• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

Was way too busy with work to participate in last week's competition, but I hope to submit a score or two this week. Might still be too swamped with deadlines, though... if so, definitely next week!

Are drops/exp gained affected by difficulty at all? Expert is probably a good balance for ensuring you get a high score while still having enough notes to work with.
As far as drops go there might be a slightly higher chance of better drops in higher difficulties but I have a feeling Fat Chocobo has a separate drop table for each difficulty.

As for EXP gained. Totally affected by difficulty. In BMS harder difficulties give you stronger enemies which you earn more EXP for killing and for FMS you'll travel further which seems to be one of the factors for EXP gain there.

The main thing is finding when you get enough done. You should always aim to find a balance between getting 6 drops per BMS and earning lots of EXP (I personally play BMS with 3 level 99 and one person I'm leveling so my goal is 9999 EXP).

Min0

So if I understood correctly what's written in the OP, I can skip the first game because this one has all of the previous tracks and DLC + more, right?

Kirlia

Banned
So if I understood correctly what's written in the OP, I can skip the first game because this one has all of the previous tracks and DLC + more, right?

I believe the only thing that's really unique to the first game are the EMSes for FFs 1 to 13. But fuck EMSes and their nonsense difficulty! And the songs for those EMSes are in Curtain Call as FMSes or BMSes. So there is pretty much no point in getting the first game unless you like collecting games.

Wichu

Yeah, the end of the competition was pretty badly timed for me.

Anyway, I don't have any time free until tomorrow, but I'll try to catch up :)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Reposting for a new page!
WELCOME TO WEEK #2 OF THE NEOGAF TFF:CC COMMUNITY CHALLENGE

Please check out the GAF Leaderboard for Week #1!

• YOU MUST SUBMIT A SCREEN SHOT OF YOUR SCORE. Example: HERE or HERE
• All four stages will be on the Ultimate score difficulty.
• Score must have been achieved during the competition week.
Obviously this is done on an HONOR system, in the spirit of fun competition, do not submit "old" high scores.
• In the event of a score tie, the winner will be determined by most Criticals.
• Next week's stages will be determined by last week’s winner on that stage.
BMS winner will determine next BMS stage. DLC BMS winner will determine next DLC BMS stage, etc.
• If there are multiple winners (All-Critical) then the user who submitted their score first will determine next week’s song.
However, if the same user wins songs A & B, they will chose either A or B, and the second place finisher will chose the other.

• Winners are encouraged to type a short write-up of why they choose that particular song. It can be something related to a memory you have of that song or the game in which the song is featured!

This Week's Challenge (1/29 - 2/5)
zlCfzS8aQI8IjOzj3w
zlCfzS8YI3E9DyGyT4

Adam Prime said:
I did not get a song recommendation from our TRUE WINNER: Wichu, so I am recommending my favorite song from VII. Hopefully we can get Wichu in another week, but I hope everyone enjoys one of the most iconic battle songs in the entire Final Fantasy series this week!

Perfect Free said:
In my opinion, the best selections from Final Fantasy XI's soundtrack have this sleepy pastoral quality that immediately draws me into the world they accompany. "The Sanctuary of Zi'Tah" is clearly no exception. I love the introductory melody, and the rest of the track is just as relaxing, taking the player on a smooth journey... hopefully not too smooth, though, since we are playing on Ultimate!

DLC Stages (only $.99 each!)
zlCfzS8YaRwJx-fdvf
zlCfzS8YNZAFvnt1A9

linko9 said:
I'll choose Ardent Rhythm from Romancing Saga Minstrel Song as the DLC BMS song. I've never played or even heard of this game before, but this is by far the most hilarious song in the game. I really want as many people as possible to experience its ridiculousness.

Roto13 said:
Part of the infinite Final Fantasy XIII hatefest was the reveal of the ridiculous Chocobo music for XIII-2. A lot of people turned up their noses at it, but to me, an insane speed metal Chocobo song was an inevitable eventuality in the series' tradition of changing up the song's genre with each game. (Mambo de Chocobo. Techno de Chocobo. Etc.) This song makes me laugh. Every time.

Roto13

I don't think the Versus XIII DLC song from the first game is available in Curtain Call. But that's no big loss. Otherwise, I think it's all in there in some form or another.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Jeeesh all the songs this week are TOUGH. I feel like I need to put up at least an SS rank... So I'll keep practicing.

Man that Chocobo metal song is ridiculous. Thanks for the recommendation. That song is so awful and awesome all at the same time.

MrDaravon

Here are my entries for the week!

W3fOKcg.jpg

y41BQRW.jpg

Out of curiosity what's the hybrid style that you use? I always use stylus for FMS and button for BMS, but there's pros and cons with how I play for going either button or stylus on BMS, so I generally go buttons just for convenience sake as well as playing in bed etc.

Swamped

Banned
Out of curiosity what's the hybrid style that you use? I always use stylus for FMS and button for BMS, but there's pros and cons with how I play for going either button or stylus on BMS, so I generally go buttons just for convenience sake as well as playing in bed etc.

Actually same here, I usually go pure stylus for FMS and pure buttons for BMS. But for Fight On, at the beginning there are sets of four triggers that come really close together and for the life of me I can't get that with buttons! So I used the stylus for that particular part, then quickly threw it away so I could continue pure button style (much more comfortable with that lol). But I guess that's still counted as hybrid.

MrDaravon

Actually same here, I usually go pure stylus for FMS and pure buttons for BMS. But for Fight On, at the beginning there are sets of four triggers that come really close together and for the life of me I can't get that with buttons! So I used the stylus for that particular part, then quickly threw it away so I could continue pure button style (much more comfortable with that lol). But I guess that's still counted as hybrid.

Ah okay. I have the opposite problem where quick button presses are easier for me on button, but quick arrows (especially in different/changing directions) are harder for me on button.

Totally unrelated question regarding Streetpassing in this game someone here may know the answer to; I rented a second copy of this game for my wife so I could essentially cheese the local battles trophy since I will never get it otherwise. I see that in Records there's also a listing for number of Streetpasses. Since we both have 3DS systems I streetpass my wife frequently; does anyone know if the game has to be in the system or anything for her to give me a streetpass that the game counts, or does it just have to be on her profile? Like, could I return the rental and still get streetpasses from her that count in-game? If that even makes sense.

bobohoro

I'm getting the feeling that the 3DS-XL is not that great to play Theathrhytm on. Or my eyes are getting worse, but heck is it blurry at times, especially in faster songs. Probably never noticed it that much before because I was used to it, but after playing some Miku on Vita it really irks me a bit. Probably will switch back to normal size for the N3DS, just seems smarter from an IQ point of view.

Fight On! is always throwing me off with that end section. :/

Celegus

I'm getting the feeling that the 3DS-XL is not that great to play Theathrhytm on. Or my eyes are getting worse, but heck is it blurry at times, especially in faster songs. Probably never noticed it that much before because I was used to it, but after playing some Miku on Vita it really irks me a bit. Probably will switch back to normal size for the N3DS, just seems smarter from an IQ point of view.

Fight On! is always throwing me off with that end section. :/

That ending is brutal. I think I'm gonna have to be happy with my 9m score.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Totally unrelated question regarding Streetpassing in this game someone here may know the answer to; I rented a second copy of this game for my wife so I could essentially cheese the local battles trophy since I will never get it otherwise. I see that in Records there's also a listing for number of Streetpasses. Since we both have 3DS systems I streetpass my wife frequently; does anyone know if the game has to be in the system or anything for her to give me a streetpass that the game counts, or does it just have to be on her profile? Like, could I return the rental and still get streetpasses from her that count in-game? If that even makes sense.

Once you create streetpass data for a game, it lives on the system until you de-register it. You don't need the game in there ever again.

Well, that's not entirely true. Once you max out the number of Theatrhythm tags your wife's system can hold at a time, you probably won't be able to tag her again until she boots the game to clear them out of the 3DS storage, and make them a part of the save file proper.

That said, you MAY be able to share a card between both systems, with each of you using one of the save files, and each file having streetpass data that's associated with a different system. Assuming you own the card, that is, not the download version.

MrDaravon

Once you create streetpass data for a game, it lives on the system until you de-register it. You don't need the game in there ever again.

Well, that's not entirely true. Once you max out the number of Theatrhythm tags your wife's system can hold at a time, you probably won't be able to tag her again until she boots the game to clear them out of the 3DS storage, and make them a part of the save file proper.

That said, you MAY be able to share a card between both systems, with each of you using one of the save files, and each file having streetpass data that's associated with a different system. Assuming you own the card, that is, not the download version.

Hmm, I do own a cart copy. We don't need this Gamefly slot freed up for the forseeable future, so I guess I'll see where I'm at with the number of streetpasses I'm at if I need to return it. I do have the 2nd save slot unlocked, so if the cart will work on both systems for streetpassing purposes that's always a possibility.

Do you happen to know if for in-game Records purposes on the Streetpasses stat if it counts streetpasses multiple times if it's the same person? This is all a moot point if that doesn't work.

Roto13

When you start the game for the first time, it says it won't work on a different 3DS with a different SD card. I don't know what happens if you try.

MrDaravon

I'll post if it works if it's the same person. Anyone know how often you can streetpass with the same person? I have no idea, where I live I never ever streetpass with anyone other than my wife usually, but I don't check it that often usually so I'm not sure how frequent it is.

I'll post if it works if it's the same person. Anyone know how often you can streetpass with the same person? I have no idea, where I live I never ever streetpass with anyone other than my wife usually, but I don't check it that often usually so I'm not sure how frequent it is.
8 hours after you last past them.

Some games don't allow multiple passes from the same person in the queue, no idea if curtain call is one of those. You also might want to delete the profilcard from your collection after passing so the next pass counts a new profilcard.

MrDaravon

This is probably a really stupid question, but how are people getting screenshots of the characters pre-song like above? There's no in-game camera option at that point, and the 3DS itself will only let me take screenshots of the bottom screen if it's in the Home/Suspend menu. Taking pics for this contest is the first time I've ever used the screenshot or camera function at all on the system, so assuming I'm just missing something.

Celegus

This is probably a really stupid question, but how are people getting screenshots of the characters pre-song like above? There's no in-game camera option at that point, and the 3DS itself will only let me take screenshots of the bottom screen if it's in the Home/Suspend menu. Taking pics for this contest is the first time I've ever used the screenshot or camera function at all on the system, so assuming I'm just missing something.

Miiverse, I assume. Just hit the home button at any time, go to Miiverse, and upload either of the current screens.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Press the Home menu and go to MIIVERSE. There you can upload a screenshot of your top or bottom screen. Log in to miiverse.net on your PC, find your post and copy image location.

Aiustis

Anyone want to battle? I'm looking for practice. Not right now but I'm trying to find people who are up for battling regularly.

Edit: also does anyone else play one handed?

I got destroyed in an online battle (ultimate score, EX bursts on) by someone playing one-handed. They nearly all-criticalled the thing.

I don't even know how it's possible.

Kirlia

Banned
Next DLC

BMS Final Fantasy IX — “Vamo’ alla Flamenco”
BMS Sword of Mana 2 / Seiken Densetsu 3 — “Swivel”
BMS SaGa Frontier 2 — “Miβgestalt”
BMS Chrono Trigger — “Frog’s Theme”

FMS Legend of Mana — “Ruined Sparkling City”
FMS NieR Gestalt/RepliCant — “Kainé/Salvation”

FUCK YES MIβGESTALT. And Nier, too? Definitely getting those tracks (seriously, guys, at least get the Nier track so that SE is encouraged to put some Nier BMS in) and all the rest
except Vamo’ alla Flamenco because I'm not fond of most of FFIX's soundtrack.

Kirlia

Banned
NIER YESSS

Song of the Ancients (Fate) next plz

Also Chrono Cross when?

Hopefully the batch after this one. Seriously, though, everyone at least buy the Nier track when it comes out so that SE is more likely to put in more from Nier (honest to God, any of the battle themes and I would be happy).

daydream

Banned
FUCK YES MIβGESTALT. And Nier, too? Definitely getting those tracks (seriously, guys, at least get the Nier track so that SE is encouraged to put some Nier BMS in) and all the rest
except Vamo’ alla Flamenco because I'm not fond of most of FFIX's soundtrack.

Please show me one good Nier track. The ones I've listened to were all very unremarkable.

Also, FF9 = best FF soundtrack, we all know it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I am feelin a little bit like this DLC is all a prep for a fully fledged Theatrhythm Square-Enix. Which I would buy so hard my dick would fall off. But man I'm gonna feel like a sucker having paid for half the songlist as DLC.

Celegus

Please show me one good Nier track. The ones I've listened to were all very unremarkable.

Also, FF9 = best FF soundtrack, we all know it.

U WOT M8

Just put it on random and there ya go. Need another great song? Listen to the next one.

I think VI and VIII are my favorites for FF, but really I love them all. IX is top tier though.

I am feelin a little bit like this DLC is all a prep for a fully fledged Theatrhythm Square-Enix. Which I would buy so hard my dick would fall off. But man I'm gonna feel like a sucker having paid for half the songlist as DLC.

Truer words have never been spoken. Amen!

daydream

Banned
Yes, the entire Nier soundtrack is great. I'm really disappointed that you aren't fond of what you've heard. Besides FF9, what are some of your favorite video game OSTs?

I was just interested in some standout tracks since all I've heard so far seems very run-of-the-mill.

Uh, I dunno, any personal selection would be inconclusive. I will say, however, that orchestral/choral compositions don't have an inherent value just by means of being loud and pompous despite what people who fall easily for things on a 'grand scale' might think (not referring to anyone specific or even NieR, necessarily, but there you go).

U WOT M8

Just put it on random and there ya go. Need another great song? Listen to the next one.

I think VI and VIII are my favorites for FF, but really I love them all. IX is top tier though.

I have it running in the background. It's certainly not bad so far, well done even, but not particularly memorable. I have not listened to all the tracks, yet, that's why I was asking for a selection.

Celegus

I was just interested in some standout tracks since all I've heard so far seems very run-of-the-mill.

Uh, I dunno, any personal selection would be inconclusive. I will say, however, that orchestral/choral compositions don't have an inherent value just by means of being loud and pompous despite what people who fall easily for things on a 'grand scale' might think (not referring to anyone specific or even NieR, necessarily, but there you go).

NieR isn't like that at all though... a lot of "epic" orchestrations sound very samey and boring to me (see: Jeremy Soule). NieR is incredibly haunting and melodic, I would never even think to call it bombastic or pompous. I listened to the soundtrack so many times before I even played the game, so I certainly feel it stands on its own outside of memories tied to the game. Made for a perfect backdrop while I was reading Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear at the time.
I have it running in the background. It's certainly not bad so far, well done even, but not particularly memorable. I have not listened to all the tracks, yet, that's why I was asking for a selection.

I've really only listened to it as a whole, can't say I have any particular favorites or really know the names of the tracks very well.

Kirlia

Banned

It's probably near-blind nostalgia, but I really love VII's soundtrack. Maybe that's why I'm not terribly fond of FFIX's music; compared to FFVII and VIII, it just doesn't feel as consistently excellent.

Still, its highs...great stuff.

Ah, I apologize for blasting you with the whole thing! I didn't mean to be like "YOU HEATHEN, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED--GO TO THE CORNER AND LISTEN TO THE WHOLE THING"...I actually think the entire soundtrack is that good. Also, there's some good low-key stuff if you're turned off by the more "DUN DUN DUN" stuff.

daydream

Banned
Ah, I apologize for blasting you with the whole thing! I didn't mean to be like "YOU HEATHEN, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED--GO TO THE CORNER AND LISTEN TO THE WHOLE THING"...I actually think the entire soundtrack is that good. Also, there's some good low-key stuff if you're turned off by the more "DUN DUN DUN" stuff.

No worries, hah. I'm not against the DUN DUN DUN stuff, at all, I just think it's a base line and not something that inherently sways me in favour of a soundtrack. With 500-600 years of very stimulating and technically complex work at our disposal, it's not like we are starving for that kind of sound.

Roto13

Oh snaps, Nier. I want more of that please.

And Frog's Theme is the one Chrono Trigger song I'm not sick to fucking death of hearing all the time.

bobohoro

People dissing NieR OST because it's loud and pompous? Uh, fine, I guess.

I mean, that thing is the full package, from the hauntingingly melancholic stuff (Emil Sacrifice) to the smoothing tunes (Song of the Ancients Devola) and even the rare but faster songs are engaging (second half of Shadowlord). I love pretty much every track on the OST, something I can't even say for stuff like FF VII/VIII, Shadow Hearts or Xenoblade Chronicles.

If you can't hear the beauty of Grandma than only 8-bit Heores will save you.

Top Bottom