• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dries

Holy motherfucking shit, this game is good. So much polish! (haha) Just every aspect of the game is from such a high quality. Reminds me of Uncharted 2.

Gvaz

Banned
Dries said:
Holy motherfucking shit, this game is good. So much polish! (haha) Just every aspect of the game is from such a high quality. Reminds me of Uncharted 2.
Every part of the game is like that.

TBH the tutorial felt kind of insulting.

Derrick01

Banned
Has anyone else's dice game been a little glitchy since the patch? Sometimes I'll have a winning set and end up losing.

Like just today I had a 3 of a kind and 2 of a kind and the other guy didn't have anything that matched up at all and I lost.

Kyaw

Gvaz said:
Every part of the game is like that.

TBH the tutorial felt kind of insulting.

You mean after playing through the entire game for like 2 times on normal difficulty?

It's a TUTORIAL! :p

Aurarian

Is there a set way of using mutagens? I have some greater vitality mutagens, so should they go in abilities like Fortitude in the training tree?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I'm done with RAGE, I just started up my Dark playthrough. Goddamn this game looks amazing and runs really well. I'm constantly impressed just walking around the soldier's camp at the beginning of the game.

Aurarian said:
Is there a set way of using mutagens? I have some greater vitality mutagens, so should they go in abilities like Fortitude in the training tree?
Nope, no set way. Just put them wherever they fit. Not a lot of slots to work with so choose wisely.

Aurarian

Jay Shadow said:
Nope, no set way. Just put them wherever they fit. Not a lot of slots to work with so choose wisely.
Is it worth using the vitality mutagens? I don't really have many mutagens. Only three(two are greater vitality and one madness).

SmokyDave

Dries said:
Hooooooly shit! These enviroments.. this atmosphere.. those details... GOTF?
My sentiments exactly. Now running @ 1080p with ultra settings (except the Ubersampling) and the game makes me cry tears of joy. Helps that it's a damned good game too.

OOOOOOODRIIIIIIIIIIIIIN.

Salaadin

Every single time I enter Flotsam forest, Im in awe. Its the type of game that looks good the first time you play it but continues to amaze every single time you boot it up.

To think that one day these graphics will be out dated.

Kyaw

Salaadin said:
Every single time I enter Flotsam forest, Im in awe. Its the type of game that looks good the first time you play it but continues to amaze every single time you boot it up.

To think that one day these graphics will be out dated.

Witcher 3 with DX11!

BELIEVE.

Tbh, i don't really think they even need DX11... their texture work and environment geometry is insanely good!

Kyaw

It won't be pointless but unnecessary.

I know too little about DirectX technology to accurately make a judgement...

wtf
Steam told me that it had to "recompose" (or something similar i don't remember the exact term) the game
and now it's back to downloading 8GB of datas!

for info i bought the game this week end and play without any trouble on sunday and monday

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sleeper901 said:
wtf
Steam told me that it had to "recompose" (or something similar i don't remember the exact term) the game
and now it's back to downloading 8GB of datas!

for info i bought the game this week end and play without any trouble on sunday and monday

It's nothing to worry about. Valve implemented a better way to handle updates for certain games, like TW2 which used to require players to redownload the game with every patch, so it's a one-time thing you'll have to put up with. Your saves and everything will be fine.

Snuggler said:
It's nothing to worry about. Valve implemented a better way to handle updates for certain games, like TW2 which used to require players to redownload the game with every patch, so it's a one-time thing you'll have to put up with. Your saves and everything will be fine.

still kinda boring to have to wait and download the whole game again when i was planning on playing tonight...

I guess i'll just play metro 2033... wait it's not downloaded either!

Salaadin

I felt bad for the Steam people when CDPR patched the game near release. They had to download a new 8GB patch every week or two. So lame.

raphier

Banned
Salaadin said:
I felt bad for the Steam people when CDPR patched the game near release. They had to download a new 8GB patch every week or two. So lame.
Thank god for GOG!

also, really enjoying patch 2.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sleeper901 said:
still kinda boring to have to wait and download the whole game again when i was planning on playing tonight...

Yeah, that's pretty lame. I'd have some major blue balls if I had to wait for 8gbs to download during my first playthrough. Good thing I went with the GOG version.
0NTVx.gif

rogue74

Salaadin said:

Yes it was. Luckily the game was so good it was worth it.

Salaadin

rogue74 said:
Yes it was. Luckily the game was so good it was worth it.

I saw this yesterday regarding TW2 being converted to the new download system:

Hi All,

Sorry for the confusion. There are two things happening simultaneously: the game is getting converted to our new download system, and it is also getting patched.

The new download system will help ensure that patches for games like The Witcher 2 are as small as possible in the future.

Unfortunately, the conversion process currently has the same issue as the old download system (large files that change are re-downloaded completely), so this update is not getting applied as efficiently for people who already had the game installed. We had hoped to iron out this issue before switching the game to the new system, however things didn't work out that way. The self-patching system previously used by the game was not available for this update, so we decided that if users must suffer through another large update, we would also get it converted over to the new download system so that that this would be the last time.

Taylor
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25663268&postcount=6

So looks like TW2 steam users have one more big download.

Solo said:
19 GB lulz

:_(

Was it 19GB? I was only off by 11GBs!

Salaadin

Thats what you get for not giving GOG your money and supporting CDPR further!
It was their own way of ploughing you and Id say you deserved it!

Ken

Started downloading The Witcher 1 last night since I got it from that sale on Steam awhile back, but I'm wondering if I should jump straight into W2 since I heard it's a lot more improved?

Ken said:
Started downloading The Witcher 1 last night since I got it from that sale on Steam awhile back, but I'm wondering if I should jump straight into W2 since I heard it's a lot more improved?

Witcher 1 is excellent, it is more memorable to me at least, play it first if you've got the time.

Solo

Ken said:

The Witcher is a fine game and worth playing, but it really isn't a requisite for The Witcher 2 and you could easily just jump to that.

So after months of having my collectors edition of the game in a closet becuase i couldnt run the game at a steady framerate, I have at last my new graphics card and I can play the game in 1080 at ultra settings 60fps (without ubber).

So im going to start my first playtrough right now.
What do you guys reccomend, using mouse keyboard or the 360 controller.
I played Witcher 1 with mouse and keyboard just fine, but when I saterted this one the mouse seemed to have a little of lag.

ss_lemonade

SpacePirate Ridley said:
So after months of having my collectors edition of the game in a closet becuase i couldnt run the game at a steady framerate, I have at last my new graphics card and I can play the game in 1080 at ultra settings 60fps (without ubber).

So im going to start my first playtrough right now.
What do you guys reccomend, using mouse keyboard or the 360 controller.
I played Witcher 1 with mouse and keyboard just fine, but when I saterted this one the mouse seemed to have a little of lag.
Played and beat it with the 360 controller. Witcher 1 was designed for mouse and keyboard but the sequel works great (or better?) with the controller.

georaldc said:
Played and beat it with the 360 controller. Witcher 1 was designed for mouse and keyboard but the sequel works great (or better?) with the controller.

So it works great with a controller without any promblems no?
(i think that at first it had some problems with the menus IIRC, does it has stiil those problems or the patches have resolved them?)

Solo said:
KB+M like a gentleman.

Well, that doesnt make it easier to chose. :(

Dries

Huh.... performancetester.exe (found in TW2 folder) says I only have 4 gigs of RAM, but I have 8... Something strange going on?

Salaadin

Wasnt the performance tester kinda funky to begin with or did they fix it?

Check "My Computer" (right click, properties) in Windows or download CPU-Z to see if all 8GBs are showing up in there. If they are, its probably some goofiness in the tester.

ACE 1991

Was starting to wonder if I was going to continue playing this game towards the end of Flotsam, but holy shit do things pick up quickly afterwards. I'm glad I stuck with it, consider me hooked.

leng jai

Hmmm just started my first Dark mode run and got my first talent point. For some reason I can't actually assign it to anything. Anyone got this problem?!

Dries

Another strange thing: the launcher.exe won't start anymore. When I double click it nothing happens. I can still manually start the game by running witcher.exe in the Bin folder, but this is pretty strange though.

Anyway, still loving this game to shreds.

leng jai said:
Hmmm just started my first Dark mode run and got my first talent point. For some reason I can't actually assign it to anything. Anyone got this problem?!
Take a seat. You need to be meditating to level up on difficulties higher than normal.

rakhir

I don't know if anyone linked this before, but Polish blog polygamia has a pretty fun post about illegal copy protection that Witcher 2 has since CDP delated DRM. (SPOILERS ofc)

They changed some cutscenes from the game and killed Geralt in them - for example he gets killed by Roche at the prologue, hanged in Flotsam, pinned by arrows in the forest etc
Or you can get closed off in an area and a bunch of immortal pirates spawn. :)
And ofc they replaced the models for sex scenes with some pretty funny results. :D

(Sorry for crappy polish commercials before each video though)

Dries said:
Another strange thing: the launcher.exe won't start anymore. When I double click it nothing happens. I can still manually start the game by running witcher.exe in the Bin folder, but this is pretty strange though.
Windows 7? If so try to run it as an administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom