to the past a LOT) or what to do. They throw you in the deep end with little to no explanation for anything. Combat, magic abilities, how to's etc. You kind of just have to trial and error and figure it all out, and it can be quite daunting.

I mean, all the characters go on about how Geralt is some bad ass, but early on I was getting mowed down to no avail. Finally started getting the hang of it with better use of the roll ability (blocking with the armoured foe's) but still even now (much better with it and can take out big groups with more ease) still not 100% confident with it. Keep feeling like there should be a counter button or move? Similar to Arkham Assylums.

Even the little tutorial windows that pop up disappear far too quickly and I only just realised you can view them again in the menu.

But that was early on.

Now I've really got to grips with the game more, I don't think I've wanted to go back and play again this much with any game since Uncharted 2. I am HOOKED. The VA, the world, characters, depth, my word. So magnificent you're overwhelmed with goodness. Dialogue is witty, believable, dark, bold and intelligent.

The amount of depth is incredible, with items, upgrades, abilities and all. I mean, I still feel like the game is throwing mountains of possibility at me whilst I struggle to comprehend it all. I'm a bit lost with items etc, what to keep, what not to, where to spend my money etc. There's just SO much you can buy and do, it can all get a bit difficult to wade through.

Certainly one of the meatiest, content rich games I've played in a while.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
nib95 said:
Keep feeling like there should be a counter button or move? Similar to Arkham Assylums.

There is ! It's a talent called Riposte in the sword tree.

The amount of depth is incredible, with items, upgrades, abilities and all. I mean, I still feel like the game is throwing mountains of possibility at me whilst I struggle to comprehend it all. I'm a bit lost with items etc, what to keep, what not to, where to spend my money etc. There's just SO much you can buy and do, it can all get a bit difficult to wade through.

If you don't mind using mods, check out the inventory mods in the Performance thread.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah I must admit that The Witcher is still my preferred of the two, it strokes the CRPG obsessive in me better than the sequel just because of the insane amount of stuff in the game. I wandered into a place I'd never been on this run and used the fact that I'd read a book written by Kalkstein to debate the merits of alchemy with some guy, who was so impressed that he gave me some free scrolls.

I've come around to this a bit myself, and it's not even a knock on the sequel. TW2 is much punchier, refined and has a broader appeal (just look at this thread vs. TW1). I have no qualms with TW2's length, but I was very fond of TW1's slow burn pace. It had a greater focus on smaller details and events, like the little party with Shani and Dandelion, and I found it very rewarding to go out of my way to talk to every NPC and explore every nook and cranny since you could often stumble across easy to miss details.

I dunno, I guess it just had that engrossing style of a classic CRPG game where it can suck you in for hours at a time as you take your time to absorb of all the intricate details of the world. In TW2 it felt like most of what I was doing was tied to the main plot, which was always pushing things forward, but I guess that's a sacrifice needed for better pacing. TW1 had a lot of content that some would call 'filler', but I definitely loved the meaty, 50 hour adventure.

I love both games, but TW1 felt more fulfilling in the end, despite all of the backtracking and rough patches.

subversus

thetrin said:
I really hope they don't tone down the difficulty too much. I actually liked how unforgiving parts were. The lack of focus testing showed through, and while it was quirky, something about it made it more endearing than the average "mainstream" title.

I think that was not about toning down, but make it more consistent throughout the game. They focus test their games a lot, just on a different audience.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
DrBo42 said:
I couldn't make it past the prologue combat and gave up at release. I really need to get back into this, haha.

You can do it, son. The difficulty can be uneven, but most of the challenge is in getting over that first hump and learning the timing of combat as well as utilizing your signs and traps/bombs effectively. It's a bit toned down now but the prologue is tough for a lot of people since they just throw you into it without any real tutorials. As others have said, it's laughably easy the second time you play it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Snuggler said:
I love both games, but TW1 felt more fulfilling in the end, despite all of the backtracking and rough patches.

I didn't mind the backtracking or the swamp tbh :p But the combat was..annoying. Talent points never felt like talent points, you rarely "gain" any new ability, its just +damage +defense etc.

I actually played the game with a pad lol It made the combat considerably more tolerable.

I've gone into gaming depression after deciding not to play this again for a fourth consecutive time.

No sense of fulfillment from playing anything whatsoever. Went back to the first game but something unlike boredom is impeding me. After about 15-20 minutes I feel like I've had my fill for the day and I'm the type of person who can sit down for 2-3 hour sessions easily.

I'm really, really bored now haha.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I guess I lucked out since I had some awesome games to play right after TW2. As soon as I finished, I played Alpha Protocol, which was awesome and now I'm playing Bloonlines which is probably the awesomest game ever. I haven't had to deal with any shortage of choice and consequence, both of those games are packed with it.

...and then I've got Arcanum and Planescape: Torment lined up next, so much CRPG goodness.

subversus

Snuggler said:
I guess I lucked out since I had some awesome games to play right after TW2. As soon as I finished, I played Alpha Protocol, which was awesome and now I'm playing Bloonlines which is probably the awesomest game ever. I haven't had to deal with any shortage of choice and consequence, both of those games are packed with it.

yes, you lucked out.

(*starts Bloodlines*)

Balehead

So I've gone down the swordsmanship path with my talent choices, and it seems like no one can damage me anymore. I can basically just hold down E for the duration of any fight, and attack when I see fit. On top of that my strikes hit nearby enemies as well. There was a perfect balance for my taste a couple of levels ago when I'd actually have to manage the energy used by parrying, but parrying wasn't quite as useless as it was during the prologue. Spellcasting and alchemy have little use to me anymore. Hopefully things change a bit later on.

Music is clearly a step down from the first game, I don't remember anything about it despite spending 17 hours with the game so far. Other than that the sound design feels solid to me.

I'm really enjoying the atmosphere of the game, and the writing is great considering the competition. It feels like some of the characters could actually say these things if they were real, which says a lot about the writing in my opinion. Sure it's not exactly Oscar worthy, but it's still above most other games.

Better try to wrap this up before the summer sale begins on steam, too bad I've had a week off which makes it difficult to start again.

Kyaw

Apparently it's personal reasons from what i've heard but nonetheless, he was a very cool guy.
He was so enthusiastic about The Witcher.

That's odd. He was previewing the 360 version only last week.

Good luck to him. I wonder who from the team will replace him as the English guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom