• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toki Tori 2 |OT| - Who needs weapons when you can whistle?

serplux

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEuEUQIP3Q&noredirect=1
Developer/Publisher: Two Tribes
Platforms: Wii U eShop, Steam
Size: 531 MB
Price: $13.49/£11.69
ESRB: Everyone/PEGI: 3
Player(s): 1
Launch Date: April 4 (eShop), TBA (Steam)

What is Toki Tori 2?

Toki Tori 2 is the sequel to the award winning puzzle adventure game starring a poultry mascot embarking on a completely new adventure. This sequel offers a hybrid between puzzle and platform gameplay, set in a rich and living game world. Players need to learn about the personalities of the inhabitants and discover how they react to the player's presence in order to make progress in the game.

You control a chubby chicken whose only available actions are a whistle or -- using his weight -- a stomp on the floor. The diverse roster of creatures and their reactions to these two actions, deliver an easy to grasp yet deep puzzle mechanic.​

Gameplay:

Two Tribes Press Release said:
Toki Tori 2 is a Metroidvania style puzzle adventure game in which you explore a lush forest island inhabited by strange creatures. Whistle and stomp to influence their behavior, and solve the puzzles. But what’s up with that black goo? It’s threatening your home world!

Our unlikely yellow hero may be the star of the show, but he won’t get anywhere without the creatures he meets along the way. You can whistle and stomp to influence them, and use their abilities in your advantage. As you play, the storyline unfolds. Your goal is to get to the core of the corruption and save the island!

The game’s Metroidvania style open world opens up as players learn more about the world and its creatures. This means inquisitive players can go anywhere right from the start while less experienced players can simply follow the game’s flow.

We want players to figure everything out themselves by experimentation, which means there are no tutorials or explanatory texts. Actually, there is no text at all in the game. Who reads that anyway?

Wii U Exclusive Features:

Two Tribes Dev Blog said:
Play on the GamePad

First of all, you can play all of Toki Tori 2 on the GamePad’s screen. So if your significant other wants to watch a movie, or if you’re too lazy to turn on your TV, that’s possible.

Unlike some other games, we don’t mirror the two screens: you either play on your TV or on your GamePad, and you can switch between them with the Select button or via the options menu. If you ask me, this is a big pro: I loved New Super Mario Bros. U, but when I wanted to play on the TV screen, my eyes were constantly drawn to the GamePad. I was happy to hear this won’t happen when playing Toki Tori 2!

This setup also makes it possible to display some extra info on the GamePad when playing on the TV, similar to what many Nintendo DS games do. For example, it will show where Toki Tori is in the current scene, as well as the songs you’ve discovered so far.

Tokidex Camera

When we announced the Wii U version of Toki Tori 2, we also revealed the Tokidex. Collin then described it like this:

The Tokidex feature allows you to scan the area around Toki Tori for creatures and objects by using the Wii U Gamepad as a virtual camera with a viewfinder. Any creatures photographed will be added to the Tokidex. It’s quite fun to do, especially with creatures that move quite a bit!

Guess what? All of this is still true. The Tokidex Camera is a fun little feature, reminiscent of golden oldies like Pokémon Snap. There are almost 40 pictures to shoot and it’s a bit of a puzzle to figure out which objects are ‘snappable’. Finding everything unlocks a nifty easter egg*.

*Not an actual egg.

Steam Workshop/Level Sharing:

Now you're playing with power said:
So when we (Two Tribes) started working on Toki Tori 2, we decided early on that having a properly designed and deeply integrated editor would be beneficial to the overall quality of the game, but also more easily allow us to expose it to you all. The main thing we were unsure about before we could make a public announcement was how to share the user-made levels. This may sound easy, but to facilitate easy sharing and browsing for players is quite a difficult and time-consuming task.

With the arrival of the Steam Workshop, which allows players to easily share and browse user generated content on Steam, everything clicked and we decided it was time to go for it! So here we are! The latest build has a little hub level that allows you to either play through the GDC content or go into a level which you can edit to your heart’s content.

Link: http://twotribes.com/message/toki-tori-2-update-24/
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wY3kmB_mJE4

System Requirements:

Unknown at this point in time. You could just get a Wii U. :p

Screenshots:

screenshot_01_worldmap.jpg
screenshot_02_whistle.jpg
screenshot_03_blacklavacave.jpg
screenshot_04_purplecave.jpg
screenshot_05_lavacave.jpg
screenshot_06_underwater.jpg

FAQ

Will be updated.

Q. When will Miiverse/the level editor come to the Wii U?
A. It'll arrive sometime after launch. As to what that will entail:
Two Tribes write on the subject: “What if you could create levels with the editor, then share them via MiiVerse and allow others to open them with a single click? What if this could tie in with levels created in the Steam version? All of this might come true!”

dc89

I bet this is a blast on the WiiU. It's the kind of game I see being really enjoyable off screen.

Nice OT too.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I have the game. It's lovely, but very hard. You have to experiment a lot to understand how the environment reacts to your only two moves (the stomp and the whistle). It's not easy, but it's satisfactory.
Just two questions: are Miiverse and Level editor still foreseen for the Wii U version with an incoming update?

GRW810

Tempted, so tempted, but I just didn't think the first game was all that great. Also, Nintendo Life are usually quite generous with their review scores and big fans of Indie games, so 7/10 from them isn't impressing me.

Tizoc

My 6 year old niece loves the first game on PS3 even though she only plays on the Easy mode stages haha.
Hope it'll get a PSN release in the near future XO.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I think it's pretty funny that just two days ago I was getting an e-mail where Two Tribes was pondering whether or not Toki Tori 2 was a Metroidvania. Now, it definitely is.

I'm looking forward to it, but hope it appears on other platforms as well. No intention of owning a WiiU, but I'd still prefer a console/handheld version over PC. Despite loving the game on PC, I only managed to progress through the first's remake on Android.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Tempted, so tempted, but I just didn't think the first game was all that great. Also, Nintendo Life are usually quite generous with their review scores and big fans of Indie games, so 7/10 from them isn't impressing me.

this game is very different from the first one, if you are interest in it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This will be mine. Eventually. I have so many games now. It's a shame they could get it out during the Wii U drought earlier in the year.

Shiggy

I've played the Steam beta version and can say that I'm not really impressed by the gameplay. The original Toki Tori was more fulfilling.

Murrah

Banned
Game looks really cool, especially after watching a bit of Gamexplain's video of it last night, but that price coupled with how much time Luigi and Lego are taking up means this is gonna have to wait a while before I get it. But it'll definitely be mine eventually

Blinck

Fuck...where is the steam version? I need this game in my life.
Toki Tori 1 was such a great puzzle game. Took me 27 freakin hours to beat the whole game, including the hard levels. Great value

CoolS

Two Tribes write on the subject: “What if you could create levels with the editor, then share them via MiiVerse and allow others to open them with a single click? What if this could tie in with levels created in the Steam version? All of this might come true!”

Damn, this sounds amazing. Will definitely get this once I finished LEGO City and LM2

I bought it today despite the fact I have never played the original, and I'm very surprised with the clever design of the puzles, the simplicity of the mechanics and the charm of that relaxing and exquisite ambientation.

However, I would like the game had some kind of secrets and collectibles, it doesn't seem to be very long and that could extend its duration significantly.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I love it, despite the game making feel dumb, and I mean DUMB. Amazing.

EDIT: miiverse was made for this game (or the other way around: devs raised the difficulty because they knew people could rely on miiverse if stuck).

hawk2025

Incredibly impressed by the game. It looks beautiful, runs smoothly, and is simply fun to explore and solve puzzles on. All the puzzles (so far) have a "natural" feeling to them, as if you are just trying to explore the environment.

I also love how the game teaches you absolutely nothing directly. Everything is learned as you go: What whistling does and its many, many uses, the reactions of different animals to the environment and to you.

This is expert game design right here. The only text I've seen so far is the title screen, and that's fantastic.

marc^o^

I also love how the game teaches you absolutely nothing directly. Everything is learned as you go: What whistling does and its many, many uses, the reactions of different animals to the environment and to you.

This is expert game design right here. The only text I've seen so far is the title screen, and that's fantastic.
This exactly.

Apenheul

I've never finished the first Toki Tori but it just so happens that I have 15 euros worth of unspent eShop points and this looks like the best game on the Wii U eShop in the foreseeable future. The promise of a level editor is also very attractive.

hawk2025

This game is seriously impressive, and keeps getting better.

More of you guys need to try it! It's also on sale right now for $13.50 instead of $15!

Volotaire

Oh wow Level Editor on Wii U (and maybe tying with Steam user created content), looks like I might reconsider my initial decision.

GulAtiCa

I really love how the whole game is fully open. Currently exploring some early levels, so areas I never knew I could get to, before now.

Also, be sure to pay attention to those small birds that sing those tunes. I ignored it originally, forgetting that they were the abilities.

I really love how the whole game is fully open. Currently exploring some early levels, so areas I never knew I could get to, before now.

Also, be sure to pay attention to those small birds that sing those tunes. I ignored it originally, forgetting that they were the abilities.
Yup. Another thing to note is that you actually can use all the songs in the game from the very start. So if you know what the songs are or just want to see if you can stumble onto them through trial and error, those are options as well.

gogojira

Got a $20 eShop card and it's either going on Wii U toward this and ... probably storage until something else I care about releases on the system, or 3DS. SO TORN. It's ridiculous I can't put it on a unified account, the decision would be much easier!

Yep, I randomly found out some kind of shield bubble thingy. No idea what it does, but I have access to it!
If that's the one I think it is,
long-short-short-short
, I think it's a collectible-indicator thing. The parts that light up more brightly are pointing you towards where those wing-puzzle-piece-things you find in the levels are. If none of the sphere is glowing at all, that means you've gotten everything in that section.

I understand they took a minimalist approach to this game, but the digital manual is a huge fuck you: this button stomps, this button sings, figure the rest out lol. I have no idea what these puzzle pieces are for, or why it keeps showing a world map with things glowing....I was hoping the manual would provide the context the game lacks. But you gotta hand it to them, they are fully committed to their vision of "tell the gamer 2 buttons and throw 'em to the wolves" :p

The game itself is adorable, and it is like an extension of the original and yet completely fresh, so I commend them for trying something new instead of playing it safe with a "level pack" sequel.

hawk2025

I understand they took a minimalist approach to this game, but the digital manual is a huge fuck you: this button stomps, this button sings, figure the rest out lol. I have no idea what these puzzle pieces are for, or why it keeps showing a world map with things glowing....I was hoping the manual would provide the context the game lacks. But you gotta hand it to them, they are fully committed to their vision of "tell the gamer 2 buttons and throw 'em to the wolves" :p

The game itself is adorable, and it is like an extension of the original and yet completely fresh, so I commend them for trying something new instead of playing it safe with a "level pack" sequel.

The brilliant thing is that you don't need that info yet! Little by little you will figure out on your own the reason for the map and the collectibles. Just enjoy the ride for now!

marc^o^

I received NFSMW yesterday, yet spent far more time on Toki Tori 2. It is cute, clever, and deserves so much praise for what it accomplishes.

If you like puzzle games and have Steam or a Wii U, this is a must have.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I've been keeping funds aside for Toki Tori 2 for a while now. I powered up last night with sincere intentions to grab Toki, then fired up MWU for a sec just to check how my buddies have been doing, and three hours later parked my Porsche and went to bed. I will make sure I get Toki today, dammit!

Top Bottom