• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

"Anyone addicted to watching there damage meter as I am? Always nice to see that really big crit out of no where, 700, 700, 700, 3800, 700. "

Is there a way to turn it on/off? Mine seems to have disappeared.

FrankT

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"Anyone addicted to watching there damage meter as I am? Always nice to see that really big crit out of no where, 700, 700, 700, 3800, 700. "

Is there a way to turn it on/off? Mine seems to have disappeared.

Right on the Dpad.

Few more observations:

So far the amount of loot i'm getting is not a problem. In the 4 hours i've played I probably changed melee weapons 5-6 times and ranged weapons 3 times... the 1up review in particular made it sound like i'd be changing weapons every 5 minutes.

Armor is a bit different, upgrades come pretty regularly but they stagger it out, so I might be changing to a new piece of armor every 10-15 minutes or so but I tend to keep individual pieces for a while. I'm still using that first crafted helmet that you can also make in the demo... I have a slightly better one armor value-wise but I like the bonuses on the crafted helm better. Once I get some more runes I can see myself switching over to a custom helm. I've noticed the stuff you can make gets expensive to craft so i've been saving my points for a really killer upgrade. Not sure what that'll be but I guess i'll know when I see it.

So far i'm playing a human champion and went right down the middle tree, which is the air combo tree. The spider mine that launches enemies into the air is a lot more useful than I thought it would be, although I hardly ever use the X power (buff that turns all regular attacks into launchers)... maybe in co-op when I can set someone else up to serve enemies to me. I've also started going down the right side of the human tree which is the melee combo side... my attack speed is insane. :) Can't imagine how fast a human berzerker who focuses on attack speed will be.

Loving all the norse references in the story so far. Loki's torture was cool to see. They definitely did their research and cover a lot of the stories from myth. I almost want them to go back and cover thor and loki's adventures from some of the earlier sagas, before they were enemies. Maybe if the sequels get made they will cover those in flashbacks or something.

Kudos Silicon Knights, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Alrighty...

So of course the first thing I do when I actually get to work is check on GAF.

So last night I popped the game in around 6:30. I immediatly joined up with a friend of mine. He was leve 18 or so. We began from the first level. Lets just say in co-op you level up extremely fast. By the end of the night (about a 4 hour game session and just having beatenthe second area) I was a level 19. Not bad.

Now... obviously because we played co-op I didn't get to see any of the story. Thats fine. The second level was a BITCH people. And let me also state this. The difficulty is different going from single to co-op.

For instance. My friend had already beaten the second level in his singleplayer game. Well when we got there... there was a SHIT TON of trolls.( if those are the big robots with the hammers) and when I say shit ton... I mean SHIT TON We must have fought at least 15 of them. Some causing freeze status,another causing slowdown (those are a bitch). These things, combined with the rocket guys were a pain in the ass. My friend just couldn't beleive how many of these guys they were throwing at us. Also he noticed we were not fighting the new enemies he had seen. Although they did come eventually later in the level. All in all that level took us about... ohhhhh 2.5 hours.

It wasn't until after we stopped playing and I was messing around in the city as if I was still hosting a co-op game did I discover the shops to buy new new armor and weapons. Also the option to repair your stuff... seeing as we were glowing red from head to toe due to our stuff being broke, we were glad to finally figure out how to repair it.

Also I ended up showing my buddy that there was a alignment tree as well. That was cool. The beauty part for him was that he then reverted all his skill points back to him and redistributed them accordingly. It seemed Too Human was not very hand holding and the more we messed around the more fun we had. This lead us to notice how you can buy the colored runes (which I knew was in the game but no idea where) and we were then in customization heaven!

This was all before playing single player mind you.
Now lets get to the first stage when I started the campaign. I now had a level 19 character, almost 20... and I was tearing these robots to pieces. Flowing back and forth like a knife through butter. My adrenaline kicked in, the music reached its peak, and there I was in orgasmic gaming bliss.

Too Human has some great depth to it and it's insanely fun and addicting. This is what gaming is all about.

Now... there was some odd things here and there. For one, the second boss is shit... neat idea at first but way overdone by the end. Also what we noticed going from single to co-op. These bosses take WAYYYYYYY more to beat then in single player. Expect to be battling them for a good while. Aside from that yeah the cutscenes come off a little... bad.. mostly in execution though. I tend to like the voice acting. Just the animation is stilted. Also I can see alot of people getting extremely bored of this game because its essentially the same throughout. Haven't had any falling through floors yet. :D

Really, this all boils down to how much you enjoy building a character up and how much you enjoy playing these types of games with a friend. Anyone thats even remotely interested in the game and into this genre definetly should give it a go. Its got some issues for sure but I'd be lieing if I told you I didn't have a blast and so would my clock seeing as I started at 6:30pm and before I realized it was 11pm.

Highly enjoyed!

wayward archer said:
So far i'm playing a human champion and went right down the middle tree, which is the air combo tree. The spider mine that launches enemies into the air is a lot more useful than I thought it would be, although I hardly ever use the X power (buff that turns all regular attacks into launchers)... maybe in co-op when I can set someone else up to serve enemies to me. I've also started going down the right side of the human tree which is the melee combo side... my attack speed is insane. :) Can't imagine how fast a human berzerker who focuses on attack speed will be.
I went down the left side, but I don't use my spider much. It's the thermal mine, but it doesn't seem to be too effective. Maybe I need to put more points into it. I primarily use the ruiner when I get surrounded and the buff spell that increases air damage.

Cornballer said:
I went down the left side, but I don't use my spider much. It's the thermal mine, but it doesn't seem to be too effective. Maybe I need to put more points into it. I primarily use the ruiner when I get surrounded and the buff spell that increases air damage.

The launcher mine is great for when you don't want to waste a combo level but need to clear out a bunch of goblins or dark elves around you, which happens to me all the time in the ice forest.

Cornballer said:

I went down the right treefor my spider. He becomes a nice little turrent guy that takes aim at all enemies. Remember if your not happy with your decisions, just revert your skills and put them towards another tree. I think it cost like 100 bounty though, but thats no big deal.

wayward archer said:
The launcher mine is great for when you don't want to waste a combo level but need to clear out a bunch of goblins or dark elves around you, which happens to me all the time in the ice forest.
That sounds great. Maybe time for me to respec.

Aside from the spider, I'm pretty pleased with my build. I'm focused mainly on aerial, but I can bash stuff reasonably well with my sword and my pistol skills are decent, too. I usually ping-pong goblins (they're weak) and I'll switch to serving w/ aerial finishers for elves and small bosses.

Wizman23

Banned
After playing 7 hours straight yesterday I can't wait to get home from work and start right back. I just started level 3. I am a level 18 Berserker. Combat is so SO satisfying. After one night of this game it is my game of the year so far.

I have a question about the skill tree that I was hoping someone could clarify. I have skill points scattered around the right, middle and left of the tree. Do you only get to use one line at a time (either right middle or left), or does everywhere you put a point count towrads your character? I know you only get to choose 1 battle cry, spider abilty, etc..., but didnt know if all the normal blue attributes counted towards your character no matter where on the skill tree (left, middle, right) you put them.

FoeHammer

Cornballer said:
Depends a lot on how you want to play it. People have been having problems with the commando on certain types of enemies. All of them have pluses and minuses. The guy who wrote the strategy guide put up a blog post on his favorite builds that I found useful.

Damn man, thanks for that. Even though I've never seen that guide, I actually dumped my Berserker points exactly as he instructed. That may explain why I've been crushing everything in my path, although I know it's going to harder later on.

ringlord said:
Yes. Just like Defenders can't use dual-swords.

Man, I do not get how people were saying classes don't matter. I mean, they're small distinctions, but damn the game is challenging enough that it really does make a difference.

FrankT

FoeHammer said:
Damn man, thanks for that. Even though I've never seen that guide, I actually dumped my Berserker points exactly as he instructed. That may explain why I've been crushing everything in my path, although I know it's going to harder later on.

That is funny, pretty much the same build I've been working on too without seeing that as well.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
:O You break you're gear when you die too much. Everytime you die it hurts your items and eventually they'll break.

Right, found where to repair your weapons fairly quickly(pretty obvious), but took a minute before I realized where to repair my gear.

Wizman23 said:
After playing 7 hours straight yesterday I can't wait to get home from work and start right back. I just started level 3. I am a level 18 Berserker. Combat is so SO satisfying. After one night of this game it is my game of the year so far.

I have a question about the skill tree that I was hoping someone could clarify. I have skill points scattered around the right, middle and left of the tree. Do you only get to use one line at a time (either right middle or left), or does everywhere you put a point count towrads your character? I know you only get to choose 1 battle cry, spider abilty, etc..., but didnt know if all the normal blue attributes counted towards your character no matter where on the skill tree (left, middle, right) you put them.

Yeah you can use different passive skills from the different trees. At least the first one from each column... not sure if you can get the ones past the X and Y abilities after you've already gone down one column.

wayward archer said:
Few more observations:

So far the amount of loot i'm getting is not a problem. In the 4 hours i've played I probably changed melee weapons 5-6 times and ranged weapons 3 times... the 1up review in particular made it sound like i'd be changing weapons every 5 minutes.

I'm changing weapons more regularly than that, but I assume the drops are fairly random, so we're all getting different things. I've probably changed melee 8-10 times and ranged weapons 6-8 times already and I'm about 4 hours in.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
:O You break you're gear when you die too much. Everytime you die it hurts your items and eventually they'll break.

Yeah so there is a penalty for death. While not exactly "end of the word" still something.

ravien56

so im starting this game today, can anybody sum up the pros and cons of each of the classes? I know im not picking commando(or should i?>_<) or bioengineer, but im debating about getting berserker or champion...

Wizman23

Banned
Wait a second there are 2 skill tree's!! How do you access the 2nd one? The only one I have my points in is the same one from the demo.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

And combo meter reverts to zero. There *is* a penalty for dying. having your armor flash red on you is NOT fun, at all.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Man, I do not get how people were saying classes don't matter. I mean, they're small distinctions, but damn the game is challenging enough that it really does make a difference.

Right. And I think if the game still had 3-4 player co-op, some of the classes seem designed to fill more of a support role, which would have really come through online.

Wizman23 said:
Wait a second there are 2 skill tree's!! How do you access the 2nd one? The only one I have my points in is the same one from the demo.

When your on the skill tree page, its either the right trigger or bumper.

xS1TH L0RDx said:
And combo meter reverts to zero. There *is* a penalty for dying. having your armor flash red on you is NOT fun, at all.

How right you are! :D

Wizman23

Banned
Awesome!!!!! I'm going to have to respec my skill points then as I have all 42 of them on the first tree (the same one from the demo). I think this may be the first game I ever get the guide for.

FFChris

Just to those people posting positive impressions: You aren't supposed to enjoy this one, please start making the impressions more negative, thanks.

FFChris said:
Just to those people posting positive impressions: You aren't supposed to enjoy this one, please start making the impressions more negative, thanks.

Oh shit. Where are my manners. Too Human... its ok.:lol

ringlord

Union Carbine said:
Anyone know: do the damages listed for dual weapons reflect each of the weapons separately or the sum of both?

Not sure on that one, but I have a similar question:

Is the damage for pistols doubled? That is, if I have pistols with damage 3 and I fire them both at the same time at the same enemy, is that the same as shooting him with a damage 6 rifle?

I think the answer is 'yes', but I'm not sure.

eznark

Banned
awesome on the respec stuff. I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed what I played last night, as I didn't get much past the demo. now I'm itching to get home.

ringlord said:
Not sure on that one, but I have a similar question:

Is the damage for pistols doubled? That is, if I have pistols with damage 3 and I fire them both at the same time at the same enemy, is that the same as shooting him with a damage 6 rifle?

I think the answer is 'yes', but I'm not sure.

Yes, pistols are doubled.

Shorter range than rifles, no grenade, but more direct damage and you can target two different things or focus fire on one.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Grenades...?

I've had...grenades?

Yep rifles have a grenade launcher, hold left trigger, aim where you want it, let go of left trigger. Nice against trolls... you can blow their hammer arm off with a few direct hits.

wayward archer said:
Yep rifles have a grenade launcher, hold left trigger, aim where you want it, let go of left trigger. Nice against trolls... you can blow their hammer arm off with a few direct hits.

*cough*
*cough*
Suddenly feeling...so sick...may not make it...prolly gotta go...home...

Cornballer said:
Oh, I got the klobb plans last night, btw. :lol

Me too.

:D

Is that a reference to something? I didn't build it yet because I was focusing my bounty on that sick Dragon Ninja-looking armor. That shit is dope. All Black.

goldenpp72

So i'm level 17 and having a good time, I just spent like 30 minutes salvaging and equipping new armor.. turns out I neglected to go above my level 1 armor :lol

but yeah I was curious, once a rune is put into something is it gone forever?

Top Bottom