• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheVerge: There will still be 30fps PS5 Pro Enhanced games

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm not sure. Ain't that for re-scaling? All that's useful for is rendering at a low resolution and turning that image into 4K. Doesn't sound to me like it will do much to help CPU performance, but I'm not an expert.
Depends on the games. Some games see a VERY large improvement to framerate when using scalers, while others (more CPU heavy) will see much less.

King Dazzar

As long as there options, and they don't try and give you one crappy pro mode.
Pure speculation. But I'd have thought you'll get a mix. I don't see why some games wouldnt just go the easy route with what you have today in terms of fidelity/performance, but with frame rate unlocked options. But also, some games will just know its being played on a Pro and the fidelity and performance modes will simply use a different preset config.

the point is that developers have a choice in how to use the power
For sure, nobody forces them to make games that run at 60fps, i would be disappointed to pay that much to only get some better resolution. Also to make your game in 2024 with only 30fps mode is not modern? i mean not only it runs like crap, especially on OLED, what about future proofing your game when better hardware released?

Robb

Gold Member
Sure. I’ll even make the bold prediction that Ps6 will be stronger than Ps5 Pro and will also have 30fps games.
crystal ball love GIF by HERSHEY’S Cookies ’n’ Creme

Z O N E

Wasn't the whole premise of PS5 Pro to combine Fidelity AND Performance modes?

So now we can expect:

PS5:
- Performance Mode
- Fidelity Mode

PS5 Pro:
- Performance Mode
- Fidelity Mode

So, not only do they have more work to do, but the already unoptimised games will be even more unoptimised because now they'll have to create 4 different versions on just 1 console.

Then you have to also include:

XSX:
- Performance Mode
- Fidelity Mode

XSS:
- Whatever Mode

BUT WAIT... then you also have some developers still releasing games for the PS4 and Xbox One...

So include those versions in the list too and you have what?

9 different versions of the game running.

Yeah, games are going to release in an even worse state AND take even longer. 😂

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Wasn't this always obvious?
They didn't upgrade the CPU

Can someone explain this "Hogwarts at 30" thing to me?
I've seen a bunch of people mention it....but Hogwarts runs at 60 even on the base Ps5
In the presentation it looked like they were showing the pro-enhanced version of Hogwarts running at 30 FPS (base PS5 has both 30 and 60 FPS modes)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

Skifi28

I've seen a bunch of people mention it....but Hogwarts runs at 60 even on the base Ps5

The RT mode seems to still be 30 even on the pro based on the footage they released. Which makes sense considering the game is really CPU intensive with RT even on PC.

xrnzaaas

People need to see how the recommended PC settings for playing above 1080p/60fps look like these days. A 4060-70 card combined with strong CPU often isn't enough.

Sure there will be a performance increase, but it's not going to be a 4K/60fps monster.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Wasn't the whole premise of PS5 Pro to combine Fidelity AND Performance modes?

So now we can expect:

PS5:
- Performance Mode
- Fidelity Mode

PS5 Pro:
- Performance Mode
- Fidelity Mode

So, not only do they have more work to do, but the already unoptimised games will be even more unoptimised because now they'll have to create 4 different versions on just 1 console.

Then you have to also include:

XSX:
- Performance Mode
- Fidelity Mode

XSS:
- Whatever Mode

BUT WAIT... then you also have some developers still releasing games for the PS4 and Xbox One...

So include those versions in the list too and you have what?

9 different versions of the game running.

Yeah, games are going to release in an even worse state AND take even longer. 😂
Six hundred and ninety nine US dollars

Can you name me 5 games this entire generation that bog down a Zen2 CPU?
Starfield, Dragon's Dogma 2, Warhammer: SM2, Baldurs Gate 3, Flight Simulator 2020 and obviously 2024 will be too. Yes, i know some have 60 FPS modes, but all of them struggle hard in certain parts already.

Monster Hunter's demo only had 30 FPS mode, considering it's a CPU heavy game i wouldn't expect 60 FPS.

Kingdom's Come Deliverance is already announced as a 30 FPS only videogame on consoles.

Cities Skylines 2 was announced as 30 FPS only on consoles before getting delayed again.

Cyberpunk's performance mode struggles with 60 FPS when there's some action in the city, also it becomes a desert/dead city density wise, and this is a 2020's game.

As you can see, it's not the entire's generation, almost every game is from the last year or announced for the next months, which is when the crossgen videogames era ended. If this happens in the first fully next-gen year, and we have at least 3 more to go, and then another 2-3 from the next gen games (crossgen with this one), i let you guess what's going to happen.

Last edited:

Parazels

And? He is talking about 2 or 3 infamous bad optimized games.

It's zero in comparison to the hundreds
(if not thousands!) of 60 fps games! 😍

Last edited:
If anyone thought that a pro machine with only a GPU upgrade and no substantial boost to the CPU would guarantee 60fps in all games then I don't know what to tell you.

Zen 2 is ancient at this point by hardware standards.

StereoVsn

While it’s obviously a developer’s choice to go for 30 FPS (a bad choice not to have higher frame rate option), the one problem is that Sony’s new shiny PS5 Pro still has they shit Ryzen 2 CPU (cutdown even). And the cost is almost double release OG PS5 model pricing.

That CPU will ensure some games won’t hit the 60fps mark if they are CPU heavy.

Mr Moose

Wasn't this always obvious?
They didn't upgrade the CPU

The current RT mode I believe is 30fps. Who knows what it will be when it's updated/Pro launch.

Fbh

Gold Member
In the presentation it looked like they were showing the pro-enhanced version of Hogwarts running at 30 FPS (base PS5 has both 30 and 60 FPS modes)
The RT mode seems to still be 30 even on the pro based on the footage they released. Which makes sense considering the game is really CPU intensive with RT even on PC.
The current RT mode I believe is 30fps. Who knows what it will be when it's updated/Pro launch.

Oh I see.
That seems a bit silly though. The game still has a 60fps mode and that one might still get enhanced with better image quality and the higher foliage density of the "fidelity" mode on base Ps5.
I know $700 is more than some people expected, but that's still way below the price point of something that's going to be able to run every single game at max settings 4K and with full ray tracing at locked 60fps.

Bartski

Gold Member
That could mean we see PS5 Pro Enhanced games that run at between 1080p and 1440p resolution at 30fps on the base PS5 and run between 1280p and 2160p on the PS5 Pro at the same frame rate. A fixed resolution increase from 1440p to 2160p would also qualify as a PS5 Pro Enhanced game. Developers could also choose to enable ray-tracing effects and get the PS5 Pro Enhanced label without improving resolution or frame rates. If a developer wants to target 60fps instead of 30fps with the same resolution, this may also qualify as a PS5 Pro Enhanced game.

h6RXuV4.jpeg

Fess

I reported earlier (and was demoted to junior status) and accurately that there would be a campaign against the PS5 Pro by the media and by many gamers.
People are just disappointed it’s not some campaign, this happens every time when high expectations aren’t met, if Nintendo don’t deliver people will focus on the negatives too, same thing if Xbox Next don’t meet the expectations, or 5090, or anything.

Quantum253

Gold Member
I'm not sure why anyone would think all titles w/ enhancements would be 60fps.
Maybe a dev would want 4K with high detail models and higher ray tracing at 30fps.
I would think WuKong would make the Pro close to the PC release

Bitstream

It's really up to the devs to determine how they want to leverage the power, but take this into consideration. Even for games that are currently 'cpu limited' in current scenarios, dropping the resolution and using PSSR would effectively produce a similar image while freeing up CPU resources. Even though the CPU isn't a massive upgrade, rewriting the code more intelligently will allow for more computational capabilities.

Karak

Sources familiar with Sony’s plans tell The Verge that Sony is asking developers to create a new PS5 Pro-exclusive graphics mode in games that combines Sony’s new PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution (PSSR) upscaling to 4K resolution with a 60fps frame rate and ray-tracing effects. Insider Gaming first reported on some of these Enhanced PS5 Pro game details last month.

While Sony wants this new mode in games, the PS5 Pro “Enhanced” label will still be available for a variety of other scenarios that include 30fps games. Developers have the option of increasing the target resolution for PS5 Pro games that run at a fixed resolution on PS5 or even increasing the target maximum resolution for games that run at a variable resolution on PS5.

That could mean we see PS5 Pro Enhanced games that run at between 1080p and 1440p resolution at 30fps on the base PS5 and run between 1280p and 2160p on the PS5 Pro at the same frame rate. A fixed resolution increase from 1440p to 2160p would also qualify as a PS5 Pro Enhanced game. Developers could also choose to enable ray-tracing effects and get the PS5 Pro Enhanced label without improving resolution or frame rates. If a developer wants to target 60fps instead of 30fps with the same resolution, this may also qualify as a PS5 Pro Enhanced game.

This is for sure true. Even pinging just a handful of devs most of them stated that they had plans for improvements but that 30fps removal wasn't one of them.
FYI since devs flatly choose this, it makes sense, as a dev could make a 4090 run at 1fps if they wanted to. And depending on the dev and their style it's not at all up to the hardware maker.

sainraja

This is the same company that effectively banned 2D games from their platform for the first three years it existed. They can approve to deny whatever they want. They control what gets published 100%.
Surely, yes, they do control that and if they wanted to, they could have again. With the PS5 Pro, they are not making a policy like that, so if anything, that shows, the company has moved on from that type of thing. I am not sure of any other policy they have like that and if they do, this seems to be the exception. Anyway, I did acknowledge that, outside of implementing a hardline policy like that, they can't do anything else but softly encourage it.

Last edited:

RaySoft

I'm pretty sure all new games going forward will be targeting 60fps on the Pro. Unpatched older games that don't implement PSSR will ofc not.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
People are just disappointed it’s not some campaign, this happens every time when high expectations aren’t met, if Nintendo don’t deliver people will focus on the negatives too, same thing if Xbox Next don’t meet the expectations, or 5090, or anything.

People were never going to be happy and there are people weighing in who were never going to buy a PlayStation. That's just reality. And that makes it a campaign. How would you define a campaign exactly?

Look at the Road to PS5 video on youtube and the dislikes on it. It's the reality of the new media.

The XSX got a 600 dollar console that has 2TB of storage. People were disappointed by it, but there was no campaign in response. People just decided, "I'm not buying that" and moved on.

People are begging people to not buy this on twitter. I've never seen that before.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This wimp should be more worried for Xbox current console running all future games at 30, where the Pro has every other game at 60, which is already right now on the PS5.

howitis3

amd is bad at ray tracing. the ps5 pro is using a zen 2 cpu stilll.... a mid range amd gpu combined with zen 2 isnt cranking out 4k ray tracing at 60fps. something has to give

Minsc

Gold Member
Is there really no footage of PS5 vs PS5 Pro they are offering for us where you can see what the difference is? Or did I miss it.

Like is there not a 2160p@60fps or 120fps video to download demonstrating the PS5 Pro improvements on these 40 or so games?

Last edited:
Top Bottom