• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilletor

I'm very early in the game.

But, I just got attacked by a dragon. I was like O.O

What the

I don't even

Oh, I have to control Geralt still?

The dragon's still there?

What the, I don't even

I'm dead.

OMG THIS GAME IS FUCKING AWESOME

I loved walking up the trojan horse thing with the king and seeing everybody kneel and in the background some dude is singing a bawdy war song. This game is so fucking awesome.

The first game had sold 1.5 million by the time The Witcher 2 was announced, almost 3 years later. In fact, the OT for the first game doubled in size in the past year alone with anticipation of W2.

In less than 3 months CD Projekt has already surpassed the sales of the first game in a much tougher worldwide economic situation. Factor in the costs as other have said about the low development costs and realized that this game has already made CD Projekt a good profit.

And don't forget that a significant amount of sales were done through GOG where all the money went to the developers. That fact alone wasn't possible when the first game was released. For example, if the game had released on retail alone it would have taken a lot of the profit to the publisher, and other third parties as we have dissected in the past.

When the Xbox 360 version releases it is going to be the best non-open-world RPG on the platform. And it will be all profit for CD Projekt.

Red

Lasthope106 said:
The first game had sold 1.5 million by the time The Witcher 2 was announced, almost 3 years later. In fact, the OT for the first game doubled in size in the past year alone with anticipation of W2.

In less than 3 months CD Projekt has already surpassed the sales of the first game in a much tougher worldwide economic situation. Factor in the costs as other have said about the low development costs and realized that this game has already made CD Projekt a good profit.

And don't forget that a significant amount of sales were done through GOG where all the money went to the developers. That fact alone wasn't possible when the first game was released. For example, if the game had released on retail alone it would have taken a lot of the profit to the publisher, and other third parties as we have dissected in the past.

When the Xbox 360 version releases it is going to be the best non-open-world RPG on the platform. And it will be all profit for CD Projekt.
It will be this by a damn large margin, too.

those sales are fine, and about expected (i didn't expect they'd hit a million this early) The witcher in perspective sold 600k in 3 months. an expansion will boost this bitch over 2 mil by the time a sequel comes out. (on PC of course, xbox could go either way)

Solo

Vyer said:
aaahhhh. Interesting. gracias Solo

Don't worry, you will see some awesome and crazy shit on the Roche path. He has a scene with Dethmold which is alone better than the entire Iorveth path.

Complistic

fizzelopeguss said:
those sales are fine, and about expected (i didn't expect they'd hit a million this early) The witcher in perspective sold 600k in 3 months. an expansion will boost this bitch over 2 mil by the time a sequel comes out. (on PC of course, xbox could go either way)

It sounded like in the interview they would just rather go straight to TW3. And if they use the same engine, which they should, then we won't need to wait 4 years for it either.

Solo

Honestly, I'd prefer it if they just went straight to The Witcher 3. Sure, expansions would be fun, but if they get right to the third game, they can get it out while this engine is still at or near the top of the mountain.

Chinner

Banned
Playing through Witcher 2 again (not something I normally do). This time I have the 1.35 patch installed because the autopatcher lied to me last time.

Anyway,
did the troll quest and it was pretty sweet, won his woman's back and avenged her death. i don't dare imagine what he does with her head
. I also discovered that I didn't even explore the bottom half of floatsam, discovering a swamp and a bandit camp. I guess the
fisstech-lite drug
leads you here, maybe? Even though it doesn't matter now, the boss is more obvious with the map marker and because they put you nearer to the
broken bridge

also had sex with triss again and it was totally sweet.

Solo said:
Did you plough Loredo's mom yet?

whatisthis.png

Translator makes it seem like he is talking about box sales with the 900k figure.

Sale of game has totaled (has taken away; has amounted to) 949 355 arts " 2 " Wied&#378;min, executive member has informed project of ROADSTEAD CD ( ) marcin CDR Iwi&#324;ski. It about 24% more than sale first has totaled (has taken away; has amounted to) games in analogous period part < frequent >. Company has served results of sales from premiere about electronic sale by network 5 weeks II quarter 14 weeks " box " too ( to the end ) implemented ( ) too. We evaluate ", that progress has carried artistic ' 2 ' equal Wied&#378;min, as well as commercial " it has said - journalist Iwi&#324;ski. It has informed, that project will issue game in september in version CD " 2.0 ". Sale of digital (numeric) version presented ok. Integrity 20%. We expect ", that sale second (other) will be better about 30% part < frequent > than first.

Chinner

Banned
wasn't this posted in better engrish? by the end of june 940k copies were sold and 200k of those were DD. i'm fairly certain witcher 2 is over the million mark now, with the steam summer and gog sales.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Chinner said:
wasn't this posted in better engrish? by the end of june 940k copies were sold and 200k of those were DD. i'm fairly certain witcher 2 is over the million mark now, with the steam summer and gog sales.

the end of june? wat

The exact same thing has happened in Witcher 2 as it happened in Witcher 1. I just felt compelled to stop playing after a few hours.

In Witcher 2 I got to first village(after the hanging scene) and just stopped. It's not that's bad. Not at all. But somehow it's like the game is saying fuck you by throwing all these mundane tasks after you.

Does it pick up? The combat seems flimsy, but the story could be decent. But so far I don't see any greatness. Bioware might gone to shit, but how can this company be the savior?

People praise it for being mature and dark, but are the characters really compelling at all? And what does mature/blood/sex matter if it's context is subpar?

I barely started the game, so I am not judging the entire game, but just the beginning hours. It makes me twitch because a good game should pull you in from the getgo. Not make the player force himself to play when he looses interest.

Solo

Vigilant Walrus said:
It seems to throw side quests at you ala WoW. Generic subplots etc. shit got old son.

The side quests are finite and outside of the couple of monster hunting ones, generic is the absolute last term I'd use to describe them. It has several sidequests which are leagues better than the main quest in most games.

subversus said:
I wonder what mundane tasks he perfomed in the prologue.

None. Prologue was awesome, as it felt like a war. then it's over, and your just talking to random villagers who want you to do shit for you.

and it just looked like, that it would be lots backtracking with loading screens all over in smaller areas! That's why I asked.

Chinner

Banned
i'm sorry you feel like that walrus. i don't agree with anything you say but i think it might be likely that the witcher games are just not for you.

currently on my second playthrough and i'm loving it even more.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Vigilant Walrus said:
None. Prologue was awesome, as it felt like a war. then it's over, and your just talking to random villagers who want you to do shit for you.

it seems you shouldn't play RPGs as it is not your cup of tea.

But no, there are much less fetch "WoW" quests in the game this time. If doing something for NPCs bothers you then RPGs are not the genre you would like.

Chinner

Banned
the best thing about witcher games is that they get the dynamics of how men and women talk.

triss: blah blah blah
geralt: mhm
triss: blah blah blah
geralt: mhm

it's like i'm playing REAL LIFE.

Vigilant Walrus said:
The exact same thing has happened in Witcher 2 as it happened in Witcher 1. I just felt compelled to stop playing after a few hours.

In Witcher 2 I got to first village(after the hanging scene) and just stopped. It's not that's bad. Not at all. But somehow it's like the game is saying fuck you by throwing all these mundane tasks after you.

Does it pick up? The combat seems flimsy, but the story could be decent. But so far I don't see any greatness. Bioware might gone to shit, but how can this company be the savior?

People praise it for being mature and dark, but are the characters really compelling at all? And what does mature/blood/sex matter if it's context is subpar?

I barely started the game, so I am not judging the entire game, but just the beginning hours. It makes me twitch because a good game should pull you in from the getgo. Not make the player force himself to play when he looses interest.

For me the essence of the RPG genre is the ability to make choices that matter. The Witcher series get so much praise because the choices you make have an impact in the world. Now granted, I haven't played Mass Effect and Dragon Age, but I don't think the choices you make in those games have that much impact in the world since you are more-or less guided in a good or bad paths that are defined pretty clearly. In both Witcher games you might make a decision that thought was good, only to find out 10 hours later that it screwed up the lives of characters in ways you didn't expect.

As for the "mundane" tasks isn't that every single RPG though? Some level of grind to artificially make you feel like you earned the stuff you are using in-game. ARPGS are all "click-click" and yet people still adore those types of games. Perhaps this game isn't for you and there is nothing wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom