• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson - Ubisoft has Cancelled Press Previews of Assassin's Creed Shadows Until Further Notice

GHG

History has been cancelled.

Suicide Samurai GIF

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Ubi could've made a blockbuster that everyone would enjoy in one of the most requested settings since the AC franchise exists.

But instead, they went to fully double down on pandering to the retarded culture and ideology. But even so, they can't even have the balls to face the repercussions, what a spineless loser.

Last edited:

ssringo

Since we don't know the actual reason I'm going to go with the people in charge have realized just how half assed the "research" was and are going to bring in some actual experts to unfuck a lot of the ridiculously wrong stuff we already know about as well as stuff we don't. Yasuke ain't going anywhere though.

Probably the best they can do at this point.

Kacho

Well, they don't have a good way out of this, there will be backlash in any case. Poor bastards should have made japanese protagonists from the beginning, but it seems like western devs are completely unteachable.
Which backlash is less likely to be a financial risk? I think we know the answer now.

I bet it's more to do with people like the Japanese couple pointing out other aspects of the game, so they will need to redo some parts and details like the buildings, customs, seasons etc and get better consultancy to check the whole game.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Ubi could've made a blockbuster that everyone enjoys in one of the most requested settings since the AC franchise exists.

But instead, they want to fully double down on pandering to the retarded culture and ideology. But even then, they can't even have the balls to face the repercussions, what a spineless loser.
Truly baffling how companies fear these people. Seriously.

solecon64

While last year was one of the best, in terms of actually great games, I have to give it to 2024, man.

So many horrible games failing so spectacularly, it's honestly almost just as good :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I still have Zelda to look forward to in a couple of days, and Dragon Quest 3 in November. But between those 2 games, the upcoming dumpster fire failures of Dragon Age and Assassin's Creed are going to feel sooo good.

As a bonus, I'm looking forward to the brain rotten going "what happened??!? why did it fail???!?" :messenger_relieved:

whyman

Hahaha, Ubisoft is such a weak company. Just delay the game 1.5 years and rework the main character(s), and get things a bit more correct in terms of history. Does not have to be perfect, just not researched by a pedo.

StereoVsn

Looks like a delay is on the cards. Disappointing but I’m willing to wait till next year to get a more polished game.

Shit happens. Don’t think they will go and change the race of the character though. This is likely an issue with polish and bugs.
I wonder if it’s to fix Animations looking pretty bad. Actually that was an issue with Outlaws as well. Which is weird because animations in a lot of their previous games looked all right.
That was an excellent show.

Last edited:

laynelane

Yusuke taken out and replaced with Japanese male ???? IMAGINE THE FUCKSTORM

It's insane that we're in a time period where re-casting a Japanese man as a samurai in a game set in historic Japan would actually cause controversy - of course, it would be a real shame if a game company actually listened to the people of that country regarding this issue too. :messenger_expressionless:

SJRB

Gold Member
They're skipping TGS at the last minute because in general Japanese gamers are NOT happy with this game and no Ubi marketing manager is willing to travel to Tokyo and get blasted for four days in the lion's den.

Kacho

No more black samurai? 😂
It’s way too late for that. They’d basically have to redo everything. Not a realistic option.

This has more to do with the little inaccuracies that blew up a couple weeks ago. Address what they can, more polish and pray for the best. They need a hit after everything else bombed/underperformed this past year.

RespawnX

Well, they don't have a good way out of this, there will be backlash in any case. Poor bastards should have made japanese protagonists from the beginning, but it seems like western devs are completely unteachable.
It's not just the protagonist. I'm pretty sure that people would have accepted him if everything around him had looked exactly the right way. But there are a lot of things in this game that just don't come from or belong in Japanese culture. The Assassin's Creed games have never proclaimed correctness for themselves, but this time it's noticeable and that's in a country that places a lot of value on preserving culture and history.

On top of that, things have not been going well for Ubisoft recently, a lot is depending on this game.

Bernardougf

Suicide Squad, Concord, this huge woke flops maybe the turning point ... one can only hope.

About the topic I dont think they are going to take off the black samurai, but this events are to much for being nothing just "bugs".

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Looks like a delay is on the cards. Disappointing but I’m willing to wait till next year to get a more polished game.

Shit happens. Don’t think they will go and change the race of the character though. This is likely an issue with polish and bugs.
Imo, they will make different skins for booth sexes, sell it as "this was always the plan and the marketing material was simply done using one certain skin" and delete the whole "black samurai" story to make it fit any skin selected. They have no spine, and do whatever it takes to not get Concord'ed.

Suicide Squad, Concord, this huge woke flops maybe the turning point ... one can only hope.

About the topic I dont think they are going to take off the black samurai, but this events are to much for being nothing just "bugs".

The common denominator in all these three games is woke DEI propaganda. In games like BG3 you can customize the story as you want. This is not so with games such as these.

When will these devs at Ubisoft and also Sony learn that we are sick of political ideologies in games. If they cater to the minority segment, they must be ready for meagre sales.

Rudius

Its a fucking video game man...People need to start putting on their big boy pants and realize there are waay bigger things in the world to take offense over...For example I was at the beach the other day and this huge fatty had the nerve to wear a bikini....That's an image I won't soon forget.
Read Moby Dick.

Fess

just watch them removing the black samurai completly from the game.
Well, does anyone actually want to play as the samurai?
Are you going to sneak around in that bulky armour? And if you aren’t and you only go head on with big fights as the samurai, how is that Assassin’s Creed?
Just going with the ninja would make the game about 1000 times more interesting. Imo.

IMO, they won't change a thing, it's too late now. This is just an emergency halt to prepare an official PR statement to answer the controversies in the best way possible. Making substantial changes would be ridiculous and would probably backfire. They must own up to their mistakes, mend some historical inaccuracies, and release without any social media noise.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Previews will come.

They just need time to make new trailers and gameplay snippets where the Japanese female co-lead gets more show time.

They’ll make it look like the female character is most of the action, but in reality it’s still the black guy as the main star.

Last edited:
Top Bottom