• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

gantz85

Banned
JeffGreen said:
Giancarlo is not a "new member of the team." Or of the gaming media. He's been around for years and definitely knows his shit. He was with Ziff for years, left after OPM got shut down, and is now back. And before he was with Ziff, he was with GameSpot, in the Kasavin era.

And, for what it's worth, though it's certainly not my place to say, and so I'll shut up until others with more authority (since I am merely a PC guy) show up to talk about it: The other 2 reviews that go with this for EGM magazine---written by guys you apparently know better--don't veer much away from this score at all.

I love you Jeff Green

Don't grow old and die too quickly

Dazzyman

Eric WK said:
Well said.

Giancarlo can give the game whatever score he feels it deserves (and I don't doubt that he feels it deserves a C-), but it needs to be supported by more than offhand comments.

Indeed. Say its shit because not just its shit ;) When Ive always seen reviews like this I always get concerned as it seems to be more about getting a review out first. Then again Im someone that will write a personal games review on a forum from own opinion with 5k words when 500 would do as like to go into every bit of detail :D Something like this Im suprised things like the other review of death animation or even the length of the game hasnt been mentioned as Im sure peeps will want to know if its a 7hour weekling etc.. not even that was mentioned.

LiK

skip said:
it's neither of us, nor is shane on the review. judging by this thread (and the other review one), thank god for that.

hmmm, then i wonder who. guess i'll wait for the next EGM

_tetsuo_ said:
the 1up review is fine, its part of the "3 part" egm review system

So this isn't going to be their official review linked off their Too Human info page? Typically the reviews linked off those for a game like Too Human that is getting a little more attention than the average game are a lot more substantial than this one.

fin

JeffGreen said:
I brought up the scores merely to say his general *opinion* of the game is not wildly off base from what others felt as well. In terms of the writing---I haven't read his review, nor am I his editor, nor do I know this game at all. As I just posted, I just came in to say that Giancarlo's been around a long time. That's all. *hug*

;)

GFW is my fav podcast!

Denis, if you read this, can you please answer this one question for me? I'm not a big fan of announced trilogies anymore as two games I really loved (Shenmue and Advent Rising) didn't get a completition of their story.

How sure is it that I'm going to see the completition of the story of Too Human? It would suck to add a third announced trilogy to the list of uncompleted trilogies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Why did this thread grow four pages in the last nine hours? The 1up review? Damnit, I go to sleep for seven hours and this happens...

I'll update the OP in a little bit. If there's anything I should know, tell me in case I miss something as I read the last four pages.

Danthrax said:
Why did this thread grow four pages in the last nine hours? The 1up review? Damnit, I go to sleep for seven hours and this happens...

Personally I think it's pretty sad that so many people on GAF have no interest in the game yet are so damn excited for this review

Wizman23

Banned
JeffGreen said:
Giancarlo is not a "new member of the team." Or of the gaming media. He's been around for years and definitely knows his shit. He was with Ziff for years, left after OPM got shut down, and is now back. And before he was with Ziff, he was with GameSpot, in the Kasavin era.

And, for what it's worth, though it's certainly not my place to say, and so I'll shut up until others with more authority (since I am merely a PC guy) show up to talk about it: The other 2 reviews that go with this for EGM magazine---written by guys you apparently know better--don't veer much away from this score at all.

Well I don't care how long this guy has been around the block his review was a piece of garbage that looks like it was written by a 4th grader. Its a bare minimum review that tells us nothing, and like others have said on this board its ashame that XBL arcade titles in the past few weeks have gotten better more detailed reviews then his Too Human review. Its like he forgot to do his homework and wrote the review 5 minutes before his class started.

LiK

JeffGreen said:
Plus his mama wears army boots!

kipyes-1.gif
;)

Macattk15

Wizman23 said:
Well I don't care how long this guy has been around the block his review was a piece of garbage that looks like it was written by a 4th grader. Its a bare minimum review that tells us nothing, and like others have said on this board its ashame that XBL arcade titles in the past few weeks have gotten better more detailed reviews then his Too Human review. Its like he forgot to do his homework and wrote the review 5 minutes before his class started.

I guess he put the amount of effort into his review as he felt the developers put into the game for the amount of time they held onto it?

I dunno.

johnjohnson said:
Denis, if you read this, can you please answer this one question for me? I'm not a big fan of announced trilogies anymore as two games I really loved (Shenmue and Advent Rising) didn't get a completition of their story.

How sure is it that I'm going to see the completition of the story of Too Human? It would suck to add a third announced trilogy to the list of uncompleted trilogies.

Jeez let's not go down this road please.

Macattk15 said:
I guess he put the amount of effort into his review as he felt the developers put into the game for the amount of time they held onto it?

I dunno.

That still wouldn't justify the Too Human review he put out. Reviews are supposed to be informative to the reader about the overall game and its strengths and weaknesses. Its not supposed to be similar to a fan made review I can find posted over on gamefaqs the likes of stating a game is crap because "I says so".

border

I can't entirely defend Giancarlo's review, but it sucks that people think a "good review" is just supposed to be some informational laundry list of modes, features and graphics/sound analysis. If you want to learn about modes and features it's not that fucking hard to do, and I suspect you already know about the shit you're whining that the review didn't tell you.

Macattk15 said:

I dunno.

Welp this thread is slowly starting to turn to shit.

border said:
I can't entirely defend Giancarlo's review, but it sucks that people think a "good review" is just supposed to be some informational laundry list of modes, features and graphics/sound analysis. If you want to learn about modes and features it's not that fucking hard to do, and I suspect you already know about the shit you're whining that the review didn't tell you.

The problem isn't that he didn't talk about certain things. It's that each point he made was really abrupt. He doesn't talk about game specifics in any way that makes you feel like he has a firm grasp on what this game is all about. That's all. I have no doubt that he didn't have fun playing the game. He did not connect with me and give me enough evidence to help me conclude my feelings on the game would be similar.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Macattk15 said:

I dunno.

cue rimshot?

border said:

Wait.. so what IS a review suppose to be about then?

Macattk15

I can't even see the review behind my company's insane blocking of websites ... luckily GAF hasn't been hit yet.

I don't know why this one review is such a big deal though, there will be more ... some better, some worse. Give it time.

border said:

Yeah and I agree...to a point. A review shouldn't have to get into the tiniest details of said game. It's just this review is a joke. It reminds me of the reviews for games that get ports a year later. No effort... just some words thrown together and a score and a corner of txt typed since they already did a long review on the game before. Cept this isn't a year later port, its a game thats been in the making for years. Just screams rushed and unprofessional imo.

JoeLang

Quick side question that maybe someone or Jeff can answer.

Why does 1up have a policy on 1 page reviews? Positives? Negatives?

border

DarienA said:
Wait.. so what IS a review suppose to be about then?
Opinion, and evaluative analysis of gameplay experience and narrative (if the narrative is significant).

There are people here whining that the review doesn't tell them about the graphics quality, or that it doesn't say whether multiplayer is System Link or XBL, or that it doesn't detail every single class. For one thing, if you are in this thread passionately defending Too Human then you probably already know all that stuff and you are just bashing the guy for not including minute details that you as a fan have already known for months. If you didn't know this stuff, then look at a screenshot/movie, read the back of the damned box. The reason people only care about the score in game reviews is because of these dull laundry-list reviews that have 1 paragraph for graphics, 1 paragraph for sound, 1 paragraph for online features, blah blah blah.

border said:

I agree. It's not a preview, it's an opinion piece.

Stoney Mason said:
Jeez let's not go down this road please.

Sorry, but I've been sitting here waiting on Advent Rising II and Shenmue III for years now. :(

All I want to know is if the full trilogy is already funded (or sure by contract) or if the story is self containing so that - might the worst case happen - I don't sit there with a third title I don't know how it ends.

My preorder doesn't depend on this though. I'm too hum.. ohm hyped about this game. :D

Eric WK

Macattk15 said:
I can't even see the review behind my company's insane blocking of websites ... luckily GAF hasn't been hit yet.

I don't know why this one review is such a big deal though, there will be more ... some better, some worse. Give it time.

Personally, I don't care about the score Giancarlo gave the game. It's completely arbitrary. What matters is the text and in this case the text was just shit.

Maybe I expect more from 1UP because its most prominent journalists are so capable, but I honestly couldn't believe what I was reading.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I agree. It's not a preview, it's an opinion piece.

previews and reviews should have opinions.

I hate previews that are just a PR list of features. I want to know how a game is shaping up at the current time.

Eric WK said:
Personally, I don't care about the score Giancarlo gave the game. It's completely arbitrary. What matters is the text and in this case the text was just shit.

Maybe I expect more from 1UP because its most prominent journalists are so capable, but I honestly couldn't believe what I was reading.

This is exactly what I didn't like about the review either. Its not about the score, or minute details. It was just written poorly and clearly not enough time was dedicated to writting it. I'm sure they know of the drama/history this game has had, you'd think they would write it better considering they know its going to be read over like a hawk by it readers.

But enough on that topic. I just need the game in my hands NOW!. :p

johnjohnson said:
Sorry, but I've been sitting here waiting on Advent Rising II and Shenmue III for years now. :(

I feel your pain. I know exactly how this feels and I wouldn't lie and say I worry about the same things such as yourself. Damn Advent Rising and never getting to see what happens next!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
skip said:
it's neither of us, nor is shane on the review. judging by this thread (and the other review one), thank god for that.
Agreed.

Fellas - go to the review thread and have your say in there. This is for gameplay discussion only.

Carry on.

johnjohnson said:

All I want to know is if the full trilogy is already funded (or sure by contract) or if the story is self containing so that - might the worst case happen - I don't sit there with a third title I don't know how it ends.

My preorder doesn't depend on this though. I'm too hum.. ohm hyped about this game. :D

Not really aimed at you specifically but people need to keep the thread on target. You can't ask the head of a company to respond to what is essentially a public question about the financial structure and stability of his company.

If Too human sells there will be a sequel. If it doesn't there won't. You'll most likely be able to figure that exact status from the NPD threads in a few months. Thats just the way it is.

Eric WK

In any event, I'm heading out to Gamestop in a few to pick up the guide. I rarely spend the twenty bucks unless it's a game I know I'll be spending a good chunk of time on, and while I won't use it on my initial playthrough, it'll be nice to have for the loot lists later on.

And the class information and such will be a nice read while waiting for Wednesday.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I wonder how long he layer the game? I know a guy who beta tested it and he said the higher lvl you got, the less and less loot that dropped. Seeing as one of his complaints was too much loot I wouldnt think he didnt go through it but once and a little bit of co-op. Maybe Denis can clear it up or if he post here, the reviewer can tell us.

I know pretty much every dungeon crawler crawler I've played gets better the higher level you get.

Edit: bah iPhone is slow. No more review talk

So considering that its been confirmed that you CAN play the game co-op the first time through but sans cutscenes and story... who is actually going to play it this way first?

Wizpig

slasher_thrasher21 said:
So considering that its been confirmed that you CAN play the game co-op the first time through but sans cutscenes and story... who is actually going to play it this way first?
Actually, i thought you could watch cutscenes in CoOp too?

was it ever explained what in the game made the team drop the 4 player support so late in development?

i refuse to believe they JUST noticed the level design could not handle the 4player co-op so late into the game.

could it be patched into the game at all?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
bishoptl said:

...yeah we posted at the same time.

Anyway I'm going to edit the review scores with links to the reviews into the OP. Keep those gamertags coming.

Wizpig said:
Actually, i thought you could watch cutscenes in CoOp too?

Nope, no cutscenes in co-op.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm gonna play it through solo my first time through. However, I might be willing to play co-op for the levels I've already passed in single player.

border

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I would like to do everything in co-op ideally, but don't have any friends on XBL because I don't normally have a Gold subscription. Whether it's good or whether it's awful, I don't have much interest in the story either way.....it won't have any bearing on my opinion of the game or how much fun I have with it.

Kabuki Waq said:
was it ever explained what in the game made the team drop the 4 player support so late in development?

i refuse to believe they JUST noticed the level design could not handle the 4player co-op so late into the game.

could it be patched into the game at all?

I would guess it was on the verge of being dropped for a long while before we heard about it.

Personally I'm hoping that we get three player added in soon, a combination of tank + support + DPS would be great.

border said:
I would like to do everything in co-op ideally, but don't have any friends on XBL because I don't normally have a Gold subscription. Whether it's good or whether it's awful, I don't have much interest in the story either way.....it won't have any bearing on my opinion of the game or how much fun I have with it.

My dilema just comes from a friend wanted to play co-op but not sure if I'll be bothered not knowing the story before going at it with him. So yeah... decisions decisions. On one hand, we could go through the whole thing and finish it up without the story. Thus making my single player playthrough more interesting due to having a already leveled up character. Or vice versa. hmmmm

Stoney Mason said:
You can't ask the head of a company to respond to what is essentially a public question about the financial structure and stability of his company.

If Too human sells there will be a sequel. If it doesn't there won't.

wow, you are right, you DONT need to ask, since you have answered it :p

pfffttt, give it a break dude, let DD answer if he wants, if he doesnt he doesnt, we dont need you to be a spokesmuppet.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
border said:
Opinion, and evaluative analysis of gameplay experience and narrative (if the narrative is significant).

There are people here whining that the review doesn't tell them about the graphics quality, or that it doesn't say whether multiplayer is System Link or XBL, or that it doesn't detail every single class. For one thing, if you are in this thread passionately defending Too Human then you probably already know all that stuff and you are just bashing the guy for not including minute details that you as a fan have already known for months. If you didn't know this stuff, then look at a screenshot/movie, read the back of the damned box. The reason people only care about the score in game reviews is because of these dull laundry-list reviews that have 1 paragraph for graphics, 1 paragraph for sound, 1 paragraph for online features, blah blah blah.

Border I wouldn't have even jumped in but you mentioned features/modes in your list of ppl whining about stuff.

A review SHOULD have information on what features/modes are in the game and how they do or don't work.

In the end the story in the demo intrigued me and I enjoyed the gameplay so I'll be picking this one up on my way out of class tomorrow to play at the hotel (in Kansas on business trip).

Top Bottom