• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

rakhir said:
They were arrogant, cruel and merciless - i hated them. Can't see how they would show up in the game, though.

How would you guys like small DLCs based on the short stories or happening at that time? That would be kinda cool, with the world before the war and slightly younger Geralt.
I don't know how they could do good dlc that continues the story, so that idea would be best.

Small DLCs based on the short stories would actually be really cool. "The Last Wish" would be really cool to see although Im not sure how well thatd translate into game form. I think Im just eager to see Yenefer in game already.

Solo

Salaadin said:
I hope so. I want to see more of that.

I hope CDPR lets us know the direction they will be taking soon. We probably wont hear anything until after the 360 version hits but Im so curious if they will be doing a full blown sequel right away or start with DLC expansions...maybe something similar to DA:Awakening.

Gotta be The Witcher 3. Strike while the Red Engine is still hot.

Effect

Should one finish The Witcher 1 before playing this?

Never finished the first game but mainly because of the combat system. I just got tired of it by the time I started doing quest in Vizma. I've gone back a few times to continue to play as I kept it on my PC but it feels like I'm forcing myself. I didn't pay much for the game so I don't mind never finishing it. Just somewhat worried about not being able to fully follow the story of Witcher 2. Does the game take into account a player might never have played the original?

Salaadin

Solo said:
Gotta be The Witcher 3. Strike while the Red Engine is still hot.

Whatever they do, Im there.

Ill be honest though, as great as a full sequel would be, Im too impatient to wait another 4 years. They did spend that time building a great engine though so it probably wont take THAT long this time. Plus, the engine they have now will look good for quite some time. I look forward to the day when I can run TW2 on Ultra+Uber.

Effect said:
Should one finished The Witcher 1 before playing this?

Never finished the first game but mainly because of the combat system. I just got tired of it by the time I got to Vizma. I've gone back a few times to continue to play as I kept it on my PC but it feels like I'm forcing myself. I didn't pay much for the game so I don't mind never finishing it. Just somewhat worried about not being able to fully follow the story of Witcher 2, especially if the combat is improved.

Its not entirely necessary. Maybe find a quick recap of the story online and go from there. No use in forcing yourself. Youve tried several times and cant get into it...youll just burn yourself out if you force it.

TW2 is vastly improved over the first. They play completely different from eachother.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Effect said:
Should one finished The Witcher 1 before playing this?

no, except you will know Triss better.

but the game picks up in Vyzima, just in case you didn't know

Effect

Salaadin said:
Whatever they do, Im there.

Ill be honest though, as great as a full sequel would be, Im too impatient to wait another 4 years. They did spend that time building a great engine though so it probably wont take THAT long this time. Plus, the engine they have now will look good for quite some time. I look forward to the day when I can run TW2 on Ultra+Uber.

Its not entirely necessary. Maybe find a quick recap of the story online and go from there. No use in forcing yourself. Youve tried several times and cant get into it...youll just burn yourself out if you force it.

TW2 is vastly improved over the first. They play completely different from eachother.

Excellent. Guess there is no use in forcing myself. I loved the feel of the world though so looking forward to jumping back in. Going to be a while though as I have to much on the plate at the moment.

FGMPR

Banned
Minsc said:
In a perfect world, there's a DX11 version of the Red Engine.

The Red Engine's only resulting game so far is pretty fucking sexy as it is, with decent performance on lower end systems to boot. I'm not even sure what I could suggest how CDPR improve on their games, because they seem to do it themselves ala Witcher:EE and Witcher 2.0.

Wallach

Effect said:
Excellent. Guess there is no use in forcing myself. I loved the feel of the world though so looking forward to jumping back in. Going to be a while though as I have to much on the plate at the moment.

To be honest I think most people are better off not playing the first before the second at all. They are very different in combat systems, and some decisions made in the first kind of get tossed out by the canon in the second.

SmokyDave

I didn't play The Witcher before starting The Witcher 2. I don't feel like I've missed out because there's plenty of flashbacks to important stuff.

Solo said:
Triss will accept anyone. I mean, she accepted Letho in her butt, after all.
Any other game and I'd think you were joking.

Salaadin

Wallach said:
To be honest I think most people are better off not playing the first before the second at all. They are very different in combat systems, and some decisions made in the first kind of get tossed out by the canon in the second.

If youre patient enough to deal with its wonkiness and repetitiveness, its still worth the shot. The story and locations are fantastic.

rogue74

Salaadin said:
Thats debateable. I think TW2 would win out if it didnt end so abruptly.

It isn't just that. The content of the story in TW1 was better IMO. The big reveal at the end with
Alvin being the Gramdmaster and how that revelation made you reflect on the effect you had on him in prior chapters
was masterful. It was a story that stayed with you after the credits rolled. The motivations of the kingslayer in TW2 and how that played out just left me lukewarm.

There were also some quests in TW1 that were really unique. I am specifically speaking about Shani's party in chapter 2, the whole investigation plot in chapter 2 and Leuvaarden's gala at the beginning of chapter 3. I didn't feel there was anything like that in the sequel, although I should point out I have only completed the Roche path.

TW2 is still a great game, don't get me wrong.

Salaadin

rogue74 said:
It isn't just that. The content of the story in TW1 was better IMO. The big reveal at the end with
Alvin being the Gramdmaster and how that revelation made you reflect on the effect you had on him in prior chapters
was masterful. It was a story that stayed with you after the credits rolled. The motivations of the kingslayer in TW2 and how that played out just left me lukewarm.

There were also some quests in TW1 that were really unique. I am specifically speaking about Shani's party in chapter 2, the whole investigation plot in chapter 2 and Leuvaarden's gala at the beginning of chapter 3. I didn't feel there was anything like that in the sequel, although I should point out I have only completed the Roche path.

TW2 is still a great game, don't get me wrong.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I sway towards TW1 specificially for the reasons you mention. I loved the silly quests in TW1 with
drunk Geralt at the party stealing Grannys diary or the one where you go to Declans party with Triss in her asscrack dress and get to mosey around with the guests and try to carry a conversation with the knight who doesnt talk.

It felt like there were a billion side quests in the first game too. TW2 has a lot as well but they arent as interesting as the first game. Personally, I wish we got more monster contracts. They were only annoying in the first game because of the weird combat.

rogue74

Salaadin said:
It felt like there were a billion side quests in the first game too. TW2 has a lot as well but they arent as interesting as the first game. Personally, I wish we got more monster contracts. They were only annoying in the first game because of the weird combat.

I totally agree. I always felt that the first game made you feel more like a monster hunter than the sequel.

I think a case can be made for the settings of TW1 as well. The world has a certain grittiness and character. The Outskirts of Vizima, despite the criticism that is thrown at that section, had a great ambiance. I also liked Vizima itself and how the different quarters had their own feel. As I mentioned I took Roche's path in TW2 and while Flotsam was great, I thought the military camp in chapter 2 felt way too much like the military camp in the prologue. So all in all it felt like the locations were far less varied. But I can't make a final determination on that until I do a Iorveth playthrough.

Acidote said:
Not bluffing. I remember reading it in english (as Jaskier was named Dandelion, but maybe I didn't read the whole saga in English and I'm mistaken, it's been a while).

And yes, my main concern comes from the saga turning from
the saga of Geralt to the saga of Ciri. In fact, to the saga of somebody else reading and dreaming of the saga of Ciri time/traveling while she sees a fisherman from her window, right after thinking of some paintings who may or may not be a truesome depiction of certain characters.

A bit jumpy, aren't we?

There're only 2 books translated to English, The Last Wish and Blood of Elves, so at the end almost no books of the Geralt of Rivia saga are translated to English. You probably read them in other language, and I find kind of weird to forget the language of almost an entire saga of books I've read, but anyway..

About the topic, I think TW2 narrative and quests are more elaborated than TW1, TW2 until the rushed final chapter has a very cohesive storyline and sidequests complementing the main quest. TW1 is more simple (with exceptions like the investigation and few more), but then I think its more of a matter of tastes. Both are great games anyway.

Salaadin

rogue74 said:
I totally agree. I always felt that the first game made you feel more like a monster hunter than the sequel.

I think a case can be made for the settings of TW1 as well. The world has a certain grittiness and character. The Outskirts of Vizima, despite the criticism that is thrown at that section, had a great ambiance. I also liked Vizima itself and how the different quarters had their own feel. As I mentioned I took Roche's path in TW2 and while Flotsam was great, I thought the military camp in chapter 2 felt way too much like the military camp in the prologue. So all in all it felt like the locations were far less varied. But I can't make a final determination on that until I do a Iorveth playthrough.

I never got the Outskirts hate. I loved that area. My biggest complaint about the locations comes from Act 2/3 where you are literally confined to Vizima/Sewers/Swamps for pretty much the entire stretch. They open up some of Vizima at one point but it doesnt feel much different...its just more cheery than the run down slums part. Coupled with the shitty ass loads for each area, it just bogs down so much.

But then they send you to the excellent Act 4. What a nice breath of fresh air that was...and gorgeous to look at too. The Lake, village, and fields were so well done.

Iorveths area is much nicer than Roches.

Vasilisk said:
There're only 2 books translated to English, The Last Wish and Blood of Elves, so at the end almost no books of the Geralt of Rivia saga are translated to English. You probably read them in other language, and I find kind of weird to forget the language of almost an entire saga of books I've read, but anyway...

There are fan translations of "Limits of the Possible" and "A Shard of Ice" from Sword of Destiny online if you look around. Theyre the only way I found :(

Kyaw

I think i preferred the side quests in Witcher 2. They felt more unique and special.

The troll one, the asylum one, the succubus one and so on.
I'm looking forward to Witcher 3 as much as the next guy here...

Salaadin

The Witcher 2 did have a lot of memorable quests.

Quality is always better than quantity but sometimes I wish TW2 did have more though...even if they were just cheap cash in quests requiring you to kill monsters.

Solo

But I think NOT being loaded up with fluff fetch quests is part of what makes The Witcher 2 a cut above the rest of the RPG field. I hate games that throw the same quest at you 800 times under the guise of adding "value"/length.

Gvaz

Banned
Chinner said:
no bronies literally wnat to have sex with shycloud the pony or whatever, we're all being pretty ironic and beta. i guess you just dont 'get it'.
This, but without all the sarcasm.

Anyways, how is 2.0? is dark mode actually hard?

Salaadin

Solo said:
But I think NOT being loaded up with fluff fetch quests is part of what makes The Witcher 2 a cut above the rest of the RPG field. I hate games that throw the same quest at you 800 times under the guise of adding "value"/length.

Sometimes I like fluff but then again, having a shitload of monster contracts might feel weird...like how can one small town be plagued with so many monsters at once. I guess it makes more sense to have one or two monster types for each area.

Salaadin

Gvaz said:
This, but without all the sarcasm.

Anyways, how is 2.0? is dark mode actually hard?

It can be. You really have to watch your blocks, roll a lot, and Ive been using Axii more now than I ever have.

SmokyDave

All I know about monster contracts is that I let Cedric die before I bought some grapeshot bombs from him :(

Now those Nekkers will torment people forevermore. Sad stuff.

subversus

My favourite quest is the one with the haunted house and a soldier who peed himself. I fucked this quest up. The choice wasn't obvious and I chose the wrong way.

Also I liked the verbal battle in the crypt. It had a lot more questions than I expected.

SmokyDave

Solo said:
Serves them right for harboring someone so vile as Mr. PEOPLE, THE MUTANT'S PERSUING ME!
That guy's a dick. The fact that he's standing right next to a merchant or something just makes it worse, I was harassing him for ages.

Solo

I killed his wife and then ploughed her.

Or at least I would have if the game let me :( Geralt ploughs everything with a pulse, so why not also anything without? I'm sure the must be a necrophiliac sect of the fanbase out there.

Salaadin

SmokyDave said:
Now those Nekkers will torment people forevermore. Sad stuff.

Racist

subversus said:
My favourite quest is the one with the haunted house and a soldier who peed himself. I fucked this quest up. The choice wasn't obvious and I chose the wrong way.

Also I liked the verbal battle in the crypt. It had a lot more questions than I expected.

That was another good one. I initially did it wrong too.

SmokyDave

Salaadin said:
That's something that stands out in this game. It should be called 'The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings: RACISM IS WELL BAD SO DON'T DO IT'.

Not that there's anything wrong with that message but it's a little heavy-handed. Geralt backhanding that chap toward the end of Chapter 1 seemed a little unnecessary, for all we know the guy might've had some bad experience with a She-Elf in the past.

Acidote

Vasilisk said:
and I find kind of weird to forget the language of almost an entire saga of books I've read, but anyway..

It's not that weird, when I'm in the mood of reading, I read both in English and Spanish, jumping from a book in a language to another. And there are sagas I've read half of it in one language and the other half in another like I did with Song of Ice & Fire, also with the Ender saga if I remember well, etc etc. This may be the case for the witcher saga too, but sincerelery I can't remember. I'll ask my brother when I can since I read them with his ebook reader.

Marco1

I hope the 360 version has proper analogue walking on the left stick.
The PC version is like using xpadder, it's either walk or run.

Wallach

Marco1 said:
I hope the 360 version has proper analogue walking on the left stick.
The PC version is like using xpadder, it's either walk or run.

Yeah, it's kind of annoying to me as well. Particularly the rotation.

Salaadin

SmokyDave said:
That's something that stands out in this game. It should be called 'The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings: RACISM IS WELL BAD SO DON'T DO IT'..

Yeah race is huge in this game. I feel bad for the dwarves which is weird since I usually hate that race in every game (Screw you dragon age!).

subversus

SmokyDave said:
That's something that stands out in this game. It should be called 'The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings: RACISM IS WELL BAD SO DON'T DO IT'.

Not that there's anything wrong with that message but it's a little heavy-handed. Geralt backhanding that chap toward the end of Chapter 1 seemed a little unnecessary, for all we know the guy might've had some bad experience with a She-Elf in the past.

well, you could choose not to backhand him if you don't feel like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom