• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skilletor said:
I'm early in the game, just got to Flotsam. I think I need a new witcher sword. I know where the forge is, but I'm missing the pieces of silver.

Do I need this sword now? Is there somewhere I can get some silver?

You can either find it as you play or the blacksmith might have some you can buy.

Swig_

So I want to buy this game, but I'm not sure where. Apparently it is on sale at a few different online stores.. I prefer to use steam, but apparently GOG will be having a sale with the new version 2 on Sept 29.. I can't find my source, but someone said that would be the best place to buy it due to it coming with some extras (Can't remember what they said this would be). It's also on sale for $24 at Amazon.com..

Is there a reason not to buy it at Amazon?

Does anyone know what these features will be? Are they not available on Steam or Amazon?

Hoping someone can help me out here..

mileS

So I missed the CD Projekt Fall Conference stream and it doesn't seem to be archived on the ustream site. Basically I'm just wondering if they released any news on the 2.0 patch. I think it comes out on the 29th? Eh maybe its just best to wait for the official patch notes.

sflufan

Banned
mileS said:
So I missed the CD Projekt Fall Conference stream and it doesn't seem to be archived on the ustream site. Basically I'm just wondering if they released any news on the 2.0 patch. I think it comes out on the 29th? Eh maybe its just best to wait for the official patch notes.

Some info here, most notably that the new tutorial for the 2.0 patch will be story-driven and take be apart from the main game and take place in a new area:

http://www.thereticule.com/?p=3665

And I think I know what it will be!

In the most recent trailer for the 360 version of the game, there's a couple of scenes that involve Letho and his assassination of Demavend, something that we didn't see in the original game. I'm pretty sure that during the tutorial phase, you're going to be controlling Letho.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Man i really hope CPR will keep moving in this direction, and not be affected too soon by the almost inevitable "streamlining for the masses" that most the successful studios seem to fall into once they realize that the games that sold respectably could potentially sell even more if everybody could instantly understand & play them. I have polish heritage though and it seems like even the casual gamers there, like my cousins, prefer things like diablo, fallout and baldurs gate to more "mainstream" games. As long as they keep catering to that crowd, the rest of us should be happy too.

Chinner

Banned
Hero_of_the_Day_1985 said:
You know there will be some game breaking bugs in the 2.0 patch, so you'll all wind up just having to wait for the patch that fixes the patch.
we can play mass effect 2* while we wait!!!

*voted 2011 game of the year and RPG of the year.

Chinner said:
we can play mass effect 2 while we wait!!!

I'm so fucked for time once my parts get here. Have gears 3 sitting at home (out of town until wed.), 30 hours into xenoblade, throw in witcher 2 and my desire to replay Mass Effect 1 & 2 before three arrives, and fuck. Let's not even think about Skyward Sword, Skyrim, and Batman.

EDIT: Fucking Battlefield 3 also. This fucking year. Just awesome.

Awesome, STEAM requiring me to re-download the entire game 3-4 times made me ignore the game till it was mixed. I then forgot about the game completely till now.

Derrick01

Banned
BeauRoger said:
Man i really hope CPR will keep moving in this direction, and not be affected too soon by the almost inevitable "streamlining for the masses" that most the successful studios seem to fall into once they realize that the games that sold respectably could potentially sell even more if everybody could instantly understand & play them. I have polish heritage though and it seems like even the casual gamers there, like my cousins, prefer things like diablo, fallout and baldurs gate to more "mainstream" games. As long as they keep catering to that crowd, the rest of us should be happy too.

Well so far all of their success is due to the PC, whether it's from GoG or the witcher games. They would be stupid to piss on that unless their console port sells a million too which I personally don't even see it doing half that.

Hero_of_the_Day_1985 said:
You know there will be some game breaking bugs in the 2.0 patch, so you'll all wind up just having to wait for the patch that fixes the patch.
Maybe, but the patch was announced so close to me buying it that it seemed silly not to wait. I had the first game to play to pass some of the time, but now I'm left waiting impatiently!

NinjaKixx

Banned
I dont normally like RPG's but I decided to take a chance on this because it's so cheap now. Absolutely loving the game, combat is fun/tough, the scenery...my god the scenery is gawjus (Like seriously, this game is worth the $25 I payed just to walk around and look at the beautiful graphics...I wish I could go into 1st person view and take SS's of the landscapes for my desktop wallpaper). I find geralt to be a fascinating main charactor. I love the sence of accomplisment I get after narrowly surviving 5 on 1 encounters. I love how deep the game seems to be. I love the freedom of choice. Also, I love everything I have heard about the dev's. I told my wife I actually feel kind of bad that I never payed full price for the game. These developers get it, and really know how to support their game and the fanbase

NinjaKixx said:
I love the sense of accomplisment I get after narrowly surviving 5 on 1 encounters.

Hehehe 5 vs 1.. damn right the group fights in this game are scary but fun as hell, chapter 1 spoilers
holy shit at the fight with the shitload of nekkers in the cavern near flotsam, the one of the quest of the elf woman. That was my first fight in chapter 1, in hard, and I had my ass kicked until I used potions, bombs, dodge like a maniac and timing with precision my attacks, :sogood:

Tokubetsu

Nekkars, totally serious right now, are the hardest enemies in the game. They are aggressive as fuck and you always end up fighting six of them at a time. The nekkar wave of Arena mode is gonna make me punch a hole in my monitor, I know it.

Forkball

Yeah, Nekkers don't seem like much, but they can mess you up in a group. Same with any creature though, but Nekkers seem to ONLY come in groups. It's awesome at the end of the game however when you are just one-shotting them.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tokubetsu said:
Nekkars, totally serious right now, are the hardest enemies in the game. They are aggressive as fuck and you always end up fighting six of them at a time. The nekkar wave of Arena mode is gonna make me punch a hole in my monitor, I know it.

That's what Grapeshots are for! Bomb those fuckers.

Nekkers are a pain in the ass without those incineration bombs. Fuck those creepy little bastards.

Starting a new playthrough as soon as 2.0 drops.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I don't think this has been posted yet, if it has, apologies.

Witcher 2 2.0 Changelog

CDPR said:
Version 2.0 (Arena, Tutorial, and Dark Difficulty Modes)

Arena - is a new gameplay mode that is separate from the main adventure and narrative of The Witcher 2. In this mode, Geralt
of Rivia duels a variety of foes to the death in a gladiatorial arena located in an unnamed town somewhere in the Northern
Kingdoms. In addition to winning gold and valuable items, players also receive points for their wins. They can then post their
point totals on-line to compare their achievements against those of other blood sport enthusiasts around the world. Geralt can
encounter both foes and allies in the arena. He can recruit the latter for a fee to assist him during his most challenging clashes.
To post your point totals to the forum, you must be registered and have a forum account! Register and establish your
account directly through the game launcher or go to www.thewitcher.com. You can then log in to your account via the
launcher.
IMPORTANT: Players using mods to alter their character attributes and statistics will not be able to post their point totals from
the arena to the server. This is a necessary precaution to prevent any attempts at distorting competition or misrepresenting
player achievements.

Tutorial - The game tutorial takes the form of a brief adventure during which players learn how to use a range of game
mechanics and functionalities. Assuming the role of game protagonist Geralt of Rivia, players save a wounded knight named
Bolton of Ironford while learning game controls as well as the basics of combat and alchemy. This transpires step by step as the
tutorial guides players through a series of minor missions. Upon completion, based on demonstrated abilities, the tutorial
recommends the difficulty level which the player should choose in embarking on the main adventure of The Witcher 2.

Dark Difficulty - The „Dark‟ difficulty setting is the most demanding difficulty level in gameplay terms. Under this setting, each
and every foe represents a significant challenge. In addition to raising the difficulty bar, the module includes several new sets of
equipment/items that are linked through a dark legend detailed in the Journal. Once all their components have been collected
and donned, the Blasphemer‟s, Oathbreaker‟s and Kinslayer‟s outfits provide great advantages in combat. The swords included
in the outfits strip opponents of Vitality while supplementing the witcher‟s. However, given that they are cursed, the swords
provide no benefit and harm Geralt by sapping him of Vitality as long as the outfits to which they belong remain incomplete.

Version 2.0 Corrections/Amendments
Corrections and improvements to combat:
1. Numerous improvements have been made in the targeting system.
2. Parrying is now unlimited (even when Vigor is completely depleted), though parries no longer cancel all damage
(maximum 50% reduction once the relevant ability has been acquired).
3. Responsiveness of game controls has been improved. This includes but is not limited to casting Signs, parrying,
and attacking immediately after evading an opponent‟s assault.
4. Geralt‟s attacks are no longer interrupted by attacking opponents. Attacks are now contiguous and foes cannot
interrupt Geralt‟s attacks by landing a blow.
5. Assorted fixes now prevent opponents from incessantly attacking Geralt after he has been knocked down. Geralt
can no longer be knocked down repeatedly in quick succession. Also, he rises quickly while evading subsequent
attacks.
6. Geralt no longer attacks opponents located behind other opponents positioned nearer to him.
7. The target locking system has been improved. Preference is now given to previously highlighted targets.
8. Target selection has been improved. Priority is now given to foes affected by a critical effect facilitating the
completion of a finishing move.
9. The additional two steps Geralt took after mounting an attack with the W, S, A or D key depressed have been
eliminated.
10. Attacks can now be continued even when a key controlling Geralt‟s movement (e.g. W, S, A, D) is depressed.
11. Attacks can now be continued if the attack key is depressed immediately after the final strike of an attack animation
sequence.
12. Geralt can now pivot 180 degrees immediately after completing an attack.
13. Assorted problems with key responsiveness have been resolved. Keys no longer need to be depressed twice or
more to trigger a given action.
14. A distance attack problem has been resolved. Geralt now mounts distance attacks (lunge with sword in hand in the
Fast style) when opponents were located at a suitable distance from him.

Other corrections and amendments:
15. Casting several bombs no longer blocks further inputs.
16. An option has been added to the configuration tool enabling aspect ratio to be set independently of resolution.
17. The amount of disk space required for game patching has been reduced.
18. The loading of selected Witcher 1 game saves no longer causes the game to crash.
19. A greater number of monsters now appear in the cave leading to Loc Muinne.
20. Improvements have been made in the manner in which monsters are spawned in the mist in Chapter 2.
21. The visual effect accompanying Adrenaline use no longer disappears prematurely.
22. Archers now draw their swords more quickly when Geralt approaches.
23. Mages no longer automatically cast shield spells when Geralt casts daggers at them.
24. The game is now paused when Geralt executes a finishing move in combat.
25. The troll in Chapter 2 has been corrected. Previously, in some circumstances he could not be attacked.
26. Physics on cast daggers have been improved.
27. The site for aiming daggers is now more visible.
28. Geralt‟s animation when he dies while casting the Axii Sign has been corrected.
29. An exploit in the fight against Letho has been eliminated. Previously, this foe could be killed by casting bombs in
quick succession.
30. An exploit related to the „Insane‟ difficulty setting has been eliminated. Previously, game saves could be loaded with
difficulty set to this level, which was contrary to design intentions.
31. Camera positioning/operation has been corrected during the boss fight against the kayran.
32. Camera control via gamepads has been improved.
33. Assorted adjustments have been made in mutagen statistics.
34. The „Junk‟ filter in the Inventory has been adjusted to provide for correct item filtering.
35. In the Inventory, the dialogue window warning of prohibited actions has been corrected.
36. Assorted corrections have been introduced to the mini-map in Chapter 1.
37. Audio balance throughout the game has been adjusted.
38. Erratic character teleportation in mini–games has been eliminated.
39. Assorted adjustments have been made in animations applying to nekkers.
40. A minor bug in the “Scent of Incense” quest has been resolved.
41. Numerous minor fixes have been introduced in character lip-sync throughout the game.

djm

Glad to hear 2.0 will be free for people who already own the game. I've been meaning to get back into the Witcher and finish off my first playthrough, and this is the perfect opportunity.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, that's quite the list of improvements. I enjoyed the combat for the most part, but I can't argue with any of the changes. I've seen plenty of legit complaints and this should take care of most of them.

You gotta love a developer in this day and age who'll go put so much effort towards improving a game after release. Most would leave it as it is after a week or two or patches, or re-release the overhauled game at full price, but not our bros at CDPR. Bless their hearts.

Solo

Looking forward to playing my third playthrough of The Witcher 2 with 2.0 in 2012. Back to my boy Roche for that one.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Solo said:
I'm aroused just thinking about it

unf

I was just thinking how cool it would be if you could display
his severed nutsack
on your side as a trophy like you can with monster parts. I guess it's something for CDPR to consider in the next patch.

Tokubetsu

Parrying unlimited? They made the game easier, guess Dennisk4 wans't hardcore enough to hang with us bros. Roche is disappointed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
All of this sounds so awesome. I played through the game twice back-to-back when it first came out, but I'm probably going to drop everything else and play it again on Dark difficulty once this patch comes out. The combat changes sound great. Honestly, the random quirkiness/jankiness of the combat was the only thing holding the game back, in my opinion.

I dunno. Am I the only person who thinks they should have just fixed the targeting and left the combat the same other than that? Yeah it was hard, but it was supposed to be hard.

Rufus

jim-jam bongs said:
I dunno. Am I the only person who thinks they should have just fixed the targeting and left the combat the same other than that? Yeah it was hard, but it was supposed to be hard.
No, but I am thankful they fixed all input glitches (if they can be called that) and improved responsiveness. It's one thing to have the animations with more realistic 'wind-up', it's another to get no reaction at all.

Solo said:
Can't wait to have Roche teach Demevend a lesson again. So good.
You either mean Dethmold (the asshole sorcerer) or Henselt (the asshole king). Demavend was the assasins' first target. It's his head that is shown to Iorveth to convince him to help the assasins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom