• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

DeMarco being a Turn A fan is really surprising to me. It's quite a deep cut for most people given it never got a chance to come over to the west. Really glad. Anyone who likes Turn A is a good dude in my book.

Seda

IppyPAb.png

What's he talking about?

yami4ct

http://i.imgur.com/IppyPAb.ng[/IG]

What's he talking about?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like they grabbed it sight unseen or after only watching a few episodes? Weird. You'd think with short stuff, they'd have someone watch the whole thing before giving it a thumbs up or down. They're going to run into a similar problem with SAO.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sounds like they grabbed it sight unseen or after only watching a few episodes? Weird. You'd think with short stuff, they'd have someone watch the whole thing before giving it a thumbs up or down. They're going to run into a similar problem with SAO.

Couldn't disagree more, there's more than enough SAO fanboys and girls out there to keep the ratings sky high even when it really turns bad.

yami4ct

Couldn't disagree more, there's more than enough SAO fanboys and girls out there to keep the ratings sky high even when it really turns bad.

I'm not that sure. It'll never drop to GXP levels (which were apparently acceptable for the time spot according to the AMA), but they're going to lose nearly all mainstream toonami viewers during Part 2. It'll be fine for the spot, but it'll certainly take a major hit they weren't expecting.

yami4ct

Most requested being AoT. Oh boy. You don't really want that, guys. You don't. It's decent enough, but there's so many better shows out there. Pacing destroys Titan.

Seda

So they do want the expansion now? Everything in the past has hinted at the opposite.

Perhaps things have changed with time that they feel they could take on another hour at this point, or that other people answering the tumblr questions feel differently.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Considering all the talk I've heard about Attack on Titan, I wouldn't mind that appearing, especially seeing how requested it is. & nice to hear about Space Dandy.

& is it just me, or does Funimation seem to be the biggest supporter of Toonami, aside from stuff like SAO which is Aniplex. Now that I think about that, have they approached other companies like Sentai Filmworks?

yami4ct

Considering all the talk I've heard about Attack on Titan, I wouldn't mind that appearing, especially seeing how requested it is. & nice to hear about Space Dandy.

& is it just me, or does Funimation seem to be the biggest supporter of Toonami, aside from stuff like SAO which is Aniplex. Now that I think about that, have they approached other companies like Sentai Filmworks?

It's more that Funimation has all the action stuff worth watching. Aniplex and Viz have the occasional show, but Funimation grabs up most of the big anime.

Simultaneous in Japan and US? Sounds like a pipe dream since they only deal in dubbed.

It could happen with a bigger franchise show. I could see something like the inevitable "Final Act" of bleach getting a simul-dub. They could put up a subbed show in a really late slot as well. That could do just fine for the time.

yami4ct

Caught it in the Reddit thread. Glad to hear more movie nights. A bit sad that series based stuff is going to get a priority, but it does make sense. I'm hoping we get like 1/5 at the very least of original stuff for movie nights. Nice to hear DeMarco likes Summer Wars. There's still a chance of getting Hosada on American TV.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Adult Swim Action/Toonami has a frontier they've never tried and I believe because of how their audience is I think they'd do acceptably well there.

Friday Nights. Nerds don't go out!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wonder if anyone in the US has the TV rights to Dragon Ball. Been watching it after finishing YYH and man, it's a very well done dub and the dvd transfer was pretty good!

Crocodile

Gundam is in a tricky spot. It's known enough to be expensive, but has a poor track record post Wing in the west. G did alright, but CN's treatment of SEED effectively killed the franchise. It's a hard sell. If handled right, it could pay off, but it's still a big risk.

SEED aired on CN? Shows what I know :p I will say though that Japan/Bandai forcing the '79 original Gundam series on us following Wing was STUPID and killed a lot of momentum the franchise had gained.

Most requested being AoT. Oh boy. You don't really want that, guys. You don't. It's decent enough, but there's so many better shows out there. Pacing destroys Titan.

Are you really surprised? In spite of its warts, the show has a hook on the general anime-viewing populace, even lapsed anime fans. It's almost guaranteed to be a ratings getter if it's given a decent time slot.

Simultaneous in Japan and US? Sounds like a pipe dream since they only deal in dubbed.

It happened before with a show called Kurokami (it's pretty generic shonen so don't worry if you've never seen it) that was brodcast like a week apart in Japan and in the USA (in English) on an obscure Asian themed cable channel whose name I no longer remember. If no name Asian channel X can arrange that, than I wouldn't put it past Toonami within the next couple of years, budget willing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Things that doomed MSG on Toonami.

1. 9/11.
2. Easily the worst Gundam dub job.
3. Wasn't Wing.

SEED aired on the Saturday Action Block that was eventually renamed Toonami. It's also where Justice League, IGPX, Ruruoni Kenshin, Bo-Bo-Bo and a ton of other post boom era shows ended up.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dig the fact he likes Summer Wars as well and think that might make for a good movie on Toonami, but understandable they'd want movies based on TV shows since more people are likely to tune in due to familiarity. Perhaps they could get one of the FMA movies (wouldn't mind rewatching that Sacred Star of Milos again).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, with Aizen on super secret double probation Karakuraiser is back on the job, the remaining genin get a bonus round of preliminary matches to whittle down the field for the third exam, the Straw Hats come down with a case of explosive amnesia, Crona tries to fit in as a DWMA student, Kirito gets tangled up with some PKers, the race with White Snow rolls on, Clone Wars rejoins the block for the first time since 2009, Roger finds himself confronted with the machinations of Schwarzwald once again, Fullmetal reveals the true fate of Xerxes, the Bebop crew gets into some bad mushrooms, and Naraku trolls the gang once again.

12:00 - Bleach - 311 - Soul Detective Karakuraiser Takes Off Again!
12:30 - Naruto - 38 - Narrowing the Field: Sudden Death Elimination!
1:00 - One Piece - 220 - Was It Lost? Stolen? Who Are You?
1:30 - Soul Eater - 26 - The Exciting and Embarrassing Trial Enrollment! The DWMA New Lifestyle Support Fair Is Open?
2:00 - Sword Art Online - 4 - The Black Swordsman
2:30 - IGPX - 17 - White Snow
3:00 - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 1 - Ambush
3:30 - Big O - 17 - Leviathan
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 40 - Homunculus (The Dwarf in the Flask)
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 17 - Mushroom Samba
5:00 - Inuyasha - 81 - Vanishing Point; Naraku Disappears
5:30 - Inuyasha - 82 - Gap Between the Ages

duckroll

So I don't usually do this, but cosmicblizzard asked me to, so here I am:

Soul Eater is a really boring piece of shit. He claims it's really popular here and you'll all beat me up or something if I said it was shit, but I don't think that's true. The show has some pretty solid action animation, and great designs, but overall it's a huge steaming pile of garbage. The pacing is crap, the villains are crap, the humor isn't funny, and honestly by the end of the series the "story" really never went anywhere. There isn't any real development between the characters, nothing really change, they just beat the big bad guy and called it a day. What's there to like?

duckroll said:

Soul Eater is a really boring piece of shit. He claims it's really popular here and you'll all beat me up or something if I said it was shit, but I don't think that's true. The show has some pretty solid action animation, and great designs, but overall it's a huge steaming pile of garbage. The pacing is crap, the villains are crap, the humor isn't funny, and honestly by the end of the series the "story" really never went anywhere. There isn't any real development between the characters, nothing really change, they just beat the big bad guy and called it a day. What's there to like?

Jack-Nicholson.gif

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

According to this post I'm reading that SAO is better than Soul Eater. I can live with that.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Personally I think it's a lot of fun. Characters are much more likeable than most Shonen, and we get to see them actually develop over time.
But that's just me.

I'm going to have to disagree, at least based on what I've seen so far.

Tamanon

Banned

I can understand the character development complaints completely. And we haven't really gotten far enough to see how the story goes in the end.

I think Medusa was a pretty good villain so far.

It's the animation and designs, pretty much. Some people aren't as hard on it because they read the manga and know what would have happened if BONES wasn't, well, BONES - and others don't know what they're in for, so they're just enjoying the ride. It's as simple as that, and most people who dislike the show spend their time watching something else.

And why would we beat you up? We've got no beef with Anime-GAF.

cosmicblizzard, on the other hand...
Clc0wrF.png

Jintor

We've never fought before, Duckroll. Why would you want to start now?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Just wanted to say I called AnimeGAF turning on AoT. I CALLED IT

AnimeGAF is so predictable with every "OMFG GOD-TIER!!!" show it hypes up. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom