• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Yeah you equip armors and weapons but unlike many RPGs you're a pretty set character as far what you look like and what your general abilities are. Your name is Geralt, you're a Witcher, and droves of ladies flock to be in your mere presence.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Sethos said:
No Witcher Engineer / Medic combo? Aww

Well...actually, yes. You can specialize in setting traps and focus heavily on potions and coatings. Voila - Witcher Engineer/Medic.

You're welcome.

abunai

AppleSmack said:
Alright, also does this game support a 4:3 resolution?

No, you'll have to play letterboxed unfortunately. Don't know why a game with such a wealth of pc options only supports 16:9 resolutions.

Zeliard

"Witcher" as an RPG class is essentially a combination of warrior/mage/rogue, so you do have plenty of tools at your disposal.

Exuro

WanderingWind said:
Well...actually, yes. You can specialize in setting traps and focus heavily on potions and coatings. Voila - Witcher Engineer/Medic.

You're welcome.
There aren't healing potions though, only increased regeneration, so "technically" there isn't a medic. :p

Bloodsent

I started playing Witcher EE DC, and once I got maybe 30 minutes into the 2nd chapter, I went to GOG to preorder W2. Great stuff!

Kyaw

Exuro said:
There aren't healing potions though, only increased regeneration, so "technically" there isn't a medic. :p

There are instant health refill potions. But they got removed in Witcher 2? D:

Exuro

Narag said:
They removed the healing potions from the second game?
You can't use potions in battle so it wouldn't really make sense. There are potions that increase vitality regeneration though.

There's this pot though.

White Raffard’s Decoction
Effect: increases vitality at the
expense of damage dealt.
Toxicity: very high

I'm guessing that's more of a buff than a regular pot.

Sethos

Banned
Kyaw said:
There are instant health refill potions. But they got removed in Witcher 2? D:

WanderingWind said:

You're welcome.

Oh you gone dun' goofed up now son :p

Blizzard

Banned
Fox318 said:
Play the Gog game you got for free.
Thanks, I guess I completely forgot about that promo. Where do I go on GoG to download the extra content (wallpapers etc.)? And where do I go to pick one of the 5 games to download? And does anyone have any recommendations which is the best? I already have Gothic 3 (Gotchic 2 is an option I think), but nothing else apparently.

Kyaw

WanderingWind said:
...still counts.

EDIT: What free GoG promo?

The free game you get if you are from EU.

Exuro said:
You can't use potions in battle so it wouldn't really make sense. There are potions that increase vitality regeneration though.

There's this pot though.

White Raffard’s Decoction
Effect: increases vitality at the
expense of damage dealt.
Toxicity: very high

I'm guessing that's more of a buff than a regular pot.

Probably like an extended vitality bar rather than refill.

Blizzard

Banned
Kyaw said:
The free game you get if you are from EU.

Huh? Everyone is supposed to get wallpapers etc. and a free game, according to http://www.gog.com/en/page/tw2v3. I just don't know where to go to download either of them now that I have downloaded the game itself.

*edit* I just realized you have to scroll down in the download popup to see the extra stuff, ha. Now I just need to find out where to get the free game, and which one is best.

Narag

WanderingWind said:
Goddamnit. When will America get cool shit??? Oh, well. Off to watch Netflix instant and check out some stuff on Hulu.

You were offered a choice of one of five games if you ordered through GOG. Pretty sure the EU bonus is just a credit to normalize prices. That's what I remember anyhow.

Blizzard

Banned
Narag said:
You were offered a choice of one of five games if you ordered through GOG. Pretty sure the EU bonus is just a credit to normalize prices. That's what I remember anyhow.
When were you offered this choice? :/ I clicked pay for preorder, entered my credit card number, and that was it unless I just didn't see it.

Exuro

zlatko said:
Still no pre-load on Steam eh? Is there a "common" time most titles on Steam let you pre install?
I think CDPR isn't going to let Steam users preload as they want it to be a GoG exclusive thing which is a load of BS. Not sure what was up with the Gamestop/Facebook thing.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
zlatko said:
Still no pre-load on Steam eh? Is there a "common" time most titles on Steam let you pre install?

Most games that arent from Valve dont, but some big 3rd party games do, most often only a day or night before and with the size of the dl being some 16 gigs dont expect much when the preload does start.

Kyaw

Blizzard said:
Huh? Everyone is supposed to get wallpapers etc. and a free game, according to http://www.gog.com/en/page/tw2v3. I just don't know where to go to download either of them now that I have downloaded the game itself.

*edit* I just realized you have to scroll down in the download popup to see the extra stuff, ha. Now I just need to find out where to get the free game, and which one is best.

Oh shit. Aww ok... initially it was for EU to compensate for the currency changes.

Apparently Gothic 2 or Divine Divinity.

Narag

Blizzard said:
When were you offered this choice? :/ I clicked pay for preorder, entered my credit card number, and that was it unless I just didn't see it.
I didn't order through GOG but I recall someone saying they sent you a code afterwards that let you pick the game from those available.

pahamrick

Blizzard said:
Thanks, I guess I completely forgot about that promo. Where do I go on GoG to download the extra content (wallpapers etc.)? And where do I go to pick one of the 5 games to download? And does anyone have any recommendations which is the best? I already have Gothic 3 (Gotchic 2 is an option I think), but nothing else apparently.

The link for the free game for me was in the order confirmation email that included the serial for Witcher 2.

zlatko

Banned
Enduin said:
Most games that arent from Valve dont, but some big 3rd party games do, most often only a day or night before and with the size of the dl being some 16 gigs dont expect much when the preload does start.

okay_meme_RE_ATTENTION_SHARE_NATION-s300x272-170761.jpg

I'm still pretty noobish about Steam, but will the game be available for everyone to download at midnight PST time in the USA tomorrow night when it switches to the 17th?

Blizzard

Banned
pahamrick said:
The link for the free game for me was in the order confirmation email that included the serial for Witcher 2.
Thanks, I literally just found it there myself and was coming back to post. Now I need to decide which game. D:

WanderingWind

pahamrick said:

So it is!

Divine Divinity
Beyond Divinity
Gothic II
Realms of Arkadia 2 or 3

syoaran

Minsc said:
Prologue = 5 hours
Chapter 1 = 10 hours
Chapter 2 = 10 hours
Chapter 3 = 5 hours
Chapter 4 = 10 hours
Chapter 5 = 5 hours
Epilogue = 1 hour
Total = 46 hours

And I think that's being generous. Trimming any of that off and you're skipping a substantial amount of side quests.

I can see how you would spend that amount of time, but I did not. I attribute it mainly to reading the subtitles quickly rather than listening to the dialogue of generic quest givers, and focusing on igni early on in the game - the spell makes most crypts/dungeons/zones trivial on the normal difficulty setting. I used to make a living out of playing games quickly in QA, so maybe its just me.

Either way I still stand about what I said before, the books are no substitute to the game if your wanting to get the full experience out of the sequel if your just getting started in the witcher2. It's like reading the wiki for HL2 before playing the Episodes. you get the plot, but you don't get the experience.

Exuro

Enduin said:
That's not entirely true. More and more non valve games have been getting preloads. Heck Fable 3 has a preload on Steam. This is an issue with CDPR not wanting Steam to have a preload.

WanderingWind

Blizzard said:
Thanks, I literally just found it there myself and was coming back to post. Now I need to decide which game. D:

Same. If you don't have Gothic II, it's one of the best open-world RPGs made. I know nothing of Arkadia, and I know one of the Divinity games is supposed to be good, and one crap.

abunai

zlatko said:
I'm still pretty noobish about Steam, but will the game be available for everyone to download at midnight PST time in the USA tomorrow night when it switches to the 17th?

IIRC the game unlocks on May 17th at 7am BST (EST+5)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Jay Shadow said:
Well according to Gamespot L.A. Noire and Fable III on PC are the headlining releases for the week...

WHAT?! Are you kidding me? I was this close to buying it on my ( packed ) 360. I'd love to play it on pc

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Exuro said:
That's not entirely true. More and more non valve games have been getting preloads. Heck Fable 3 has a preload on Steam.

