• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

Larsen B said:
This week, we fight as brothers.
I just want to play the game. I'm looking forward to it.

When did this stuff become so complicated that we couldn't just look forward to a game, get it, and play it without concerning ourselves with all the peripheral noise?

Jtyettis said:
Well from this earlier posting in response to the follow-ups it sounds like the main story line will play out over the trilogy in each outing.

Yes, I know its a trilogy, I was asking for an idea on what their plan of the release of part2 was.

FrankT

Templar Wizard said:
Yes, I know its a trilogy, I was asking for an idea on what their plan of the release of part2 was.

Yea, I saw that, IIRC you asked about the storyline in DLC. I was stating that doesn't sound like it's going to be the case. However, perhaps it could.

eznark

Banned
Union Carbine said:

When did this stuff become so complicated that we couldn't just look forward to a game, get it, and play it without concerning ourselves with all the peripheral noise?

wait, but that is exactly what I'm doing?

Jtyettis said:
Yea, I saw that, IIRC you asked about the storyline in DLC. I was stating that doesn't sound like it's going to be the case. However, perhaps it could.

Hence the asking about a review of the game mechanics based on public acceptance.
Lets see what the main man says, no need for us to discuss my question.

border

Spirit of Jazz said:
I think these tactics are especially dirty when you show some of your more experienced players going through the game and seemingly enjoying it with Dennis a few weeks before.
I think there's a reason that they wouldn't hand it to Shane, who has been a very vocal advocate of the game for years.....and there's a reason they wouldn't hand it to someone who has debated Dyack openly on the 1Up show. There would be the appearance of positive or negative bias.

It seems though like they'd have at least 1-2 regular staffers without much involvement in the game's development, as well as an interest in the genre. Maybe that's not the case, and that's why they picked up a freelancer.

Larsen B

Union Carbine said:

In this case, and with all due respect to Denis Dyack, it's the actions of the developer that have caused Too Human to be such a contentious issue, at least on NeoGAF.

There's a certain enjoyment to be had in playing up to the roles prescribed to those "for" and "against", especially when traditional build-up to the release of a big game is "I'm looking forward to this"/"I'm not".

That said, I'm not expecting (and nor do I mind) Too Human to be more than a 7/10 game, so I'm not particularly a zealot.

border said:
Too Human Instruction Manual:

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/A09FB54B-BB4D-49EF-8AC7-E30A7C883CC3/0/TooHuman_MNL.PDF

PAGE 18
ONLINE MULTIPLAYER
Create Match
To start a new multiplayer match, choose a starting point from the levels you've completed in campaign mode, pick your loot distribution type, and make the game public or private.

Now maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds like you cannot pick a certain spot or level as a starting point until it is completed in 1P. On the bright side, it seems to imply that you can pick mid-level starting points so you don't have to play a level from start to finish every single time.

You need to complete a section before you can jump to it. You can do so in co-op or single player - so you play the game through 1st purely co-op if you want. I hope this makes sense and I can see where the confusion comes from. This is pretty standard in these types of games. Diablo and Titans quests was similar I believe.

border said:
Too Human Instruction Manual:

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/A09FB54B-BB4D-49EF-8AC7-E30A7C883CC3/0/TooHuman_MNL.PDF

PAGE 18
ONLINE MULTIPLAYER
Create Match
To start a new multiplayer match, choose a starting point from the levels you've completed in campaign mode, pick your loot distribution type, and make the game public or private.

Now maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds like you cannot pick a certain spot or level as a starting point until it is completed in 1P. On the bright side, it seems to imply that you can pick mid-level starting points so you don't have to play a level from start to finish every single time.

That doesn't seem like a big deal. The way I read it seemed to imply that you needed to finish the single player to unlock the various levels to play through in multiplayer; but you should still be able to unlock levels by playing through the game co-op from the start. I honestly don't care about the cutscenes, so if I do rent it, I could just play through the co-op and unlock levels that way I guess.

border said:
I think there's a reason that they wouldn't hand it to Shane, who has been a very vocal advocate of the game for years.....and there's a reason they wouldn't hand it to someone who has debated Dyack openly on the 1Up show. There would be the appearance of positive or negative bias.

It seems though like they'd have at least 1-2 regular staffers without much involvement in the game's development, as well as an interest in the genre. Maybe that's not the case, and that's why they picked up a freelancer.

Surely from a logical view a journalist that's known to be a professional wouldn't be affected by any prior contact they've had with Dennis or the game whilst writing an objective review. However what they've ended up with is a new member of the team writing up a poor review, but not only that he seems to have a dislike/unfamiliarity with the genre the game's in (complaining about enemies attacking in a similar way, about there being too much loot) In the end I think it hurts their integrity and show's the little confidence they hold in their long-term staff under post-Shoe leadership.

Denis Dyack said:
You need to complete a section before you can jump to it. You can do so in co-op or single player - so you play the game through 1st purely co-op if you want. I hope this makes sense and I can see where the confusion comes from. This is pretty standard in these types of games. Diablo and Titans quests was similar I believe.
Sounds good, hopefully I can get one of my friends to pick it up so we can coop through it.

Larsen B said:
In this case, and with all due respect to Denis Dyack, it's the actions of the developer that have caused Too Human to be such a contentious issue, at least on NeoGAF.
Maybe. But I like and respect that he is active in the community. I can't fault a guy for being passionate. Perhaps some of that passion was misapplied but at least he cares about his product. Better that then some soulless marketing suit parroting meaningless buzzwords and sweet, empty nothings.

Althane

So, wait, is it System Link CoOp, or what? If it isn't local or System Link... this moves to a "meh", automatically...

Well, okay, probably not. I love these kinds of games. But I'd also like to play with my room mate.

FrankT

Denis Dyack said:

Yup, pretty standard fare. Since you can start the game off in co-op really shouldn't be an issue as why would you be able to just jump right in to any level right from go.

Xenon

Althane said:
So, wait, is it System Link CoOp, or what? If it isn't local or System Link... this moves to a "meh", automatically...

Well, okay, probably not. I love these kinds of games. But I'd also like to play with my room mate.

There is no sytem link option for the game. Hopefully its something they could patch in. It could lead to extra sales for people wanting to setup local co-op. HINT HINT

Denis: I know you probably can't or don't want to give specifics on advanced loot, but generally speaking, is all of it "serious"? Is it all big badass weaponry or do we get to see some wacky stuff ala PSO? (Skunk Armor that gives off fumes, enemy's giant head on a stick, frying pan, etc..)

Eagerly ancitipating tomorow...

Denis. Do you think there might ever be a update to the game to allow cutscenes in co-op play? I just feel that alot of people might really be put off by this move alone. Its not a deal breaker for me but just was wondering. Also whats your view on the reviews so far?

btw my gamestop said Wednesday :( GRRRRRRrrrrRRRRRrrrrr

border

Denis Dyack said:
Ok, sounds great to me. I think the confusion comes from the term "Campaign", which is sometimes (though not always) used to mean "Single Player Mode". If it's a catch-all for both 1P and co-op, then that explains it just fine.

I'll be looking to jump straight to co-op tomorrow night, most likely then :D

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Spirit of Jazz said:
Surely from a logical view a journalist that's known to be a professional wouldn't be affected by any prior contact they've had with Dennis or the game whilst writing an objective review. However what they've ended up with is a new member of the team writing up a poor review, but not only that he seems to have a dislike/unfamiliarity with the genre the game's in (complaining about enemies attacking in a similar way, about there being too much loot) In the end I think it hurts their integrity and show's the little confidence they hold in their long-term staff under post-Shoe leadership.

Giancarlo is not a "new member of the team." Or of the gaming media. He's been around for years and definitely knows his shit. He was with Ziff for years, left after OPM got shut down, and is now back. And before he was with Ziff, he was with GameSpot, in the Kasavin era.

And, for what it's worth, though it's certainly not my place to say, and so I'll shut up until others with more authority (since I am merely a PC guy) show up to talk about it: The other 2 reviews that go with this for EGM magazine---written by guys you apparently know better--don't veer much away from this score at all.

LiK

JeffGreen said:
Giancarlo is not a "new member of the team." Or of the gaming media. He's been around for years and definitely knows his shit. He was with Ziff for years, left after OPM got shut down, and is now back. And before he was with Ziff, he was with GameSpot, in the Kasavin era.

And, for what it's worth, though it's certainly not my place to say, and so I'll shut up until others with more authority (since I am merely a PC guy) show up to talk about it: The other 2 reviews that go with this for EGM magazine---written by guys you apparently know better--don't veer much away from this score at all.

'NUFF SAID.

btw, Giancarlo's mystery science theater-type videos on Gamespot were awesome. too bad they're gone.

JeffGreen said:

Thanks for more clarification on the subject.

eznark

Banned
JeffGreen said:

yeah, but you panned Space Siege so you obviously hate the genre!!

(incidentally I bought SS...after 5 hours of registering for wedding gifts, I needed SOMETHING...and it's certainly, um, playable).

JoeLang

And, for what it's worth, though it's certainly not my place to say, and so I'll shut up until others with more authority (since I am merely a PC guy) show up to talk about it: The other 2 reviews that go with this for EGM magazine---written by guys you apparently know better--don't veer much away from this score at all

And as a veteran of the industry and as a lead review for the 1up Network, I expect a quality review. Jeff, do you really think that review was written well? Or that it was insightful?

I'm sure Giancarlo is a great guy, but that review seemed amateurish and hastily put together.

eznark said:
yeah, but you panned Space Siege so you obviously hate the genre!!

(incidentally I bought SS...after 5 hours of registering for wedding gifts, I needed SOMETHING...and it's certainly, um, playable).

Off topic just a tad but I bought SS as well and really am enjoying it. :D I needed something to hold me over till Too Human and it fit the bill nicely.

Dot50Cal

Banned
JeffGreen said:

Hey Jeff, can you say who else is on the review? Shane, perhaps?

border

I don't think the author of the review is that big of a problem.....people are kind of upset that it's just very short and dismissive of the game. Giancarlo wants to hold Too Human up to the highest standards of the action-genre and the RPG-genre, but the game is a hybrid so that doesn't seem entirely fair.

JeffGreen said:
If you are allowed to say....do you know who the other two reviewers for EGM were?

eznark

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Off topic just a tad but I bought SS as well and really am enjoying it. :D I needed something to hold me over till Too Human and it fit the bill nicely.

yeah, it's not terrible. I'm only like an hour into it, but I'll definitely keep picking away at it.

fin

JeffGreen said:

Why are you bringing up the score for? After all the bitching from editors, about readers focusing on scores. Then when a reader complains about a poorly written review, not mentioning the score, the editor compares scores from other editors.

In the past 2 years Ziff has been a revolving door. You don't know who anyone is anymore, it hurts credibility.

JeffGreen

Well, I'll let the rest of this subject be picked up by guys at 1up who are actually involved. Me, I don't even know what this game is. I'm too busy playing Colonization, cuz I'm an old-school dork that way.

I just came in to chime in that it's a serious misconception if anyone thinks Giancarlo is just some new dude we foisted this game onto. He's a vet.

JeffGreen

fin said:
Why are you bringing up the score for? After all the bitching from editors, about readers focusing on scores. Then when a reader complains about a poorly written review, not mentioning the score, the editor compares scores from other editors.

I brought up the scores merely to say his general *opinion* of the game is not wildly off base from what others felt as well. In terms of the writing---I haven't read his review, nor am I his editor, nor do I know this game at all. As I just posted, I just came in to say that Giancarlo's been around a long time. That's all. *hug*

LiK

JeffGreen said:
Well, I'll let the rest of this subject be picked up by guys at 1up who are actually involved. Me, I don't even know what this game is. I'm too busy playing Colonization, cuz I'm an old-school dork that way.

I just came in to chime in that it's a serious misconception if anyone thinks Giancarlo is just some new dude we foisted this game onto. He's a vet.

the hell? Colonization? :)

JeffGreen said:

Right, but that still doesn't dispute the fact that he's new to the people who gained interest in Ziff during his absence, or those that never had an interest in OPM? It doesn't dispute my point that the review was poorly typed? It doesn't dispute the fact that he seems to have little interest or a dislike to the genre? I'm sure I'll appreciate the EGM reviews more, but you've not changed my view on this one.

eznark said:
yeah, it's not terrible. I'm only like an hour into it, but I'll definitely keep picking away at it.

Yeah its gets more interesting and better as you go. If you want the humanity ending, DON'T use any upgrades!

But yeah back on topic... I think the review was just extemely short and bland. Not going in depth AT ALL. For a game with as much history behind Too Human, you'd think they would get a little more into it. The fact that Geometry Wars 2 review was longer is just...wrong.

border

JeffGreen said:
Sorry I called him a "freelancer". I know you have much love for all the former OPM'ers.

Dazzyman

As I said in the review thread I thought 1ups review was shit basically. I know no more about the game than before I read it. I dont know what modes it has, what the graphics are like good or bad and same with the story. Its not a good RPG in his words so is it a good hack and slash diablo style game? Is it system link/live for co-op? Does it take long to load. Is the music atmospheric or arse and so on? What modes is their, what are the classes and what are they like? Are they generic rubbish or fun. Whats the weapons like? And so on. Just seems a very poor review to me with massive screen grabs and few words other than its buggy (cough Ninja gaiden 2 for that :lol ).

If its really shit then fine I will cancel but its left me meh non the wiser with my order intact as I know no more from reading that badly done review than the quick play on the demo which I was very suprised with after all negatives Id read. Thats what I want from my reviews bloody info one way or the other. Dont give a toss if hes an ex PS mag reviewer hes paid to be non objective either way its a wank review and Id be ashamed of putting my name to it. Id also expect that a review is given to someone that likes that particular genre no matter what it is as theres no point giving a game to someone that doesnt so to me that shouldnt be in question, if it is then thats the sites fault whoever that is on any site going.

I actually give another site more credibility from the way the review was done because it gave info on what it was like and Ive never heard of em so harder to guage.
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Too_Human_Xbox_360_Review/3301

Giancarlo really needs to go back and flesh out his review. It feels extremely dismissive without being actually critical of anything specific. I don't doubt his perspective on the game, it just seems written to an audience who already feels the same way about it that he does without trying to explain his position to people who don't.

To be honest I was kinda hoping for a Shawn Elliot type review where he spends at least a page with a narrative about his own personal experience playing the game, rather than just making a checklist of negative points and ticking them off one by one with 1-2 sentence answers. I would really like to read some negative reviews with some substance to them and at minimum devoid of factual errors about the game.

Some people may think I've already decided I am going to love the game because of my past posts or my avatar but I really haven't. Still sitting on the fence until I get some quality time with this game. Very possible that I find the game too repetitious or am overwhelmed by the mountains of loot my character will be acquiring every 12 seconds or so. I still enjoy playing the demo though.

skip

TheWolf said:
I remember Garnett saying he stopped playing the game, or maybe the demo, so I hope not for Denis.

it's neither of us, nor is shane on the review. judging by this thread (and the other review one), thank god for that.

FrankT

wayward archer said:
Giancarlo really needs to go back and flesh out his review. It feels extremely dismissive without being actually critical of anything specific. I don't doubt his perspective on the game, it just seems written to an audience who already feels the same way about it that he does without trying to explain his position to people who don't.

To be honest I was kinda hoping for a Shawn Elliot type review where he spends at least a page with a narrative about his own personal experience playing the game, rather than just making a checklist of negative points and ticking them off one by one with 1-2 sentence answers. I would really like to read some negative reviews with some substance to them and at minimum devoid of factual errors about the game.

Some people may think I've already decided I am going to love the game because of my past posts or my avatar but I really haven't. Still sitting on the fence until I get some quality time with this game. Very possible that I find the game too repetitious or am overwhelmed by the mountains of loot my character will be acquiring every 12 seconds or so. I still enjoy playing the demo though.

Aye, planning to see what the full version fleshes out before coming to any conclusions review wise. I would imagine, just from playing the demo my final score would be closer to the HDroom rather than 1up. Interested to see the other major reviews out there however.

Eric WK

wayward archer said:

Well said.

Giancarlo can give the game whatever score he feels it deserves (and I don't doubt that he feels it deserves a C-), but it needs to be supported by more than offhand comments.

border

I am thinking Ryan Scott and Nick Suttner for the EGM reviews. Though that is little more than a hopeful guess.

Top Bottom