• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be skipping star wars. Stupid stupid decision, only star wars stuff I like is 4-6. Why toonami?
Because it aired at around 12:30 on [adult swim] and had solid ratings. Throw in the TOONAMI bump and it will do great. Not to mention it becomes like the 4th/5th best show on the block IMHO.

also I don't know what you mean by 4-6. The movies you mean?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Meh on Clone Wars. Never cared for the Star Wars cartoons...

& cool, Eva 2.22 airing. Considering how well 1.11 did (about million viewers), nice to hear this. Looking forward to rewatching it. Wonder if they'll get 3.33 as well later in the future.

mhs004

Because it aired at around 12:30 on [adult swim] and had solid ratings. Throw in the TOONAMI bump and it will do great. Not to mention it becomes like the 4th/5th best show on the block IMHO.

also I don't know what you mean by 4-6. The movies you mean?

Yea the only movies I can tolerate are the old ones. I've watched all though. I guess ill give it a try my cousin has been telling me its pretty good. Just kind of shocked.

Seda

judging from seeing the original series, EoE, and the first two Rebuild movies, it seems to me that Rebuild is more than just a remake...I won't go into specifics.

Yes, I've heard of some of the 'theories' (perhaps not the right word, I really don't know much about the series) with what the rebuild movies actually are, which require knowing the original series first.

Also, since there was discussion about it yesterday:

jaudpfG.png

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So at the very least, P&S was considered and Funimation proposed the idea. Wonder if they'll reconsider once some of the other shows finish airing. At the very least, I can understand wanting to get One Piece/being a better fit since they know that'll last years and guaranteed to bring a good amount of viewers.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
except i'm not referring to the first three hours, i'm referring to the first two. Bleach and Naruto getting between 1.1 to 1.3 million is pretty standard, while One Piece and Soul Eater getting from 900k to 1.1 million is standard as well. this week saw no real change from that; it was business as usual apart from SAO kicking IGPX's ass. what i'm saying is that i expected (or hoped) SAO would bring in an audience beyond what appears to be the usual crowd. and maybe next week that'll be true.

Why would Sword Art Online in the third hour make the first two hours magically stronger? A show at 2 am isn't going to make Bleach's numbers at midnight so much stronger. Sword Art Online DID bring in an audience beyond what the show that used to be in its timeslot did, by an order of a couple hundred thousand.

That's like assuming that the NFL pregame show at noon on a Sunday is going to make the show airing at 10 am on that network so much stronger because people just can't wait for football to start.

EDIT: Clone Wars used to air on Adult Swim Action, so it's not new to the block (depending on the episodes aired...I think they only previously showed the first season or two on Adult Swim).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
dont got much problem with it, being a starwars fan but also apparently the seasons get better as it goes along and eventually gets amazing

Levyne

Banned
Maybe this has already be re-shared but:

Q:Since you guys are planning on skipping over the fluff in the Star Wars series, does this mean there's hope for skipping the filler arcs in Naruto?
A:Nope.

nooooo

Seda

dont got much problem with it, being a starwars fan but also apparently the seasons get better as it goes along and eventually gets amazing

There's already plenty of stuff on Toonami I haven't seen, and heck I haven't seen Clone Wars either, and while it's not something I'm excited to watch I don't have much issue with it.

I didn't expect a new acquisition or anything like that. Those will probably come when Soul Eater and Sword Art Online end.

foxuzamaki

There's already plenty of stuff on Toonami I haven't seen, and heck I haven't seen Clone Wars either, and while it's not something I'm excited to watch I don't have much issue with it.

I didn't expect a new acquisition or anything like that. Those will probably come when Soul Eater and Sword Art Online end.

starwars clone wars is literally the only show on toonami that i havent seen before(well besides a few shows that ended already) so im all for it so im not technically rewatching an old show, from my memory it doesnt start out as good but i remember it picking up and like the last like 5 years before it was canceled it had alot of praise

ckohler

I liked the Clone Wars CGI series. I thought it was very well done.

On a side note, the Toonami Tumblr page is one of the worst designed pages ever. What is that, a font for ants?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
NxTAHk6.png

dun

dun

dun

Ugh fuck this, I'm going to Gaming
*sees Gaming is in full retard mode because of Nintendo*
Never mind,.

Look, if you're not going to cut the filler, the least you could do is move Naruto to like 3:30 in the morning when it hits the filler hell.

UUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH. Why Clone Wars? I really hate that show. It's sooooooo boring. At least they'll be skipping the filler there. I'd probably blow my brains out if I had to suffer through some of that.

Why would Sword Art Online in the third hour make the first two hours magically stronger? A show at 2 am isn't going to make Bleach's numbers at midnight so much stronger. Sword Art Online DID bring in an audience beyond what the show that used to be in its timeslot did, by an order of a couple hundred thousand.

That's like assuming that the NFL pregame show at noon on a Sunday is going to make the show airing at 10 am on that network so much stronger because people just can't wait for football to start.

why is it impossible for Sword Art Online to bring in an audience for the other shows, exactly? people stick around and watch other things, or tune in early. it can bring in new people who never checked the block out before, and you'll excuse me if i don't believe all of them are going to watch at 2am and never even glance at anything else.

Q&A Catchup:

looking at Eureka Seven: AO (dammit)

pleased with SAO's ratings, highly unlikely it will move from its current timeslot unless it gets much better ratings

Bebop will rest "eventually"

regarding IGPX, Big O, and Bebop ending the same week: "some of them will rerun" (i'd guess IGPX)

won't be expanding any time soon

promos are done a week or two ahead, voiceover is recorded a week before or the week of

no immediate plans for a Big O promo, but it's a possibility

"doubtful, but we'll see" on the unfinished Clone Wars season 6 material

Sword Art Online was the single most requested show. also, Aniplex gave them a deal.

the unconvincing response to skipping Clone wars episodes being like skipping filler: "With Clone Wars, we just feel there are some clear points that aren’t necessary and might be a little too kiddy to show. We may even eventually air those episodes, but not for a while. Moreover, these are episodes that have already aired on CN many times, unlike, say, Bleach premieres. “Filler" (as in, a tv based arc that varies from the story of a manga) is a totally different thing. If we had NEW PREMIERE Clone Wars eps, we wouldn’t skip a one!" also: "We’re going to do our best to curate the good eps and lose the sllllloooow/kiddie eps."

Naruto is advertised as uncut to differentiate itself from the episodes that already ran on CN; One Piece gets no such distinction because these episodes were never aired before.

tons of mixed messages on the mystery show. first they don't know what the mystery show refers to, then Clone Wars is not the mystery show, then "we guess so?"

on assuming that the 2003 Clone Wars was unavailable, and so they went for the new one: "you know what they say about assuming..." (sounds like they went for the new one despite having a choice between the two)

"We haven’t “rejected" anything. We have two very successful Viz shows on the air at present, and until/unless one of them is removed from the block, we don’t have any availability for more. We’ll see what the future holds." (only two VIZ shows available at a time, maybe?)

Thundercats shall never return.

on classics: "They’re expensive, and we’re not really interested in becoming a “classic" block, to be honest."

didn't mention Brotherhood getting a break after this run when asked why it's been on the block every week (though that doesn't necessarily mean it'll rerun, either)

"not likely" to get a promo for Eureka Seven's final episodes

Eureka Seven will most likely never return. as for its ratings, it "did just fine"

Evangelion 2.22 will get a promo.

the original Thundercats is too old.

Toonami's most successful shows:
1. DBZ
2. Naruto
3. Bleach
4. Gundam Wing

"We’re not sure if it will be possible to get the unedited versions [of Clone Wars], but we’re looking into it." also "we'll look into it" in regards to airing Clone Wars in its correct aspect ratio.

Panty and Stocking is "unlikely"

"we working on that right now" in regards to Eureka Seven's final episode being cut at the beginning or not.

Clone Wars is "practically free"

looks like they plan to air Naruto in its entirety.

Sweet clone wars in pretty awesome show.

Been wanton to rewatch it.

Also second Eva movie is pretty swell as well

Guessing they will air naruto till the shipuden rights at up they can get them.

foxuzamaki

Q&A Catchup:

looking at Eureka Seven: AO (dammit)

pleased with SAO's ratings, highly unlikely it will move from its current timeslot unless it gets much better ratings

Bebop will rest "eventually"

regarding IGPX, Big O, and Bebop ending the same week: "some of them will rerun" (i'd guess IGPX)

won't be expanding any time soon

promos are done a week or two ahead, voiceover is recorded a week before or the week of

no immediate plans for a Big O promo, but it's a possibility

"doubtful, but we'll see" on the unfinished Clone Wars season 6 material

Sword Art Online was the single most requested show. also, Aniplex gave them a deal.

the unconvincing response to skipping Clone wars episodes being like skipping filler: "With Clone Wars, we just feel there are some clear points that aren’t necessary and might be a little too kiddy to show. We may even eventually air those episodes, but not for a while. Moreover, these are episodes that have already aired on CN many times, unlike, say, Bleach premieres. “Filler" (as in, a tv based arc that varies from the story of a manga) is a totally different thing. If we had NEW PREMIERE Clone Wars eps, we wouldn’t skip a one!" also: "We’re going to do our best to curate the good eps and lose the sllllloooow/kiddie eps."

Naruto is advertised as uncut to differentiate itself from the episodes that already ran on CN; One Piece gets no such distinction because these episodes were never aired before.

tons of mixed messages on the mystery show. first they don't know what the mystery show refers to, then Clone Wars is not the mystery show, then "we guess so?"

on assuming that the 2003 Clone Wars was unavailable, and so they went for the new one: "you know what they say about assuming..." (sounds like they went for the new one despite having a choice between the two)

"We haven’t “rejected" anything. We have two very successful Viz shows on the air at present, and until/unless one of them is removed from the block, we don’t have any availability for more. We’ll see what the future holds." (only two VIZ shows available at a time, maybe?)

Thundercats shall never return.

on classics: "They’re expensive, and we’re not really interested in becoming a “classic" block, to be honest."

didn't mention Brotherhood getting a break after this run when asked why it's been on the block every week (though that doesn't necessarily mean it'll rerun, either)

"not likely" to get a promo for Eureka Seven's final episodes

Eureka Seven will most likely never return. as for its ratings, it "did just fine"

Evangelion 2.22 will get a promo.

the original Thundercats is too old.

Toonami's most successful shows:
1. DBZ
2. Naruto
3. Bleach
4. Gundam Wing

"We’re not sure if it will be possible to get the unedited versions [of Clone Wars], but we’re looking into it." also "we'll look into it" in regards to airing Clone Wars in its correct aspect ratio.

Panty and Stocking is "unlikely"

"we working on that right now" in regards to Eureka Seven's final episode being cut at the beginning or not.

Clone Wars is "practically free"

looks like they plan to air Naruto in its entirety.
Sucks that P&A is unlikely, have they said anything about shippuden? I can't believe anybody hasent asked about that yet

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Didn't Disney XD or whatever air Shippuden for some time? Would they still have the rights? Edit: Hmm, Disney aired it back in 2009-ish, it's on Anime Neon at the moment, so maybe it wouldn't be as hard as I thought.

& kind of disappointing to hear P&S is less likely now, considering I recall that was one of the more requested shows (kind of surprised to hear SAO was also highly requested). Mixed on E7: AO. Wouldn't mind seeing it since I overall liked E7, but I heard it suffered from going into another "WTF" spiral with some later episodes.

what in the fucking hell is wrong with people

it takes all kinds to make this world great

foxuzamaki said:
Sucks that P&A is unlikely, have they said anything about shippuden? I can't anybody hasent asked about that yet

i didn't see anything, but it looks like they plan to air all the filler for Naruto (though i'd imagine if they have the opportunity to air Shippuden instead and it's not a hell of a lot more expensive they'd go for that no matter what they say here). also can you not quote the whole post? :p

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Didn't Disney XD or whatever air Shippuden for some time? Would they still have the rights? Edit: Hmm, Disney aired it back in 2009-ish, it's on Anime Neon at the moment, so maybe it wouldn't be as hard as I thought.

& kind of disappointing to hear P&S is less likely now, considering I recall that was one of the more requested shows (kind of surprised to hear SAO was also highly requested). Mixed on E7: AO. Wouldn't mind seeing it since I overall liked E7, but I heard it suffered from going into another "WTF" spiral with some later episodes.

We've gone over Shippuden. Disney aired it in 2009, but stopped in 2011 when they saw how violent later episodes got. They're sitting on the rights because Disney gonna Disney.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Content aside, Panties and Stocking is likely a bit too comedy focused for Toonami, or maybe that is the perception Toonami has at least.

why is it impossible for Sword Art Online to bring in an audience for the other shows, exactly? people stick around and watch other things, or tune in early. it can bring in new people who never checked the block out before, and you'll excuse me if i don't believe all of them are going to watch at 2am and never even glance at anything else.

Because it's far more likely the viewers of the known property, be it Bleach, Naruto or One Piece, will check out and tell others to check out SAO than it is for SAO to bring viewers to the block, because it's not as known of a property. It's not impossible, mind you, just not as likely.

As much as people want P&S, I am very afraid it would lose its edge on broadcast TV. I also hold the opinion it's not really a Toonami show, though it would work as an Adult Swim show.

Clone Wars? Never watched it, but I'll give it a shot. Don't think it will hurt to have something Star Wars related in the lineup in any case.

And yay! 2.22! I can wait on buying the Blu-Ray again.

Azure J

Oh God, another EVA night? Cool. Clone Wars is neither here or there for me, but then someone mentioned the Gennedy version and now I'm all sad. HxH would make for an amazing pickup, but I do agree with people who say that we might be hitting the quota for longish running shonen properties on the block already.

I still want Jojo on the block... ;_;

Because it's far more likely the viewers of the known property, be it Bleach, Naruto or One Piece, will check out and tell others to check out SAO than it is for SAO to bring viewers to the block, because it's not as known of a property. It's not impossible, mind you, just not as likely.

however, SAO holds appeal outside of those shows, to people who might not be compelled to tune in for Bleach/Naruto/One Piece/Soul Eater. they're different and all, but they largely appeal to the same group of people.

foxuzamaki

what in the fucking hell is wrong with people

it takes all kinds to make this world great

i didn't see anything, but it looks like they plan to air all the filler for Naruto (though i'd imagine if they have the opportunity to air Shippuden instead and it's not a hell of a lot more expensive they'd go for that no matter what they say here). also can you not quote the whole post? :p

sorry, i was on my phone so its not the most intuitive to delete specific suff on it lol

mhs004

I know that it probably won't happen and people have mixed feelings about it but I want Toriko on toonami. It's my favorite shonen currently. Good replacement for soul eater.

Well, being that people liked Symbionic & Thundercats SOOOO MUCH,

I bet they decided that it might be safe to bring another CN-aired classic to revive Thundercats' slot. Then, Clone Wars was born.

NOW, regarding 2.22, I saw that coming.
No matter how much I didn't wanna see it :(

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'd rather have Genndy's Clone Wars honestly. It was just so goddamn good. Part of me wishes they would give him the next Star Wars movie. I know his skills probably wouldn't translate well from animation to live action, but damn I'd love to see what he'd do.

Fuck yeah another EVA night. And they said that there is something special for that night as well, maybe they will show the first english trailer for 3.33.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom