• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
ghLtUG9.gif

Did you make this gif?

ddHWstY.png

I chuckled

"You have 371 unanswered voice messages."

"BRING BACK INUYASHA!!!"

"BRING FINAL ACT TO TOONAMI!!!"

I wouldn't mind dark souls if the fan base wasn't so horrible, no every game doesn't need to be a "super challenging" , "trial and error" , "grim dark " power fantasy , thanks .

789shadow

Banned
I wouldn't mind dark souls if the fan base wasn't so horrible, no every game doesn't need to be a "super challenging" , "trial and error" , "grim dark " power fantasy , thanks .
I like Dark Souls, but if NeoGAF got From Software's dick any farther down it's throat it would hit stomach acid.

I like Dark Souls, but if NeoGAF got From Software's dick any farther down it's throat it would hit stomach acid.

Yeah that's my problem. I enjoyed Demon and Dark souls. It's threads like "Oh god guys...I can't play any other games after Dark Souls. It's the best game ever! I'm getting the vapors! /fans self"

"I know man, I'm the same! All other games are garbage!" x100000

Since it was overused on reddit, I don't like calling things circle jerks but...the gentlemen in that thread were tugging at each other's wangs.

Seda

Having people talk about something a lot that you aren't interested in can be annoying , personally I think the anime isn't that great (not that bad beyond a few things) but the hoopla around something when you're an outsider can be a bit grating and intimidating .

I know they are only character-limited tweets, but all I really know about the show is basically every episode causes a "HOLY SHIT WOW SUCH HYPE" reaction on my Twitter timeline.

daveo42

Banned
Kinda how I felt about Attack on Titan.

Part of it for me is being even remotely excited about the series in question while it is still airing in Japan and talking to pretty much anyone who is also excited about it. I never went crazy go nuts over AoT like I have on KLK, mainly because me (and probably a ton of others) were hoping for something as absurd and fantastic as TTGL. It just didn't shake out like that.

The more I do see of it, the less hope I have of seeing it on Toonami, but if it doesn't show up, I won't be all that disappointed. Censor bars and blurries everywhere, especially the what was shown in the latest episode.

Cleverly placed hair be damned.
There was actual face in ass going on there and a stark naked Ryuuko at the end covered in blood.

Raxus

I hope I don't come across as grating being a fan of Dark Souls and KlK. I just have fun watching/playing them. I don't obsess over them.

Heck this generation was stuffed with great games.

bigkrev

I know they are only character-limited tweets, but all I really know about the show is basically every episode causes a "HOLY SHIT WOW SUCH HYPE" reaction on my Twitter timeline.

Yep

And that lowers my interest in ever watching it each and every time I see it

bigkrev

That said, I was the same about Breaking Bad forever, and then I finally watched it, and I understood why all people could do was just cum praise out of their mouths for it.

That said, if anyone even tries to say that KlK is anywhere near Breaking Bad, i'm blocking them

Part of it for me is being even remotely excited about the series in question while it is still airing in Japan and talking to pretty much anyone who is also excited about it. I never went crazy go nuts over AoT like I have on KLK, mainly because me (and probably a ton of others) were hoping for something as absurd and fantastic as TTGL. It just didn't shake out like that.

The more I do see of it, the less hope I have of seeing it on Toonami, but if it doesn't show up, I won't be all that disappointed. Censor bars and blurries everywhere, especially the what was shown in the latest episode.

Cleverly placed hair be damned.
There was actual face in ass going on there and a stark naked Ryuuko at the end covered in blood.

To be honest, we shouldn't really be talking about these shows so much, since it'll ruin the Toonami watch when they air on the block.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've been on the KLK will never air on Toonami bandwagon since...episode 3.

If it does happen I want you to post all the LEGIT SHOOK gifs you can find as I'll be Quaking with Fear.

Raxus

That said, I was the same about Breaking Bad forever, and then I finally watched it, and I understood why all people could do was just cum praise out of their mouths for it.

That said, if anyone even tries to say that KlK is anywhere near Breaking Bad, i'm blocking them
I enjoyed Breaking Bad but couldn't stand the OT at times especially with the Skyler hate.

This brings up the question, should you just keep your in the sand until the suit to watch the show/episode or try and get hyped up?

KlK was very good but I don't understand why you guys say "people being excited about/for it makes me less excited" what kind of logic is that?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I kept my head deep in the sand with BD:FF (a game not a show) and that worked out great. I haven't done it with a show since the early 2000's but I had mixed results back then.

EDIT: I guess I'm technically doing it for AoT even though everyone tries to spoil that and I'm half doing it with Dandy. I never watched a single thing after the initial announcement and I don't watch the long form preview unless I see it on tv.

I've been on the KLK will never air on Toonami bandwagon since...episode 3.

If it does happen I want you to post all the LEGIT SHOOK gifs you can find as I'll be Quaking with Fear.

It's happening sooner or later, whether it's censored or not.
It's a hot topic anime like AoT and SAO, so Toonami is probably looking into it.

DON'T
LOSE
YOUR
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY

I kept my head deep in the sand with BD:FF (a game not a show) and that worked out great. I haven't done it with a show since the early 2000's but I had mixed results back then.

Yeah I somehow avoided most spoilers and such for BD:FF and even playing it I still know very little about whats coming up minus a few classes I've seen in trailers. Its pretty exciting

Levyne

Banned
KlK was very good but I don't understand why you guys say "people being excited about/for it makes me less excited" what kind of logic is that?

It's not logical, I admitted as such. Doesn't change how i naturally respond to those sorts of things, though. It's irritating. That's too strong a word. Prickly? Mental eye roll whenever I see it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I understand that feeling completely. I get it most often when people are hyping up released games I haven't gotten around to or have no intention of getting around to. Their excitement becomes a bit annoying and makes me less interested somehow, usually when I'm not terribly interested in the game to begin with.

Sometimes though when I am interested the hype resonance can be too much and I get too into the game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's not quite that though as I put that aside and give it a fair shake when I have the time.

Also in semi TOONAMI news: Star Wars: Clone Wars is up on Netflix.

daveo42

Banned
I'll cut back on the hype/talk on KLK because I know I like going into shows and games fairly blind and hate getting spoiled. The last one I did that with was The Stanley Parable and it worked out well.

I ended up spoiling myself on the OST and the demo prior to release, but I'm not sure my experience would have differed much here other than it did hype the game up a bit more. I haven't touched it in over a week after getting bored with it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I did play the demo when I learned it was completely separate from the game so the only thing it spoiled* was character classes and a few enemies.

*I play FF V five times or so a year. I've also played FF 3, FF X-2, FFT, FFTA,FFTA-2, FF Dimensions and 4 Heroes of Light. I think I have a GOOD IDEA of what the character classes would be.

I did play the demo when I learned it was completely separate from the game so the only thing it spoiled* was character classes and a few enemies.

*I play FF V five times or so a year. I've also played FF 3, FF X-2, FFT, FFTA,FFTA-2, FF Dimensions and 4 Heroes of Light. I think I have a GOOD IDEA of what the character classes would be.

I own but never played 4 heroes of light, one class I wasn't expecting in BD is a
vampire class

Seda

Okay, this is only my perception, so please understand I don't mean to be critiquing a show I've never seen.

But Kill La Kill seems to emphasize extreme wackiness, lewdness, fanservice, and shock value, all things I don't really look or care for. Those sorts of things don't resonate with me much. So people saying 'HOLY SHIT OMG" and "this will never ever air on TV" only strengthen my perception that Kill La Kill is not a show I would personally enjoy, because of the nature of the reactions to seemingly every episode, not solely because people are excited for it and liking it.

Again, my perception. At least, I hope there's more substance to the show than that, but it's hard to tell based on reactions.

Personally I hope we get more simuldub shows like Dandy so that I don't have to make a choice between waiting 2-3 years to watch an action anime on Toonami or seeing it subbed and losing the first time group watch magic

bigkrev

Because people are building it up as an amazing show setting me up to be disappointed when I watch it even if it is "good".

Okay, this is only my perception, so please understand I don't mean to be critiquing a show I've never seen.

But Kill La Kill seems to emphasize extreme wackiness, lewdness, fanservice, and shock value, all things I don't really look or care for. Those sorts of things don't resonate with me much. So people saying 'HOLY SHIT OMG" and "this will never ever air on TV" only strengthen my perception that Kill La Kill not a show I would personally enjoy, because of the nature of the reactions to seemingly every episode, not solely because people are excited for it and liking it.

Again, my perception. At least, I hope there's more substance to the show than that, but it's hard to tell based on reactions.

I like batshit insanity. And I have no desire to watch KlK. Nothing turns me off more than "fanservice" in the actual product. Leave that to the Pixiv artists, Doujin Circles, ect to find IF I WANT TO. I almost stopped playing P4G at the new Hot Springs cutscenes because it was just so filthy and gross

ckohler

But Kill La Kill seems to emphasize extreme wackiness, lewdness, fanservice, and shock value, all things I don't really look or care for. Those sorts of things don't resonate with me much. So people saying 'HOLY SHIT OMG" and "this will never ever air on TV" only strengthen my perception that Kill La Kill not a show I would personally enjoy, because of the nature of the reactions to seemingly every episode, not solely because people are excited for it and liking it.

The main reason the show might not ever air on Toonami is because it has no problems showing characters in super skimpy outfits or even completely nude (with naughty bits carefully obscured ala Austiin Powers). It's the nudity, really. But the nudity or skimpy outfits aren't just for fan-service. The reason the characters appear this way has entirely to do with the nature of the story and what is unfolding. Still, this show pushes this to boundaries that are likely too far for american cable television.

Otherwise, I think the show is a lot of fun with compelling characters and moments of phenominal epic tension like I said last week.

Which is why I soooo want Gurren Lagann to air on Toonami! KLK has a lot similar elements but at least the fan-service in TTGL can be aired on television (it has before) and it never gets as creepy feeling. It's just a downright awesome show from start to finish. God, I can't stop thinking about all of us watching TTGL and how epic our reactions would be to each episode.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I own but never played 4 heroes of light, one class I wasn't expecting in BD is a
vampire class

Well you go through the entire game based on the FF V Job system and you don't have a single
Blue Magic
job you know it is coming. That and there are only two characters left with a job and by process of elimination and a bit of critical thinking you'll put it together.

Well you go through the entire game based on the FF V Job system and you don't have a single
Blue Magic
job you know it is coming. That and there are only two characters left with a job and by process of elimination and a bit of critical thinking you'll put it together.

Oh wait the
vampire class is the blue magic class?
interest intensifies

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's not that CN can't put KLK on without censorship as Comedy Central commonly airs completely uncensored nudity and language at the same time TOONAMI airs, there's no rules preventing them. It's that they are Cartoon Network and don't want that type of angry parent reaction (why their kids are up at 2am though is anyone's guess, also it would be TV-MA so the lockout chip could prevent it)

Because people are building it up as an amazing show setting me up to be disappointed when I watch it even if it is "good".

That happens all the time with any popular show.

Don't let hype ruin your enjoyment of a show. Use it as a benchmark when you're thinking about watching a show for the first time and never go in with unrealistic expectations.

That's how I see it.

bigkrev

Honestly KlK from what I saw has equal parts male and female fan service and its kind of meta fan service without spoiling the plot

It doesn't really matter what gender the fanservice is- i'm still against it. It's something that is mostly unique to Japanese things, that serves to remind you "Oh yeah, they need to sell this stuff to TERRIBLE people who are only going to buy the game if this 30 seconds is included". It's not something common at all in Western media- just look at Game of Thrones. They filled the first season with Sexpositon and nudity, and people noticed it, for better or for worse. There is significantly less of it now, after the show runners took the feedback of "Well, it's really awkward to watch this with my parents/wife/friends", and realized that it was turning people off of the show.

There are thousands of super talented artists on Pixiv and the like to create all the "fanservice" type stuff for your show that you should not need to put it in the actual product. Hell, you can even take the Koga Yun approach, who has written several super interesting doujins for her own series, Loveless. If you have no interest in it, you will never encounter it. That's the way it should be

daveo42

Banned

But Kill La Kill seems to emphasize extreme wackiness, lewdness, fanservice, and shock value, all things I don't really look or care for. Those sorts of things don't resonate with me much. So people saying 'HOLY SHIT OMG" and "this will never ever air on TV" only strengthen my perception that Kill La Kill is not a show I would personally enjoy, because of the nature of the reactions to seemingly every episode, not solely because people are excited for it and liking it.

As someone who doesn't mind fanservice, I can understand why people wouldn't care for it and there is definitely a limit to what I can stomach. KLK definitely has pushed that and I wouldn't suggest it is for everyone based on that alone.

The demo let me get more of a feel for the world and game rather than feeling spoiled by the jobs or monsters. It just got me more excited about how great the game felt without actually having any real spoilers in it.

It doesn't really matter what gender the fanservice is- i'm still against it. It's something that is mostly unique to Japanese things, that serves to remind you "Oh yeah, they need to sell this stuff to TERRIBLE people who are only going to buy the game if this 30 seconds is included". It's not something common at all in Western media- just look at Game of Thrones. They filled the first season with Sexpositon and nudity, and people noticed it, for better or for worse. There is significantly less of it now, after the show runners took the feedback of "Well, it's really awkward to watch this with my parents/wife/friends", and realized that it was turning people off of the show.

There are thousands of super talented artists on Pixiv and the like to create all the "fanservice" type stuff for your show that you should not need to put it in the actual product. Hell, you can even take the Koga Yun approach, who has written several super interesting doujins for her own series, Loveless. If you have no interest in it, you will never encounter it. That's the way it should be

Canon fan service > fan made fan service

I can look at an infinite number of hentai but when its canon by the author (see SAO) its far more enjoyable

The "fanservice" in KLK is a blantant meta-parody/reconstruction of the concept of the female/male gaze that it's hard to even call it fanservice at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom