• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relax.MX

Snuggler said:
^ I believe that patch is from a month ago. There is no news of the update on their site right now.

Yes...

Patch of 17 GB...someone already finished the download?

I have a 120 kb/s :( shitty internet...

Complistic

Kyaw said:
PC first and then port to consoles please. Just like TW2.

They seem like they only ever want to focus on one game at a time. I really hope they don't go multiplatform right away.

DaBuddaDa said:
Didn't the lead developer director dude man of Witcher 1 and 2 leave CDProjekt recently?

I don't think Gop was lead developer for TW1. Though he did work on it.

ACE 1991 said:
Woah! Done and done. Thanks for the heads up!
haha, awesome. I was browsing eBay for some stuff and looked for Witcher 2 when you made the post. I was kinda struck by the price point. Let me know how it went and whether you received the game or not.

DennisK4 said:
Two questions:

1) Do we know anything about what the Enhanced Edition will contain?

oops, post at the top

2) Are there some higher resolution textures available? Either DLC or a mod?

if you modify the .ini file and pump the textures you have no need... this game has the best textures i've ever seen in a vanilla release.. yes it even beats crysis and it's sequel in many parts... give it a shot and act 2 is stunning as well

Beat this game earlier this week. Holy hell. That was best RPG I have played in a long, long time. Fantastic.

Wonderful setting, great characters, awesome combat, and a real feeling of weight to the choices you make. I shall definitely be singing this game's praises for a long time.

ASilva said:
My steam just started downloading a 17Gb "patch" for this out of nowhere. Anyone knows what this is? Isn't the 2.0 version only supposed to come out at the end of the month?
Sounds to me like Steam just deleted your entire install and you're re-downloading it. It's happened to me before.

I've just got a 1GB patch downloading, though I've paused it. Hopefully when I start it back up, it doesn't arbitrarily think that I'm re-downloading the entire game and delete my entire install as well. That's happened to me before too.

chixdiggit

Wow, excellent game. Loved every minute of it. Is it worth playing through again to go through the other path? I would really love to but I should be finishing up some other games....

LTTP but holy crap this game seems good so far. Picked it up for ~$18 a few days ago and finally got around to playing the beginning today.

Surprised it runs decent at High on my computer. My cpu is a low end Core2Duo, bottlenecking my Radeon 6950, but it still manages to do a good 30-60 fps (depending on lighting/amount of shit going on).

I already like it way more than the original. I found the original's UI and controls cumbersome and weird.

Playing it with a 360 gamepad, btw. Works great.

Chinner

Banned
completed this game a second time with ioveths path.

actually really enjoyed it from his perspective. chapter 2 & 3 play out completely different compared to roach. it feels like the more epic, optimistic tale of the story with vergen winning, while roach's is a lot more pessimistic and isolated outcome.

also fought letho this time, and the final battle is actually p fucking sweet once you're levelled up

anyway, i now find myself wanting to play this for the third time. yay or nay?

chixdiggit

Chinner said:

actually really enjoyed it from his perspective. chapter 2 & 3 play out completely different compared to roach. it feels like the more epic, optimistic tale of the story with vergen winning, while roach's is a lot more pessimistic and isolated outcome.

also fought letho this time, and the final battle is actually p fucking sweet once you're levelled up

How long did it take you the second time through? I'm thinking I could zip through it pretty fast on a second run.

Chinner

Banned
i can't give you any times because its a non-steam game, but i guess its a bit shorter than roachs. by why would you want to rush through witcher 2???

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Chinner said:

strange it turned out worse for me with Iorveth

Regarding Axii, does leveling it up affect your powers of persuasion during dialogue or is it not tied to your skill tree?

Also, I'm just now nearing the very end of chapter 1.
I didn't have any real, solid lengths of time to sit down and play for the last week or more. I finally
beat the kingslayer
in that fight I was stuck on. Took me forever to finally get the hang of what I was doing. It would have helped if I had invested points into the throwing category, me thinks, but all is well.

Really looking forward to what happens next.

Red

Typographenia said:
Regarding Axii, does leveling it up affect your powers of persuasion during dialogue or is it not tied to your skill tree?

Also, I'm just now nearing the very end of chapter 1.
I didn't have any real, solid lengths of time to sit down and play for the last week or more. I finally
beat the kingslayer
in that fight I was stuck on. Took me forever to finally get the hang of what I was doing. It would have helped if I had invested points into the throwing category, me thinks, but all is well.

Really looking forward to what happens next.
I never really understood the persuasion abilities. It seemed to me that whatever you used at the start of the game was your go-to option, since that's all that'd level up.

Minsc

Gold Member
Chinner said:

If you don't plan on a fourth time soon, probably should just wait for the big 2.0 patch and give the dark mode a try.

This game is good. Played a few more hours. Can't believe how good the optimization is -- it's the best looking game I've ever played, yet the framerate is completely playable (nothing below 30).

The story is hell of good too. Some really good direction in the cut-scenes and in-engine scenes.

Derrick01

Banned
Minsc said:
If you don't plan on a fourth time soon, probably should just wait for the big 2.0 patch and give the dark mode a try.

When's that patch coming again? I forgot what was in it too, wasn't it just that mode and an arena/horde mode really? Nothing like adding more sidequests or another Act or anything like that right?

If not then I think I'll just do another Hard playthrough now. I've done both paths but I want to do some major choices differently on Vernon's path.

Exuro

Derrick01 said:
When's that patch coming again? I forgot what was in it too, wasn't it just that mode and an arena/horde mode really? Nothing like adding more sidequests or another Act or anything like that right?

If not then I think I'll just do another Hard playthrough now. I've done both paths but I want to do some major choices differently on Vernon's path.
29th i think. And it has a new dark mode difficulty that is suppose to be like insane without the save delete. Also adds new dark weapons/armor to the game. Don't think they said anything about there being new quests.

Derrick01

Banned
Exuro said:
29th i think. And it has a new dark mode difficulty that is suppose to be like insane without the save delete. Also adds new dark weapons/armor to the game. Don't think they said anything about there being new quests.

Ah that's too bad. If there's one thing this game needed besides a lengthier final act it was more sidequests, at least more monster hunting quests. I felt like I was doing very little Witchering in this game compared to 1.

But I guess adding more stuff like that would require rebalancing the game. As it is now you're already a mega badass halfway through Act 2. Arena could be cool though, I do enjoy the combat system even if 1 out of every 10 of my attack button hits don't register.

Kyaw

Have they told us how we are getting the dark items?
Is it going to be random drops or vendor items?

I'm planning on doing a 3rd playthrough on dark difficulty. Choosing Iorveth side though... i NEED to
have a dragon/sexy ally
. Still keeping Letho as my bro though.

Bloody hell..after completing Deus Ex I have finally gotten to grips with this, and it is bloody impressive...this is the best looking game this gen, the world design is trully fantastic...The combat and story telling has really taken an impressive leap compared to the first game... Welcome to the big league CD Project!

Salaadin

Got an email this morning stating that CDPR will be having their fall conference on 9/22.

From the website:

CD Projekt’s 2011 Fall Conference
September, 12, 2011
CD Projekt has set the date for its fall conference. The event takes place on the 22nd of September in Warsaw, Poland. We’ve prepared plethora of exciting news for all of The Witcher fans out there, including the LIVE stream of the international part of the presentation starting at 4:15 GMT on our official Facebook page. Everyone watching the stream will be able to take a closer look at some of the most important additions and enhancements to be included in this content update such as:

• Tutorial – New, more comprehensive tutorial that will allow players to slowly get familiar with the world of the game
• Dark Mode – a brand new difficulty level designed for everyone who’s looking for a fresh challenge. This mode also comes with a special set of dark-themed items to go along with it.
• Arena Mode – the arcade style mode where players fight countless waves of enemies in order to achieve the highest score, and later boast about it on specifically designed leaderboards. Be sure to watch this segment to see the new opponent that’s being introduced to the game with version 2.0!

Fans from all over the world will also be able to watch live gameplay from The Witcher 2 on Xbox 360 and see how the development of the most complex and unique RPG to ever arrive on consoles is coming along. The creators of The Witcher 2 will wrap up the CDP Fall 2011 conference by talking in detail about the development philosophy behind the title. Last but not least, there is also an official unveil of the box art

linsivvi

My apology since I am sure it's already been asked many times, but this thread is huge....

I read that if I buy this game on services other than Steam, I won't be able to activate it on Steam. Is that correct?

Enkidu

linsivvi said:
My apology since I am sure it's already been asked many times, but this thread is huge....

I read that if I buy this game on services other than Steam, I won't be able to activate it on Steam. Is that correct?
The game is not Steamworks unless you buy it from Steam, so no you won't be able to activate it.

Skilletor

I'm early in the game, just got to Flotsam. I think I need a new witcher sword. I know where the forge is, but I'm missing the pieces of silver.

Do I need this sword now? Is there somewhere I can get some silver?

gdt5016 said:
Come onnnnn 2.0. Wanna start my Iorveth playthrough.

You can play as Iorveth? O.O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom