• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I personally don't think I could sit through the Saiyan or Frieza Sagas again. I've probably seen them both three times entirely through. And the constant disappointment of Cartoon Network restarting right at the very end of the Frieza Saga will always stay with me. haha

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Thread rewatch? Thread rewatch

KuGsj.gif

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
that hipster thread reminded me of how hipster I am over mirai nikki, because I read it years ago and then it got an anime and got super popular and im all like "I knew about it before it was cool" and now I want the anime on toonami.

Raxus

that hipster thread reminded me of how hipster I am over mirai nikki, because I read it years ago and then it got an anime and got super popular and im all like "I knew about it before it was cool" and now I want the anime on toonami.

I am just about finished with the series.

Basically everyone is an asshole outside 7th and 8th.

Also, Yuki is a serious competitor for the whiniest protagonist.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Added to US Netflix today:

Tenchi Muyo GXP

Should be able to get the JP version through stream, too. That's... kinda nice.

Sucks this is the ONLY Tenchi thing on Stream. Couldn't put up the sister series like El Hazard of Photon? Couldn't put up one of the Movies? :/

By Shinichiro Watanabe relation, this makes me remember how much I loved the "Pop Up Video" style notes that the DVD release of Excel Saga had. Has any series done such a thing as well, since then? Would be great to see happen much more often...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Oh goody gum drops. Now I can watch Tenchi GXP at anytime. Seriously, I would literally prefer anything else Tenchi over GXP. Muyo!, Universe, Tokyo, ANYTHING!

But then again Funimation does stream a lot of Tenchi stuff for free on Youtube. And honestly, I imagine that is more profitable for them. They probably get more money off ad revenue for 24-26 episodes than Netflix offers them to have some of this low demand stuff like Tenchi.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Holy crap it never really hit me just how much shorter Kai is than regular DBZ. Kai is slightly over half as long coming into the end of the Cell Saga.

It does make sense considering how much filler/extended crap there is in the Android/Cell sagas. People give the end of Namek crap for stretching it out (and rightly so) but its got nothing on the endless feeling you get in the middle of the Cell era.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Holy crap it never really hit me just how much shorter Kai is than regular DBZ. Kai is slightly over half as long coming into the end of the Cell Saga.

It does make sense considering how much filler/extended crap there is in the Android/Cell sagas. People give the end of Namek crap for stretching it out (and rightly so) but its got nothing on the endless feeling you get in the middle of the Cell era.

I have heard they're planning to release the Buu Saga specifically for Western audiences. No clue when that's happening yet.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

And Kai is even longer than Abridged, which is far superior. Then there's Abridged Kai, which is like 3 minutes long.

I need to get around to watching the various new episodes of DBZ Abridged I haven't watched since before Goku first started fighting Freeza. Has YGO abridged done anything in the past year or is that series basically dead?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I need to get around to watching the various new episodes of DBZ Abridged I haven't watched since before Goku first started fighting Freeza. Has YGO abridged done anything in the past year or is that series basically dead?

The stuff after Freeza was amazing. Especially Garlic Jr. And Vegeta and Bulma hooking up. And the car driving. You gotta get on this.

BatDan

This went up two days ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YWJXhP6DcE

And to continue the Kai Abridged quote train.
"VEGETA WHY?"
"Because I'm a monkey! Oh no, I'm not a monkey! Oh no, the kid's a monkey! Destructo Disc!'
"Da fuck?!"

The stuff after Freeza was amazing. Especially Garlic Jr. And Vegeta and Bulma hooking up. And the car driving. You gotta get on this.

The fuck's a condom?

I started watching DBZ abridged a while ago but then I just stopped and now there's like a million episodes. I prefer Yugioh Abridged and Naruto Abridged.

BatDan

I started watching DBZ abridged a while ago but then I just stopped and now there's like a million episodes. I prefer Yugioh Abridged and Naruto Abridged.

Keep going! It's better than both of those combined.
It also has the talents from those two series as well many other Abridged Series. Lanipator and Takahata101 are the true stars though.

YGO Abridged during it's peak was one of the most hysterical things I've ever seen, once it got to the later half of battle city it started to become really ehh. DBZ Abridged has had some hilarious moments but I don't think it was as good as peak YGO Abridged. Never seen Naruto Abridged as I was never a fan of the anime/manga at the time Abridged series were a big deal.

BatDan

YGO Abridged during it's peak was one of the most hysterical things I've ever seen, once it got to the later half of battle city it started to become really ehh. DBZ Abridged has had some hilarious moments but I don't think it was as good as peak YGO Abridged. Never seen Naruto Abridged as I was never a fan of the anime/manga at the time Abridged series were a big deal.

Naruto Abridged is eeeeeh. There are some good moments (like Naruto questioning the computer at the Chunin Exam) but a lot of it is weird.

Keep going! It's better than both of those combined.
It also has the talents from those two series as well many other Abridged Series. Lanipator and Takahata101 are the true stars though.

what is this

What Bass said. I watched quite a lot of DBZ Abridged before I stopped and I can't remember a single quote from it, but Yugioh and Naruto abridged lines are etched into my memory.

I feel like YGO abridged worked because there was a combo of how ridiculous the series premise was in the first place and how ridiculous the 4kids dub was in the way they censored and changed things. DBZ always had a good/great dub that wasn't censored minus some swearing and blood and generally has a serious world/serious atmosphere that fit together. The later half of YGO A and parts of DBZ A remind me of the later half of Red Vs Blue where they added too many new things in an effort to make comedy as opposed to just being a satire. When YGO A had Kaiba talking to a giant robot chicken thing and Bakura fighting Malik in a light saber duel I face palmed, when DBZ A had ghost Nappa constantly harassing Vegeta or Goku with magic muffins or team 4 star drinks I groaned, and when RVB flat out had the same engine tools Bungie/343 has to make over the top action scenes I quit.

Raxus

I feel like YGO abridged worked because there was a combo of how ridiculous the series premise was in the first place and how ridiculous the 4kids dub was in the way they censored and changed things. DBZ always had a good/great dub that wasn't censored minus some swearing and blood and generally has a serious world/serious atmosphere that fit together. The later half of YGO A and parts of DBZ A remind me of the later half of Red Vs Blue where they added too many new things in an effort to make comedy as opposed to just being a satire. When YGO A had Kaiba talking to a giant robot chicken thing and Bakura fighting Malik in a light saber duel I face palmed, when DBZ A had ghost Nappa constantly harassing Vegeta or Goku with magic muffins or team 4 star drinks I groaned, and when RVB flat out had the same engine tools Bungie/343 has to make over the top action scenes I quit.

Muffin button only appeared twice and Ghost Nappa has been done to death but they (seem) to have an end to that story for now. The main difference for DBZA and YGOA is that YGOA never updates (which is saying something) and when it does it is the same tired jokes it has been doing. Most of LittleKuriboh's best material has been invested in the Naruto Abridged series as of late which, again, he never updates.

The DBZA guys on the other hand take advantage of the rules of adaptation really well. What they add, adds a ton to the characters who are otherwise rather flat or enhance the cast (adding Nail to Piccolo's psyche was a stroke of genius). They remove/constrict a bunch of the filler fight animation and get straight to the good stuff.

Out of the 40ish material they put out for the series (including movies) I think there is only one I didn't laugh out loud at.

BatDan

I just wonder why there hasn't been a good One Piece abridged series.

Before you say None Piece... I don't really like it. Too random.

Muffin button only appeared twice and Ghost Nappa has been done to death but they (seem) to have an end to that story for now. The main difference for DBZA and YGOA is that YGOA never updates (which is saying something) and when it does it is the same tired jokes it has been doing. Most of LittleKuriboh's best material has been invested in the Naruto Abridged series as of late which, again, he never updates.

The DBZA guys on the other hand take advantage of the rules of adaptation really well. What they add, adds a ton to the characters who are otherwise rather flat or enhance the cast (adding Nail to Piccolo's psyche was a stroke of genius). They remove/constrict a bunch of the filler fight animation and get straight to the good stuff.

Out of the 40ish material they put out for the series (including movies) I think there is only one I didn't laugh out loud at.

I agree that Ygo a has been shit for awhile, but I'm taking in its prime.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love how Goku got the evil knocked out of him by the power of a serious life threatening concussion. It explains....so much.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
you guys should watch hellsing abridged, like seriously, i know theres only like 3 episodes....but seriously, watch.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This just made me want to rewatch YGO Abridged and Naruto Abridged all over again. I guess i'll give DBZ Abridged another shot too since you guys seem to like it so much.

DBZA actually manages to make Namek good, which is shocking. It's probably the best part of the series.

Super Kami Guru is going to reach deep inside you and make you feel things you've never felt before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom