• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD |OT| LIGHTS OUT, GUERILLA RADI... oh (28k)

I'm buying this tomorrow. I loved the original Tony Hawk trilogy of games, and for $15 it seems like a fun trip down memory lane, with modernized graphics.

Personally I never played this game in split screen, and I never created a skater, so I've got no complaints. If I buy the first DLC pack in a month for $5, I'll have paid $20 for 10 maps. Seems like a decent deal to me.

SkylineRKR

Its $15, but except for graphics it sounds a fair bit worse than the original version of TH2. Have to wait for PSN but i'm not so sure if I'm gonna bite.

waypoetic

Banned
Considering how long you gotta wait for Sony to drop the prices on some games on PSN i guess i'll just cave in and buy it at release. Hopefully us plussers will get a discount.

brettreyu

Only 1 song from THPS 1?

No split screen?

My memories for the series are almost exclusive to THPS 1's soundtrack and split screen.

Might pick it up but that's still quite a bummer.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I had no idea they nixed the created skater. Why even bother with this game? Customizing the stats / special moves to get crazy high scores was pretty much the only reason I even played the game well past 100% unlocked.

waypoetic

Banned
I had no idea they nixed the created skater. Why even bother with this game? Customizing the stats / special moves to get crazy high scores was pretty much the only reason I even played the game well past 100% unlocked.

Agreed. I never played as either Koston, Hawkman etc.. Always created my own skater.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Because it's a downloadable game and how many downloadable, 3d games do you know of with create a character?

//B1G

Banned
Whoa, sweet front flip bro!!!
The hell, this is not what fans of the originals (aka me) wanted. THPS2 had minimal airtime which I loved. You could barely ollie over a picnic table, let alone do the stupid crazy stuff they've allowed now. Guess I'll just stick to emulating the best. I like the retro graphics better than this UE shit anyway.

The hell, this is not what fans of the originals (aka me) wanted. THPS2 had minimal airtime which I loved. You could barely ollie over a picnic table, let alone do the stupid crazy stuff they've allowed now. Guess I'll just stick to emulating the best. I like the retro graphics better than this UE shit anyway.

What? My repeated 1080 Benihanas have something to say to you.

wtf are you on about? Maybe you turned on high gravity and lowered all your stats or something?

HTuran

A lot of the physics confusion is from how much stats effect everything. At the beginning, you can barely ollie, at the end you can leap small buildings.

I think the most damning thing about this game is how unenthusiastic Gerstmann is about it. Still, I'll give it a shot when in launches for PS3.

//B1G

Banned
wtf are you on about? Maybe you turned on high gravity and lowered all your stats or something?

nahh, i remember barely being able to kickflip the railing on the leap of death. you could hardly make it over where the stairs curve. idk, i like playing realistically.
i don't like going for huge combos, i like finding real life spots and doing tricks real people would do over them, so they went in the wrong direction when redoing the physics.

also unfortunately you can't lower your stats once you increase them :(

nahh, i remember barely being able to kickflip the railing on the leap of death. you could hardly make it over where the stairs curve. idk, i like playing realistically.
i don't like going for huge combos, i like finding real life spots and doing tricks real people would do over them.

Yeah I understand what you're saying but I think you either used a skater that had bad ollie/air stats or you had some codes on...

Sim Mode perhaps?

They said it would sacrifice too much time and therefore quality.
that doesn't make the game rushed. a games 'time' is budget in manhours. if the game was higher budget you'd have more manhours in the development time. this is probably budgeted like an XBLA title rather than a full retail titles. expecting the game to have all the features of a full retail title is probably expecting a bit much.

//B1G

Banned
also unfortunately you can't lower your stats once you increase them :(

Yeah I understand what you're saying but I think you either used a skater that had bad ollie/air stats or you had some codes on...

Sim Mode perhaps?

Oh yeah now you've reminded me of what was probably the cause, I always played with mini mode on, that might have made the difference. I couldn't stand how big the regular models were so basically since I got the game I played with that code enabled. Once you play it like that for a while they all look like giants otherwise. Everything is more to scale when you play that way too I think.

jyoung188

Some trailer for Koston skating in the Hangar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u4B3pNjUeY&feature=plcp

Fuck yeah I'm hyped. I played so much THPS back in the day, I played every game up until that stupid skateboard peripheral and then I got super into EA's Skate series.

I don't mind the ridiculous physics but after I beat the game with everyone I would always go back and try and skate as realistically as possible, so when Skate came out it was like a dream come true. I still play Skate 3 every few days, but I could go for some ridiculous skating since its been so long :)

It's weird seeing Nike SB's in THPS 1 though haha.

Cheddahz

Banned
Woot, I'm getting the money to get this tomorrow on Xbox! If anyone else gets it here, we should play online or something

The first Tony Hawk game was a revelation, for myself and for many others. That game and its sequel are the reason that I bought a Dreamcast back in the day. Meanwhile, the third and fourth games together spent more hours in my PlayStation 2 drive tray than any other title. I know my Tony Hawk, I love my Tony Hawk… and given all of that, I can’t in good conscience recommend THIS Tony Hawk. The pieces are still there and they’re looking great; it’s just a shame that the game doesn’t play nearly as well as it could or should.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/bailing-hard-in-our-tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-review/

6/10

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD is a fun game for old fans to revisit their PlayStation and Nintendo 64 memories. Sure, the original Tony Hawk games have strayed from what they originally set out to artistically accomplish, but Activision’s loving recreation of the original proves they still know what fans want… it just took them a while to catch on. Classic levels, amazing gameplay, and nostalgia through the roof come together well, and while it isn’t perfect, the HD remake of the classic title is welcome on my console any time, and I can’t wait for the DLC.

http://stevivor.com/review/tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd/

The complaints in the 6/10 review don't really bother me. His main complaints seem to be that it doesn't have reverts and you can't control the camera.

These complaints about the physics/gameplay being different, and not in a good way is concerning.

It was something I was worried about, and sure as shit complaints have been mentioned more than once already.

that doesn't make the game rushed. a games 'time' is budget in manhours. if the game was higher budget you'd have more manhours in the development time. this is probably budgeted like an XBLA title rather than a full retail titles. expecting the game to have all the features of a full retail title is probably expecting a bit much.

I don't see how splitscreen or horse is expecting a full retail title and "a bit too much" when it was in the original game they were supposed to be redoing.

Without wanting to sound harsh, who really cares what a couple of nobody reviewers are saying? Any GAFer could give just as valid an opinion and we'll have hundreds of them in around 12 hours!

SmokyDave

Really looking forward to this. My only gripe is that I'd slice a dolphin's fin off to have it on Vita instead. Would've been sooooo gooooooood.

Gowans

I think I started to play at 3 (2001 ish on xbox) but man I hammered it. I wonder if the lack of revert will register as I haven't played since things got weird round THUG.

Anyway I loved old TH too much for this not to be an insta buy, think I must have played that series more than any other game.

I was way into Tiger Woods back then too, man how times have changed.

Lace

I was really excited when I saw this thread until I read how stripped it is feature wise. Makes me hope they put out the original games on PSN as well.

Since when HD remasters offer less content than the original titles? Ugh. DLC for a HD remaster? Double ugh.

It isn't a remaster. Remasters are games from last generation running in a higher resolution. This is basically a greatest hits remake of some of the popular levels from the first two THPS games.

waypoetic

Banned
So i watched GB's quick look and i'm agreeing alot with Jeff on the con-parts of the game, what they didn't include and the execution etc. I think i'm just going to find a cheap copy of Skate 3 instead.

S1kkZ

It isn't a remaster. Remasters are just games from last generation running in a higher resolution. This is basically a greatest hits remake of some of the popular levels from the first two THPS games.
this. Surprised that most people don't get this. Its basically a fundament which will be expanded with dlc. In the end, we will maybe have a complete thps best-of compilation. Can't say I am super happy with it but I take it over the ride games.

Top Bottom