• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is a big downgrade - Silent Hill 2 Remake

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
It is a downgrade.
Even the soundtrack sounds worse. Feel bad for anyone experience this masterpiece with the Remake.
RIP.
h7MTItD.gif
Don't be so harsh. David Duchovny is a great actor and it's great to see him getting some more work here.

RaduN

lol downgrade is being used incorrectly here. the graphics have obviously been upgraded. character models, facial animations and acting are all improved. There might be some wooden animations and odd directing choices, but overall it looks light years ahead.

This is the perfect example of how advanced graphics mean absolutely zero when talking atmosphere and conveying specific emotions and characterisation.
It's the art and the artist first and foremost.

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
Sooo, is that something where somebody used A.I. to deepfake David Duchovny's face on the character, or is that actually how it looks in the game?

Big David Duchovny fan, btw.

Don't be so harsh. David Duchovny is a great actor and it's great to see him getting some more work here.

KjFP.gif

Seems like Bloober are Twin Peaks Season 2 fans.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Looks fine to me, seems to do some stuff better, some worse, but overall it's an upgrade, if less artistic.

That SBI is involved is concerning, but at least the Bloober devs themselves do not appear to be overtly woke so they hopefully ignored most of the "advice".
I get the same. But, I will come on here, after destroying this game and give my ultimate opinion. I plan to 100% this.

Gonzito

Reviews for Dead Rising Remastered were positive too but you won't hear the journalists talking about why it's worse in some ways

This is the thing. If I am proven wrong then that's okay, I love games and I dont want then to fail. But for example, God of War Ragnarok received amazing reviews and then for me personally it was a big disappointment, wouldn't rate it higher than a 6, same story with Starfield and FF16. You never know in the end but hey I will try this game and see if it's as good as reviews say. I still keep my position that some of the cutscenes are not good enough compared to the original

Last edited:

playbignbox

Neo Member
This is the thing. If I am proven wrong then that's okay, I love games and I dont want then to fail. But for example, God of War Ragnarok received amazing reviews and then for me personally it was a big disappointment, wouldn't rate it higher than a 6. You never know in the end but hey I will try this game and see if it's as good as reviews say. I still keep my position that some of the cutscenes are not good enough compared to the original
Some people think that complaints about the cutscenes were invalidated because of the game's score on metacritic, it's amazing how easily people are influenced.

Last edited:
"Woke" has now just become a term to mean "I don't like something". So please, just say you don't like it and stop using it. It's just annoying. That being said, it does seem like they have changed direction to make this a more loose interpretation of the original.

I feel like the bigger issue with this (and some other remakes) are the game(s) were originally designed with the lower polygon count in mind and look better in that aesthetic then they do when adapted to a more realistic art style. You end up losing something in the translation. That's not to say this will be bad, but I think it's best to look at many remakes as someone else's interpretation of said game. Will it be good? We'll have to see.

No, that's not what "woke" means. The people using the term are 100% justified in using it too as it is what's being forced into almost every game these days. There's a reason you will continue to see it used. Do you deny that there's a politically correct, sjw agenda going on in the country? If not, stop trying to gaslight people over using the word!

Madflavor

Gold Member
i see many people are calling it woke

until we see if there is any race swapping , gender swapping , sexuality change we cant call it woke

i hate woke agenda with all my heart but just because the face doesnt look as "attractive" as it did many years ago isnt woke , lets wait for the full game

Woke has pretty much lost it's meaning. It's gotten really bad these past few months I'm noticing, probably because recent failures of actual woke games have emboldened people to become even louder on the subject. But we've crossed the threshold where some of the Anti-Woke crowd have gone mask off, and have become just as annoying as the Woke crowd.

Ulysses 31

i see many people are calling it woke

until we see if there is any race swapping , gender swapping , sexuality change we cant call it woke
I can kinda see their reasoning for calling the changes to Maria woke. If the reasoning for the changes stem from "we can't have a woman look weak/vulnerable anymore" or "have a man mentor a woman" or "have a man rescue a woman" or "look sexy because of the male gaze" then they do have a point. That stuff falls in line some of the more extreme forms of feminism and the me-too movement.

Last edited:

Lee49

Neo Member
I feel like because someone disagrees with something, they feel compelled to go and spout an extremely oppposite opinion no matter what and without reasoning. I wish more people can get out of that mindset and call a spade a spade.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

I can kinda see their reasoning for calling the changes to Maria woke. If the reasoning for the changes stem from "we can't have a woman look weak/vulnerable anymore" or "have a man mentor a woman" or "have a man rescue a woman" or "look sexy because of the male gaze" then they do have a point. That stuff falls in line some of the more extreme forms of feminism and the me-too movement.
if thats the case we will see in the writing but we need the full game released , from what i heard sweet baby inc is involved so the chances are pretty high

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Amazing.

What is going on lately on gaf? No really?
ps5 pro is shit
Astro is shit
Now silent hill 2 is shit

I will lay low for a while , work is retarded, stressed out of my mind etc so i wont blow my account with freakouts over stuff like this.
But i will say this. I played the original several times. One of my favorite horror games that goes deep. I am lucky and happy that i can replay it in a new light. I dont care who looks like what . What matters to me is all here and i will buy this game regardless of all the hate.

I start to think most people on this forum dont even play games.
People love to hate. it's the new trend on X and youtube. Only fair that it will seep into gaming forums. Same audience after all.

It's on us to keep these fools in check. Call out this over dramatic PMS behavior when you see it.

Garibaldi

This aged horribly
Not really. The animations are all stiff in my opinion. Bloober's track record is also extremely poor imo. Just because you have a difference in taste doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Happy for them it's reviewing well. Doesn't mean I have to find the game appealing. Grow up.

Last edited:
I feel like because someone disagrees with something, they feel compelled to go and spout an extremely oppposite opinion no matter what and without reasoning. I wish more people can get out of that mindset and call a spade a spade.

No offence, how long have you been using the internet?

Top Bottom