• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

Swamped

Banned
Ok last game for me ohlawd, I should eat soon. But good games! Fun stuff!

Edit: soooo close! I'll beat you next time! I think our matches are so fun because we both use a lot of ex bursts in one match so it's always a bloodbath lol.

ohlawd

mine's in my profile

I'll put up the lobby.

edit: k I have it up.

lol I completely screwed that up. Getting the chocobo map now.

good games, tm

that one time you did two Judgments in a row...

gimme a sec to add you

edit: alright lobby's up. Want the chocobo map after? It's a super long map with nothing but Fat Chocobos and Ultimate FMSs.

Actually, this is the first time I'm doing versus. Do I have to do something before I can play it? It's greyed out.

ohlawd

Gotta play some more songs before that unlocks. I forget how soon. I'm gonna be up for another two hours anyway so I can sit tight if it does unlock early based on Rhythmia. Have you done a Quest Medley? Maybe that too.

Ohohohohohoho really? Next time I'll make it 2-6 then :p

swampy, don't tease me :(

Played some TFF today, but I spent most of the time getting back into FF8 on Steam. I think I'm done with Disc 1 since
Squall just got impaled by Edea/Ultimicea and it asked me to save afterwards
. Can't wait to continue that storyline.

Anustart

Played some TFF today, but I spent most of the time getting back into FF8 on Steam. I think I'm done with Disc 1 since

I've been eyeing FF 7 and 8 in my steam library, but sadly with my university work I don't have much time anymore :(

Swamped

Banned

I just played FFVIII over the summer! I had never played it before actually. Discs 1 and 2 are the best, such a gripping story. I couldn't wait to get back from work and play more.

Anustart

I just played FFVIII over the summer! I had never played it before actually. Discs 1 and 2 are the best, such a gripping story. I couldn't wait to get back from work and play more.

8 is my second favorite after 6. Sometimes I even think
it might be my favorite and 6 is second >.<

Teiran

I can't say I liked 8 much, but I still insta-bought Shuffle or Boogie as soon as I picked this game up because come on.

cafemomo

best party best games
Bybz6vOCIAAvrJr.jpg:large

Falk

that puzzling face
I think I said this in the thread for the first Theathythm game...but the FF12 music stands out as so dull and poorly instrumentated compared to all the other games when you go through all the songs.

Well, its style is pure orchestral (and not hybrid orchestral with massive percussion like FFXIV)

That generally doesn't translate well to rhythm games.

Anustart

So stupid that failing on a hold note makes input not be read until the supposed time it was going to finish that hold note. Easy to see this on Maybe I'm a Lion. Right at the beginning I fuck up a hold note often, and that causes a chain reaction of bad's because input isn't read for that time period and it throws my timing way off.

FirLocke

Just passed 10,000 rhythmia. Loving this so much! Love me some March of the Dreadnoughts and Blue Fields. I wish they included music from albums SE have made like Distant Worlds, or the Piano Collections. That would have been amazing.

Nohar

I keep asking myself how utter shit like FFX Challenge got in or FFVIIAC Divinity II but not iconic FF songs like Liberi Fatali and I come up blank.

You did not say that.

Though, I was disappointed they choose Launch... I prefer the version which plays during Yuna's Wedding. Way more interesting.

That being said, there are some disappointments in the track list. I was flabbergasted to not see "Eternity: Memory of lightwaves" in the FFX-2 track list. Turns out it is a DLC... (&#9583;°&#9633;°&#65289;&#9583;&#65077; &#9531;&#9473;&#9531;)

FMS more like FML amirite

it feels like it becomes really apparent that this is not a rhythm game designed with buttons in mind when you're trying to hit an arrow at the end of a curvy slider
though i guess that's the lesser of two evils considering the other option is actually having to follow the slider with some precision via touch

or maybe i'm just dumb and bad and doing something wrong
From what I remember you only have to follow the slider in the y-axis via touch and only for hold notes but I hear the graphical change in Curtain Call makes it harder. For swipes position does not matter.

But yeah its been months since I played Theathrhythm (stopped when I heard about this and its not a good time to buy for me right now) so maybe my memory is wrong here.

Falk

that puzzling face
There's nothing wrong with arrows at the end of curvy sliders. I initially thought it was finicky as hell, but really.

The sliders are always in the opposite direction of the final stretch and/or pointed backwards. Meaning if your nub is in either of the left up or left down quadrants (depending on the angle of the last bit of hold) flicking it the appropriate way is really no different than hitting regular arrow notes.

My 'aha' moment came when I realized the button absolutely needed to be depressed when you flick, with absolutely no tolerance if you release even a couple of ms early (as it counts as a different move as far as input is concerned netting you a bad) BUT that at the same time the game doesn't penalize you at all for holding way past the end* of the hold, as long as you released it some time before the next note.

*Seriously. Try it. Just hold the button down way past the end, you still get a critical if you flick at the right time.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
From what I remember you only have to follow the slider in the y-axis via touch and only for hold notes but I hear the graphical change in Curtain Call makes it harder. For swipes position does not matter.

But yeah its been months since I played Theathrhythm (stopped when I heard about this and its not a good time to buy for me right now) so maybe my memory is wrong here.
He's talking about using buttons.

Seil

I'm currently just playing around with the demo, ordered a copy last night.

For FMS with button mode, I was also having trouble but I realized something that makes it far more manageable:

You only need to move up/down once during a curve for it to count, basically. After you hit the last pip, make sure you've gone up or down, pending on the curve, and you can stop caring. You don't have to be perfectly centered, or even touching the end note, just have gone in the correct direction beforehand.

This means, you get to the last curve, move slightly, then you can just release the circlepad, hold and focus on the flick at the end. If you can get used to not following the entire curve, you're set.

Edit: The whole, not needing to follow the whole curve applies to all of them, not just the ones with flicks at the end, by the way. So you can test it out pretty easily.

Well, its style is pure orchestral (and not hybrid orchestral with massive percussion like FFXIV)

That generally doesn't translate well to rhythm games.

It's not even how they translate to a rhythm game. The style of the music feels super out of place compared to the rest of the games.

I finally realized what it was after I made the post though. Between the type of MIDI they used and the composition, it feels like that cheesy Saturday morning hero cartoon music, like what The Wonderful 101 was going for. Just sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the other games' scores.

I really like that the quest medleys having multiple paths that make you want to go back through it to see the rest of it.

And I guess you only get the map rewards once, right?

Bit delayed, but posted my review for Cubed3 - gave it 9/10.

Got Hyrule Warriors at the same time, but I've played about 15 mins of it! Theatrhythm's eaten up all of my time. Have some minor gripes with relation to menus, no English tracks for vocal songs and some highly rated tracks not getting in the game or as DLC at all, but otherwise an astounding package for a budget price.

Online versus is so good, but I hate that you can't turn off EX Bursts for lower than Ultimate. It's forced me to get good, though!

CorvoSol

You did not say that.

Though, I was disappointed they choose Launch... I prefer the version which plays during Yuna's Wedding. Way more interesting.

That being said, there are some disappointments in the track list. I was flabbergasted to not see "Eternity: Memory of lightwaves" in the FFX-2 track list. Turns out it is a DLC... (&#9583;°&#9633;°&#65289;&#9583;&#65077; &#9531;&#9473;&#9531;)

I did say it, because it is a terribland song.

Anyway, I got Surferoth last night. Now I need just Laguna, Fran, and Lisette. But I can't freakin' generate any maps with silver and gold shards. Is there a way to do this other than to just keep running through quests until one appears by random chance?

Heropon

I have the same problem with the Golden Shards and I can't ask anyone to give me a quest with them because my ISP sucks.

I can't agree more with the opinions about Launch. It was a bad surprise discovering how bland it is. In FFX using the airship and having things to do there distracted me from seeing the truth about it.

I have a Medium map that gives 6 Golden Shards and 4 Silver Shards if either of you wants it.

Edit -- Ah, sucks about your ISP. I've been having issues lately too, but mines seems alright at the moment.

Top Bottom