• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheVerge: There will still be 30fps PS5 Pro Enhanced games

Draugoth

Gold Member

Sources familiar with Sony’s plans tell The Verge that Sony is asking developers to create a new PS5 Pro-exclusive graphics mode in games that combines Sony’s new PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution (PSSR) upscaling to 4K resolution with a 60fps frame rate and ray-tracing effects. Insider Gaming first reported on some of these Enhanced PS5 Pro game details last month.

While Sony wants this new mode in games, the PS5 Pro “Enhanced” label will still be available for a variety of other scenarios that include 30fps games. Developers have the option of increasing the target resolution for PS5 Pro games that run at a fixed resolution on PS5 or even increasing the target maximum resolution for games that run at a variable resolution on PS5.

That could mean we see PS5 Pro Enhanced games that run at between 1080p and 1440p resolution at 30fps on the base PS5 and run between 1280p and 2160p on the PS5 Pro at the same frame rate. A fixed resolution increase from 1440p to 2160p would also qualify as a PS5 Pro Enhanced game. Developers could also choose to enable ray-tracing effects and get the PS5 Pro Enhanced label without improving resolution or frame rates. If a developer wants to target 60fps instead of 30fps with the same resolution, this may also qualify as a PS5 Pro Enhanced game.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Then what's the point?
Dairy Farm Milk GIF by Rex Orange County

I will say it for the 10 millionth time. Sixty and thirty fps are choices. They are choices that come with trade-offs. A game running at 30fps will always, always, always be able to present better graphics than one running at 60fps. It's objective reality.

Its still the choice of the devs

I agree with both of the above statements.

However, I, as a consumer of these non-essential entertainment products, also have a choice. And I choose to not purchase games that are locked to 30fps anymore.

The devs want to pass on 60fps modes? Fine. But I can pass on their products as a result. Caveat emptor.

I will say it for the 10 millionth time. Sixty and thirty fps are choices. They are choices that come with trade-offs. A game running at 30fps will always, always, always be able to present better graphics than one running at 60fps. It's objective reality.
But from what i'm getting from this tweet is there is no guarantee that so games will have options or choices... i would not be so happy to pay that much and still play some games at 30fps only.

diffusionx

Gold Member
But from what i'm getting from this tweet is there is no guarantee that so games will have options or choices... i would not be so happy to pay that much and still play some games at 30fps only.
How many 30fps only games are there on PS5? I don't think there are many. And the whole point of the PS5 Pro is to move "fidelity" type features into the 60fps modes.

I would prefer there not to be modes entirely. I think it's stupid. But if that was the case it's much more likely the default is 60fps than 30fps.

Last edited:

scydrex

Of course. Sony or Cerny talked about modes and for the Pro too. Of course it will have 30fps mode with RT and etc. What´s the point of this article? Dosen´t the PS5 have 60fps mode? They are some games running at 30fps only but they are with performance mode. Of course the Pro will have a performance mode too.

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned
You dont say? 30 fps will never go away on consoles. ps6 will have 30 fps games and ps 7 too. but snug in that sweet 40 fps mode for modern tvs please. its 50% better than 30 fps but only costs 33% more performance.

Mownoc

Obviously. Any game that is CPU limited isn't going to suddenly get double the performance. Just like the PS4 Pro didn't magic that to happen in many titles.

Basically we’re gonna see if it’s 30 on PS5 it’s gonna be 30 on PS5Pro. There will be be an uncapped rate probably from here on out for everything most likely which the pro will probably be able to take a better advantage of.

Last edited:
Obviously. Any game that is CPU limited isn't going to suddenly get double the performance. Just like the PS4 Pro didn't magic that to happen in many titles.

I was kind of expecting there to be some sort of Frame Gen as part of PSSR.

Last edited:

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
You dont say? 30 fps will never go away on consoles. ps6 will have 30 fps games and ps 7 too. but snug in that sweet 40 fps mode for modern tvs please. its 50% better than 30 fps but only costs 33% more performance.
modern tvs can run at up to 144hz. 40fps is terrible and so is 60fps.

Of course. Sony or Cerny talked about modes and for the Pro too. Of course it will have 30fps mode with RT and etc. What´s the point of this article?

Xbox websites keep writing bad articles about the PS5 Pro because they are salty their brand is irrelevant

They are trying their best to make it fail

As simple as that...

They should write about that 2 TB Xbox Series X sold for $600 with the same specs from 2020

LOL

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I reported earlier (and was demoted to junior status) and accurately that there would be a campaign against the PS5 Pro by the media and by many gamers.

Of course, there will still be 30 fps. There's no way Sony can force a developer to select 60 fps and they can still make use of the PS5 Pro in other ways.

The question is how many developers are going to do that? I guess you could see some look to make a super fidelity mode but Cerny already said 75% of gamers play in performance mode. The data is pretty clear on that and whether there is value in pushing modes that are 30 fps.

Then there may be games that are CPU locked to 30 and the PS5 Pro won't resolve that, but again few and far between.

Tom Warren wants PS5 Pro to fail because of what it means for Microsoft in the gaming market, but nothing anyone writes is going to make a real impact once the games start coming out.

samstrajack

Neo Member
As long as games are sold with screenshots, developers will always want to push things as far as possible, and that means 30fps.

It's less noticeable, and less egregious in some games. Like lets say Civ 7 runs at 30fps even on PS5 Pro, who cares?

Kuranghi

This is what I want (as well as the much improved 60fps modes ofc), closer to native 4K with all the RT and bells and whistles but capped to 30fps.

If they took away 30fps modes and there was only a 60fps mode with slightly better image quality but now locked to 60fps instead of having drops I'd be pissed. I want the choice, not be forced to have lower IQ at 60fps.

I can see myself still choosing the 30fps modes for PS5 exclusive games in light of this news.

scydrex

Using Zen2 in 2025 and expecting different results is not an intelligent approach. The GPU upgrade will take you only so far…
How would be the state of PC gaming today without DLSS, FSR and XESS or the Intel version? DLSS helps with FPS or no? When the game is CPU limited the DLSS does nothing to improve the FPS?

Last edited:

Embearded

Came here for this.

Devs decide how they will spend the oower of every machine. The article title is pure clickbait.

Top Bottom