• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is a big downgrade - Silent Hill 2 Remake

Astray

Honestly, it's not about being fuckable. I don't want *every* female character to bounce her tits and flaunt her ass like she's a character from a Korean gacha game (though those are nice).

My problem is that female faces in western games are starting to have so exaggerated facial expressions that literally piss me off. Also their facial features are more and more androgynous. And what annoys me the most is that devs do this ON PURPOSE. It doesn't matter whether they do this because they're scared so much of the next kotaku hitpiece or whether the devs themselves feel that female breasts, make up or buttocks must never be shown on screen ever again, the result is the same.

Female beauty is censored, and that is flat out retarded.
I mean the devs' motives are theirs, we cannot put them in a single box just like they don't get to put us consumers into one.

Polish devs generally don't give a fuck about Kotaku, they were probably after a more naturalistic look, plus you have to consider alterations might need to be made for mocap animations too.

I just don't understand this fixation with comparing remakes to old og games so obsessively, so what if some female character had her boobs shrunk or her jawline tweaked? It doesn't say anything about anything to me.

It feels to me like devs, consumers, commentators etc in this hobby are all trying super hard to get themselves angry for no good reason.

Moses85

I don't know how anyone can defend this

the office jim GIF

Season 2 Shrug GIF by The Office

What is woke here? What the fuck is wrong with you all.
Seriously, I am usually first in line yelling woke! but this ain't it. In fact I don't see the problem. It looks fine, character looks fine. A bunch of people trying to spin contreverary or never happy. This is not dead space bathrooms, race swaps, character neutering... that game had woke elements in the remake and people here were dismissing the concerns because "wiz bang graphics"... but here a strand of hair is off and its "fuck bloober, blah blah blah...."

I hope you idiots realize that if this doesn't sell we won't be getting any more silent hill and if we do it will be more in line with that "short message" which straight up was woke garbage. This is not, its a remake of a classic. The classic is still there, both can exist side by side.

Nickolaidas

so what if some female character had her boobs shrunk or her jawline tweaked? It doesn't say anything about anything to me.

It feels to me like devs, consumers, commentators etc in this hobby are all trying super hard to get themselves angry for no good reason.
Riddle me this, Batman.

If every single AAA western game uglifies their female characters ONLY, does that sound like an artistic choice?

Or is it censorship?

StueyDuck

I swear to god every game has some sort of bitching around it.. Woke this and chud that.

Very annoying for anyone who wants actual discussions.
Well what's your big brain discussion on this topic then

(Even though the entire theme and plot behind silent Hill 2 is sexuality, infidelity, adultery)

shamoomoo

Did they?
The original had an eeriness that matched the visuals and the game's setting.
The voice acting in this remake sounds like two people in a studio, warm and comfortable, with a coffee mug on their hands.
Isn't that an opinion? The low res nature of the PS2 maybe helping to contribute to the weird vibe of SH2, contrasted by the high resolution and better fidelity of everything else in the remake.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Man...what is this? The camera angles are awful, Maria is so stiff in her movements and her behavior doesn't resemble her personality. And why does her voice actor sound so bored? And why is her head so big? The original Maria had wider shoulders and normal proportions, why do developers insist to make women like this in modern games?

Goddammit, I knew hiring Bloober Team to do this was a mistake

She should have slapped James in the face, grabbed him and shaken him and yelled at him...

Similar to this

3:33

Last edited:
We all knew Bloober Team could never make a good game. The moment they were revealed as the developer to the remake, it was set in stone that this game would be a failure. Better leave SH to die than Konami keep running it into the ground.

Astray

Riddle me this, Batman.

If every single AAA western game uglifies their female characters ONLY, does that sound like an artistic choice?

Or is it censorship?
A studio boss telling a character artist to change something in the design isn't censorship, they're being paid for their work whether it's accepted as is or rejected, they're not doing this to further some free speech issue.

Very strange to take every single design or re-design you don't like as an attack on the 1st amendment. Most of the AAA designs that people call ugly are ok. It's very rare to get a game that's actively ugly to the eye (like Concord).

Well what's your big brain discussion on this topic then

(Even though the entire theme and plot behind silent Hill 2 is sexuality, infidelity, adultery)
My big brain discussion on this topic is that people have gotten far too into culture war bullshit and let a lot of really good games get under their radar as a result, either because they're too internet-addled to see what's good about them, or because the culture warring around other games had them too busy to notice them in the first place.

Also, do you really think that "ugly" people don't have affairs, sexuality or commit adultery? If so then I have news for you..

Bloober was always the wrong team for this project.
This was known from day one.

There was only ever one Team Silent - and they are long gone.
They captured that lightning in a bottle - once in a generation - creative vision that we havent and wont see again in gaming.
The Silent Hill series should have been retired from that point on.

For me, I just enjoy and revisit the original 3 games on PS2 (and sometimes The Room as well), when I get the urge - and ignore the rest.
I refuse to ruin my memories of the originals by playing these remakes and piss poor HD collections.
While that is true for the original games. I also really liked Shattered Memories,Homecoming and loved Downpour. People panned the game, but to me it got all the atmosphere as right as could be. I just wish it sold more, as then we would of gotten more original Silent Hill games.

What we got was that not silent hill vita game...barf...and then nothing.
I'll take more downpour like sh games over nothing.

Arachnid

Man...what is this? The camera angles are awful, Maria is so stiff in her movements and her behavior doesn't resemble her personality. And why does her voice actor sound so bored? And why is her head so big? The original Maria had wider shoulders and normal proportions, why do developers insist to make women like this in modern games?

Goddammit, I knew hiring Bloober Team to do this was a mistake

???

Women are hotter with narrow shoulders. Why should Maria be built like a linebacker

Gonzito

People just wanna make sure this flops at this point no matter how much clear improvements the game is showing since its first showcase.
My man I am a big Silent Hill fan and I dont want it to fail. But I would be an hypocrite if I wouldn't express my feelings towards the material I am seeing. I personally have expressed praise to every new trailer because they clearly have done many things right. In particular I really like what they did with Maria in the prison cell conversation in the story trailer, I feel like it's well done and I got super hyped for the game. But then I see this and its a huge bummer compared to what the original intended. Maria in the original was much more expressive and felt more alive

I dont understand why some people are so reluctant to see that this is not doing justice to the original material

Last edited:

StueyDuck

My big brain discussion on this topic is that people have gotten far too into culture war bullshit and let a lot of really good games get under their radar as a result, either because they're too internet-addled to see what's good about them, or because the culture warring around other games had them too busy to notice them in the first place.

Also, do you really think that "ugly" people don't have affairs, sexuality or commit adultery? If so then I have news for you..

Ok

But what's your big brain discussion, you told off the chuds and said you are upset there isn't discussion. So what's your big brain discussion?

Provide us this meaty topic that you wish to rather have?

Last edited:

GrayChild

The actress who plays Maria:

37VG20x.jpeg

QRIGyVn.jpeg

Look, I hate everything "woke" as much as everyone else. Not to mention I'm still kinda skeptical about the remake itself. But in this case, it's literally how the actress they chose for the role looks. If anything, Silent Hill 2 is one of the very few AAA games where the devs didn't go out of their way to uglify the person playing the role.

Last edited:

Gonzito

The actress that plays Maria:

37VG20x.jpeg

QRIGyVn.jpeg

Look, I hate everything "woke" as much as everyone else. Not to mention I'm still kinda skeptical about the remake itself. But in this case, it's literally how the actress they chose for the role looks. If anything, Silent Hill 2 is one of the very few AAA games where the devs didn't go out of their way to uglify the person playing the role.

Well that last statement might not be fully accurate. Let's remember how Angela looked in one of the first few trailers, I am on my phone now so I cant post images so easily but they really went their way to make her look really weird. Lucky enough they have actually improved her character model, you can see this in the latest trailers and leaked material, hell they even removed that unflattering camera angle when she said I am not lying.

shamoomoo

Classic gaslighting. and we are very tired of activists in this industry ruining videogames
That's true, but it's original usage by Black people only meant to socially/politically aware if you come from an oppresed group. White people corrupted the word that I'm not entirely sure what "woke" means.

Gonzito

That's true, but it's original usage by Black people only meant to socially/politically aware if you come from an oppresed group. White people corrupted the word that I'm not entirely sure what "woke" means.
Woke means imposing radical ideologies in media in order to send a message to the audiences and manipulate them into believing their narrative. In the end, wokism is just censorship and supremacy. You have to do and think what they think is right, otherwise you will be cancelled and burried.

GreenAlien

Looks fine to me, seems to do some stuff better, some worse, but overall it's an upgrade, if less artistic.

That SBI is involved is concerning, but at least the Bloober devs themselves do not appear to be overtly woke so they hopefully ignored most of the "advice".

Last edited:

Astray

Ok

But what's your big brain discussion, you told off the chuds and said you are upset there isn't discussion. So what's your big brain discussion?

Provide us this meaty topic that you wish to rather have?
Anything else of actual substance about the game, just imagine this is a game that you never saw a youtuber rage about..

Do you like the gunplay? Is the music good? How's the writing? etc etc etc.

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
What's with the new upbeat music in the first video? jeez.

Also, the "bad" voice acting in the original, intended or not, only further enhanced the dreamlike atmosphere of the original. This new dialogue might be more "real", but also makes it more generic and borderline cringey.

Maybe the game might have been good as its own Silent Hill entry, but as a remake this looks like a flop.
people would make fun of it even more if they gave it “bad dreamy” voice acting and people would rip on it for trying to do that like the original but making it worse, but it appears they made it more main stream and not art house

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
The only comparison i want to see is the basement scene with the fat boy.
Does the belching sound as disgusting as in the original ?

shamoomoo

Woke means imposing radical ideologies in media in order to send a message to the audiences and manipulate them into believing their narrative. In the end, wokism is just censorship and supremacy. You have to do and think what they think is right, otherwise you will be cancelled and burried.
No.

Here's a snippet.

However, the term was originally coined by progressive Black Americans and used in racial justice movements in the early to mid-1900s. To be "woke" politically in the Black community means that someone is informed, educated and conscious of social injustice and racial inequality, Merriam-Webster Dictionary states.

A historical recording of the protest song "Scottsboro Boys" by Lead Belly in the 1930s -- as captured by Smithsonian Folkways, the non-profit record label of the National Museum -- is often cited as one of the earliest uses of the term. The Scottsboro Boys were nine Black teenagers falsely accused of raping two white women aboard a Southern Railroad freight train in northern Alabama in 1931 in a case that lasted decades, according to the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

In the recording of the Lead Belly song several years after the incident, "stay woke" urged Black Americans to be aware of the potential for racist violence in the South.

Last edited:

Astray

Watching the footage from previews in past months, it looks fine really, especially Maria. I don't know wtf are peoples smoking. It looks good.
The game looked kinda bad in the earlier trailers, but this is looking more polished lately tbh.

Konami seems like its really trying to get back into game publishing, and it might be contrarian, but I hope they are successful at it, they hold so many cool IPs that I don't want to see die.

Just like with many other remakes, Silent Hill 2 remake does some things better than the original but some things they are either more or less same or worse.
Nothing to do with the 'woke' some folks frequently use but more to do with Bloober Team's not so good previous game development experiences. I wish Konami chose a different developer than Bloober Team but here we are.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

The actress that plays Maria:

37VG20x.jpeg

QRIGyVn.jpeg

Yup, looks like her. But you're still gonna see people say nonsense like "they doctored angles to make her look worse" or something. It's ridiculous. It looks like her, lmao.

Art Direction is everything, the 2001 cutscenes are 23 years older and look better than what we got here because Bloober clearly doesnt have the best directors

Much like others have pointed out, you can no longer just blame Bloober for this. You have to blame the new (old) SH team involved at Konami. I know Bloober was catching bullets for awhile, but Konami vetted everything.

Last edited:
At first, I was like, alright, OP might be making a big scene out of this thread...

But that 2nd video where she's saying "Anyway! What do you mean anyway!?" sold me on it. The remake lacks... what the original had...
Pizzaz
a certain je ne sais pas quoi
"it"
a bit of you-know-what

soul

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Art Direction is everything, the 2001 cutscenes are 23 years older and look better than what we got here because Bloober clearly doesnt have the best directors
For a news guy, you sure are slacking? Trying to push an agenda?

We learned at this year's TGS, that Konami and Ito had more control over the project than Bloober. That Bloober wanted to remain a faithful copy to the original, and Konami/Ito stepped in and made changes. Nobody wants to ever blame the sacred Japanese designers, eh? Even though they admitted on stage at TGS to controlling the project and all of it's changes from designs to music to camera angles and boss fights/controls.

If people have their panties in a twist, the blame falls on Konami and the OG designers like Ito.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
For a news guy, you sure are slacking? Trying to push an agenda?

We learned at this year's TGS, that Konami and Ito had more control over the project than Bloober. That Bloober wanted to remain a faithful copy to the original, and Konami/Ito stepped in and made changes. Nobody wants to ever blame the sacred Japanese designers, eh? Even though they admitted on stage at TGS to controlling the project and all of it's changes from designs to music to camera angles and boss fights/controls.

If people have their panties in a twist, the blame falls on Konami and the OG designers like Ito.

Didn't know about that.

I wouldn't trust Bloober either after playing their licensed games :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom