• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Zzoram said:
What paths are you guys specializing down? What level do you guys roughly finish the game at?

I did magic (Quen 2 is OP as hell), but as far as I understand, the game gets piss easy for every specialization around act 2. I finished the game at level 33 (cap is 35) and did maybe 80%(?) of the quests.

Zzoram

Are you guys using a lot of potions, oils, and bombs? Are they only necessary at the hardest difficulty like in the first game?

Both Witcher games seem to follow a similar structure. Prologue/Tutorial, Prison Escape, Investigation, Political Intrigue

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
On normal I went Sword/Magic. Upgrade Quen and you'll be good to go :p

Are you guys using a lot of potions, oils, and bombs? Are they only necessary at the hardest difficulty like in the first game?

Not necessary on normal. Unless you went full Alchemy ? It's fun to use them though. The Cat potion will definitely help you in a couple of quests. It's good for stealth/following trails.

How much harder than normal is hard? Can you adjust difficulty only when starting a new game?

You die really fast :p and you'll be forced to use potions and bombs.

You can change the difficulty whenever you want in the options.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Zzoram said:
What paths are you guys specializing down? What level do you guys roughly finish the game at?

you should go swordsmanship + alchemy (buffed up bomb damage) or magic + swordsmanship. These are very easy overpowered builds but only if you do them right. Choose what suits best.

Zzoram

So is it really true that letting Aryan live gets you an inventory weight boost? Because I'm finding the 250 weight limit really annoying. I'm always hitting it, and there isn't a storage chest anywhere.

subversus

Zzoram said:
How much harder than normal is hard? Can you adjust difficulty only when starting a new game?

yes, you can change difficulty any time.

Also you can delete saves in-game by using del button.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zzoram said:

I'm probably late to this, but alchemy/crafting is much more important in this game (on Normal difficulty). Bombs bailed me out of a lot of sticky situations, particularly when I was facing a horde of enemies. Potions aren't always essential, but they can still give you an edge. It's always good to have a healthy supply of bombs and traps, and you'll always have plenty of components to make them. To avoid hitting the inventory limit, it's smart to craft items anytime you're in town and to brew up potions/bombs often so you don't end up overstocked.

On the topic of builds, it's smart to put it a little in all categories, since there are some must-have abilities in each, but I found that focusing on magic made Geralt an unstoppable badass. Leveled up quen, igni, and aard were all very useful in combat.

subversus

Snuggler said:
On the topic of builds, it's smart to put it a little in all categories, since there are some must-have abilities in each, but I found that focusing on magic made Geralt an unstoppable badass. Leveled up quen, igni, and aard were all very useful in combat.

pretty much everthing makes him an unstoppable badass in the end.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So I missed the Steam sale, and didn't want to wait in hopes of a re-deal at the end when D2D had this for $33.49.

Playing with a PS3 DS3 through motioninjoy. It almost seems like it was made for a gamepad.

I'm still in the beginning, gone through the 1st 3 choices and on the
Monastery
option now.

So far, impressive.. maybe it's because I just got done watching Game of Thrones, but this is giving the same vibe.. very cool.

Zzoram

subversus said:
pretty much everthing makes him an unstoppable badass in the end.

Not that there is anything wrong with being an unstoppable badass, that's the best feeling.

Does this game support the 360 pad natively? How does it compare to M/KB?

coopolon

Zzoram said:

I went straight swords and the game was silly easy by about half way into act 1. I hit the level cap of 35 very early as well, like I think right before the end of the second act I was 35 and could not gain any more levels.

Zzoram

So to do all the side quests in Flotsam, do I have to wander around outside Flotsam until I stumble upon the locations and enemies? I'm not really sure where I should be going, wasn't the area around Flotsam all Squirrel territory?

Zzoram said:
So to do all the side quests in Flotsam, do I have to wander around outside Flotsam until I stumble upon the locations and enemies? I'm not really sure where I should be going, wasn't the area around Flotsam all Squirrel territory?

What quests are you doing? Usually the quests give some indication where to go.

May be able to point you in the right direction otherwise.

This game has some of the most satisfying combat. I just did the quest to fight the Endrega Queens, it was tough and I died a few times (playing on hard) but when they were dead it felt like an accomplishment and not just hacking up some trash mob.

The game is so good, I'm thinking of going back to play W1 when I finish but I hear the combat isn't as fun.

subversus

Zzoram said:

you SHOULD wander around. There are more quests, locations, also loot.

Finally finished the game after a slow playthrough. I chose
to kill the Prince at the start and sided with Ieorveth and didn't kill Letho.
Really fun game overall, playing from the get go on Hard really made it last longer I think, but it wasn't all that hard after a while, I didn't use that much alchemy either.

I want to replay first Witcher but I don't think I could ever go back, they should remake the first one on this engine. How drastic were the differences when importing saves from the previous game, I didn't end up doing that.

Tom Penny

Just finished it. Great game. Weird how the difficulty was backwards but overall good times. Easily the best looking RPG I've ever played :) More battles next time !!!

In retrospect I'm pretty disappointed at the amount of sexual conquests in this game compared to the previous. All the mages should have been ploughable and [spolier] Saskia especially even though she likes dwarves apparently...[/spoiler]. It wasn't even quality over quantity to be honest, except for Triss' scene which is scripted for story.

ultron87

Man, that (chapter 1)
Kayran was really good at murdering me.

Are all the bosses just trial and error fests like that was?

subversus

The guy has seen all 16 endings and now he receives this t-shirt.

T-Shirt_contest_16times.png

ultron87 said:
Man, that (chapter 1)
Kayran was really good at murdering me.

Are all the bosses just trial and error fests like that was?

hahahaha, you are yet to encounter another Chapter 1 boss.

But he's really beatable if you take a good sword, a lot of bombs/daggers with you. Also feel free to watch his youtube video or set the difficulty to easy.

also remember: USE STRONG BLOWS and read books. that's IMPORTANT. and by reading books about monsters I mean reading them because they contain a lot of useful hints. I was fighting a boss (well, a high-level enemy who was acting as a mini-boss) for 40 minutes until I read the book about him.

Zzoram said:
So is it really true that letting Aryan live gets you an inventory weight boost? Because I'm finding the 250 weight limit really annoying. I'm always hitting it, and there isn't a storage chest anywhere.

It's technically cheating, but just download the no weight limit mod. Weight limits are a personal pet peeve of mine in games. As far as sidequests, what version did you get? You should have a digital or physical guide no matter which one you got. If you don't want to use a guide just talk to everyone you meet I guess. As far as specializations, I've been doing the swordsmanship path, which is cool, but it's really up to you. Magic seems to play a bigger role in combat this time around, which is a lot of about positioning and effective blocking. Like people have said, the game starts out hard, but by mid-Chapter 2 it starts getting easier and you feel a little overpowered.

I love this game by the way. Nearing the start of Chapter III on my Roche playthrough and can't wait to start a second game doing an Ivoreth playthrough.

I should be doing hw said:
In retrospect I'm pretty disappointed at the amount of sexual conquests in this game compared to the previous. All the mages should have been ploughable and [spolier] Saskia especially even though she likes dwarves apparently...[/spoiler]. It wasn't even quality over quantity to be honest, except for Triss' scene which is scripted for story.

Deathmould *shudder*

In retrospect I'm pretty disappointed at the amount of sexual conquests in this game compared to the previous.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if the end of the Path to Visions quest in Chapter 2 (Roche's path) is a reactive outcome of what you've been doing in the game? I got a really weird vision
There was a giant chicken and penis shaped mushrooms everywhere. I'm assuming the chicken was to symbolize a cock and the mushrooms were all falic symbols
The reason I ask is because I ploughed everything I could before that point, so I wonder if that part changes depending on if you've been good.

So 4th time here that I finished the game. 2 times roche's path, 2 times iorveth. Guess I have seen pretty much everything that could be in the game. Now I can't wait to The Witcher 3, gonna read the books until there.

imoTEP12

Zzoram said:
Not that there is anything wrong with being an unstoppable badass, that's the best feeling.

Does this game support the 360 pad natively? How does it compare to M/KB?

Yes it does and I actually liked using it better then M/KB.

coopolon

So true. After beating the game I thought I must have missed all the conquests so I googled it, turns out I didn't miss any. I think Geralt is losing his libido in his old age.

SoulClap

Finished the game finally. GOTY! Going to do another playthrough in a couple months and go down the Iorveth path. I gotta say the fight with
the Operator
was the toughest battle in the game. It had me pretty damn frustrated with the combat using a game pad.

God damn CDPROJEKT at dat choices. I just realized at the end of Act II I'm going to have to do two Act III playthroughs on Roche's path before even starting an Ivoreth playthrough.

I had to create two saves because of a certain character. Holy mother of God I would have killed for this kind of a game when I was younger. An RPG with replay value? What planet am I on? You I know I have a job CDPROJEKT, right? You realize the next few months I'm going to still be consumed with this game. I don't deserve such goodness.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
GillianSeed79 said:
God damn CDPROJEKT at dat choices. I just realized at the end of Act II I'm going to have to do two Act III playthroughs on Roche's path before even starting an Ivoreth playthrough.

I had to create two saves because of a certain character. Holy mother of God I would have killed for this kind of a game when I was younger. An RPG with replay value? What planet am I on? You I know I have a job CDPROJEKT, right? You realize the next few months I'm going to still be consumed with this game. I don't deserve such goodness.

While TW2 is a much much much better game, you should try Alpha protocol next. Read Snuggler's thread it convinced me to give it a shot and I'm glad I did. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432619

it was 4 or 5 dollars on steam a few days ago.

Yurt said:
While TW2 is a much much much better game, you should try Alpha protocol next. Read Snuggler's thread it convinced me to give it a shot and I'm glad I did. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432619

it was 4 or 5 dollars on steam a few days ago.

Oh, yeah, I already have AP. I'm kind of weird, though, because I didn't really think it was balanced or that great. The story was cool, but I was playing as a stealth build until I got to this boss that raped me because I had no points in firearms. I know I could of kept playing, but I quit after that. It was just kind of frustrating tbqh.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
GillianSeed79 said:
Oh, yeah, I already have AP. I'm kind of weird, though, because I didn't really think it was balanced or that great. The story was cool, but I was playing as a stealth build until I got to this boss that raped me because I had no points in firearms. I know I could of kept playing, but I quit after that. It was just kind of frustrating tbqh.

I went with a stealth/pistols/martial arts build. Yeah its hard to beat the bosses without a few points in pistols, you can kill them in 5 seconds or something ridiculous like that. The epilogue choices made the game for me.

Zzoram

SpartanForce said:
So 4th time here that I finished the game. 2 times roche's path, 2 times iorveth. Guess I have seen pretty much everything that could be in the game. Now I can't wait to The Witcher 3, gonna read the books until there.

I'm probably only going to beat the game once, twice tops.

Should I side with Roche or Iorveth? Which is more fun?

Zzoram said:
I'm probably only going to beat the game once, twice tops.

Should I side with Roche or Iorveth? Which is more fun?

You should play the game at least twice.

I enjoyed both sides pretty equally. I played Roche side first though.

Zzoram

DualShadow said:
You should play the game at least twice.

I enjoyed both sides pretty equally. I played Roche side first though.

I don't have the time. I'm barely squeezing in 1 hour every other day as is. By the time I'm done, it'll be the holiday rush of games.

I'm sure they're both great but was one more clever? More interesting? Better dialog? Better boss fights?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You'll never find a consensus on that. Iorveth is clearly the better choice, but the fools who pretend that Roach is better haven't accepted that fact yet.

subversus

Zzoram said:
Ok then which path gives you more achievements?

When do you have to make the choice? I'm still in Act 1.

man, it's better to play that game yourself. Choice and its consequences is gameplay here, it's like you was trying to ask people to beat those monsters for you. Enjoy your decisions.

Zzoram

I'm just trying to avoid another Aryan type mistake, where I didn't even know I could keep him alive and my inventory is 20% smaller because of it. The inventory space would've been so good, and it seems like I didn't even get something else, it was either gain 50 inventory weight or get nothing.

Zzoram said:
I'm just trying to avoid another Aryan type mistake, where I didn't even know I could keep him alive and my inventory is 20% smaller because of it. The inventory space would've been so good, and it seems like I didn't even get something else, it was either gain 50 inventory weight or get nothing.

If you're that worried about inventory weight just get a mod to make items weightless, I did that for my second play.

However half the stuff you carry around you'll probably never need.

Zzoram

I don't like how you can't chance mutagens or weapon/armor mods, because you have no way of knowing when something better is about to come along, and how much better it will be. I'm afraid of wasting all my good mutagens/mods so I end up never using them.

It's not that I'm that worried about inventory weight, it's just that the game branched off a choice, and on one branch was a sweet reward, and the other branch had nothing. If they're going to branch the game, I want an equivalent reward on both paths, it doesn't have to be the same thing, but at least give me something!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom