• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Now you have to wait weekly like the rest of us.

That feel when you thought something happened and the manga's back only to remember "anime, duh".

ilKwV29RHWdQc.gif

MikeMyers

They wanted it to be the next DBZ, so they tried repeating the things they did with DBZ.

It pretty much was the next DBZ for a while. Then Shippuden just came in and left as soon as possible, where as Kai came to Nicktoons and captured a new generation.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It pretty much was the next DBZ for a while. Then Shippuden just came in and left as soon as possible, where as Kai came to Nicktoons and captured a new generation.

To be fair Disney had no idea what they were getting into when they picked up Shippuden.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It still blows my mind that DBZ is more popular now than it was when I was growing up. I remember watching it on Toonami and the Midnight Run back in the day. Now it's on NickToons and Vortex shows two episodes every Saturday. Plus it's on Hulu for streaming.

Kids today don't know the pain of watching the Vegeta and Frieza saga over and over and over and over again. Goku turns super saiyan on Monday, oh look Raditz again on Tuesday.

We'll see what kind of staying power Naruto has. It definitely is the most prominent anime of last decade in popularity. Tons of merchandise and games, but it just doesn't feel like reached that DBZ level yet.

It's weird how new anime being prominent in North America has stagnated. Right now is the absolute best time in history to be an anime fan because of how easily accessible it is. We went from trading VHS copies, to dvds, to torrents. Now things are streamed the same week they air in Japan, legally! But I turn on the tv and it's all stuff from 2003 and earlier. Original Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, DBZ, even looking at Toonami, these episodes of Naruto are a decade old now...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It still blows my mind that DBZ is more popular now than it was when I was growing up. I remember watching it on Toonami and the Midnight Run back in the day. Now it's on NickToons and Vortex shows two episodes every Saturday. Plus it's on Hulu for streaming.

Kids today don't know the pain of watching the Vegeta and Frieza saga over and over and over and over again. Goku turns super saiyan on Monday, oh look Raditz again on Tuesday.

We'll see what kind of staying power Naruto has. It definitely is the most prominent anime of last decade in popularity. Tons of merchandise and games, but it just doesn't feel like reached that DBZ level yet.

It's weird how new anime being prominent in North America has stagnated. Right now is the absolute best time in history to be an anime fan because of how easily accessible it is. We went from trading VHS copies, to dvds, to torrents. Now things are streamed the same week they air in Japan, legally! But I turn on the tv and it's all stuff from 2003 and earlier. Original Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, DBZ, even looking at Toonami, these episodes of Naruto are a decade old now...

The death of Toonami sure as hell didn't help anything. Also 4Kids ruining One Piece hurt as well, it could have easily been the next DBZ considering it was that and more in Japan.

They just brought over anything and charged way too much for it. I'm sure we'll see a resurgence at some point, but not for a while. The market was just too saturated.

The death of Toonami sure as hell didn't help anything. Also 4Kids ruining One Piece hurt as well, it could have easily been the next DBZ considering it was that and more in Japan.

They just brought over anything and charged way too much for it. I'm sure we'll see a resurgence at some point, but not for a while. The market was just too saturated.

The only show 4kids didn't ruin completely was Yu-Gi-Oh, if anything they're total existence as a company is justified because it gave us that dub which spawned abridged anime.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Greetings Toonami-GAF. After spending the day at Wizard World, I return home to some sad news. Soul Eater (the original manga) has come to an end. 113 monthly chapters.

Greetings Toonami-GAF. After spending the day at Wizard World, I return home to some sad news. Soul Eater (the original manga) has come to an end. 113 monthly chapters.

The fact that after 113 chapters apparently we never get to see
Maka and Soul kiss
makes me rage. Will marathon the manga once the anime reaches the point where it goes into filler land.

MikeMyers

Yeah, I turned onto Nicktoons the other day and they were airing Digimon Adventure 01 and original Yu-Gi-Oh back to back.

The only show 4kids didn't ruin completely was Yu-Gi-Oh, if anything they're total existence as a company is justified because it gave us that dub which spawned abridged anime.

Pokemon?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
People who read the Soul Eater manga and follow things in Japan: what's the realistic chance of Soul Eater "Brotherhood"?

Less popular stuff has been animated. I can't imagine them going the Brotherhood route and re-doing everything, but I could see a "Soul Eater Part 2" happening. It would be a smarter move than trying to animate a lesser known manga. They know what the sales for the original series are, they'd just budget the Part 2 accordingly.

What, Studio Bones can work on about three projects at once? Besides some trademarks and rumblings, I haven't heard much from them. They're overdue for something in 2013, let alone 2014.

On the topic of Toonami, David Williams [of Sentai] said “I want to sell every show to Cartoon Network.”

probably nothing, but thought it was worth bringing up due to DeMarco's tweet earlier and we're going with "the sky is the limit" here

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Getting anime onto a high-rated channel is every distributor's wet dream. After the failures of literally every other anime block (G4's Anime Unleashed and Syfy's weekly blocks in particular), I gotta imagine they're chomping at the bit to be on something as high profile as Adult Swim.

It's good to have things back to "normal." (IMO, CN/Toonami was always the number one place for anime back in the day.)

Grizzlyjin

Getting anime onto a high-rated channel is every distributor's wet dream. After the failures of literally every other anime block (G4's Anime Unleashed and Syfy's weekly blocks in particular), I gotta imagine they're chomping at the bit to be on something as high profile as Adult Swim.

It's good to have things back to "normal." (IMO, CN/Toonami was always the number one place for anime back in the day.)

I'm kinda sad that SyFy's block didn't succeed. They had some good shows at different points, but they also ran some really shitty ones as well. G4 just doesn't have the cable presence to actually carry a block and pay for the rights to decent shows, but almost everyone that has cable has SyFy.

I could also see a lot of distributors wanting to get Toonami's attention. Wouldn't be shocked if they've been getting some special deals on show rights. Soul Eater is a 4 year old series, yet Toonami gets it trending nationally on Twitter on a Saturday night. That's pretty amazing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Indeed, it's very impressive and they likely have a lot of cache with distributors now. However it's also important to keep perspective, Toonami is still quite a ways off from its golden days. We're not going to see any "Invader"-like original CG vignettes, or bankrolling entire seasons (Big O) or series (IGPX) just yet.

We can hope that will be the case someday, though!

I think the turning point was when the block expanded from 3 hours to 6 last October. IMO that ended the Toonami revival "experiment." Then with the Wreck-It-Ralph and Oblivion cross-promos earlier this year just cemented it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
did anime unleashed actually fell? I always thought they got rid of it just simply because they didnt care for it anymore (and it was one block out of some other shows that didnt carry over after G4 took over) they were kinda rerunning the same 6 or so shows though, 6 or so fantastic shows(gungrave the best anime of all time) but 6 or so shows nonetheles

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
did anime unleashed actually fell? I always thought they got rid of it just simply because they didnt care for it anymore (and it was one block out of some other shows that didnt carry over after G4 took over) they were kinda rerunning the same 6 or so shows though, 6 or so fantastic shows(gungrave the best anime of all time) but 6 or so shows nonetheles

You're implying that it actually took off.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I actually remember being a little miffed that Syfy got Gurren Lagann and Gundam 00, and not AS, lol. I dunno it's hard for me to actually get into other blocks now, guess I'm just stuck in my ways. (Or maybe I feel like AS/Toonami are more earnest and less cynical about it, dunno.)

ckohler

The fact that after 113 chapters apparently we never get to see
Maka and Soul kiss
makes me rage. Will marathon the manga once the anime reaches the point where it goes into filler land.
Both the manga and the anime made it pretty clear that they
consider each other like brother and sister. Best friends only.
It's something I actually think is very cool about the story. It doesn't fall for the obvious trope.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Syfy got some great shows (Monster, Noein, Gurren Lagann, Macross Plus, etc.), but they ran that block TERRIBLY. There were three times as many commercials as Adult Swim, and they would cut actual show content in EVERY episode of most shows, squish things for banner ads or have massive watermark ads for things like Ghost Hunters, and then run commercials over the end credits. They would frequently come back from commercial with characters in mid-sentence (and occasionally even mid-word). In Gurren Lagann they even cut out several minutes' worth of the climactic final battle.

It was nice to have a place for those shows on a relatively widely available network other than AS, but Syfy treated those shows like dogshit.

Syfy got some great shows (Monster, Noein, Gurren Lagann, Macross Plus, etc.), but they ran that block TERRIBLY. There were three times as many commercials as Adult Swim, and they would cut actual show content in EVERY episode of most shows, squish things for banner ads or have massive watermark ads for things like Ghost Hunters, and then run commercials over the end credits. They would frequently come back from commercial with characters in mid-sentence (and occasionally even mid-word). In Gurren Lagann they even cut out several minutes' worth of the climactic final battle.

It was nice to have a place for those shows on a relatively widely available network other than AS, but Syfy treated those shows like dogshit.

That sounds an awful lot like what they did with Doctor Who.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That sounds an awful lot like what they did with Doctor Who.

I heard about this. RTD even made the show 45 minutes for the purpose of showing it on American TV, but Sci-Fi still cut it down. Thank you BBC America, even if you have to speed up certain parts, at least you don't cut them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Honestly 4 Kids did a better job with Pokémon than they did with Yu-Gi-Oh. Most of it has to do with slightly better voice acting and having less stuff that needed to be edited.

They did an ok job with TMNT as well but that's not an anime.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That theme is so good. They really did go all out with the Pokémon dub for the first few seasons. It's got some smart dialogue here and there for a kids show (so does the digimon dub now that I'm rewatching it.) and besides a few few cultural inconsistencies here and there its actually quite faithful to the source material which was not how they did things for the most part in the late 90's.

Seda

Anime related news -

Kg5T33d.png

ANN is getting hammered.

Also, Sentai grabbed quite a few things like Big O as Meta said.

EDIT: Here we go

Q5hOYW2.png

Novid

Banned
Indeed, it's very impressive and they likely have a lot of cache with distributors now. However it's also important to keep perspective, Toonami is still quite a ways off from its golden days. We're not going to see any "Invader"-like original CG vignettes, or bankrolling entire seasons (Big O) or series (IGPX) just yet.

We can hope that will be the case someday, though!

I think the turning point was when the block expanded from 3 hours to 6 last October. IMO that ended the Toonami revival "experiment." Then with the Wreck-It-Ralph and Oblivion cross-promos earlier this year just cemented it.

All of that will never, ever happen unless CN changes, and Demarco has stated on record there is no problems with CN on its face. So the only way to force those things from happening is to have a new competitor and Syfy is too busy trying to make sharks a big deal.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
any of these shows worthwhile?

Code Geass and Witch Hunter Robin are Adult Swim alums. Angel Links is a (fucking terrible) spin-off of Outlaw Star.

Out of Sentai's new shows, s-CRY-ed is also an Adult Swim alum, as is Argento Soma (though only via Adult Swim On Demand).

JCG

any of these shows worthwhile?

If you like relatively serious science fiction, Crest/Banner of the Stars is a must.

Yes, there's a romance (not a harem) at the center of it, but the world building and space battles are great.

The dubs are terrible though, and I expect the show would probably bore the Toonami audience to death anyway. Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom