• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is a big downgrade - Silent Hill 2 Remake

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Looks like an improvement all round to me.

Sorry, but holding up the original game as being somehow perfect in comparison is plain laughable.

Here's some truth-bombs for you:

(1) ALL the female characters looked stiff and unnatural in the original. Stop pretending that Maria looked like Britney Spears!
(2) A lot of the dialogue was stilted and clumsy; like basically all games of that era! The monologued stuff was mostly good (Mary's line-readings probably the high-point) but the reality is that Yamoaka's music does most of the heavy emotional lifting.
(3) I find it interesting that its not being highlighted that SH2 stood out at the time of its original release mainly because there was literally nothing else like it. And yes, that includes the original Silent Hill. This remake is not going to hit the same because so many attempts have been made over the years to try and better it. Most pointedly Silent Hill 3, made by the same creative team and superior in every technical and artistic dimension. Yet, its never had close-to the same "aura" as its predecessor. Think about it; and reflect on the value of surprise.

StueyDuck

Anything else of actual substance about the game, just imagine this is a game that you never saw a youtuber rage about..

Do you like the gunplay? Is the music good? How's the writing? etc etc etc.

But you don't like that people are talking about the character models when comparing them to the remake, they are all just silly chuds so I thought you'd at least have an alternative take on the topic but you have yet to present one.

Its funny you say that people are stopping discussions yet the irony is that you are the only one thought policing and trying to stop discussions because it's a discussion you don't like.

Blame Konami/Ito. Not Bloober. I could see them adding it as DLC, just like Capcom did for RE for the classic outfits in their remakes.
I'm not blaming A or B. It's like discussing if is Nomura or Square Enix.

I just found curious that the character, that looks like a slut, is the one that gets most changes in the outfit.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Western media and supposed "purists" wants to burry it and memory hole it, and still "blame Bloober" meme.

At least there is a semi-AAA studio keeping psychological horror games alive. Outside of a handful of indies, it's not a genre being pushed by big AAA other than campy action jump scare "horror."
gonna die on this hill alone but their Blair Wiitch game was really good. Maybe I have a surpressed childhood forrest at night trauma of some kind, dunno but I was totally shitting bricks playing, while I’m find 99% of usual attempts at horror funny rather than scary

Go_Ly_Dow

uNO4O5Y.jpeg

lol at this.

For shame Bloober. For shame.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm not blaming A or B. It's like discussing if is Nomura or Square Enix.

I just found curious that the character, that looks like a slut, is the one that gets most changes in the outfit
Capcom did the very same thing, only to have those outfits in later DLC.

Why do we even have this? I can see a 'remake' like RE2 but quit wasting time and money on this 'enhanced' crap.
Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
gonna die on this hill alone but their Blair Wiitch game was really good. Maybe I have a surpressed childhood forrest at night trauma of some kind, dunno but I was totally shitting bricks playing, while I’m find 99% of usual attempts at horror funny rather than scary

I really liked Blair Witch. Waking up in that forest, losing your dog, hearing those sounds. Shit had me fucked up.

Saber

The urgent need for some to have attractive and "fuckable" video game characters needs to be studied by psychologists.

Coomers ruin everything.

I know people are usually like this, but the entire point of that woman is to be the sex objetification of what the main character wants.

I can not explain this more clearly, she is supposed to be sexy. She is supposed to be provoking and attractive, this is not your typical "boys clup rethoric" retard thing or "you guys just want a wank material" low effort excuse. Her design was intentional, the game wasn't made out of vaccom for fan service or anything. You guys would know this if you have played or even watched the entire game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I really liked Blair Witch. Waking up in that forest, losing your dog, hearing those sounds. Shit had me fucked up.
I'll have to check that one out. Saw the original movie with a GF of mine at the time when it came out at the theater few years out of high school. The entire theater was tense and scared, lol. Was nothing like it (found footage films) at the time and in some ways, revolutionary.

Last edited:
No.

Here's a snippet.

However, the term was originally coined by progressive Black Americans and used in racial justice movements in the early to mid-1900s. To be "woke" politically in the Black community means that someone is informed, educated and conscious of social injustice and racial inequality, Merriam-Webster Dictionary states.

A historical recording of the protest song "Scottsboro Boys" by Lead Belly in the 1930s -- as captured by Smithsonian Folkways, the non-profit record label of the National Museum -- is often cited as one of the earliest uses of the term. The Scottsboro Boys were nine Black teenagers falsely accused of raping two white women aboard a Southern Railroad freight train in northern Alabama in 1931 in a case that lasted decades, according to the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

In the recording of the Lead Belly song several years after the incident, "stay woke" urged Black Americans to be aware of the potential for racist violence in the South.
You do realize that the word usage has changed. It's now slang. Sjws/resetera/reddit cultist used it as a positive thing to describe themselves. Others use it as slang for exactly what was said:
That is how it is currently usaged 95% of the time. The "message" can take many forms. Race/sex swapping characters, uglifying, bait and switch kill offs, barrage of slogans/flags/ ESG/DEI etc...

Gonzito said:
Woke means imposing radical ideologies in media in order to send a message to the audiences and manipulate them into believing their narrative. In the end, wokism is just censorship and supremacy. You have to do and think what they think is right, otherwise you will be cancelled and burried.

But lets not get it twisted. A diverse original story doesn't mean woke. Sony not making or killing off all 1st party male protagonists to spread a message is. Appeasing a .02% population to make all women ugly so they feel better is woke.

SH2 remake does not seem woke to me. We shall see, I am pulling the trigger on day1 only because it's silent hill and because i liked legacy of fear (yeah I don't get the bloober team hate boner on here, I thought they were great with mystery and vibe).

• Strength
Reactions: LMJ

SHA

Man...what is this? The camera angles are awful, Maria is so stiff in her movements and her behavior doesn't resemble her personality. And why does her voice actor sound so bored? And why is her head so big? The original Maria had wider shoulders and normal proportions, why do developers insist to make women like this in modern games?

Goddammit, I knew hiring Bloober Team to do this was a mistake

Fatually Correct Simulator.

midnightAI

Yeah the original ages pretty poorly, that voice acting is awful.

But the directing isn't good in the new one, it definitely feels stiff and low budget by modern standards.
I think that is part of the issue, they are trying to make a new game using modern technology that looks old so you still get the nostalgia of the original. If you even look at games like Until Dawn (the original not the remake) that looks way ahead of this remake also so they are in this weird middle ground of not looking old but not looking modern either (in my opinion)

"Woke" has now just become a term to mean "I don't like something". So please, just say you don't like it and stop using it. It's just annoying. That being said, it does seem like they have changed direction to make this a more loose interpretation of the original.

I feel like the bigger issue with this (and some other remakes) are the game(s) were originally designed with the lower polygon count in mind and look better in that aesthetic then they do when adapted to a more realistic art style. You end up losing something in the translation. That's not to say this will be bad, but I think it's best to look at many remakes as someone else's interpretation of said game. Will it be good? We'll have to see.

Thank you for being one of the more reasonable posters in this thread. Much appreciated. And yeah I’m so tired of people using the term “woke,” for everything.

Hope the game turns out well overall and does well in sales. 👍🏻 💪🏻

Astray

But you don't like that people are talking about the character models when comparing them to the remake, they are all just silly chuds so I thought you'd at least have an alternative take on the topic but you have yet to present one.

Its funny you say that people are stopping discussions yet the irony is that you are the only one thought policing and trying to stop discussions because it's a discussion you don't like.
I literally said that chud is also idiotic tho..

My alternative take is to actually talk about the game itself away from the resetera and youtuber bullshit.

I already stay far away from that kind of media because it rots brains, and I'm seeing a lot of brain rot happening here because of it. I'm literally telling you to think for yourself and your answer is to somehow have me think for you instead.

Also I don't understand the thought police thing.. Am I a mod? Do I have special powers that block your speech? Do you see me jailing people for their opinions somehow?

It's all literally catchphrases you heard elsewhere and you're parroting them to me with no added value.

I know people are usually like this, but the entire point of that woman is to be the sex objetification of what the main character wants.

I can not explain this more clearly, she is supposed to be sexy. She is supposed to be provoking and attractive, this is not your typical "boys clup rethoric" retard thing or "you guys just want a wank material" low effort excuse. Her design was intentional, the game wasn't made out of vaccom for fan service or anything. You guys would know this if you have played or even watched the entire game.
I mean I can't talk about this without spoiling the game for myself, but what difference does a moderate cleavage or jawline alteration make here? People are making mountains out of molehills in almost every topic like this.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I'll have to check that one out. Saw the original movie with a GF of mine at the time when it came out at the theater few years out of high school. The entire theater was tense and scared, lol. Was nothing like it (found footage films) at the time and in some ways, revolutionary.

Id get it for PC, console versions didnt get updated but it runs at 60 on PS5 at least.

Saber

I mean I can't talk about this without spoiling the game for myself, but what difference does a moderate cleavage or jawline alteration make here? People are making mountains out of molehills in almost every topic like this.

The difference is exactly what I said, and I'm really carefull to not spoiling anything.
And this is me not saying she is bad, but she is different from the original not to mention she looks like it's covering to much, which was the entire point of her design.
Just repeating what I said in my last post, her design was made with purpose. She is supposed to show skin, she is supposed to be provocating. Her design is explained through the game, so when someone proposes me this new version it conflicts with what she is supposed to be.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It's a decent to good game but it launched in a pretty terrible state.

The only decent way to play it on console is the PS4 version on PS5 where it brute forces decent performance out of it.

Probably one of their better offerings next to The Observer.

shamoomoo

But Delta Snake is as faithful as it can be. They dont want to change Kojima's masterpiece I guess.

You do realize that the word usage has changed. It's now slang. Sjws/resetera/reddit cultist used it as a positive thing to describe themselves. Others use it as slang for exactly what was said:
That is how it is currently usaged 95% of the time. The "message" can take many forms. Race/sex swapping characters, uglifying, bait and switch kill offs, barrage of slogans/flags/ ESG/DEI etc...

But lets not get it twisted. A diverse original story doesn't mean woke. Sony not making or killing off all 1st party male protagonists to spread a message is. Appeasing a .02% population to make all women ugly so they feel better is woke.

SH2 remake does not seem woke to me. We shall see, I am pulling the trigger on day1 only because it's silent hill and because i liked legacy of fear (yeah I don't get the bloober team hate boner on here, I thought they were great with mystery and vibe).
No, not in this context. Black people still exist in the U.S and their political reality hasn't changed much. You can't say "woke" has a different origin/meaning because do-nothing politicians are spinning the phrase into something else. It's like when Black people said: "Black lives matter" and the do-nothing politicians started to counteract that phrase with "all lives matter" and others folks bastardizing or have a different take on that slogan.

Last edited:

SHA

What do you expect from using old assets, the apartment size do matter, it plays a role on being scary, idk, doing the math today, because of modern tech, do bigger places solve the issue like in the last of us or it's a texture/geometry permanent issue with gaming?

Bartski

Gold Member
It's a decent to good game but it launched in a pretty terrible state.

The only decent way to play it on console is the PS4 version on PS5 where it brute forces decent performance out of it.

Probably one of their better offerings next to The Observer.
I played it once it was on gamepass on xsx and it was fine

Stooky

The difference is exactly what I said, and I'm really carefull to not spoiling anything.
And this is me not saying she is bad, but she is different from the original not to mention she looks like it's covering to much, which was the entire point of her design.
Just repeating what I said in my last post, her design was made with purpose. She is supposed to show skin, she is supposed to be provocating. Her design is explained through the game, so when someone proposes me this new version it conflicts with what she is supposed to be.
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

RPCGamer

Yeah the original ages pretty poorly, that voice acting is awful.

But the directing isn't good in the new one, it definitely feels stiff and low budget by modern standards.
It won't be low budget. Not in triple A. I think the direction is just different and they're going for a more cinematic approach with the acting and script. The script kinda works better in this context as in the original James is a lot less subtle in his confused, tired state.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It won't be low budget. Not in triple A. I think the direction is just different and they're going for a more cinematic approach with the acting and script.

SH2 isn't a blockbuster supernatural epic. Its a small, intimate mood-piece.

I feel like people have got entirely the wrong idea of what the game is, and why it was such a left-turn compared to the original.

SH2 was never really scary, certainly not in the same way that the original Silent Hill was aggressively trying to scare the player.

Its defining trait is its low-key approach; Which is why the complaints about the changes are so off-the-mark. Bloober, to their credit actually seem to understand the material.

Spoilers below:
Yes, Maria is Mary's "trashy" alter-ego, but making her more slutty wouldn't really help as her function in the story is to be simultaneously attractive and off-putting to James.
She's essentially a Tulpa (hello Twin Peaks fans) conjured up by the town to fuck with James. She's neither love interest nor sex object.

And don't get me started on the reactions to Angela's new design...

RPCGamer

I feel like people have got entirely the wrong idea of what the game is, and why it was such a left-turn compared to the original.

SH2 was never really scary, certainly not in the same way that the original Silent Hill was aggressively trying to scare the player.

Its defining trait is its low-key approach; Which is why the complaints about the changes are so off-the-mark. Bloober, to their credit actually seem to understand the material.

Spoilers below:
Yes, Maria is Mary's "trashy" alter-ego, but making her more slutty wouldn't really help as her function in the story is to be simultaneously attractive and off-putting to James.
She's essentially a Tulpa (hello Twin Peaks fans) conjured up by the town to fuck with James. She's neither love interest nor sex object.

If that's the case, then Konami have got it wrong too. This should have been a lower budget title to fit the project.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Spoilers below:

boom smile GIF

lol downgrade is being used incorrectly here. the graphics have obviously been upgraded. character models, facial animations and acting are all improved. There might be some wooden animations and odd directing choices, but overall it looks light years ahead.
Vocal performances are so shit it sort of negates all that though. This is a game people are emotionally invested in. The best graphics in the world can't bridge the gap with that connection.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If that's the case, then Konami have got it wrong too. This should have been a lower budget title to fit the project.

That's an entirely fair point. But then again I was the guy wondering if remaking it was a great idea in the first place; check my post history in SH2 related threads - I love the game and I am glad its being remade with modern tech, but I still believe its something of a "poison chalice" for the developer.
SH2 was an "indie"-game in spirit years before the hipsters made the sub-genre (briefly) popular.

sv0DLXI.jpeg

She's shown to be sexy, provocative in the remake scene.

Seems more a middle of the road remake. To capture every little thing and revamp it just so would be very difficult, costly and time consuming, when you have a project on the go they will just role with the people, mocap and talents available, so a mixed bag. Also some will have to be honest and admit there is crudeness in terms of animations, weird embraces and dialogue from some these old video game scenes that won't be recreated.

Last edited:

Hawk The Slayer

Neo Member
I swear to god every game has some sort of bitching around it.. Woke this and chud that.

Very annoying for anyone who wants actual discussions.
Yep actual discussion would be nice like in the good old days! I am a member of both Resetera and Neo, on Reset Chuds and incels gets thrown around too freely to the point where they lose all meaning and it's the woke word for the opposite side. Most pro resetera members are obviously completely insane but there's extremes on the opposite too that could be just as bad or almost as bad. Like for example I once saw a game that hates Stellar Blade's Eve on the stellar blade subreddit because he hates female protagonist and he should it should have been a male protagonist instead of a woman for stellar blade and that females are taking over man's role as the protagonist. I'm assuming this guy is the opposite of reserera but still managed to be pretty bad.

For a news guy, you sure are slacking? Trying to push an agenda?
It has already been pushed, but it's not worth me getting into the 'why' because I just don't care to argue that much anymore about it with people. Just know that this site has been clickbaited into oblivion since he started creating thread OPs. He has already won.

In case anyone thinks I dislike the guy, I don't dislike him. I just clearly see past what he has been doing.

nnytk

XNcBLcL.jpeg

🤦🏻‍♂️... it's a 3D character... there is literally no excuse to downgraded her..... should I upload the second image? 😏
I'm confused here, is this a really well made 3D render or a heavily shopped image of someone cosplaying? I'm at a loss here. Hahaha.

Edit: Nvm. I feel weird for thinking this was HQ CG for a second...

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It won't be low budget. Not in triple A. I think the direction is just different and they're going for a more cinematic approach with the acting and script. The script kinda works better in this context as in the original James is a lot less subtle in his confused, tired state.
I meant specifically the cutscenes felt low budget, like I'm not seeing mo cap and real camera work like you would in a AAA game.

Top Bottom