• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD |OT| LIGHTS OUT, GUERILLA RADI... oh (28k)

the revert doesn't just serve that purpose though. the manual gives a serious advantage to street skaters. i saw the revert as a way of uniting both playstyles.
i dunno, i've always felt like the street approach to a huge combo requires more skill than the aerial approach. i remember my friends trying to find the perfect lines through the all the different levels in THPS2, whereas in 3, it was more often the case of 'remember where there's a half pipe', if you get what i mean. i mean, that wasn't the case for *every* level. Airport was very grind centric with hardly any quarterpipes or half pipes to cheese point goals in... but you couldn't just use two bits of the environment with a street approach to hit those high scores as you could after they added the revert with aerial style.

Alchemy

i dunno, i've always felt like the street approach to a huge combo requires more skill than the aerial approach. i remember my friends trying to find the perfect lines through the all the different levels in THPS2, whereas in 3, it was more often the case of 'remember where there's a half pipe', if you get what i mean. i mean, that wasn't the case for *every* level. Airport was very grind centric with hardly any quarterpipes or half pipes to cheese point goals in... but you couldn't just use two bits of the environment with a street approach to hit those high scores as you could after they added the revert with aerial style.

Even in THPS3 I remember grinding like a mother fucker for score. I think it was Rio where you could basically grind indefinitely in a oval around the stage. Revert never seemed like a very good equalizer, but it was nice in how it connected play styles.

Even in THPS3 I remember grinding like a mother fucker for score. I think it was Rio where you could basically grind indefinitely in a oval around the stage. Revert never seemed like a very good equalizer, but it was nice in how it connected play styles.

maybe it was just my friends that found a suitably sized half pipe and cheesed it. i know i didn't change my play style really.

The_Lump

Banned
I'm so happy about this. Those screenshots brought back slot of good memories, lol.

Are all the original skaters in? Bob Burnquists samba-flip to dark slide is how I role.

gurudyne

Venice Beach, one of my favorite looking levels from 2, looks...different. I might come around on it, but gut says "Why's it so yellow? '90s beach skating should take place under an ideal blue summer sky, dammit!"

And that video feels off in the movements somehow. Can't put finger on it. Will probably pay full price to show support, but may wait for decent cosmetic mods before any real playtime.

Venice Beach, one of my favorite looking levels from 2, looks...different. I might come around on it, but gut says "Why's it so yellow? '90s beach skating should take place under an ideal blue summer sky, dammit!"

I agree. The color palette for that level was much better on the original.

First dip into this thread, saw July 18th for XBL and was all like **** yeah, I do believe I'll pick that up!

And then (and obviously old news to you guys).... no split screen AND no horse?

785hM.gif

EYEL1NER

Good luck playing THPS with an analog stick.
lol
Not like it's a difficult task. The series has had analog support since the first game and has no problems being played with sticks.

Analog sticks haven't ever held me back from being a Virtual Skateboarding God.

a little disappointed they left out some features but I could care less about splitscreen. I am still getting this and the addition of online will be nice. All of you saying your going to get or find your old copies of the game have fun not playing online with the updated graphics...no thanks

are some of you forgetting that this is a $15 game?? not going to break the bank fellas.

gdt

Damn, a lot of good left out....

Thinking hard on picking this up now or waiting for the pc version.

S1kkZ

Is there a review embargo?
I have no problem with the stuff they left out, except the revert. Fucking stupid. Then please also no manual in the thps 1 levels.

Slightly Altered Physics
Having recently played Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2 on my old PSOne and then playing this game, I noticed that the physics have been altered and not for the better. The controls have stayed the same as aforementioned but some parts of the game feel a bit off. This remake tries to feel a bit more realistic and it’s harder to gain a lot of height even though I increased the stats on Tony Hawk. It’s also slightly harder to land from big drops and there have been numerous times Tony Hawk would fall from just a few meters high from a ramp. It’s something you may have to get used to if you’re accustomed to the physics from the older games.

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD is a fun game for fans to revisit their PSOne memories. Since the original Tony Hawk games have never been released as PSOne classics on the PSN, this is the best way to relive your past. Even if you’re new to the franchise, you may find that this game offers fun gameplay that is rarely featured in most other games released these days. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD isn’t perfect though as some of the original skaters are missing and the lack of splitscreen multiplayer is the biggest loss. All in all, not a perfect throwback to the original Tony Hawk games, although it’s still fun to play since there aren’t many skateboarding games out there anymore.

http://www.justpushstart.com/2012/07/tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-review/

iNvid02

Reviews

Metacritic = 68

JustPushStart 7/10

Good: Same Classic Gameplay, Redesigned Levels Look Great, New Game Modes, Soundtrack

Bad: Roster Changes, Revert Only as DLC, Slightly Altered Physics, No Offline Multiplayer

IGN 8/10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD is proof positive that sometimes all you really need to kickstart a series is to go back to its roots. While there are still a few glitches and notable absences we'd like to see ironed out, we're already dreaming up which levels, moves, and modes we'll see in future DLC packs. Tony Hawk definitely rewards your $15 with equal parts fun and nostalgia.

TheSixthAxis 7/10

Pros:

Vastly improved graphics
Great music, featuring some classic Hawk tracks and some new songs
Lots of fun unlockables and cheats
Leaderboards!

Cons:

Little challenge for the better players
No offline multiplayer
Some of the tricks from later games could have been carried over
Slightly ugly UI

Stevivor 8.5/10

Pros: Classic gameplay | HD levels | It's fun!

Cons: No local MP | Physics feel off

Digital Trends 6/10

The first Tony Hawk game was a revelation, for myself and for many others. That game and its sequel are the reason that I bought a Dreamcast back in the day. Meanwhile, the third and fourth games together spent more hours in my PlayStation 2 drive tray than any other title. I know my Tony Hawk, I love my Tony Hawk… and given all of that, I can’t in good conscience recommend THIS Tony Hawk. The pieces are still there and they’re looking great; it’s just a shame that the game doesn’t play nearly as well as it could or should.

We got this covered 80%

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD is a faithful and entertaining revamp, which retains the addictive qualities that made its source material so popular. However, certain drawbacks prevent it from being phenomenal.

Destructoid 4.5/10

Sorry, I’ll zip it and tuck my enthusiasm back in but I can’t help it. I love these games, which makes it so sad to see Activision and Robomodo tarnish Neversoft’s legacy. An HD upgrade should make a game look and feel as good as you remember it. Instead, Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD made me wonder why I ever liked this series. In a world where THPS 2X is still readily available for less than $10 on eBay, it’s hard to give this HD downgrade any sort of recommendation. The original games earned our nostalgia, while this release abuses it. It's short on content, quality, and personality. This is not the Tony Hawk I remember spending middle-school summers with.

Games Radar 4/10

Yes, the game is a downloadable – but it could’ve been so much more than what we played. It may sound odd, but we’d gladly trade HD’s so-so graphics and unruly physics for straight ports of Tony’s first two PS1 installments. But maybe it’s like they say: you can never truly go back, even to the satisfying grinds and flip tricks of yesteryear.

Planet Xbox 360 8/10

What’s more, most of the soundtrack remains intact, though there are some new additions that don’t sit entirely well. Luckily, you can blare your own tunes on the Xbox Live Music player, so you can just form your own skating tunes and have fun with it. The sound effects are good, as your effects change up depending what you’re skating on, so no problems there. However, with some sorely missing tunes (and a couple of missing boarders like Bucky Lasek and Bob Burnquist), some folks might not feel like this is the “complete” package. What’s more, $14.99 might be a high price to pay considering the extra DLC that’s being added down the road. Regardless, Tony Hawk is finally moving in a good direction again, and that’s enough to give Pro Skater HD a solid thumbs up. Perfect it’s not, but it retains a lot of the goodness that made the original games such a hit, and for us, close definitely counts.

Official Xbox Magazine 8/10

Pros:
HD paintjob looks good
Our favourite levels are in there
Trick system is still brilliant

Cons:
Not a huge amount to see
Where's Horse mode gone?

Game Informer 7.5/10

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD recreates the gameplay that made the franchise famous, but to mixed results. It lands the trick, but doesn’t do it cleanly.

iNvid02

common with activision titles i think, reviews on release day - i dunno

if it turns out to be a dud, PS3/PC players will have plenty of time to see whats up and avoid it

also updated the op with link to reviews, i'll gather all reviews at post #283:

MMaRsu

I have decided I wont buy this unless it goes for 800 MS points or 10 euro's on PSN.

The game isn't worth it without all the stuff that has been taken out :/. I can't spend money into something that they will rape me with DLC.

Lkr

no split screen? why do they think this shit was popular in the first place?

i might as well go play the nerfed version of thps2 on n64

btkadams

well there are very valid technical reasons for there not to be split screen, but there's no reason it couldn't have hot seat horse. literally not a single reason.

how could there possibly be a valid reason for there not to be split screen? make the game less detailed if you have to. it's a psn/xbla game ffs.

hyduK

Banned
People really played this split screen? I'd always just alternate, game looked like ass with split screen.

Day 1.

how could there possibly be a valid reason for there not to be split screen? make the game less detailed if you have to. it's a psn/xbla game ffs.

This is their reason for it not having split screen

PSU: The original Xbox version of Tony Hawk 2 supported 4 player splitscreen. Are there any plans to support a mode close to that?

Tsui: That was a tough decision for the team. Given the limited scope of the game we had to make some choices on what goes into game. Split screen was talked about heavily but in the end we had to really look at the way people play nowadays which is more online. Having both split screen and online would have sacrificed a lot of time and quality to work in the amount of time that we had.

http://www.psu.com/a015781/PSU-goes-inside-the-mind-behind-Tony-Hawk-Pro-Skater-HD

Borman

Having played the game, it just feels off. Its not terrible by any means, but there is just something different about it. That said, if you know what you are getting into, the game is still fun.

Top Bottom