• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Death Note certainly does (no idea how, it somehow manages to beat One Piece in the overall yearly sales). DBZ probably will soon with the fully-colored manga coming out.

But yeah, the American manga market is pretty weak. At least Attack on Titan is doing well, and it's getting a speed-up.

It doesn't help that there are people like me who would but more manga but don't like the way viz localizes things ie their op translations

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
what's wrong with their translations? (legitimately curious, never really read them)

Zolo.
Early volumes contain 4Kids terms all over. Some still carry like "Portgaz D. Ace" and "Marshall D. Teech". (thankfully the former isn't Trace).
Censorship (Bon Clay is never referred to as a crossdresser and Eneru is referred to as Kami rather than God)
Weird translation choices like...
(CURRENT MANGA ARC SPOILERS)
calling the Dwarves "Little People"
, even though this causes continuity problems. Then again, "Zolo" is a continuity problem as well considering the first four volumes call him Zoro (though they reprinted them to "correct" it).

oh god, they kept Zolo? fuck that. shitty as hell that they force the censorship on people, too. One Piece has spurting blood all over the place, i think the people reading it can handle Eneru calling himself God and Bon Clay being a crossdreser.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
so i happen to be listening to some old naruto openings, and i noticed that they didnt change to the 2nd opening when it did back when it came on OG toonami, i really hope they arent gonna keep the shitty americanize opening just for the sake of shortness, cause that would really suck as naruto has some amazing opening and opening songs

so i happen to be listening to some old naruto openings, and i noticed that they didnt change to the 2nd opening when it did back when it came on OG toonami, i really hope they arent gonna keep the shitty americanize opening just for the sake of shortness, cause that would really suck as naruto has some amazing opening and opening songs

I'm pretty sure they will, only Bleach gets it's full opening played because it leads off the block.

This is my favorite Naruto opening btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqkIKC2zK6M

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My favourite is the S5 Naruto opening.

Go!! is amazing, agreed.

16 weeks until we get to a good opening for Naruto. :(

tumblr_mes4xdlIlE1qj5jqso2_500.gif

tumblr_mes4xdlIlE1qj5jqso3_500.gif

tumblr_mes4xdlIlE1qj5jqso4_500.gif

tumblr_mes4xdlIlE1qj5jqso7_500.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Go!! is amazing, agreed.

16 weeks until we get to a good opening for Naruto. :(

tumblr_mes4xdlIlE1qj5jqso2_500.gif

tumblr_mes4xdlIlE1qj5jqso3_500.gif

tumblr_mes4xdlIlE1qj5jqso4_500.gif

tumblr_mes4xdlIlE1qj5jqso7_500.gif
GO!!! is OP4, not 5.

BassForever said:
Was there ever a reason given as to why the toonami version of naruto had a made up op?
Because that's how Viz released it. Naruto was done during the time that they were still replacing most theme songs on shows like this, especially for kids' TV. Bleach was one of the first major shounens to break convention on US TV, actually, and that was only because it was being directed at an older audience. And even then, Bleach used to have its proper EDs, now it just has the shitty Viz-ified "credits on black screen with random and sometimes spoilery thumbnail screencaps on the side" thing.

It wasn't until Naruto became a hit in the US that they decided to start using Japanese OPs for it (I don't think they ever use the show's actual ED themes).

Aside from that, I don't know if Viz ever had the music rights to Naruto's first OP. That's the reason why Toonami has the wrong ED for One Piece right now.

GO!!! is OP4, not 5.

Because that's how Viz released it. Naruto was done during the time that they were still replacing most theme songs on shows like this, especially for kids' TV. Bleach was one of the first major shounens to break convention on US TV, actually, and that was only because it was being directed at an older audience. And even then, Bleach used to have its proper EDs, now it just has the shitty Viz-ified "credits on black screen with random and sometimes spoilery thumbnail screencaps on the side" thing.

It wasn't until Naruto became a hit in the US that they decided to start using Japanese OPs for it (I don't think they ever use the show's actual ED themes).

Aside from that, I don't know if Viz ever had the music rights to Naruto's first OP. That's the reason why Toonami has the wrong ED for One Piece right now.

Thanks for the info, most of that is fixed on the DVD releases correct?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the info, most of that is fixed on the DVD releases correct?

Seems that way. I think the reason we're not getting them on TV is because they left the Japanese credits on them on the DVD.

And if that's not why then I have no fucking clue. Maybe they just couldn't be arsed to do a cutdown of Rocks when they already had a TV-sized OP to use.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This right here is the best Naruto OP. No question about it.

Cosign. It fits perfectly with that arc and builds up so well. The end of it always makes me feel a little sad, since you know what it is leading to.

Now that I think about Naruto openings got more depressing as time went on during the canon arcs, just because of the tone of things. There are tiny little hints at better times and the happiness everyone once had, but the majority of is just about how dark things are now, and how they're only going to get worse. I suppose it makes sense since going to Part 2 you're dealing with everyone growing up.

EDIT: Tried watching Bleach: Fade to Black last night. I fell asleep no fewer than 5 separate times trying to watch this movie over the past few days. It's not terrible, it just isn't terribly exciting. The amnesia and memory mumbo jumbo just seems like an excuse to try to remind everyone how fun the Soul Society arc was, when Ichigo was running around as an intruder and facing off against all the Captains.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Now as good as some of the Naruto openings were, I think FullMetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood have the most consistently good openings. Almost all of them are really good.

I don't know anything about endings, I rarely pay attention to them. lol

Seda

Now as good as some of the Naruto openings were, I think FullMetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood have the most consistently good openings. Almost all of them are really good.

I don't know anything about endings, I rarely pay attention to them. lol

It's been a while since I've watched the original FMA, but I have this opening practically memorized still (I assume everybody will know which one this link is before they click it?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd1V816mVdU

And tomorrow we get FMA:B's Period: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxIuO600uc4. (shortened though of course)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Period is easily my favorite FMA B opening. It reminds me of, and is almost as good as, Rewrite (IMO.)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Azure J

I missed a hell of a lot of stuff in here didn't I? Shit, you all had elaborate HxH discussion too... ;_;

I should really follow this thread during the week, but SaltyBets, FGC-GAF and playing NSMBU got the better of me this time.

Motion seconded on FMA & FMA:B having great openings. I'd even go further and say they both had some of the best openings and endings in anime period.

Rewrite and I Will were too good in tone and content. I'm a massive fan of Hologram for the animation in the opening (and the song itself gets you pumped), but it's literally like picking your favorite child when it comes to Brotherhood openings. The best ending is either Shunkan Sentimental or Lie. The latter is just so goddamned charming.

kayos90

I missed a hell of a lot of stuff in here didn't I? Shit, you all had elaborate HxH discussion too... ;_;

I should really follow this thread during the week, but SaltyBets, FGC-GAF and playing NSMBU got the better of me this time.

Motion seconded on FMA & FMA:B having great openings. I'd even go further and say they both had some of the best openings and endings in anime period.

Rewrite and I Will were too good in tone and content. I'm a massive fan of Hologram for the animation in the opening (and the song itself gets you pumped), but it's literally like picking your favorite child when it comes to Brotherhood openings. The best ending is either Shunkan Sentimental or Lie. The latter is just so goddamned charming.

Ooooo I love Shunkan Sentimental and Lie. In all honestly SID is really great.

Go crazy, folks. Go crazy.

Fate/Zero. Make it happen dammit.

Seda

Go crazy, folks. Go crazy.

hmm, this indicates something notable happening later in 2013?

Toonami's already gotten Soul Eater, One Piece, and Sword Art Online this year, and they brought back Clone Wars and Big O. They also indicated that IGPX will rerun and it's very likely that Big O will considering its length. We also know about the second movie night of course. Cowboy Bebop might finally be given a break but I would have assumed it would be replaced with another back-catalog staple (FLCL/GitS).

I wasn't expecting much else 'notable' until 2014. I wonder what he's teasing...

Azure J

Hunter x Hunter and Soul Eater: Encore confirmed. At least that's what I'm going to believe from that tweet. :p

Ooooo I love Shunkan Sentimental and Lie. In all honestly SID is really great.

I only got introduced to SiD through Brotherhood actually. What really impressed me though is how often they hit the "right" notes (pun not intended) with their anime OP/ED singles. In order from personal best to "not my personal best but still fucking good":

Lie
Melody of The Wild Dance (Ranbu no Melody)
Monochrome no Kiss (Black Butler OP)
Rain
VIP (Magi OP)

Grizzlyjin

Golden Time Lover is the worst opening theme ever...until you listen to a second time, and then a third, and then just have it on replay all day. It seems like a complete fumble on the first listen, but then you learn to appreciate it

Bleach usually has pretty decent openings, but I can not stand Shojo S for the life of me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Not Yui's best IMO (that would be Rolling Star.) The bridge is a little weak IMO. It's really catchy at points though.

I have HxH withdrawal now that I caught up. I don't want to read the rest because I want to see the fights animated and also because Togashi is taking his sweet ass time.

kayos90

Saw this recently and it's great. The English dub is really good. I think someone is still airing the English version though.

Neon Alley. However, they're almost done with it and they'll most likely have the rights for a good month afterwards. After that though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom