• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snuggler said:
Just run. The drowners are easy but the tentacle plants can fuck your shit up. When you come back in the next chapter they're not so bad. Strong silver + igni takes em down fast.

Yeah I felt like a total badass when I came back (stat-ed up) and wrecked multiple plants at the time.

Igni ftw!

czarship

Does the GOG preload unlock before Steam's? Still trying to decide who to buy from.

fanboi said:
What will I miss, can I recap this or isn't it needed?
In one of the preview videos, a developer stated that the story will be easy to pick up for newcomers. The Wikipedia page for the first game has a nice plot synopsis if you're interested.

EDIT: wrong "your" :(

zlatko

Banned
fanboi said:
I have never ever played Witcher 1, and now I bought Witcher 2.

I'm in the same boat. Just go to google and look up a synopsis.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
DennisK4 said:
Would you believe I have been virtually without Internet for a week.

I have gotten so much done its terrifying.
I actually went without power and hot water about 2 weeks ago.

THAT is horrifying.

Luthos

czarship said:
In one of the preview videos, a developer stated that the story will be easy to pick up for newcomers. The Wikipedia page for the first game has a nice plot synopsis if your interested.
To be fair, they also stated the game assumes you already know all the characters.

And the story kinda focuses on the fallout from the ending of the first, but I assume they will recap that.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
fanboi said:
I have never ever played Witcher 1, and now I bought Witcher 2.

zlatko said:
I'm in the same boat. Just go to google and look up a synopsis.

You both should go here and spend a couple hours looking around, you'll basically know everything little thing youll need to know and probably more.

The Witcher Wikia

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
zlatko said:
Hours? Da fuck?

Honestly 2 hours can fly on wikias. You go to read the synopsis and the next thing you know you have 20 different tabs open and have read every bit of info on the game. Its really not that daunting it just very easily engrossing.

Enduin said:
Honestly 2 hours can fly on wikias. You go to read the synopsis and the next thing you know you have 20 different tabs open and have read every bit of info on the game. Its really not that daunting it just very easily engrossing.

In only 2 hours? For The Witcher? lol

Neki

Enduin said:
Always happens when someone links a T.V tropes link, my worst enemy.

elwes

Pre-downloading TW2 on GOG.com as I type this. :D

Can't wait for tomorrow night after work.

edit: I should recap myself on the first game as well. Been awhile since I've beaten it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
How About No said:
In only 2 hours? For The Witcher? lol

I am a bit of a speed reader, but in 2 hours you can easily know everything you need to know of the Witcher 1 going into the Witcher 2.

Just bought it on GOG.com.

I can live without achievements and cloud saving, if good developers get all the money I pay for their games.

And hey, didn't know that with a new account you get a couple of games including beneath a steel sky. :O

EDIT: and if you live in Europe, the game on GOG is significantly cheaper than on steam.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
bengraven said:
I wish my Steam version would just preload. :(

No matter how hard I click...

Hv5PC.png

Edit: I never realized I spelled enhanced wrong lol.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
metareferential: Nothing to do with making an account, they're just offered free since they're officially freeware now. You could get those games other places as well, without making an account or anything.

StarEye said:
metareferential: Nothing to do with making an account, they're just offered free since they're officially freeware now. You could get those games other places as well, without making an account or anything.

Didn't know that, thank you for enlightening me.

The game is cheaper though. 44.99 $ vs. 44.99 euros. That's a pretty big difference nowadays. It's 30% cheaper.

metareferential said:
Didn't know that, thank you for enlightening me.

The game is cheaper though. 44.99 $ vs. 44.99 euros. That's a pretty big difference nowadays. It's 30% cheaper.

Or you can do as I and many others did and have some US GAFer gift you the US version. It's the same, and it's 44.99USD.

Castor Krieg said:
Or you can do as I and many others did and have some US GAFer gift you the US version. It's the same, and it's 44.99USD.

Yes, but I really wanted to buy it on GOG, to help them and to try a new dd retailer.

The side effect is, I've already bought other games. xD

Sanjay

You people are crazy, don't read up on The Witcher, go fucking play it. Best RPG of the last 5 years and you guys are spoiling it for your self for no good reason.

zlatko

Banned
Sanjay said:
You people are crazy, don't read up on The Witcher, go fucking play it. Best RPG of the last 5 years and you guys are spoiling it for your self for no good reason.

Psh! You clearly haven't played Dragon Age 2. ;)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
zlatko said:
Psh! You clearly haven't played Dragon Age 2. ;)

Stop it. Don't even joke about something like this.

;P

zlatko

Banned
Pankaks said:
Stop it. Don't even joke about something like this.

;P

Troll successful. +5 Renegade points earned. :D

I can't wait to play Witcher 2 though. I have a feeling even without playing #1 that it won't make too big of an impact to enjoy the games story and with Gaf here I can always ask if something didn't make too much sense. ;)

Sober

Sanjay said:
Blame the hype train. I would want to go back and do another playthrough of TW1 (I mysteriously lost my save), but like most RPGs (no exception here) you sorta need to just push through and commit to the game from start to end. Sure, the first game has arguably more hurdles to get through, but people are just so hyped for the sequel that they can't concentrate on finishing the first game in time for Tuesday and fold to the pressure.

I think.

Tokubetsu

I know some don't agree but I certainly find TW1 a bet tedious. 70% of the problem is all the god damn loading though. Two games and three expanions on Aurora Engine was two games and three expansions too many. I love Mask of The Betrayer to death but I hesitate to reinstall every time because of this piece of shit engine.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Anyone else having a problem getting the GOG downloader to run? It worked fine the first time for the preload but since then whenever I try to run it, it asks for permission but then never loads. I pinned it to the taskbar so it would be ready to go but now I'm concerned about it not working when it's ready to go tomorrow.
I tried downloading it again but I'm still having the same issue. I'm on Windows 7 if that makes a difference.

Tokubetsu

Snuggler said:
Anyone else having a problem getting the GOG downloader to run? It worked fine the first time for the preload but since then whenever I try to run it, it asks for permission but then never loads. I pinned it to the taskbar so it would be ready to go but now I'm concerned about it not working when it's ready to go tomorrow.
I tried downloading it again but I'm still having the same issue. I'm on Windows 7 if that makes a difference.

Set it to start when windows starts and forget it.

Echoplx

Snuggler said:

Is it hidden in the system tray at all? Does it even show up in the task manager?

Van Buren

Tokubetsu said:
I know some don't agree but I certainly find TW1 a bet tedious. 70% of the problem is all the god damn loading though. Two games and three expanions on Aurora Engine was two games and three expansions too many. I love Mask of The Betrayer to death but I hesitate to reinstall every time because of this piece of shit engine.

The loading, instability and rough translation were problems during release, I agree. I replayed it recently after three and a half years, and I was impressed with how polished it seemed in comparison to its original state. The loading is near-instantaneous on a SSD, there were zero crashes over the 60 hours compared to the constant memory leaks that existed before, and the overhauled script flows very well.

The game might not have the same amount of polish as a first-party console title, and it might lack the cinematic flair of the Mass Effects, but I'm willing to cut it some slack since it is one of the few games that tries to tackle moral ambiguity and intelligent choices and consequences in games; Obsidian's and Spiderweb Software's past games are the only other recent candidates I can think of, so we're not exactly spoilt for choice.

Tangentially, the MOTB engine is in a lot better state now after the numerous patches, but iirc, TW1 runs on NWN1's engine.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
3chopl0x said:
Is it hidden in the system tray at all? Does it even show up in the task manager?

It was set to be in the system tray but the icon wouldn't show up for some reason. I was trying to launch the .exe file but it wouldn't respond. Anyways, I restarted and pinned it to my taskbar again and it launched so I'm good.

now I just stare at it and wait for the final 121mb to download

Salacious Crumb

How many hours from now until the game is released? I've just made it to chapter 4 in the first game and I want to know how long I've got to finish it.

Pancakes

Salacious Crumb said:
How many hours from now until the game is released? I've just made it to chapter 4 in the first game and I want to know how long I've got to finish it.

I think I saw someone say that it unlocks at 3AM so, roughly 24 hours.

Lime

I think it's kind of shitty to move the original release time of the game. I don't know whether or not the publisher has had a hand in this decision, but it is not very good PR to suddenly change up on its original time of release. Instead of a midnight release I will have to wait until the middle of the 17th. Buying it retail might even be quicker than waiting so long for them to release those final megabytes.

Tokubetsu

Van Buren said:
The loading, instability and rough translation were problems during release, I agree. I replayed it recently after three and a half years, and I was impressed with how polished it seemed in comparison to its original state. The loading is near-instantaneous on a SSD, there were zero crashes over the 60 hours compared to the constant memory leaks that existed before, and the overhauled script flows very well.

The game might not have the same amount of polish as a first-party console title, and it might lack the cinematic flair of the Mass Effects, but I'm willing to cut it some slack since it is one of the few games that tries to tackle moral ambiguity and intelligent choices and consequences in games; Obsidian's and Spiderweb Software's past games are the only other recent candidates I can think of, so we're not exactly spoilt for choice.

Tangentially, the MOTB engine is in a lot better state now after the numerous patches, but iirc, TW1 runs on NWN1's engine.

NVM, you're right. NWN2 was electron or w/e

And not all of us have SSDs man ='(

Van Buren said:

I just quit playing to take a break because 2 crashes in a row (thank god I saved right before) happened on the same fight.
just after opening the portal for the elves at the big salamander fight
This is with the enhanced edition.

Think I've had 6 or 7 crashes so far and I'm only near the end of chapter III.
Longer play sessions seem to result in crashes.

Save times (not quick save) grow exponentially as you gather more save slots.
Quick load and zone loads are sometimes painfully long (like almost 10seconds, maybe that's okay for console standards but on a pc that's bullshit).

I'm enjoying the game, it looks pretty for it's age (art and the weather effects and most of the textures) , but fuck that engine.

At least it's able to handle alt tab unlike the engines of it's competitors, now that is some truely shameful stuff.

Tokubetsu

SneakyStephan said:
I just quit playing to take a break because 2 crashes in a row (thank god I saved right before) happened on the same fight.
just after opening the portal for the elves at the big salamander fight
This is with the enhanced edition.

Think I've had 6 or 7 crashes so far and I'm only near the end of chapter III.
Longer play sessions seem to result in crashes.

Save times (not quick save) grow exponentially as you gather more save slots.
Quick load and zone loads are sometimes painfully long (like almost 10seconds, maybe that's okay for console standards but on a pc that's bullshit).

I'm enjoying the game, it looks pretty for it's age (art and the weather effects and most of the textures) , but fuck that engine.

At least it's able to handle alt tab unlike the engines of it's competitors, now that is some truely shameful stuff.

I had a couple crashes at that same point too actually

Van Buren

SneakyStephan said:
*List of engine troubles*

There was another Gaffer who had crashes at that same spot you're mentioning. I think it had something to do with using Igni on too many enemies at once.

Regarding the other issues though, I brought out my old 8800 and downgraded the drivers to those that existed in 2007/8, and it was smooth sailing. I needed to do it to replay NWN2 anyway, so it seemed worth it.

The save and load issues were something that plagued me in 2007, but were thankfully absent on my recent playthrough. Back in 2007, I had crashes every 10-15 minutes in Chapter 3, and ended up loving the game to bits despite that. I'm hoping the RED engine is more stable at launch, but it wouldn't surprise me if it weren't.

Tokubetsu said:
Not according to wiki:
NWN2 is supposed to be based on an entire overhaul of the Aurora engine, and the resulting engine was called the Electron engine. I guess one can say it is based on the aged Aurora engine similar to how Skyrim's Creation engine is based on an overhaul of Gamebryo.

dino1980

Salacious Crumb said:

About 21 hours and 30 minutes. At 9.00 o´clock here in Sweden tomorrow I can finally play this game :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom