• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Dries said:
Chapter 4.

You guys are making this decision hard. But I simply am not enjoying myself. I don't want to end up hating the game..

Dont force it and end up hating the game. Youre pretty close to the end (8-10 hours left tops) but if you arent enjoying it now, you wont enjoy anything else thats coming.

jim-jam bongs said:
dr-strangelove-chewing.gif
Just in case it wasn't clear, I was referring to Witcher 1's combat, not Witcher 2's amazing combat.
I know you know what I meant, how can you like Witcher 1's combat!?

Dries

Yeah, made the desiscion to read the story on wikia and whatnot. So therefore, two questions!

- Can I just install the 2.0 patch over vanilla? Never installed the game or any kind of patch.

- When I start a new game will I get some kind of choice generator? If not, what choices are made for me when I start a new game?

Dries said:
- When I start a new game will I get some kind of choice generator? If not, what choices are made for me when I start a new game?
No, but you're not really missing much. In most cases it's just some slightly different dialog. Nothing that impacts the game. The loot you carry over would probably be more important then the choices, and even that is gonna be replaced by the end of Act 1.

Kyaw said:
The bit where
you get your weapons taken away and shit is supposed to happen. And BROche saves your ass! :D
Ah right. It seemed like that could've gone another way.

Can't wait to get back from uni and keep playing tonight. I THINK I can finish it by tomorrow in time for Dark Souls...

Mikeside

OK, so I've finally actually started playing this - when it first came out I found the combat too difficult and I gave up, but I thought now that the 2.0 patch is out, I might as well give it another shot.

Have to say, I'm really enjoying it - I've just finished the introduction part and have just
saved Dandelion and the dwarf from being hanged
, then started the Troll Trouble side-quest.

Still finding the combat somewhat tricky, and I haven't quite got the hang of parry/reposte, but yeah - this is a fine game indeed. Can't wait to get into the meat of it :D

Dries

Hmm I'm experiencing some micro-stuttering. Is there a decent FPS limiter out there I can use? Other solutions are also welcome of course.

Solo

Hmmm..... different games, so probably no relation, but I know Rage induced some stuttering with forced AF. Might want to play around with that.

Solo

Dries said:
Thanks.. let's see if those frame rate limiters in that thread work.

Also, how do I know if I have the latest patch? There isn't a version nr. anywhere. I did get tutorial menus popping up, but I just want to know for sure.

Are you playing on Steam? It will automatically update for you.

ACE 1991 said:
Any tips for
killing lethos? I can't tell if I'm under-geared or if he just has a whole lot of HP.

Quen, roll, and bombs/Yrden to drop his Quen.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dries said:
Thanks.. let's see if those frame rate limiters in that thread work.

Also, how do I know if I have the latest patch? There isn't a version nr. anywhere. I did get tutorial menus popping up, but I just want to know for sure.

Seeing a separate "Tutorial" and "Arena" option in the main menu (apart from new game / load game etc) is new to 2.0.

Serialxp

Banned
Dries said:
From TW1 thread:

Now I'm realizing I am literally forcing myself to complete The Witcher 1. The only reason I keep on playing is just so that I won't miss anything story related in The Witcher 2. But I'm not enjoying the game really anymore. Thinking I'll just read the story on wiki or something and watch the cut scenes on YouTube.

Tell me GAF, should I soldier on with the game or not? And what harm will it do if I don't complete TW1? I know I won't have a save file to import.. and that kinda sucks.

Same thing with me, the witcher 1 is a boring game with shitty combat, I gave up the game at the end of chapter 3.

Dries

Minsc said:
Seeing a separate "Tutorial" and "Arena" option in the main menu (apart from new game / load game etc) is new to 2.0.

Welp! I don't see those.. I was under the impression that the game updated itself (not playing on Steam btw) Uhm, can I just install 2.0 over vanilla? Edit: Never mind, found the instructions on the site.

Btw, downloaded a FPS limiter and put it to 45 FPS. Silky smooooooth now. Bye bye stutters. Thanks for the link, Solo.

The end of Act 2... holyyyy shit!

It really came together in the end.

The narrative is getting a little bit complex (or maybe convoluted is the better word) but I'm still lovinggg this game. Need a quick break but I'll be jumping straight back in soon.

Gvaz

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:

I told you!

darkpaladinmfc said:
Just in case it wasn't clear, I was referring to Witcher 1's combat, not Witcher 2's amazing combat.
TW1 combat owns, fuck the haters.

As someone who played through the original Witcher, you can absolutely skip the first one and just go straight into the sequel. There's very little reference to the first one. I would still recommend playing the first one though because the overall story just felt way more satisfying with an ending that actually is good (rarity this gen apparently). Witcher is one of those games that requires a large initial investment but pays off handsomely in the end.

Kyaw

Foliorum Viridum said:

The narrative is getting a little bit complex (or maybe convoluted is the better word) but I'm still lovinggg this game. Need a quick break but I'll be jumping straight back in soon.

Which path?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Foliorum Viridum said:
Iorveth

And.. I haven't seen a castration. I hope that's not a spoiler.

Edit: Oh, it is. Great. :\

You don't know when it happens and with whom, so you are fine. It's all about context.

Kyaw

Foliorum Viridum said:
Iorveth

And.. I haven't seen a castration. I hope that's not a spoiler.

Edit: Oh, it is. Great. :\

Saskia the dragon eh? :D

Go do Roche path ASAP after Iorveth.

Kyaw said:
Saskia the dragon eh? :D

Go do Roche path ASAP after Iorveth.
Yeah that was pretty bad ass. I wish we had more Saskia in the chapter, she's a great character.

And if it doesn't happen on my path then it's cool. If not, I'm going to fucking gut you.

subversus

Also my recommendation is to try and not get caught at the beginning of act 3. It's tought on Iorveth path but there are some sidequests to do. Act 3 is beefier (and just better!) for Roche.

Smokey

Couple of questions.

For the sidequests (got to Floatsam yesterday, got few off the board) is there any way to activate these and get them to show up on your map? I picked up 2 side quests as I mentioned above yet only the main quest shows on the compass. I went into Journal and didn't see a way to activate them?

And parrying...how do I do this? I hold E to block but I've never got that icon to pop up and parry after the attack. Am I doing it wrong?

subversus said:
Also my recommendation is to try and not get caught at the beginning of act 3. It's tought on Iorveth path but there are some sidequests to do. Act 3 is beefier (and just better!) for Roche.
I'm going to re-load the save just before the choice and do the Roche path after I finish it, sometime.

Wallach

Smokey said:
And parrying...how do I do this? I hold E to block but I've never got that icon to pop up and parry after the attack. Am I doing it wrong?

The icon for a parry/riposte comes up before the strike ever hits you - usually just a moment before the blow would connect. If you are playing on hard or above though it won't appear at all.

Smokey

Wallach said:
The icon for a parry/riposte comes up before the strike ever hits you - usually just a moment before the blow would connect. If you are playing on hard or above though it won't appear at all.

While holding still holding E (block) correct?

Finished it.

1 > 2 > Prologue > 3 > Epilogue.

Disappointing end to a great game, really.

Fighting a fucking dragon was pretty awesome. I went for Triss instead of Saskia, so I'm really sad about that at the same time :( I didn't slay her though so hopefully we'll be able to save her in Witcher 3. I also killed Letho which was a tough choice, as I liked him a lot, but it kinda felt like the right thing to do. Then again letting him go also felt like the right thing to do.

So next time I'm going to side with Roche and do quite a few decisions differently.

On the whole it was better in every single way than the first game. It's a shame that it didn't maintain the quality that was present in the first ten or so hours, but I always had fun, even if I was wishing the game would be a bit more exciting in places.

Dark Souls tomorrow, then. God what a good time for RPGs!

Kyaw

Just started my third playthrough on Dark Mode.

Passed through the first hard fight in the courtyard with relative ease.

Yrden + Igni = best combo!

My mind is still getting blown by how good this game looks...
Probably will be going with Iorveth's path just because of the stuff i get to find out compared to Roche's flat out badassery.

darkpaladinmfc said:

Combat in the first game is unlike anything I've encountered in an RPG, I have a real fondness for it. It features one of the most interesting blends of stats, timing and precision clicking I've ever played, I really enjoyed it.

I enjoy it so much actually that I add mods to make it insanely unforgiving when I play through it these days.

gillFTR

Is anyone like me, playing it twice is kind of cheating and kind of ruins your definitive playthrough as the real story. It's neat to know what would of changed, but it lessons the impact of your decisions more so.

Gvaz

Banned
Seems I broke the tutorial by upgrading my thing with a mutagen too soon :(

Also why does it not have voice acting?

subversus

gillFTR said:
Is anyone like me, playing it twice is kind of cheating and kind of ruins your definitive playthrough as the real story. It's neat to know what would of changed, but it lessons the impact of your decisions more so.

It was like this for me for the first game. I played only once because it was sort of personal for me. But this time I didn't feel lke that. But I have to admit that if I played Roche's path first I would delay my second playthrough for 2-3 years because Roche's path was personal to me.

Wallach

Gvaz said:
Seems I broke the tutorial by upgrading my thing with a mutagen too soon :(

Also why does it not have voice acting?

I'm pretty sure the tutorial had voice acting when I tried it. It's definitely pretty poorly polished, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom