• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tonight, the Senate votes on four gun control bills [update: everything failed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This congress has demonstrated repeatedly that they're completely incompetent. Don't like? Vote. In. The. Fucking. Midterms.

It will help when lazy-ass young people bother to vote. One or more of these may have passed if dems didn't essentially hand over control of congress to the GOP.
Yeah, but I'm not excited about voting. I won't vote unless it's exciting.

In case you're wondering that's sarcasm, I haven't missed a single federal election since I turned 18. And that mindset is a fucking cancer on our society.

Link

The Autumn Wind
This congress has demonstrated repeatedly that they're completely incompetent. Don't like? Vote. In. The. Fucking. Midterms.
As expected.

This was nothing more than a play by Democrats to have this situation fresh in voters' minds in November.

commedieu

Banned
Gun control dead in Senate until the Democrats manage to take it back.

Please be sure to vote this year and in all midterm elections, folks.

This midterm excuse is getting old. Very old. The problem with our system is that it is hijacked by lobbying. Full stop. The people's candidates will generally not be heard over the dollars offered to campaigns or other special treatment from these industries. Midterms aren't deciding who sits in the seats, those decisions are made by the NRA's, for example, infinite support of X candidate. Which doesn't even look to be that much $. These candidates are selling out for bullshit amounts of money. Just greedy bastards.

As expected.

This was nothing more than a play by Democrats to have this situation fresh in voters' minds in November.
GendoIkari.jpg

Everything is going according to plan, Ikari.

Wilsongt

This midterm excuse is getting old. Very old. The problem with our system is that it is hijacked by lobbying. Full stop. The people's candidates will generally not be heard over the dollars offered to campaigns or other special treatment from these industries. Midterms aren't deciding who sits in the seats, those decisions are made by the NRA's, for example, infinite support of X candidate. Which doesn't even look to be that much $. These candidates are selling out for bullshit amounts of money. Just greedy bastards.

Voter turnout for Democrats during midterms has always been low. They only getting excited during presidential years, and that is when they have the most gains. No, the midterm blight is not bullshit. Look at 2010, then Democrat gain in 2012, them their huge loss on 2014 when they ran away from Obama.

Yeah... mid-terms are a perfectly legitimate excuse. Yes, lobbying is a massive issue, but the fact that the GOP has both chambers of Congress is an issue. I'm not sure all four of these bills fail with a Democrat controlled Senate.

antonz

Lobbying needs to be defeated to ensure progress. CNN even points out one of the bills voted down today had a 90% support rating from Republican voters which was even higher than the support for it among democrats.

At this point it is Government bought by Corporations that outright ignores what the people state they want.

Anarky

Banned
Does a shooting need to actually happen on the Senate Floor to make these fuckers even consider "Oh let's have some basic ass gun control."!?

commedieu

Banned
Voter turnout for Democrats during midterms has always been low. They only getting excited during presidential years, and that is when they have the most gains. No, the midterm blight is not bullshit. Look at 2010, then Democrat gain in 2012, them their huge loss on 2014 when they ran away from Obama.

Yeah... mid-terms are a perfectly legitimate excuse. Yes, lobbying is a massive issue, but the fact that the GOP has both chambers of Congress is an issue. I'm not sure all four of these bills fail with a Democrat controlled Senate.

This is all said as if Democrats aren't lobbied either? Hillary has the most dollars being contributed to her campaign by the defense industries/arms dealers. Again, voting and voting alone, while these people can be bought just replace 1 miserable statistic for another one isn't a solution. I'm not enjoying this democratic continuation of a 'war' in the middle east, loss of our rights via terrorism propaganda, NSA is openly spying on every single one of us, the millions of displaced people, or drone programs that give 0 shits about civilian casualties. Or the 600 billion authorized for a war when we can't even have healthcare.

We need to stop this process of hijacking from being possible to address our addiction to guns in the United states. Even these measures from Dems are watered down horse shit that are not attempting to attack the root cause of gun violence in our country. Just bandaids. If these all passed, we'd still have random white guys shooting up churches or schools with legally obtained weapons. These aren't realistically reducing the number of weapons in the USA, nor are they combined with attacking our mental healthcare problems in the country.

Sitting back and pretending that more dems voting in midterms = gun control is delusional at best.

Lobbying needs to be defeated to ensure progress. CNN even points out one of the bills voted down today had a 90% support rating from Republican voters which was even higher than the support for it among democrats.

At this point it is Government bought by Corporations that outright ignores what the people state they want.

Exactly.

Otnopolit

This is so fucking depressing. And just seeing the rhetoric of unfactual bullshit coming from people steeped in both parties highlights just how hateful we've become.

Wilsongt

This is all said as if Democrats aren't lobbied either? Hillary has the most dollars being contributed to her campaign by the defense industries/arms dealers. Again, voting and voting alone, while these people can be bought just replace 1 miserable statistic for another one isn't a solution. I'm not enjoying this democratic continuation of a 'war' in the middle east, loss of our rights via terrorism propaganda, NSA is openly spying on every single one of us, the millions of displaced people, or drone programs that give 0 shits about civilian casualties. Or the 600 billion authorized for a war when we can't even have healthcare.

We need to stop this process of hijacking from being possible to address our addiction to guns in the United states. Even these measures from Dems are watered down horse shit that are not attempting to attack the root cause of gun violence in our country. Just bandaids. If these all passed, we'd still have random white guys shooting up churches or schools with legally obtained weapons. These aren't realistically reducing the number of weapons in the USA, nor are they combined with attacking our mental healthcare problems in the country.

Sitting back and pretending that more dems voting in midterms = gun control is delusional at best.

Exactly.

I want to see those receipts about being her biggest contributor from the gun lobby.

Jobbs

Banned
well then.

I wish I could say I was surprised, but as I've been telling everyone -- Nothing will ever happen on guns for at least the next generation. We need old people to die.

Quixzlizx

Exactly.

This post is just a really verbose "Both sides are the same!"

Wilsongt

I have no words for this fuckery that went on tonight. Too many Democrats broke to side with the GOP for no good goddamn reason.

commedieu

Banned
I want to see those receipts about being her biggest contributor from the gun lobby.

Said defense industry..https://www.publicintegrity.org/201...tor-employees-give-most-money-hillary-clinton

This post is just a really verbose "Both sides are the same!"

Both sides are lobbied to death, the sooner we all grasp this concept, the sooner we can fix it. I voted bernie last minute. As I knew hillary was going to take california, but I have no misconceptions about whose pocket she is in.

The American public has no representation in politics. Who wants to be at war, be spied on, or kill droves of civillians world wide? I don't. I also don't want to bail out bankers that robbed all of us. Yet, we are here. Don't try to paint me as a "Both sides are the same." when I am talking about specific lobbying and our political system as it stands today. The Democratic offerings are nonsense as far as stopping tragedies like Orlando or Sandy Hook, or any of them. We've got very specific problems that have specific answers, the dems or the reps don't want to go down that road.

Quixzlizx

commedieu

Banned
lol, and Bernie was second.

And defense contractors are not the same as the gun manufacturers who make up the NRA.

Edit: Also, it was employees of the companies, not the companies themselves. Unless you think there's some sort of conspiracy going on that included executives strong-arming employees into supporting both Clinton and Sanders?

Defense contractors like G4S are running around murdering people. Omar Mateen was a recent incident of the contractors that have free will in other nations. No, much like Goldman Sachs sponsoring Obama/Mitt. They hedge their bets because they've got all of our money. Its no different than creating wars for Halliburton to reap the benifit of. You destroy a nation, the people can't protect themselves, thus the rise of defense contracts, and their main cheerleader, Hillary Clinton.

Try again.

Quixzlizx

Defense contractors like G4S are running around murdering people. Omar Mateen was a recent incident of the contractors that have free will in other nations. No, much like Goldman Sachs sponsoring Obama/Mitt. They hedge their bets because they've got all of our money.

Try again.

Try again, what? You're like a certain person who just endlessly repeats his stump speech without actually answering anything. And why would Bernie be second if they were hedging? And you still haven't answered what this has to do with gun control bills?

Wilsongt

Try again, what? You're like a certain person who just endlessly repeats his stump speech without actually answering anything. And why would Bernie be second if they were hedging? And you still haven't answered what this has to do with gun control bills?

Shhh. No need to attack Bernie supporters. I will never understand the Hillary hate, but everyone has their own perspective and opinion.

commedieu

Banned
Try again, what? You're like a certain person who just endlessly repeats his stump speech without actually answering anything.

You must have missed when you wrote about an alleged conspiracy. There isn't one. You also claimed that I said both parties are the same without any qualifiers like lobbying. Specifically by people interested in continued violence as they benefit from it. Contractors all need weapons, although they manage to bake people to death without them.

My point is that democrats are lobbied, just as republicans are when it comes to industries that rely on violence to thrive. That is the voices they listen to, not the people on the ground. As we see 90% of republicans were in favor of the gun control bills, yet, you see the lobbying took precedence over the voice of the people. This is the same for democrats, and its a problem with our political system currently. For any gun control to happen, we need to work on getting that element out of the equation. Else its all just fluff for twitter hits.

What it has to do with gun control bills, is that the bills offered from the Democrats would have had little to no effect on the ease of access to weapons used in mass shootings. They were nonsense bills used to show how bad the republicans are for november, as others have said. So there are our representatives, still not doing fuck all to address the issue.

Wilsongt

You must have missed when you wrote about an alleged conspiracy. There isn't one. You also claimed that I said both parties are the same without any qualifiers like lobbying. Specifically by people interested in continued violence as they benefit from it. Contractors all need weapons, although they manage to bake people to death without them.

My point is that democrats are lobbied, just as republicans are when it comes to industries that rely on violence to thrive. That is the voices they listen to, not the people on the ground. As we see 90% of republicans were in favor of the gun control bills, yet, you see the lobbying took precedence over the voice of the people. This is the same for democrats, and its a problem with our political system currently. For any gun control to happen, we need to work on getting that element out of the equation. Else its all just fluff for twitter hits.

I am sure less Democrats are lobbied by the NRA compared to the GOP.

I need to try to think more rationally, but right now I'm having a real hard time seeing the difference between the two. In the end, neither know how to run a government or take care of their people.

I'm just pretty damn frustrated at this outcome.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
...so what exactly is the standard for being on the no-fly or "watch-list?" If there's no standard to be put on the list other than someone arbitrarily puts you on it, it doesn't even sound constitutional to ban people on those lists from purchasing firearms.

...so what exactly is the standard for being on the no-fly or "watch-list?" If there's no standard to be put on the list other than someone arbitrarily puts you on it, it doesn't even sound constitutional to ban people on those lists from purchasing firearms.
You're not allowed to know because it would divulge sensitive counterterrorism strategies to the public.

commedieu

Banned

Definitely. That is a fact. But you still see the fear from taking on the NRA with the pathetic proposals the democrats have offered, as the reality is no one wants to make waves with weapons in the united states. Due to the power of lobbies. If that power wasn't on the table, we'd have meaningful laws suggested to actually reduce gun violence. These proposals are window dressing. The notion that democrats are going to usher in change as far as the business of guns in a pro-capitalism\controlled government is a hard sell. Especially with the offerings we see today. Midterm voting isn't going to change this. Just as the opinion of republicans didn't change their voted representations actions today.

This isn't a pissing contest, and this isn't a time to lol @ a bernie supporter. our government is literally broken right now. Enough of this team nonsense. The democrats are in the business of war, just as republicans are. The democrats are in the business of private prisons, just as republicans are. The democrats have been mum on police violence, just as republicans have. We are witnessing no efforts for change from our voted representation because that change is going to affect some industries bottom line.

SeanC

As expected, most straight down party lines. Not much I can do, pretty blue state I'm in and I vote Dem pretty much every time.

Quixzlizx

The qualifier about lobbying doesn't make the argument any more nuanced, since if both sides are lobbied to the point that they're under control of the same entity, then they are essentially both the same. Should I have said "Both sides have been corrupted to be the same!" to not misrepresent you?

And if you want a consistent Democratic majority in the Senate that can confirm justices who are willing to support stronger campaign finance laws, then you need to vote in midterms. Unless you think that both sides are the same, which is a good excuse not to bother.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You're not allowed to know because it would divulge sensitive counterterrorism strategies to the public.

So basically the government can bar you from engaging in a constitutionally-protected right because "reasons." Sounds legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom