• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
IGPX started out slow but has been really solid the past 5 weeks. After the rematch against Team Velshtein the show started to "click" for me and I've been really enjoying it. Pacing issues aside, the production is top notch. Great voice acting, amazing music, cool races (when we get them), talking cats...what more could you want?

Oh, and Liz is the baddest chick on the block no doubt. I would definitely wife her up if I was Takashi.

SAO is stupid fun, especially this first arc. I love the whole MMORPG with real life consequences angle, even if the execution is poor.

IGPX has gotten more competent as time has gone onwards, yet it is still a pretty bland series that really loves its sports cliches all of a sudden.

Sword Art Online is stupid, but I have no fun with it, because a lot of the stupid comes from a fundamental lack of understanding of how MMOs actually work. Look, you want the MMORPG with consequence thing, Dot Hack did this better.

Objective facts below.

Garbage Tier:
Bleach
Naruto Filler
Sword Art Online
That one show I can't recall

Barely Above Garbage Tier:
One Piece Filler
IGPX
Thundercats (2011)
Samurai 7

Mid Tier:
Naruto
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Inuyasha

High Tier:
Big O
Deadman Wonderland
Casshern Sins
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Top Tier:
One Piece
Soul Eater (so far)
Eureka seveN (well, in subbed form, anyway)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
Sym-Bionic Titan

Deal with it.

put IGPX, Casshern Sins, and Big O in "mid" and you've got a deal.

Tamanon

Banned
Bad:
Tenchi Muyo GXP
IGPX
Thundercats

Boring:
One Piece
Eureka 7
Inuyasha

OK:
Naruto
Deadman Wonderland
Big O
Samurai 7

Good:
Bleach
Cowboy Bebop(too many rewatches)
Soul Eater

Great:
Symbionic Titan
Casshern Sins

Still have the two Sword Art Onlines to watch since I was gone the last week or so.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yes, yes it is, but is still better then the Sword Art Online, which was written by a 14 year old who has never played an MMORPG up to that point.

Pretty much.
As boring as .hack got, you could at least tell the writers have played MMORPGs in the past.
SAO is.... awful.

Seda

My list is pretty much like Meta's only knock Deadman Wonderland and Eureka down a peg. Maybe Soul Eater as well.

Also I find myself double taking on each one of Batdan's posts because I don't recognize him.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Deadman Wonderland is really mid-tier in terms of its actual quality, but the entertainment factor (especially of the Toonami version) gives it a boost.

It's sort of like Code Geass, which would be near garbage status if it weren't for the fact that it loops around into being massively and incredibly stupidly entertaining.

JCG

Deadman Wonderland is really mid-tier in terms of its actual quality, but the entertainment factor (especially of the Toonami version) gives it a boost.

It's sort of like Code Geass, which would be near garbage status if it weren't for the fact that it loops around into being massively and incredibly stupidly entertaining.

That's quite a bit of an exaggeration, in both cases, especially since I really couldn't get into Deadman Wonderland at all.

I'm all for things being stupidly entertaining though, but DW just wasn't interesting enough to hold my attention at the time.

Still, if it works for you...I guess that's fine.

That's quite a bit of an exaggeration, in both cases, especially since I really couldn't get into Deadman Wonderland at all.

I'm all for things being stupidly entertaining though, but DW just wasn't interesting enough to hold my attention at the time.

Still, if it works for you...I guess that's fine.

All shows are more fun with GAF at least in the case of Deadman Wonderland.

If that's how you feel about those shows you'll love SAO by the end :3

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Geass was amazing if only for Charles. The dub really didn't do the original voice any justice.

Seda

I'm back, bitches!

inzFJYJdP45RN.gif

Bad:
Tenchi Muyo GXP
E7
Thundercats

OK:
Samurai 7
Deadman Wonderland
Inuyasha
Cowboy Bebop
Sword Art Online
Ghost in the Shell

Good:
Casshern Sins
IGPX
One Piece
Naruto
Big O

Great:
Symbionic Titan
Bleach
Soul Eater

Come at me

Jintor

Fuck Yes
Soul Eater (to date)
Ghost in the Shell SAC
Cowboy Bebop
Symbionic Titan

Pretty Rad
Casshern Sins

Seems Legit
One Piece (so far)
Deadman Wonderland

Not Interesting Enough For Me To Actually Watch
Naruto
Eureka 7
IGPX

Actually Painful
Bleach
Thundercats
Sword Art Online

Wish I Could Go Back In Time and Destroy The Original Animation Cels
GXP

I have no opinion on Big O because I don't want to watch s2 right now. Same for Inuyasha.

JCG

If that's how you feel about those shows you'll love SAO by the end :3

There's plenty of people who can enjoy at least one of those shows but don't care for SAO though. And, of course, vice versa.

Geass was amazing if only for Charles. The dub really didn't do the original voice any justice.

Yet it was still a pretty good dub overall. I didn't think the English voice actor did a bad job.

Raxus

How many canon episodes of canon Soul Eater do we have left?

I dunno if I should wait for the series to be over to start the manga or to start the manga as soon as the canon material runs dry.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
How many canon episodes of canon Soul Eater do we have left?

I dunno if I should wait for the series to be over to start the manga or to start the manga as soon as the canon material runs dry.

About 13 or so.
I'd wait until we're closer to the split before starting the manga. Start from the beginning as things do go a bit differently at certain points.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There's plenty of people who can enjoy at least one of those shows but don't care for SAO though. And, of course, vice versa.

Yet it was still a pretty good dub overall. I didn't think the English voice actor did a bad job.

Yea he didn't do a bad job, but he had an indoor voice. Japanese Charles had no concept of an indoor voice, it was all yelling in a booming voice all the time. It was goddamn hilarious, combined with those amazing facial expressions made him the funniest character in ages.

Yea he didn't do a bad job, but he had an indoor voice. Japanese Charles had no concept of an indoor voice, it was all yelling in a booming voice all the time. It was goddamn hilarious, combined with those amazing facial expressions made him the funniest character in ages.

Just turn up the volume everytime Charles talks and turn it down whenever anyone else does, it'll have the same effect :p

;-)
Agreed. Doubt I would watch Toonami without you guys.

Outside of about 2 shows I've seen just about everything that's on Toonami right now (at least in some form) and/or the shows are horrible. This thread is the sole reason I have to even consider watching it really, that and being an insomniac with nothing better to watch on a saturday night/sunday morning.

yami4ct

We doing rankings? Ok, how about this

Never watched:
Thundercats
IGPX
Symbionic Titan (Know it's good, just cannot stand the art)
Thundercats
Clone Wars

Garbage Tier:
Tenchi GPX
Deadman Wonderland
Naruto Filler
Bleach Filler
SAO 2nd part
Samurai 7

Barely Watchable Tier:
Anything Bleach past like 1/2 way through the SS arc
SAO First Part
Last 1/3 of FMA Brotherhood
Naruto post sound ninja arc
One Piece Filler

Decent Fun Tier:
Early Bleach
Early Naruto
InuYasha

Good Tier:
Later One Piece (Post Shabondy)

Great Tier:
Eureka Seven
Big O
Earlier One Piece (excluding the Skypia arc which is garbage tier)
Soul Eater (so far)
FMA:Brotherhod first 2/3
Casshern Sins

God Tier:
Cowboy Bebop

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hmmm, yes, yes, since we are doing rankings, I suppose I should give my tiers of the Toonami programming as they stand now.

The Tier of Greatness
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
FLCL
Soul Eater
Sym-Bionic Titan
One Piece (depending on the arc)

The Tier of Good

Deadman Wonderland
Casshern Sins
The Big O Season 2
Reebuild of Evangellion 1.11

The Tier Of Alright

Naruto (Save for the Filler from Hell)
Star Wars: Clone Wars
Inuyasha
IGPX

The Tier Everlasting Hatred of a Thousand Burning Suns
Samurai Seven
Bleach (Post Soul-Society)
Thundercats 2011
Eureka Seven
Tenchi Muyo GXP
Sword Art Online

Read before but haven't seen

Naruto
Bleach
Full metal alchemist
Deadman wonderland

Seen before subbed

One piece
Sword art online

Seen before dubbed

Cowboy bebop

First time viewing any format

Soul eater
Igpx
Big o season 2

Will watch later as I missed them and haven't seen before or need to catch up

Eureka 7
Gits
Samurai 7
Casshern sins
Inuyasha

Lol nope

Gxp

-----

Best tier

One piece (minus foxy)
Cowboy bebop
Full metal alchemist

Great tier

Big o
Naruto (every after land of waves and before time skip)
Bleach (everything up to hueco mundo)

Average tier

Bleach (most parts of hueco mundo/arracar war and fullbringer)
Naruto (everything up to land of waves)
Sao (first 2 episodes)
Igpx
Deadman wonderland

Bad tier

One piece (foxy arc and filler)
Bleach (the other parts of hueco mundo/arracar war and filler)
Naruto (filler)

So bad it's good tier

Sao (everything after episode 2)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, you reminded me that I should add an addendum to Bleach's placement. You can put the Soul Society arc into the Mid Tier on my list. The rest of Bleach stays where it is, though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece Tier:

One Piece

One Piece Filler Tier:
One Piece (non manga canon episodes)

Child Abuse Tier:
Eureka 7

Good Naruto Tier:
Naruto seasons 1-5

Eureka Seven has some nice music and visuals, but can be really really boring at times and we probably shouldn't get started on the characters.

Is that really your problem with the arc? Keep an open mind dude, shit gets realer than real.

That was a tongue in cheek response
but I really do have a problem with the enemies being generic talking bugs/animals, it's ridiculous. I know what happens and shit gets real stupid, Yorknew makes this look like Naruto filler.

Top Tier:
Casshern Sins
One Piece
Eureka Seven
Cowboy Bebop

High Tier:
Inuyasha
Big O
Soul Eater
Symbionic Titan

Mid Tier:
Naruto
FMA: Brotherhood

Low Tier:
Samurai Seven
Thundercats

Shit Tier:
Bleach
Sword Art Online
Deadman Wonderland
IGPX
Tenchi Muyo GXP

mhs004

That was a tongue in cheek response
but I really do have a problem with the enemies being generic talking bugs/animals, it's ridiculous. I know what happens and shit gets real stupid, Yorknew makes this look like Naruto filler.

Stahp plz for toonamigaf's reputation.

In a world where a 12 year old can be a lethal assassin who can create lightning from his body and other hunters turn
real people into video game characters on an island
mcxc is upset about talking bugs. He completely misses the themes and powerful emotional moments of the arc because "bugs are a dumb villain"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom