• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson - Ubisoft has Cancelled Press Previews of Assassin's Creed Shadows Until Further Notice

GrayChild

Aren't they too far in development already to make any changes to the game? I mean, changing Yasuke will also require some significant rewriting of the character and remaking a significant portion of the title.

pqueue

Aren't they too far in development already to make any changes to the game? I mean, changing Yasuke will also require some significant rewriting of the character and remaking a significant portion of the title.
they could reskin with minimal effort, leaving everything else the same.

Killer8

They are probably wanting to just shit this one out without generating even more negative reception before release. The damage is already done but maybe they want to convince some normies to buy the game with an astroturfed IGN ad campaign on release.

Kurotri

they could reskin with minimal effort, leaving everything else the same.
Nah not enough. He's a main character. His entire story is related to him being the "black samurai". He's close to Oda Nobunaga. You'd have to significantly change the story, cutscenes and gameplay sections for any of this to work. Simply reskinning him into someone else doesn't work.

Kacho

Mixed Martial Arts Sport GIF by UFC

They aren't changing Yasuke. In fact, he's not what people are upset about. Ubisoft just wants to use him as a scapegoat so they can retort back and say gamers are racists.

People are upset because ubisoft went on a high horse about maintaining historical accuracy but in all their trailers there are numerous inaccuracies that just break immersion. It shows a major lack of understanding of the culture and time period they are supposed to portray.

It's like making a game about the Mayans but they keep mix matching elements from aztecs.

RCX

I wonder if the preview cycle was adding meat to the bones of the critique of the trailer.

Horses clipping etc, is it possible this thing is as buggy as Unity was at launch?

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

Makes sense. Big companies, no matter the industry, like to control the messege, and right now, UBI would be walking into a shitshow.

Bailing on everything public facing is actually a smart decision at the moment. Surprised they did it.

Kacho

I wonder if the preview cycle was adding meat to the bones of the critique of the trailer.

Horses clipping etc, is it possible this thing is as buggy as Unity was at launch?
I would fucking hope not. They had 4 years to work on it. Last game they did was Immortals Fenyx Rising.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They aren't changing Yasuke. In fact, he's not what people are upset about. Ubisoft just wants to use him as a scapegoat so they can retort back and say gamers are racists.

People are upset because ubisoft went on a high horse about maintaining historical accuracy but in all their trailers there are numerous inaccuracies that just break immersion. It shows a major lack of understanding of the culture and time period they are supposed to portray.

It's like making a game about the Mayans but they keep mix matching elements from aztecs.
Of course the game will be off regarding accuracy. UBI is wokeish to begin with and the game was made by UBI Quebec, based in Quebec City.

That area according to census reports is about 90% white, 4% black and 6% other minorities.

Chances of even 1 Japanese person hired at their office is low since there’s only about 500 Japanese people in the entire metro area of 800,000 people.

Last edited:
Are they so scared of controversies ruining launch?

It seems that the gaming industry has finally reached the point where publishers are realizing that certain forced choices not only do not bring good rep points anymore but they can actually be poison for the reception of their products.

A scarier case would be that they think a very vocal minority of gamers is determined to only accept games released with a singular character type. Talk about the end of gaming if that was the case.

GHG

A scarier case would be that they think a very vocal minority of gamers is determined to only accept games released with a singular character type. Talk about the end of gaming if that was the case.

And what would that singular character type be?

paolo11

Since we don't know the actual reason I'm going to go with the people in charge have realized just how half assed the "research" was and are going to bring in some actual experts to unfuck a lot of the ridiculously wrong stuff we already know about as well as stuff we don't. Yasuke ain't going anywhere though.

Probably the best they can do at this point.
The best way to do is the MGS 2 treatment. Make him the protagonist 1/4 or first 3 hours of the game, then change to a new protagonist. Only better.

Dr.Morris79

Its a fucking video game man...People need to start putting on their big boy pants and realize there are waay bigger things in the world to take offense over...For example I was at the beach the other day and this huge fatty had the nerve to wear a bikini....That's an image I won't soon forget.
Sir, this is a video game forum.

This won't affect the price of eggs. Infact, most egg buyers won't care.

Last edited:

kindaGoth

Neo Member
idk if it began sometime around the live action little mermaid or maybe The Marvels, but there has been an undeniable string of flops, across all entertainment industries of anything labeled “woke”.

Mattyp

Gold Member
-All we want is a Japanese cultured game about the Samurai

-Best we can do is a black guy, not technically a samurai slaughtering traditional Japanese people.

They’re going to learn today. The public’s opinion has been set, and trying to reverse the ship brings even more attention. There’s no saving it and this is going to cost them a shitload of money with the second bomb on their hands.

Right, so you can't even quantify whatever it is you're talking about. If you want to go down this road, just spit it out.

Nothing specific to clarify. I just can't stand limitations being placed on developers regarding the characters and/or stories they can tell. And on Gaf there are definitely some users that simply don't want some characters to exist in game worlds period, whether that is female lead characters, black characters, etc. It would be a really sad day for gaming if developers were constrained in that way. Not saying that is the case here, but just that it would be a scary thing to happen if developers could be influenced by that nonsense.

Hot damn. What the fuck is going on?
Could be something as simple as the demo not working right. But that's so boring, right? Better to pretend the entire company is collapsing.
Are they so scared of controversies ruining launch?

It seems that the gaming industry has finally reached the point where publishers are realizing that certain forced choices not only do not bring good rep points anymore but they can actually be poison for the reception of their products.
Ubisoft is a console developer, period. They don't care about PC players or the issues they have. To be fair, PC players don't care much about them since, if they did, they'd be getting a console to play their games. In either case, all these "forced choices" really only hurt PC players. The console experiences are just fine and rarely effected by any of this. The majority of their sales are console players so, no, all these evil practices are really only complained about by a small percentage of people while most just enjoy the games.

Last edited:

GHG

And on Gaf there are definitely some users that simply don't want some characters to exist in game worlds period, whether that is female lead characters, black characters, etc. It would be a really sad day for gaming if developers were constrained in that way. Not saying that is the case here, but just that it would be a scary thing to happen if developers could be influenced by that nonsense.

Sorry, but this is utter bullshit.

Well done on mischaracterising why the angst against this particular game exists. You've completely failed to read the situation at hand here.

Thief1987

Nothing specific to clarify. I just can't stand limitations being placed on developers regarding the characters and/or stories they can tell. And on Gaf there are definitely some users that simply don't want some characters to exist in game worlds period, whether that is female lead characters, black characters, etc. It would be a really sad day for gaming if developers were constrained in that way. Not saying that is the case here, but just that it would be a scary thing to happen if developers could be influenced by that nonsense.
How many people were opposed of Bayek being protagonist of Origin? No one, because it was absolutely natural for the setting. Maybe people angry because long anticipated game in Japan can't star, you know, japanese people? I doubt that anyone would have bat an eye if that yasuke or whatever his name would have been some side character. But no they need to pander hard, and now they are paying price for that.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Damn, those chuds are really going all-out lately!
I'm saying lol

We've had previews cancelled, we've had games delayed, that isn't some wild thing.

Thats like saying Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2 was delayed cause the MUST HAVE CAVED to my demands lol

No one, because it was absolutely natural for the setting

What about a Welsh person instead of a Caribbean person?

Or someone from Norway in France? lol

Suuuuurrrrre

GHG

How many people were opposed of Bayek being protagonist of Origin? No one, because it was absolutely natural for the setting. Maybe people angry because long anticipated game in Japan can't star, you know, japanese people? I doubt that anyone would have bat an eye if that yasuke or whatever his name would have been some side character. But no they need to pander hard, and now they are paying price for that.

No no, don't you see. GAF was also against female protagonists such as Eve from Stellar blade and Bayonetta. Everyone also hates CJ and Franklin from GTA.

It's such a moronic and myopic take that it's not even worth entertaining. Completely devoid of any kind of critical thinking.

simpatico

1 ounce of pushback and “oh dear god they’re going to make every lead character straight white man with no variation because that’s exactly what the Anti Shadows crowd is asking for”

Ubi must be finding out that the game is not good enough to overcome the “shortcomings”. Even with the controversy, if the gameplay was scalding hot fire they could just release it and everyone would move on. The new AC formula gameplay loop has degraded a little with every release since Origins, so I can only imagine this is a poorly cobbled together Valhalla mod. Ugh imagine the mush. Elden Ring and Tsushima dropped this year, so people have the good shit fresh in their minds.

Ubi must be finding out that the game is not good enough to overcome the “shortcomings”. Even with the controversy, if the gameplay was scalding hot fire they could just release it and everyone would move on. The new AC formula gameplay loop has degraded a little with every release since Origins, so I can only imagine this is a poorly cobbled together Valhalla mod. Ugh imagine the mush. Elden Ring and Tsushima dropped this year, so people have the good shit fresh in their minds.

True. The game is likely too rough around the edges in one way or another.

No no, don't you see. GAF was also against female protagonists such as Eve from Stellar blade and Bayonetta. Everyone also hates CJ and Franklin from GTA.

It's such a moronic and myopic take that it's not even worth entertaining. Completely devoid of any kind of critical thinking.

So, you're saying that when games get announced with female lead characters, there aren't users bemoaning the fact that the character is a woman in threads here? LOL

Happens every single time, especially early in threads when hardly anything is known about the game. I never said this was your opinion, or even the opinion of most posters, just that you do see it from some posters and it would be unfortunate if developers paid attention to any noise of that type.

I have zero interest in arguing with you, finish up your temper-tantrum on your own.

Last edited:

paolo11

So, you're saying that when games get announced with female lead characters, there aren't users bemoaning the fact that the character is a woman in threads here? LOL

Happens every single time, especially early in threads when hardly anything is known about the game. I never said this was your opinion, or even the opinion of most posters, just that you do see it from some posters and it would be unfortunate if developers paid attention to any noise of that type.

I have zero interest in arguing with you, finish up your temper-tantrum on your own.
Can you send me links that users in this forum complaining about female leads on a game? You did say happens every time so I need to see it

Top Bottom