• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I can't see how the movie could take that long, even with extraordinarily long commercial breaks. It's probably just a snafu or something. I mean, it's not like they'd try to sandwich stuff in-between segments of the movie or anything, right?

Well, they did with Eva 1.11. But even then, I don't see how they would manage to get an entire hour out of doing that. Those would be some HUGE breaks between movie segments. That's an average of only 15 minutes of movie per half hour timeslot.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I was browsing Netflix and found that Fairy Tail was on the list of anime. Decided to check out the first episode and it was terrible. The concept, the characters and the art style were so awful to me. Never again.

I had the exact same reaction to Fairy Tail. I tried watching it on Hulu about a month ago. Didn't even make it through the first episode. I rarely do that, but something about it just completely turned me off.

I might give it another shot one day, but not anytime soon. Then again, you have to be careful about judging shows too quickly. I wasn't in love with One Piece after watching the first episode, but it became one of my favorite series ever during the arc where Sanji joins the crew. And then Arlong Park came along and I fell completely in love with the show. Honestly the only reason I even went back to watch it was because of the American Shonen Jump. I got really bored one day and instead of skipping OP, I read through my old issues and saw the Buggy arc. Really dug it, which lead me to go try the anime again.

Manga has the benefit of not moving as slowly. It doesn't really take up as much of my time to stick with a manga series for a couple chapters, as compared to a 20-24 minute show.

I also rediscovered my love for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood through Netflix this week. The manga, the original FMA and Brotherhood are just soooooo good. I really think that its a franchise that people will still hold in high regard 10 years from now.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Here's some advice. AVOID Fairy Tail.
Do not read it, do not watch it, just get away from it.
It's bad, really damn bad.

Novid

Banned
There was a strange picture post from swimtoonami some time before he got promoted. Was that a sign of his plans for two weeks from now?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember reading a few volumes of Fairy Tale since the artwork reminded me or Rave Master, and it was.....meh. Like, I found myself getting bored after the 4th or 5th volume and just dropped it. I really have no motivation to check the anime out.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well, they did with Eva 1.11. But even then, I don't see how they would manage to get an entire hour out of doing that. Those would be some HUGE breaks between movie segments. That's an average of only 15 minutes of movie per half hour timeslot.

Yeah, something is brewing. Even if they were airing it unmodified and not edited for time,it should only be running for about 2 hours and 45 minutes, maybe a little longer. So for that to be an entire hour off is strange.

I don't think I watched during the first Eva movie, so I don't know how it was structured. Was that the only thing they showed that night? Or did they show it after Bleach and whatever was in the second slot?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I remember reading a few volumes of Fairy Tale since the artwork reminded me or Rave Master, and it was.....meh. Like, I found myself getting bored after the 4th or 5th volume and just dropped it. I really have no motivation to check the anime out.

It's by the same guy that did Rave. It's also much much worse than Rave.

Seda

Yeah, something is brewing. Even if they were airing it unmodified and not edited for time,it should only be running for about 2 hours and 45 minutes, maybe a little longer. So for that to be an entire hour off is strange.

I don't think I watched during the first Eva movie, so I don't know how it was structured. Was that the only thing they showed that night? Or did they show it after Bleach and whatever was in the second slot?

For Eva 1.11 they aired Bleach and Naruto and then the movie.

Grizzlyjin

For Eva 1.11 they aired Bleach and Naruto and then the movie.

Hmmmmmmmmm, then that's probably the best explanation for why that schedule seems almost exactly an hour off. Bleach and Naruto do bring in some nice ratings, it would be odd for them to not air them even on a movie night.Anybody remember what the ratings looked like for Eva 1.1?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmmmmmmmm, then that's probably the best explanation for why that schedule seems almost exactly an hour off. Bleach and Naruto do bring in some nice ratings, it would be odd for them to not air them even on a movie night.Anybody remember what the ratings looked like for Eva 1.1?

Eva 1,11 did pretty well. It's hard to gauge it's real numbers because it was like a 2 and a half hour timeslot that was just given a single number average, so you had data from 1 am being mixed with data from 3 am to combine into one rating.

Man you guys are too harsh on fairy tail, it's not great by any stretch but it isn't awful. It never gets downright bad as naruto is currently or boring like arracar arc bleach, it's just consistently average

Crocodile

Man you guys are too harsh on fairy tail, it's not great by any stretch but it isn't awful. It never gets downright bad as naruto is currently or boring like arracar arc bleach, it's just consistently average

I haven't seen the show but isn't that the worse crime of all (well second to being terrible all the time)? If a show can't be excellent all/most of the time I'd rather it be excellent sometimes and bad other times then meh 100% of the time.

I haven't seen the show but isn't that the worse crime of all (well second to being terrible all the time)? If a show can't be excellent all/most of the time I'd rather it be excellent sometimes and bad other times then meh 100% of the time.

I mean the fights are fun and there can be good moments, it has a lot of fan service which is always great. Like one piece the magic powers are always really creative it's worth checking out for that alone

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
to be honest i dont know a show thats excellent all the time
....well cept gungrave beyond the grave......and fullmetal alchemist....and k-on...

Like I said, Fairy Tail has a horrible beginning. I used to want it for Toonami..................then I tried rewatching it.

Fairy Tail is great, personally, just not the best beginning arcs. Lets just, keep Fairy Tail away for now. Stick with the short stuff. It's not even done with it's dub.

I planned to start a stream of my own to show random crap ( AMVs, desktop footage, Promos ) if anybody had time, i'd attempt to show an interesting episode of Fairy Tail. :p

As a matter of fact ( Beware spoilers ), here's a fight of Fairy Tail from my favorite arc.

7gZJsPH.jpg

Pokemon Origins for Toonami with Red/Green plz?

yami4ct

7gZJsPH.jpg

Pokemon Origins for Toonami with Red/Green plz?

Pokemon is something much better suited for earlier blocks. I'm sure CN will get Origins at some point fairly soon after it airs.

Just finished The Girl Who Leapt through Time. Wow. Toonami really needs to air one of Hosada's 3 films for a movie night sometime. So what 2 of them are dramas and not action films, they're some of the best animated features being done right now.

BatDan

Pokemon is something much better suited for earlier blocks. I'm sure CN will get Origins at some point fairly soon after it airs.

Just finished The Girl Who Leapt through Time. Wow. Toonami really needs to air one of Hosada's 3 films for a movie night sometime. So what 2 of them are dramas and not action films, they're some of the best animated features being done right now.

One Piece Movie 6 was also by Hosoda. It'd be perfect.
Funimation has to license it first though.

It's not replacing the Ash anime it's a brand new series running on Wednesdays starting in October. If it's even slightly like the manga it has the potential to be much darker

yami4ct

One Piece Movie 6 was also by Hosoda. It'd be perfect.
Funimation has to license it first though.

Certainly. So is Digimon: Our War Game. Both are pretty interesting films, but I definitely feel they're weaker than his 3 not based in some franchise. His dramas are definitely his strongest films for me. Summer Wars is probably the perfect blend for Toonami. Anything that gets his name more well known in the west would be worth it. Dude deserves some major exposure.

It's not replacing the Ash anime it's a brand new series running on Wednesdays starting in October. If it's even slightly like the manga it has the potential to be much darker

Pokemon is still a license to print money. Even if it's a little darker, no way it's dark enough to warrant being placed on a midnight block. It'll get picked up for afternoons guaranteed. If it gives them a chance to air 2 pokemon shows at the same time, they'll surely jump on it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
God Yu Yu Hakusho has an abrupt ending.

Also the final scene is total bs unless Yusuke developed instant transmission.

BatDan

That is one of the flaws of the series.
Togashi was having issues with the editors at the time and gave us a pretty rushed ending. It's worse in the manga.

*on Pokemon Origins trailer* That's hype as hell.

yami4ct

Togashi just wanted to be out. He was getting rushed and just genuinely tied of doing it. Also, dude apparently has a tough time keeping to a schedule anyway as later seen with Hunter x Hunter.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I remembered it was abrupt but had forgotten just how bad it is. Only other really good anime that has a terrible ending like this is ironically GTO.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
the last arc in yu yu hakusho had so much hype, it was going to be a war, and yusuke would have had to go against his friends who would be fighting eachother aswell, and it was going into a much darker direction in general aswell, but you can tell at what point togoshi just said "fuck it, im done"

yami4ct

Toonami could probably get away with Summer Wars imho

They could definitely do that one. They should just do all of them, though. If Toonami expanded from just action to any animation targeted at late teens to adults that could really help the lineup, especially if they expanded to another day. There are a lot of great comedies and dramas that would be great to see on the air.

yami4ct

Same. Every time I try to even look at Reddit and make sense of it my eyes start bleeding. I'm too used to normal forum software.

Yeah. Can't stand Reddit personally. Don't like the attitude and the design just looks like an illegible mess. AMAs are great, though.

If someone wanted to ask about more movie nights, and maybe even the potential of non-franchise stuff like Summer Wars, that'd be awesome. I have no Reddit account and really don't want to make one.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah. Can't stand Reddit personally. Don't like the attitude and the design just looks like an illegible mess. AMAs are great, though.

If someone wanted to ask about more movie nights, and maybe even the potential of non-franchise stuff like Summer Wars, that'd be awesome. I have no Reddit account and really don't want to make one.

Yes. Someone should also ask about HunterxHiatus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom