• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson - Ubisoft has Cancelled Press Previews of Assassin's Creed Shadows Until Further Notice

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
So, you're saying that when games get announced with female lead characters, there aren't users bemoaning the fact that the character is a woman in threads here? LOL

Happens every single time, especially early in threads when hardly anything is known about the game.

I have zero interest in arguing with you, finish up your temper-tantrum on your own.

Its even funnier when he cherry picks a few games, while ignoring the games this place had threads going on pages talking about people's fucking chin sizes.

I don't care if someone supports this or not, we are not going to act as if that has never gone on here or some wild shit lol

Its like they are waiting until the next game to measure chin sizes on or something. Its not saying GHG GHG believes in this as I'd never just assume so, but I see no reason to act as if that doesn't go on here.

paolo11 paolo11 lol go take a look at them Control Threads measuring chin sizes lol

Can you send me links that users in this forum complaining about female leads on a game? You did say happens every time so I need to see it

Just look early in news threads about game announcements that feature female lead characters, there will certainly be posts there. Alan Wake 2 is one that comes to mind, there have been others. It will be less prevalent if the character is scantily clad. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Not that I have any issues with sexy characters (figured I cut off that retort in advance).

simpatico

How is it that EA doesn’t see this train barreling down the tracks? Do they really think they are the exception? I guess the delusion in the industry has really gotten that bad. It’s impossible to top Concord but I’m betting Shadows sells better than DAV. Unless it just bombs for gameplay reasons at review.

DeepSpace5D

I wouldn’t be surprised now that the SoP is over, that it’s because they do not want to be compared to Ghost of Yotei in any way shape or form. They don’t want that smoke.

Just my guess.

simpatico

So, you're saying that when games get announced with female lead characters, there aren't users bemoaning the fact that the character is a woman in threads here? LOL

Happens every single time, especially early in threads when hardly anything is known about the game. I never said this was your opinion, or even the opinion of most posters, just that you do see it from some posters and it would be unfortunate if developers paid attention to any noise of that type.

I have zero interest in arguing with you, finish up your temper-tantrum on your own.
Control didn’t get pushback. But then again it didn’t feel shoehorned at all. If RE9 has a female lead people would probably be happy. Code Veronica is the most requested remake. The problem arises when they make a strong handicapped single mother the breacher in a SWAT game. Even Forespoken, the beef was with the content of her character and not the gender or skin color. No one really cared that she was a broad, just that she was unbearably vapid. There are valid receipts on all of these.

paolo11

Just look early in news threads about game announcements that feature female lead characters, there will certainly be posts there. Alan Wake 2 is one that comes to mind, there have been others. It will be less prevalent if the character is scantily clad. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Not that I have any issues with sexy characters (figured I cut off that retort in advance).
Ah that’s fair. I thought you meant all games like Metroid too when some get mad Samus is the lead since she is female. My apologies for misunderstanding

lmimmfn

How is it that EA doesn’t see this train barreling down the tracks? Do they really think they are the exception? I guess the delusion in the industry has really gotten that bad. It’s impossible to top Concord but I’m betting Shadows sells better than DAV. Unless it just bombs for gameplay reasons at review.
Don't you worry, Papa EA is ready.

Ubisoft with Ghost of Yotei announced and Shadows delayed to 2025
y958NSE.gif

Last edited:

Killer8

I don't believe for a second they will be changing anything regarding Yasuke's inclusion. That is set in stone and too integrated into the plot to do anything about it at this stage. Nor do I think they really should - as much as it's worth criticizing from a historical perspective, much of that was down to how terribly it was revealed, marketed and defended by certain people. It's the team's vision for the game at the end of the day.

If they do delay, it will be to polish the absolute fuckton out of it and hopefully win people over with quality. Potentially I could see them firing their historical advisors and bringing in some who actually know what the fuck they're talking about. The Yasuke controversy is actually fairly easy to step over and just waive away as an interpretative spin on the real person's life, much like William in Nioh. But a lot of the Japanese criticism has also been leveled at the small details, like inaccuracies in architecture, customs and seasons. That kind of stuff is fairly easy to correct by doing a deep dive into every aspect of the game, but will take time.

Didn't Assassin's Creed Started out as some kind of Sci-Fi Matrix mind melding?

They can just say all the inaccuracies are just flaws in the simulation because the mind of the person they are diving into is an American who doesn't really know Japan. Or have they abandoned that excuse years ago?

They can just say all the inaccuracies are just flaws in the simulation because the mind of the person they are diving into is an American who doesn't really know Japan. Or have they abandoned that excuse years ago?

That wouldn't fly because it's the ancestors of the person in the Animus, somebody who actually lived in that era.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
- replace Yasuke

- cause another shitstorm as the progressive legacy gaming media and vocal minority of slacktivists lose their shit

- ignore the whiners

- get rewarded with massive sales #s despite sites like PC Gamer, IGN, and Kotaku trashing it or refusing to even cover it.

Yeahhh probably not gonna happen but that would be a hell of a show.
It's what they should do, though...

Emedan

I mean, the game is actually riddled with bugs and glitches, judging from the last trailer alone.
Yeah this is fair, they couldn't even make a trailer that wasn't riddle with it - can't even imagine how bad it must be if you let someone just roam freely in it (though we can't forget unity and they had no problem releasing that in its state).
Amazing isn't it, people have been asking for Japanese AC for years.

All they had to do was ninjas and samurais, it'd make everyone happy and it'd sell great.

But no, they had to kneel at the alter of the DEI gods instead.
It's such a no brainer as well. Pretty much every other culture they've explored lacked actual historical president, Japan didn't - Shinobi was the perfect fit, always has been and they cocked it up lmao.

Last edited:
They need to push it back - those of us who paid money for Outlaws are unlikely to jump on this at launch. Add a proper Japanese ninja dude and get experts about Japanese culture on board - fix the jank, they might then have a hit on their hands.

I think the people making it were so ignorant they just thought Japanese people were white and they could fuck around with their culture - like when they got Charles Dickens and Florence Nightingale yucking it up, and chucked in a bit of Churchill and Jack the Ripper. Not so.

GHG

Happens every single time, especially early in threads when hardly anything is known about the game. I never said this was your opinion, or even the opinion of most posters, just that you do see it from some posters and it would be unfortunate if developers paid attention to any noise of that type.

Yes, you run away from this discussion like a good little boy, that doesn't fit the profile at all.

If you actually bothered to read the discourse that takes place people often talk about why they are aggrieved with female protagonists in certain instances and why they are aggrieved with the race of characters in certain circumstances. But don't let that get in the way of you attempting to be reductive and mischaracterise what's happening.

As always, it's far easier to try and throw everyone in a particular "naughty" box than it is to dig deep and attempt to understand what is happening.

I would ask you why you think it would be unfortunate if devs were to start listening to these discussions, but considering you clearly haven't even attempted to understand why these discussions are taking place any answer you give is unlikely to be well thought out and sincere.

On that note, I won't keep you any longer. There's a new high profile female protagonist for you to blindly defend and white knight for.

Lets Go Run GIF by The Big Blow Out

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Looks like a delay is on the cards. Disappointing but I’m willing to wait till next year to get a more polished game.

Shit happens. Don’t think they will go and change the race of the character though. This is likely an issue with polish and bugs.
The game probably has an utterly retarded a.i. like Outlaws and they probably don't want another Azmongold video highlighting the attrocities.

Aurelius

Ubisoft is too big, slow and cowardly to make any drastic changes. They will probably polish the graphics a bit here and there. But a shiny turd is still a turd. The people who could actually make a good game long ago left the company. What's left are activist and DEI hires.
Would have been doa in november, and even more so in 2025 if they have to compete with Ghost of Yotei.

Last edited:

GHG

Its like they are waiting until the next game to measure chin sizes on or something. Its not saying GHG GHG believes in this as I'd never just assume so, but I see no reason to act as if that doesn't go on here.

You know, it would be far easier if western developers didn't take it upon themselves to strip all the feminine features away from the models they are supposed to be working with on these games, but I guess that doesn't factor in to your thinking at all.

Braag

Most likely a delay. If this bombs like Outlaws did, I feel like there will be massive layoffs and downscaling within Ubisoft.
I just don't think they can turn this ship around anymore, people rejected a black samurai in feudal Japan as.the lead hero and at this point it's too late to start changing protagonists

EDMIX

You know, it would be far easier if western developers didn't take it upon themselves to strip all the feminine features away from the models they are supposed to be working with on these games, but I guess that doesn't factor in to your thinking at all.

Christ man, I don't fucking care, my point is merely that folks on here made threads about it

Thus, clearly that idea exist here.

Culture war with yourself over this shit man.

edit. Just added you to ignore man, this shit isn't that serious. Crying over pixels and chin sizes and shit smh

Last edited:

GHG

Christ man, I don't fucking care, my point is merely that folks on here made threads about it

Thus, clearly that idea exist here.

Culture war with yourself over this shit man.

edit. Just added you to ignore man, this shit isn't that serious. Crying over pixels and chin sizes and shit smh

If it "isn't serious" then why are you taking it upon yourself to cry about people discussing it? Why do you pop up in these threads like Baghdad Bob attempting to defend the situations at hand?

Whenever you guys who love to try and blindly defend what is going on are questioned about it in a way that makes you have to think, you always cower and run away. Why is that? What is this phenomenon?

Sharius

Neo Member
image at one point in past ubisoft think they will has the best comeback in 2024 with both starwar and AC, then someone decide to go against what people that would buy your game want and give it to these twitter activists

Trilobit

So the hiphop music is there because of the white dude's racial stereotypes of black people?

Beacause they will annonce a new 2D Rayman with a 4K collection of the old games? Right? A new Speed Devil? A Might and Magic 4K collection? A Prince of Persia 1 & 2 4K collection? A Child Of Light 2? Even a new Chessmaster would be awesome!

Astray

Took like 4 posts in the ghost of yotei thread for the complaining to start lmfao.

EDMIX

Took like 4 posts in the ghost of yotei thread for the complaining to start lmfao.
not shocked.

Nothing is allowed apparently. They'll find something to bash.

I love how Ubisoft thinks the right strategy in 2024 is just to ignore the controversy hoping it will go away.
I'm not sure they are ignoring it as they did respond regarding it, for all you know they will again.

I don't think they should change anything as this controversy sounds really forced. Like a bias where anything they'll change a new goal post will be made, as in its not a genuine thing.

I think the actual real legit issues should be addressed and the rest should be ignored.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Imo, they will make different skins for booth sexes, sell it as "this was always the plan and the marketing material was simply done using one certain skin" and delete the whole "black samurai" story to make it fit any skin selected. They have no spine, and do whatever it takes to not get Concord'ed.
Absolutely no chance for this to happen.

Last edited:
Interesting perspectives in here…

On the delay, it’s too late to shift things significantly at this point. At best the studio will take the extra time to correct the plethora of historical inaccuracies. Well, that and polish things like crazy until launch. Ubisoft have a terrible track record with bugs, the latest example was the bug ridden SW Outlaws game that released not so long ago.

On the black protagonist. For me, I consider the sentiment if such a concept was applied to my own culture. Would I be insulted if someone made a game about a black guy running around ancient Scotland butchering my ancestors? I think so. This is considerably worse considering the current epidemic of Black on Asian crime in the West. Ubisoft are so intent on DEI and pandering that they have insulted an entire nation whilst taking advantage of their history. The decision to go with a black protagonist in this game has to go down as one of the most ignorant, tone deaf and deeply offensive decisions in gaming history.

Ubisoft deserve their fate.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Interesting perspectives in here…

On the delay, it’s too late to shift things significantly at this point. At best the studio will take the extra time to correct the plethora of historical inaccuracies. Well, that and polish things like crazy until launch. Ubisoft have a terrible track record with bugs, the latest example was the bug ridden SW Outlaws game that released not so long ago.

On the black protagonist. For me, I consider the sentiment if such a concept was applied to my own culture. Would I be insulted if someone made a game about a black guy running around ancient Scotland butchering my ancestors? I think so. This is considerably worse considering the current epidemic of Black on Asian crime in the West. Ubisoft are so intent on DEI and pandering that they have insulted an entire nation whilst taking advantage of their history. The decision to go with a black protagonist in this game has to go down as one of the most ignorant, tone deaf and deeply offensive decisions in gaming history.

Ubisoft deserve their fate.
Same, big massive black dude running around ancient Ireland killing all us wee pasty white ginger fuckers would definitely garner a stern look and a hard pass from me.. I mean, i get the whole introduce us to the world through the eyes of a foreigner angle... but fuck me, we've had japanese culture around for ages, we've all seen Shogun, we know they were badass and somewhat fucking bonkers so we didn't need any more introduction to their way of life, just give us a cool local protagonist and let us loose on Ancient Japan, how fucking hard was that to do!? You could've made the black dude a DLC ffs..

Anyways when they get around to setting an Assassins creed game in Africa, it'll be interesting to see who'll we'll play as...

Last edited:

Stafford

That's......interesting. I was looking forward to giving this a shot, probably via Ubi+ first. But I guess a delay could be around the corner now then?

Rising_Hei

I don't want to sound mean, but the new Sucker Punch game looks x100 times better and it respects Japanese history.
Now they have competition, they aren't alone in this game, and they can't' do as they please.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ubishit has invested at least $200 million into this game and primed this to be one of the big titles of the generation for them, if not the big title. They desperately need a hit. So, what is going on here? This is totally bizarre. There has to be a reason.

Camreezie

I wouldn’t be surprised now that the SoP is over, that it’s because they do not want to be compared to Ghost of Yotei in any way shape or form. They don’t want that smoke.

Just my guess.
I also reckon its this
Same, big massive black dude running around ancient Ireland killing all us wee pasty white ginger fuckers would definitely garner a stern look and a hard pass from me.. I mean, i get the whole introduce us to the world through the eyes of a foreigner angle... but fuck me, we've had japanese culture around for ages, we've all seen Shogun, we know they were badass and somewhat fucking bonkers so we didn't need any more introduction to their way of life, just give us a cool local protagonist and let us loose on Ancient Japan, how fucking hard was that to do!? You could've made the black dude a DLC ffs..

Anyways when they get around to setting an Assassins creed game in Africa, it'll be interesting to see who'll we'll play as...
Assassins Creed Origins was set in Egypt( in Africa)

Bernardougf

Not a chance. That would be death sentences or wise. But what they may do is a quick run through of the gave and switch out things here and there that we don't even know about.
And wheres the logic in that ? Why cancel previews and events to change something we wont even know about ?

If something is changing than it has to be something big .. if nothing big is changing then why this charade so close to launch...

Well... bugs I dont believe either... companys are beyong that and just release shit to be patched later , its common practice now.

If the game gets delayed then we will know they are changing major things imho... if not, if its just a regroup for marketing purposes than ok, its staying as it is.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
And wheres the logic in that ? Why cancel previews and events to change something we wont even know about ?

If something is changing than it has to be something big .. if nothing big is changing then why this charade so close to launch...

Well... bugs I dont believe either... companys are beyong that and just release shit to be patched later , its common practice now.

If the game gets delayed then we will know they are changing major things imho... if not, if its just a regroup for marketing purposes than ok, its staying as it is.

Previews would show what we don't know about. 😵‍💫

Nah not enough. He's a main character. His entire story is related to him being the "black samurai". He's close to Oda Nobunaga. You'd have to significantly change the story, cutscenes and gameplay sections for any of this to work. Simply reskinning him into someone else doesn't work.
You’re naive if you actually think they'll write his character as a black outcast freak.

He's just going to be a normal dude, though you're right about reskinning.

All I'm saying is, when the fuck has ubisoft written a compelling story?

Serious question, if they wanted to replace him they could without changing the story, it's always been historical fiction anyways...... Until now for, reasons.

Yasuke could have been a cool side character to work with, but he was a ridiculous choice for protagonist.

Bernardougf

Previews would show what we don't know about. 😵‍💫
Yeah maybe ... thats why I said it may be just a marketing move... but a very strange one ... canceling previews this late ?? Canceling an show appearance? ... its bizarre...well lets wait and see this shit show unfolding

Games of late have been shit but the drama happening sure is entertaining

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I also reckon its this

Assassins Creed Origins was set in Egypt( in Africa)
Egyptians don't consider themselves African tbf, just cause Canada exists on the same North American continent as the US they don't call themselves American my good chap. Also Origins was a fantastic game in the series with an Egyptian lead, i'm thinking more the Kingdoms of Kush, Mali, Namibians etc, Africa has an absolute wealth of history pre colonial days that would make for some great stories and settings in the Assassins series

Japan always seemed like a "break glass in case of emergency" setting for Assassin's Creed because it was so obvious, but they waited too long and had their lunch eaten by Sucker Punch, and now coming off of a very successful classic styled AC they are going back to the gigantic bloated pseudo-RPG game with two radical changes that aren't sitting well with a lot of fans, completely nuking the modern day and playing as a real historical figure for the first time outside of a DLC. On top of that it's the first game in the new nebulous and slightly nefarious sounding Infinity GaaS framing .

So yeah, what should've been a slam dunk is now a gigantic uphill battle for Ubisoft.

Top Bottom