Fable is a multi million selling series so its not the greatest example, its a perfect candidate for preload on Steam, but yes more games are but not every game does, which was my point. Though under normal circumstance The Witcher 2 would have gotten a preload but obviously CD Projekt wants to get as many purchases off GOG as they can and having a preload when Steam does not helps them in that endeavor.

In any event whenever The Witcher 2 is available for download off Steam it is going to likely be a very slow and torturous process for most people given the size and demand of the game. I would be willing to bet Valve is angry enough at the likely hood of their servers getting pummeled due to not having a proper preload period, not even taking into account their loss of sales revenue to GOG.

Blizzard

Banned
It looked like the choice came down to Gothic II vs. Divine Divinity for me (both good metacritic ratings). Apparently I already own the Gotchic II gold edition on Steam and had forgotten, so Divine Divinity it is. =P

WanderingWind said:
But moneyhats don't exist!
Nah, I think it's more of a console centric site with a console game on PC rather than a money hat in this scenario. It's kinda ridiculous that they have the best Witcher 2 trailer of all the sites and it's not on their front page.

WanderingWind

Jay Shadow said:
Nah, I think it's more of a console centric site with a console game on PC rather than a money hat in this scenario. It's kinda ridiculous that they have the best Witcher 2 trailer of all the sites and it's not on their front page.

Optimist :p

Exuro

The Witcher 2 on Steam has just been strange. They have a TF2 promotion but aren't promoting it on TW2's page nor on the main page. The fact that there is even a TF2 promotion is weird. Kind of surprised we haven't heard about achievements yet either.

Minsc

Gold Member
Gully State said:
Not that it matters at this point...but I'm concerned that the early reviews have said that the ending isn't satisfying...What really made the Witcher great in my mind was the ending. Up until the big twist, the game was just good IMO. It would be really disappointing to me if the game didn't end on such a high note as the original did.

To be fair 2 things:

1) I believe they never said the ending isn't satisfying, just that it is not as good as the prologue. Given one preview said the prologue is the most exciting introduction to an RPG they've ever played, I don't see that as a horrible thing.
2) These are the same people who are skipping everything that is not the main quest to finish the game and review it. It's possible a few of the hundreds of side quests that they skipped put a damper on it, or lessened the meaning of it.

syoaran said:
I can see how you would spend that amount of time, but I did not. I attribute it mainly to reading the subtitles quickly rather than listening to the dialogue of generic quest givers, and focusing on igni early on in the game - the spell makes most crypts/dungeons/zones trivial on the normal difficulty setting. I used to make a living out of playing games quickly in QA, so maybe its just me.

Either way I still stand about what I said before, the books are no substitute to the game if your wanting to get the full experience out of the sequel if your just getting started in the witcher2. It's like reading the wiki for HL2 before playing the Episodes. you get the plot, but you don't get the experience.

Yea, I think it's you (no offense), playing on medium definitely lowers your time a little, and skipping a lot of the VA does as well, as does taking advantage of igni early on and playing games quickly in QA. There's no shortage of people who take 60+ hours to play the game, I just didn't want someone to think it'd be normal to have a 25-30 hour playthrough, unless they're the type of person to blast through games. I did more or less claim it was impossible earlier though, so that is wrong, just highly unlikely for someone to have such a short run through TW1.

As for the books, they're no substitute to the game, I agree, but the game is usually around 50 hours, and for 1/5th that investment, you can have a great feeling for the characters by reading The Last Wish. A lot of people find the game's combat and pacing horrible too, which wouldn't be a problem in the short stories. Just a suggestion for those who want a little more than nothing going in on the game in the next few days. :)

Hawk269

I am still a PC noob and built a new rig about a month ago. Based on what you guys know of the game, would I be able to max this game out? Perhaps even Uber settings at 60fps?

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 x2 SLI OC 875/1750/2050
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz OC 4.5Ghz
Corsair Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 PSU
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD x2
Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate Edition
Sony Bravia KDL-55HX800 55" 1080p 3D TV

Status