• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I will say I think contextually SAO is far more poisonous than KLK, mainly because KLK doesn't pretend to be anything other than batshit insane

Maybe that's what I find most egregious about SAO. It kind of presents its ideas with the expectations that the audience will simply buy into it as normal.

It was a neat place to watch old pokémon on add free. Plus various time they ran Samurai Jack and the DCU shows along with other CN staples. but yeah. Most memorable for their trippy Boomerang ads.

I just recently started watching some Teen Titans episodes on the channel.

There are more cartoons that interest me on Boomerang than the ones currently running on CN.

No I'm just saying "You don't like X? Well I know you like Y and Y is shit so your opinion is shit" or some derivative is poor debate form. If you were actually interested in debating his opinion, assuming you disagreed with it (I never meant to imply whether you did or didn't), you have to argue specifics. Then again, you probably were just joking so whateves :p

I don't know what that will mean for the channel's lineup so I have no idea how to feel about that :/

Yeah I probably should have made it a bit more obvious I was teasing

I will say I think contextually SAO is far more poisonous than KLK, mainly because KLK doesn't pretend to be anything other than batshit insane

Maybe that's what I find most egregious about SAO. It kind of presents its ideas with the expectations that the audience will simply buy into it as normal.

I'm not too clear on what you're trying to convey here. The level of wackiness determines what extremes are acceptable to be shown on screen? SAO bothers you because it doesn't go insane enough with its story/animation/etc and that makes it worse for the overall series?

I find it interesting that you and others are saying things like:

i think to watch klk you just kind of have to accept that it's really fucking stupid about a lot of things

When I and others said similar things about SAO. That you can just enjoy something while putting aside some of its flaws. We were told that that was an excuse that just couldn't fly and the show was still garbage.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I see I'm not the only who watches DBZ Abridged here lol.

I just watched the latest one while eating dinner.
Just watched it as well, not too long ago.

I really need to get myself to watching Log Horizon again, especially now that I'm on spring break. I stopped at Episode 4 since I got distracted by other stuff.

Jintor

Simply put, context matters.

I'm not too clear on what you're trying to convey here. The level of wackiness determines what extremes are acceptable to be shown on screen? SAO bothers you because it doesn't go insane enough with its story/animation/etc and that makes it worse for the overall series?

Pretty much. If SAO revelled in its own stupidity and at least showed signs of being cogniscent that a lot of its bullshit was even happening, it would probably be a more enjoyable show.

When I and others said similar things about SAO. That you can just enjoy something while putting aside some of its flaws. We were told that that was an excuse that just couldn't fly and the show was still garbage.

KLK is garbage too but at least it knows it

I really need to get myself to watching Log Horizon again, especially now that I'm on spring break. I stopped at Episode 4 since I got distracted by other stuff.

Same here, Log Horizon, KlK, Phi brain s3 and gundam build fighters were all awesome

Jintor

To elaborate a little, successful suspension of disbelief is a matter of expectations, and context determines expectations. You don't expect the same standards for every piece of media, so the way in which a piece of media presents itself will determine what every individual finds acceptable or unacceptable about that thing. I don't expect to get the same things out of a show like Cowboy Bebop as I do for a show like Panty and Stocking, for example. KLK trades on a very shock-humour kind of appeal where it's very clear that the show will push boundaries and generally be rude, crass and heavily sexualised; it may not be 100% successful at being funny while handling this material, but you know what you're getting into. SAO on the other hand presents itself more generally as a kind of standard adventure-fantasy type affair, which is why when it begins to bring up issues it isn't prepared to resolve or deal with it becomes more of a problem.

Or to put it another way, you expect to see boobs at a R18+ movie, but not at a PG one.

I am exhuasted, spent time building a minature bridge for a club, did homework, been watching pokemon , klk and mulan with my gf and will now watch hercules .

LOLDSFAN

That reminds me...

I'm on Spring Break too. I'm afraid I'll be missing Toonami this week since I'll be flying to California tomorrow. :<

Jintor

Just got ganked by the red mage boss in Bravely default, gonna try equpping my party with reflect rings to see if it works better

him casting group lightning and you bouncing it all back in his face is glorious.

His stupid revenge class ability really gives me the shits tho

MikeMyers

Coming to California, join LA-ToonamiGAF

I am exhuasted, spent time building a minature bridge for a club, did homework, been watching pokemon , klk and mulan with my gf and will now watch hercules .

I tried to watch Hercules and it didnt age well for me. James Woods is great, but it was basically an Aladdin rehash.

It's all over the place thematically and Hercules just doesn't make a compelling hero. The gospel music as a theme cracks me up though.

Where do you get those? He's been giving me trouble as well.

Its a norende accessory shop item level 4 or 5 cost 10,000 but thanks to elixir mammon that isn't too hard. Its really my only option because even with abate lightning or lightning resist gear if I loop his cura/thundara attack into a turn where he can't act I don't have enough hp to survive and if I don't loop his he always charms my ranger tiz who one shots someone. Easiest way to do this fight would be to come back later when you have the reflect spell and 4 reflect rings and just do the above loop I mentioned. He'll heal you then damage himself and you can just wail on him till he dies

I wouldn't bother with the reflect rings since I don't think they're permanent. Anti-charm is more useful.

It doesn't need to last a long time, just a few turns so I can do something like this

Turn 1- unleash special attacks and hopefully have him gain an extra point of brave from revenge

Turn 2- use items to heal and or default while he thundara/cura's into my reflect balancing each other out and putting him in negative

Turn 3- everyone b attacks while he's in the negative, hopefully putting him positive again probably save a special attack and use it here to restart the songs

Turn 4- repeat of turn 2

Turn 5- all in brave should kill him

Taking advantage of the second level staff's special ability to add an elemental weakness to a foe and then blasting it with sword magic and ara level spells make boss fights pretty easy provided they don't one round half your team on hard mode

MikeMyers

Amazon sent my an email saying they have up to 51% off on select anime Blurays, the email gave FMA 2009, Fairy Tail, and Soul Eater as examples. Just a heads up.

To elaborate a little, successful suspension of disbelief is a matter of expectations, and context determines expectations. You don't expect the same standards for every piece of media, so the way in which a piece of media presents itself will determine what every individual finds acceptable or unacceptable about that thing. I don't expect to get the same things out of a show like Cowboy Bebop as I do for a show like Panty and Stocking, for example. KLK trades on a very shock-humour kind of appeal where it's very clear that the show will push boundaries and generally be rude, crass and heavily sexualised; it may not be 100% successful at being funny while handling this material, but you know what you're getting into. SAO on the other hand presents itself more generally as a kind of standard adventure-fantasy type affair, which is why when it begins to bring up issues it isn't prepared to resolve or deal with it becomes more of a problem.

Or to put it another way, you expect to see boobs at a R18+ movie, but not at a PG one.

Yeah we talked about the suspension of disbelief thing before. I get what you mean now and I am glad to get clarity on your stance. It makes sense when you put it like that.

It's interesting to me that you say it's garbage and it knows it is. That's a quite different stance than some of the individuals (not necessarily in this thread) calling it AOTY. I'm not sure something can be both garbage and AOTY...but that is definitely the slice of life and difference of opinion.

Earlier in this thread I contemplated calling KLK dumb (positive) trash (negative) while also stating how I like it, I think that still applies .

Jintor

I kind of see it in the same general area as a grindhouse film. Now, even a really well put together grindhouse film is... still kinda schlocky and b-grade and trashy, but that doesn't stop it being fun, even if it's problematic.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kill la Kill is really cut from the same mold as Gurren Lagann, just the manly badass shirtless dudes are all women.

Seda

I think i saw something about a Milos thing on netflix wasnt sure what that was about.

Sacred Star of Milos is an original movie, and it's not bad.

There are 3(?) OVA episodes too. The Blind Alchemist, Simple People, and Tales of the Master.

Reading the titles is helping me to remember these, haha.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sacred Star of Milos is an original movie, and it's not bad.

There are 3(?) OVA episodes too. The Blind Alchemist, Simple People, and Tales of the Master.

Reading the titles is helping me to remember these, haha.

4 OAVs, four. Looks like you missed one. :p

Seda

4 OAVs, four. Looks like you missed one. :p

Ah right, the Mustang one ("Yet Another Man's Battlefield"). I think I got the Izumi episode title wrong too.

I know I've scene all four, but I barely remember them. I should probably watch them again.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh god this second one is hilarious. It should be called Operation: Bribery. Winry really reminds me of a girl a knew growing up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Izumi one just gave me a severe case of emotional whiplash...

"and that's how our true love was forged over a bear carcass!"

MikeMyers

Started watching the filler stuff that Man God is on. Didn't realize Anko was the girl from the Chuin Exams..

EDIT - Holy shit I need a screencap of animal Sakura/Ino in the ending credits.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
OpNagrml.jpg

9xQhmWs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom