• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD |OT| LIGHTS OUT, GUERILLA RADI... oh (28k)

Never played split-screen TH and I bought the first 6. My friends and I would compare high-scores and that was it, never felt the need to be in a tiny box doing it all at the same time.

iNvid02

It doesnt

look

LIKE IT

KuGsj.gif

123rl

Cheers. I've decided to boycott the game and just go and find the original games. I just bought Tony Hawk 2x from eBay.

Hawkins

Banned
I do love this game, been playing it for about a week, and it does suck that some features are not in it, and there are some glitches, actually a lot of them, but it's still brings back all the old memories from when I was a kid. Can not wait for the DLC packs.

Hawk

Polari

I really want this, but playing with 360's shitty ass d-pad has me concerned. On the upside, no shitty ass RATM. Swings and roundabouts.

Fletcher

So I was playing this over the weekend and was pretty bummed out. I'm not sure if it's just because I haven't played a THPS in a while and have moved on or what, but this game controlled kind of like dog shit. There was a very strange sense of speed I don't remember from the games. I would be moving slower than shit then the speed would ramp up right when I would hit a kick ramp or quarter pipe. Really awkward. Spinning in the air felt very slow and would only rotate about 90 degrees on flat ground. Causing my board to completely stop and a bail. Very frustrating. Hopefully it's just me not being used to the controls anymore and they will grow on me again, because I really did love this series.

So I was playing this over the weekend and was pretty bummed out. I'm not sure if it's just because I haven't played a THPS in a while and have moved on or what, but this game controlled kind of like dog shit. There was a very strange sense of speed I don't remember from the games. I would be moving slower than shit then the speed would ramp up right when I would hit a kick ramp or quarter pipe. Really awkward. Spinning in the air felt very slow and would only rotate about 90 degrees on flat ground. Causing my board to completely stop and a bail. Very frustrating. Hopefully it's just me not being used to the controls anymore and they will grow on me again, because I really did love this series.

How did you get it early?

Fletcher

Oh, that's odd. I don't remember saying that I got the game early. Thought I just said I had played it over the weekend.

I have a friend that was working around the 360 booth at comic con. Spent about 2 hours+ playing it. Most people were gravitating towards the RE6, Borderlands 2, AC3 demos.

Daigoro

i cant imagine this game has aged well. also, i refuse to use the 360's dpad to actually control a game, and playing Tony Hawk with the analog stick doesnt sound like fun.

think im most likely going to pass on this one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
$5 for Revert that won't even work in the base game? WTF, Activision. You might as well not have included that. :|

Hawkins

Banned
The speed os crazy sometimes, but my biggest complaint is the fact that sometime he just bails for no reason in mid air, and the rag doll effect is super annoying. But overall it's still extremely fun.

Hawk

Soodanim

Perhaps you're used to playing with characters with max stats. That might explain the slow rotation speed, at least.

It's amazing how quickly I went from "Can't wait" to "Not going to bother at all" with this game. Shame, really.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Those levels are from THPS3, aren't they? Of course revert works there.

I think he means the base game. And really, if I'm paying $5 for revert, I'd expect it to work with the base game even if it "breaks the game because the maps aren't built for revert" instead of just the THPS3 and beyond levels.

It's a waste of $5 for a combo extender on only four maps, really.

Sounds like you're playing with a non-levelled up character. In the old games you had to buy points to increase your speed, spin speed, jump height and a bunch of other stats. People have memories of playing it with max'd characters so I expect the reality of starting from scratch will be quite jarring.

That's what happened to me when I started a fresh save on Tony 2 last year. Took a couple of levels to get the feeling back and start buying upgrades.

Sounds like you're playing with a non-levelled up character. In the old games you had to buy points to increase your speed, spin speed, jump height and a bunch of other stats. People have memories of playing it with max'd characters so I expect the reality of starting from scratch will be quite jarring.

That's what happened to me when I started a fresh save on Tony 2 last year. Took a couple of levels to get the feeling back and start buying upgrades.

right. as someone who went through the game repeatedly starting over and maxing out all the characters, i've been confused by all these comments about the physics looking wrong, but i think you may have just hit the nail on the head.

collect cash. upgrade your skater. do as many goals in a single run.

i am very excited for this even though i'm now officially waiting for the PC version. i'll be all over the demo for ages first, and that just seems right somehow. :)

I think he means the base game. And really, if I'm paying $5 for revert, I'd expect it to work with the base game even if it "breaks the game because the maps aren't built for revert" instead of just the THPS3 and beyond levels.

It's a waste of $5 for a combo extender on only four maps, really.

Yes, I mean that eventually they should patch the whole game to work with revert if you've bought the DLC for THPS3 levels. And anyone, why are they being purists now? Throughout the years, later Hawk games have incorporated "classic" levels into games with revert (School 2 in Underground for example) and I thought it added a lot to the game. Bottom line: if the manual is going to be in THPS1 levels, there is no reason why the revert shouldn't be in levels from the first two games.

Curufinwe

Time and money is probably the reason. They don't want to spend it balancing the THPS 1 and 2 levels for reverts.

I'm debating whether to get this or Dyad tomorrow. Maybe I'll get Dyad and wait for the PS3 version of THPS so I can use the Dual Shock 3's D-pad.

Iacobellis

Time and money is probably the reason. They don't want to spend it balancing the THPS 1 and 2 levels for reverts.

I'm debating whether to get this or Dyad tomorrow. Maybe I'll get Dyad and wait for the PS3 version of THPS so I can use the Dual Shock 3's D-pad.

It comes out Wednesday. Now you can get both!

Might as well take manuals out of the THPS1 levels if they're so scared of reverts affecting the gameplay. The real reason reverts will only work in the THPS3 levels is so the scores will be balanced for the people who decide not to pony up the $5. Obvious solution: Make reverts able to be toggled off and on and set up separate leaderboards for reverts off or on. Or just give reverts to everyone. It's not like the scores in career mode matter that much anyway or that they couldn't rebalance them.

Yes, I mean that eventually they should patch the whole game to work with revert if you've bought the DLC for THPS3 levels. And anyone, why are they being purists now? Throughout the years, later Hawk games have incorporated "classic" levels into games with revert (School 2 in Underground for example) and I thought it added a lot to the game. Bottom line: if the manual is going to be in THPS1 levels, there is no reason why the revert shouldn't be in levels from the first two games.
not that it couldn't be done, but you'd really have to create seperate leaderboards then for all those levels for people playing with revert. arguably new score total and combo goals too.

we're being purists because a lot of us stopped giving a shit before Underground etc came out. reverts were always silly. manuals always weren't. i'd take spine transfers over reverts any day. why am i chaining with a really goddamn dumb trick? oh, because people want to be able to keep a combo going on every single item in the level.

Arla

The game is missing a lot of content. I'll wait until it builds up into a complete game through all the DLC and patches.

btkadams

not that it couldn't be done, but you'd really have to create seperate leaderboards then for all those levels for people playing with revert. arguably new score total and combo goals too.

we're being purists because a lot of us stopped giving a shit before Underground etc came out. reverts were always silly. manuals always weren't. i'd take spine transfers over reverts any day. why am i chaining with a really goddamn dumb trick? oh, because people want to be able to keep a combo going on every single item in the level.

the revert doesn't just serve that purpose though. the manual gives a serious advantage to street skaters. i saw the revert as a way of uniting both playstyles.

Top Bottom