• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I wish I knew already whether my C2D can run this at acceptable speeds, if not, well, then I won't cry (Only a little, well, a lot), considering the first game doesn't run all that hot either.

Echoplx

BeeDog said:
Really? Awesome then. Can't wait for my retail copy tomorrow!

Yep, scroll up and you shall see :)

Several major balance fixes (economy and fight)
On screen fixes (items descriptions, journal etc.)
Audio mix fixes
Several audio areas, music, cutscene fixes and added better sounds
Many UI fixes (functional, smoother and more user friendly ex. inventory items selection)
Many fixes to quests, quests markers
Visual fixes to fade outs, blackscreens in scenes, cutscenes
Many community fixes - work, npc’s life
Big opponents fights balance and fixes
Many cutscenes fixes - animations, items, lipsync
Gamepad fixes - playing gamepad is now much better
Camera fixes - collisions with objects, collisions with npc’s, combat camera improvements
Some hair physics fixes
Minor QTE fixes
Several locations fixes - objects collisions, envoirements improvements, lights, effects
Crafting, shops, alchemy improvements
Added new autosaves in important places (ex. before fight with Letho, Arachas, Draug)
Some random crashes fixes
Dice poker improvements - logic bugs fixes

Fix yer stuff before release, that's how you do it.
I hope it'll be a smooth bugfree release, I really want it to be, for their sake too.
They already have so much goodwill behind them from their fans, this would only bolster their reputation.

ColonialRaptor said:
Oh my.... even with such terrible quality video you can see it's so beautiful! Wow!

13FPS on Uber with a 4890 is pretty encouraging for me being able to run 30+ on my 5970 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I don't understand how he can give a number and not a wide range.
Surely every pc game has parts that are much more demanding than other parts.

Look at the first game, in most areas I get 50-80 fps, in the trade quarter 25-40, in some of the chapter 4 parts also low 30s.

For all we know the larger, more impressive or npc filled areas will slow it down to single digits.

Kind of the whole point of pc exlusives, being able to go crazy now and then because you aren't tied to meeting a minimum framerate at fixed settings on fixed hardware.

Minsc

Gold Member
SneakyStephan said:
Fix yer stuff before release, that's how you do it.
I hope it'll be a smooth bugfree release, I really want it to be, for their sake too.
They already have so much goodwill behind them from their fans, this would only bolster their reputation.

Pretty much every game of this scope has bugs. Even the best (especially the best) of them.

Gives you something to look forward to in future playthroughs!

I don't understand how he can give a number and not a wide range.
Surely every pc game has parts that are much more demanding than other parts.

He specified the exact location he was getting the framerate though, so it's not an arbitrary number, however we don't have any frame of reference for the relevance of the location yet - as you mention it could be an area that fares better than others.

Darklord

Banned
On GoG where do I get my free game? I pre-ordered the game but only just realized it says I can have 1 of 5 games for free. How?

Narag

Darklord said:
On GoG where do I get my free game? I pre-ordered the game but only just realized it says I can have 1 of 5 games for free. How?

People said you were able to choose via a link in your purchase confirmation email.

Finally done Salaadin's custom Avatar :)

I think it turned out pretty good for a full custom Pixel art character don't you think?

sal77mn.png

Minsc

Gold Member
dino1980 said:
So then I will get around 30fps on ultrasampling if his cpu isnt a bottleneck. Hmm maybe have to buy one more 6970-card to max it. Just have to see tomorrow.

He was testing it on a 4890 though, which I mentioned as being close to a 460, not 260, which is what you asked about your 6970 compared too. I brought up the 260 because there was another recent preview commenting about performance on high which I put in relation to that, sorry if it confused you.

So your 6970 on ultra/uber should be in the ballpark of 50% faster than the 4890 going by the average, maybe slightly more.

dino1980

Minsc said:
He was testing it on a 4890 though, which I mentioned as being close to a 460, not 260, which is what you asked about your 6970 compared too. I brought up the 260 because there was another recent preview commenting about performance on high in relation to that, sorry if it confused you.

So your 6970 on ultra/uber should be in the ballpark of 50% faster than the 4890 going by the average, maybe slightly more.

Ok read wrong, only 50% more power, hmm no ultrasampling for me then. Thanks for the correction.

Also read this on gametrailers forum from one who is playing the game. Its seams that for now it doesnt support crossfirex.

Just finished the retrospective part of Prologue. Oh my...

The game doesn't seem to recognize Crossfire. That means I'm unable to play on Ultra, but high is very fluent and looks hawt too.

I'm not sure if it's just me but there seems to be an occasional microscopic imput lag in combat. Doesn't really bother me that much but should be mentioned. Note this is the pre patch version.

Combat is hard. Even on normal. One on one you're going to be fine, two on one is tricky, three on one is a fight for your life, 4 or more you have no chance. Aard and Yrden are a must, as is blocking. Rolling is not good enough to spam it, better to position yourself correctly. You can't insta switch between swinging your sword and, say blocking, Geralt has to regain some balance beforehand so no kamikaze strikes or you're dead.

Yeah, I'm going back to the dungeon.

Link

Coldsnap said:
blame facebook's lame layout

So who is 3chopl0x? how is revealing to GAF who you are bad?

dino1980 said:
The game doesn't seem to recognize Crossfire. That means I'm unable to play on Ultra, but high is very fluent and looks hawt too.

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!! 5970 up shit creek without a paddle... gawd dammit!

dino1980 said:
Combat is hard. Even on normal. One on one you're going to be fine, two on one is tricky, three on one is a fight for your life, 4 or more you have no chance. Aard and Yrden are a must, as is blocking. Rolling is not good enough to spam it, better to position yourself correctly. You can't insta switch between swinging your sword and, say blocking, Geralt has to regain some balance beforehand so no kamikaze strikes or you're dead.
... Boner.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
dino1980 said:

Awesome. Hype meter +10

pahamrick

dino1980 said:
Also read this on gametrailers forum from one who is playing the game. Its seams that for now it doesnt support crossfirex.

No CAP profile yet for Witcher 2, but there's bound to be a profile that will give some CFX scaling by renaming the exe/using radeonpro. Looks like I'll be tweaking and screwing around with profiles to find a good one before I get into the game proper.

Everything else sounds promising though.

Minsc

Gold Member
dino1980 said:

This isn't too surprising though is it? For a completely new engine? I'd expect ATI to have profiles out in a few weeks though, right? Hopefully!

That's good news, and the comments about combat being hard on normal a strong warning for those jumping right in to insane mode difficulty, for sure!

A game that challenges you and punishes you for acting without thinking?

Balderdash! Surely all us gamers are batshit retarded and we give up as soon as the tv stops telling us how amazing we are for pressing X on cue or giving us gold stars for making a poopoo.

@ fanboi: ultra, easily.
Do you really have to ask with that kind of gpu.

SneakyStephan said:

Balderdash! Surely all us gamers are batshit retarded and we give up as soon as the tv stops telling us how amazing we are for pressing X on cue.
This is a PC game. :)

fanboi said:
i5 2.8 GIGAWATTS
4GB ram
GTX570

High / Ultra?

:|
I'm wondering as well, since I have a Core i7 @ 3.6 GHz, 12 GB RAM, and a GTX 275. The latter is probably the only bottleneck for me. We'll see tomorrow.

SneakyStephan said:

Balderdash! Surely all us gamers are batshit retarded and we give up as soon as the tv stops telling us how amazing we are for pressing X on cue or giving us gold stars for making a poopoo.

But I'm crap at games that require timing these days... I'm going to have to pull out my mega old school PSO skills pronto!

dino1980

Minsc said:
That's good news, and the comments about combat being hard on normal a strong warning for those jumping right in to insane mode difficulty, for sure!

For me im wondering if im gonna start out with playing the game on normal and not hard.

fanboi

Banned
SneakyStephan said:

Do you really have to ask with that kind of gpu.

Just want to rub it in :p

not really

FoxSpirit

I wonder if I can buy the German retail and switch the language to English? I love my boxes, but I hate German voice acting in games.

Minsc said:
He was testing it on a 4890 though, which I mentioned as being close to a 460, not 260, which is what you asked about your 6970 compared too. I brought up the 260 because there was another recent preview commenting about performance on high which I put in relation to that, sorry if it confused you.

With that 'average' thing I have the best card on the list!

Wow! But, without Crossfire, my card means nothing :/

I will have to rename the .exe so hopefully I'll still be able to get some performance out of it, I suppose Crysis2.exe would be the best file name because that's the only other game that is so graphically intensive on DX9 I guess...

That's not how it works...
Renaming the exe works for games that use the same engine as a different game for which there is already a profile out.

Since it's CDPR's own engine, first time being used you'll have to wait for a profile from AMD.

dino1980

Phenom II x4 955 Black edition C3 - not overlocked.
4gb ram
GTX 460 768mb

So don't worry ppl, if I can play on ultra (full hd) without uber, you shouldn't have much problem.

There's a noticable difference between Uber OFF/ON, but only while comparising screenshots, while playing, you won't notice shit :)

Edit:mad:down Frame - 30-40 (frapsing)

Now, all say kindly thank you, and let me play, no more answering to questions :)

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/official-witcher-2-thread-v11-/1212137?page=3

pahamrick

ColonialRaptor said:
I suppose Crysis2.exe would be the best file name because that's the only other game that is so graphically intensive on DX9 I guess...

Don't count on it. When I was playing AC:Brotherhood when it launched, I figured the AC2 profile would work best since it was essentially the same engine. It worked decently, but whenever there was a cinematic or I accessed the menu my FPS would halve until I restarted the game.

Using one of the generic profiles gave me a solid 60fps at 8xAA with no graphical glitches. So, while there's no official support yet there's bound to be a profile that will give you a good boost on the 5970.

pahamrick said:
Don't count on it. When I was playing AC:Brotherhood when it launched, I figured the AC2 profile would work best since it was essentially the same engine. It worked decently, but whenever there was a cinematic or I accessed the menu my FPS would halve until I restarted the game.

Using one of the generic profiles gave me a solid 60fps at 8xAA with no graphical glitches. So, while there's no official support yet there's bound to be a profile that will give you a good boost on the 5970.

How do you apply generic profiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom