• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like bleach for what it's worth myself. It's just you're complaints confused me as bleach has holes and kind of stupid things plot wise itself. I would have liked to seen a longer final fight as the whole show was pretty much showing aizen toying with people then ichigo goes and trains and destroys him with ease even if he trained in months time. Aizen's evolution was kind of meh also could have been better looking with better powers. I like chad to I wanted him to be more important hopefully in the final arc he wrecks shit up.

.....that's my line

I said the Chimera Ant arc sucked, not the whole series. Prior to this abomination of story telling I had nothing but praise for Hunter x Hunter but its gotten progressively worse in my eyes. The Hunter Examination, Zoldyck Family, Heavens Arena, and Yorknew City arcs were all God tier. Greed Island was disappointing but I can appreciate it. The Chimera Ant arc is full of bad writing, uninspired characters, and bullshit villains. I've been critical of Bleach plenty and think it has crappy arcs too. The Substitute Captain and Fullbring arcs are awful in my opinion and I've expressed that numerous times.

As for your complaints, character design (art) is subjective (so I respect your opinion) and the final fight was satisfying for me. Watching the master overpowered troll get absolutely manhandled when nobody could touch him all series was awesome and there was a fair trade off for the power Ichigo received.

Jintor

I think the funniest thing about Aizen getting trolled is
the theory they have that because the magic wish stone grants magic wishes they think he subconsciously wanted himself to be defeated.

That's right.

Aizen is so fucking powerful he could only be defeated by trolling himself.

Jintor

God, I shouldn't get drawn into a pioneer argument though lol so i've hidden my post so you'll only see it if you quote this post.

God, I shouldn't get drawn into a pioneer argument though lol so i've hidden my post so you'll only see it if you quote this post.

I get that and don't give a crap if he likes Bleach or not; why would I worry about what some random dude on the internet thinks about a children's cartoon? I stan for Bleach and post my opinion on it but really couldn't care less what other people think, I've never tried to make anyone in this thread into a fan. All I've done is argue about the quality of the show and bitch about the occasional Andrex spoiler (still <3 u).

The point I was making is that the dude knows he doesn't like Bleach but watches anyway every week because it's fun to do so with toonami-gaf. That's called hate watching, it doesn't matter if he thought it was stupid before or after watching because he continues to do so. I don't have a problem with that.

Christ, I'm so unreasonable!

Jintor

Your point was that he was hatewatching so his criticism was invalid (or words to that effect), but I'm saying the hatewatch flows from the criticism. But we're pretty much at a semantic wall again I guess lol

keep fighting the good fight though

Your point was that he was hatewatching so his criticism was invalid (or words to that effect), but I'm saying the hatewatch flows from the criticism. But we're pretty much at a semantic wall again I guess lol

No, my point was that he'd understand why I thought Gin's death warranted sad emotions if he was a fan. Stop taking what I say out of context and twisting it to fit your argument.

Hates chimera ant arc, thinks gin's death should give people feels

:|

Maybe you'd understand if you didn't watch Bleach just to hate on it

This isn't dismissing criticism. BF's statement didn't even have any criticism in it, it was a response to my criticism of the Chimera Ant arc.

If you're somebody that is emotionally attached to these individuals and enjoys the character backstories, then it would make more sense as to why the Gin death scene had feeling to it. If you're somebody that watches every week because it's fun to bitch with other people then you probably have no emotional investment in the characters and couldn't give two shits what happens to them. That's called hate watching and I've said time and time again that I'm fine with that.

Try a little harder.

Jintor

I don't think that necessarily flows. I could be a fan of LOTR and still have a critical view on the quality of a treatment of, say, Gandalf's death by Balrog, in various adaptations. Merely because Gandalf, a character I like, has died doesn't necessitate that I throw my critical lens out the window. Certainly if you're a fan of a property and of a character it enhances one's attachment to the character, but I don't even necessarily think you need to have any attachment to a character to have an emotional reaction to the way a story is told.

If you're not willing to engage in actual discussion just say so. No need to throw in a jab at the end.

Try a little harder.

I mean, seriously. What are you? Aizen?

I don't think that necessarily flows. I could be a fan of LOTR and still have a critical view on the quality of a treatment of, say, Gandalf's death by Balrog, in various adaptations. Merely because Gandalf, a character I like, has died doesn't necessitate that I throw my critical lens out the window. Certainly if you're a fan of a property and of a character it enhances one's attachment to the character, but I don't even necessarily think you need to have any attachment to a character to have an emotional reaction to the way a story is told.

If you're not willing to engage in actual discussion just say so. No need to throw in a jab at the end.

I mean, seriously. What are you? Aizen?

That would be a good comparison if Bass was a fan of Bleach but I'm pretty sure he's not. I think he tolerates it because it's fun to watch in a group but wouldn't bother sitting through the series if it wasn't on toonami (correct me if I'm wrong Bass). There's a difference between being a fan of something and leveling criticism and not being a fan but still being critical. The latter is called hate watching and that's all I've been trying to convey. Jesus.

And no you don't need to be attached to a character to have an emotional reaction but you obviously would be more likely to do so if you did. That's the point.

I've been engaging in discussion, don't whine when you throw the first jab and get one in return

Jintor

That was sincere. I like your passion for Bleach. It brings a certain je ne sais quoi to the thread.

Look, I'm sure if Bass liked Bleach he would like Bleach. That's difficult to refute. It doesn't really mean anything though. If I recall correctly, our problems with Jin's death not bringing the feels was not really a question of our attachment to him as a character - although certainly, it would have helped - it was about the execution of the episode, which we thought was shit.

I thought it was a jab, it's hard to grasp tone on the internet. The try harder was more of a troll response than an insult, no hard feelings.

I don't see how the execution was flawed. The Matsumoto/Gin backstory was fully explained (hints had been dropped throughout the series up to this point) and it was revealed that Gin was actually trying to stop Aizen, waiting patiently for hundreds of years to learn his zanpaktou's ability while looking for the perfect opportunity to neutralize it after gaining his trust. I mean, what more could you want?

Matsumoto and Gin came from a poor area of soul society but managed to become soul reapers. They clearly loved one another in a brother-sister type way which made his death tragic, especially after it was revealed that he betrayed soul society in order to protect her. That's why it's an emotional yet shocking scene.

Sorry if that was disjointed, I'm on my phone.

Jintor

No hard feelings. Sorry I wrote it like that.

See, if you rewrite the story like that it makes more sense. But the way this is all actually executed, that's a different story. It's so long between plot threads and any of this character establishing moments you just tend to forget it all. And all of this comes out as an infodump right before a character dies, as if the author is saying "Oh, but here's why you should care about these characters" instead of naturally building up audience affection/attachment over time.

Also the dialogue was horrible, but I can't really blame that on Kubo.

Okay now I get where you're coming from. The breadcrumbs are spaced very far apart and it's easy to forgot about plot lines/characters.

The Gotei 13 gives bleach such a huge cast of characters that are constantly in play that Kubo is constantly trying to juggle more things than he can handle at one time. This leads to certain story elements being pushed to the side only to be brought up abruptly with no build up.

Still, I don't have a problem jamming the backstory into the death scene. I feel like it wasn't something the viewer needed to be constantly reminded of considering every character seemingly has some tragic upbringing.

As for the dialogue, I think that's more of an issue with the dub rather than the source material but its been a while since I watched that episode subbed.

Hmm, I just remembered I cant watch Toonami this weekend. Gonna be travelling and staying somewhere without cartoon network (and where I probably shouldn't be staying up until 6 anyways).

In HxH the death of

MAJOR FINALE OF THE CHIMERA ANT ARC SPOILERS!

the king
is sadder and more emotional then Gin's death in Bleach.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
In HxH the death of

MAJOR FINALE OF THE CHIMERA ANT ARC SPOILERS!

the king
is sadder and more emotional then Gin's death in Bleach.

Gin's death isn't even sad or emotional. he's a fucking sadistic, cold as ice, full on villain from literally the second he is intro'd until basically the last 5 minutes of his life.

I've seen inanimate objects get more emotional sendoffs in anime than Gin.

Gin's death isn't even sad or emotional. he's a fucking sadistic, cold as ice, full on villain from literally the second he is intro'd until basically the last 5 minutes of his life.

I've seen inanimate objects get more emotional sendoffs in anime than Gin.

In fairness, the inanimate object you're probably thinking of was sadder than a lot of things ;-;

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm back, bitches!

tumblr_lnazxb8etM1qb55te.gif

It really is something to hear otherwise great voice actors just phoning it in for Bleach

Agreed, the cast just seems so bored reading their scripts during the cannon arcs. The filler episodes are a little better quality wise in my opinion; probably because they're more fun to act out.

Can't we all get along and hate something together?

Like GXP.

But I like GXP

You're safe from Bleach fans here as there is only one here.

There's a few of us in here, I'm just the most outspoken

I thought I was safe from the Bleach fans in the manga thread here, but I guess I was wrong.

1262439180_6348_full.jpeg

really?

Yes, how dare someone like a show you don't like. You don't see me bitching about the One Piece fans here.

My man

At least we can all agree SAO is garbage.

lol I like that too, marathoned through it about a month and a half ago on CR. It's stupid fun.

Pretty much the only show airing on toonami right now that I'm not fond of is E7. I've tried to get into it on 3 separate occasions (subbed in '06, dubbed when it first came to adult swim, and again on toonami) but just lose interest quickly.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
lol I like that too, marathoned through it about a month and a half ago on CR. It's stupid fun.

Pretty much the only show airing on toonami right now that I'm not fond of is E7. I've tried to get into it on 3 separate occasions (subbed in '06, dubbed when it first came to adult swim, and again on toonami) but just lose interest quickly.

There is hope for you yet MCXC. That being said Bleach, IGPX and SAO as all massive shit piles that I will still savage from weeks to week.

mhs004

As long as you like One Piece you're okay in my book.

Seda

Perhaps we can all agree that Cowboy Bebop is great? (separate from any notion of whether or not it's been running for too long)

Not saying that we have to find something everybody agrees with - just curious if there is even one thing that is unanimous in this thread.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Perhaps we can all agree that Cowboy Bebop is great? (separate from any notion of whether or not it's been running for too long)

Not saying that we have to find something everybody agrees with - just curious if there is even one thing that is unanimous in this thread.

I would like to think this is the case.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chimera Ant arc is trash.

Every other arc was ace, this one sucked. Period.

You're new here, but I've explained many times over at length why I like Bleach. I'm not going to post a novel again.

C'mon son.

But I like GXP

lol I like that too, marathoned through it about a month and a half ago on CR.

LarryDavidFainting.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Objective facts below.

Garbage Tier:
Bleach
Naruto Filler
Sword Art Online
That one show I can't recall

Barely Above Garbage Tier:
One Piece Filler
IGPX
Thundercats (2011)
Samurai 7

Mid Tier:
Naruto
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Inuyasha

High Tier:
Big O
Deadman Wonderland
Casshern Sins
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Top Tier:
One Piece
Soul Eater (so far)
Eureka seveN (well, in subbed form, anyway)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
Sym-Bionic Titan

Deal with it.

There is hope for you yet MCXC. That being said Bleach, IGPX and SAO as all massive shit piles that I will still savage from weeks to week.

IGPX started out slow but has been really solid the past 5 weeks. After the rematch against Team Velshtein the show started to "click" for me and I've been really enjoying it. Pacing issues aside, the production is top notch. Great voice acting, amazing music, cool races (when we get them), talking cats...what more could you want?

Oh, and Liz is the baddest chick on the block no doubt. I would definitely wife her up if I was Takashi.

SAO is stupid fun, especially this first arc. I love the whole MMORPG with real life consequences angle, even if the execution is poor.

As long as you like One Piece you're okay in my book.

I do like One Piece! I started reading the manga back in '03 via the American version of Shonen Jump (anyone else remember that?) and stopped around the time they got Chopper as a crew mate. I watched the anime through the Skypeia arc and then quit back in '08 to take a break. Never got back into it but started watching again on toonami. I'm liking what I've seen so far even though I don't understand what's going on very well.

Bebop is okay, you could say I'm neutral towards it. I own and love the movie but just could never get into the series. I've tried to give it a shot 3 or 4 times but just end up getting distracted. I'll watch the occasional random episode on toonami though if I don't decide to tap out after FMA:B.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Garbage
Bleach
Samurai 7
Thundercats
Tenchi Muyo! GXP
IGPX
Sword Art Online

Mid
Deadman Wonderland
InuYasha
Naruto
One Piece

High
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Eureka 7
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Sym-Bionic Titan
Soul Eater
Big O

Classics
Casshern Sins
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig
Cowboy Bebop

Finished The Greed Island Arc. I liked the training in the development of Gon/Killua more than anything. I really don't like the rock/paper/scissors technique and the time it takes to charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom