• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

The only Freshco I ever been to is the one on Bathurst and Steeles and it was nice inside but man was that place run poorly. The parking lot was a mess with carts sticking out taking up half the parking lot. I find any grocery store where the majority of employees are teenagers are always run pretty poorly. Besides that though it seemed decent.

Azih

The only Freshco I ever been to is the one on Bathurst and Steeles and it was nice inside but man was that place run poorly. The parking lot was a mess with carts sticking out taking up half the parking lot. I find any grocery store where the majority of employees are teenagers are always run pretty poorly. Besides that though it seemed decent.

That's the one I went to. The fresh produce section as the best way to judge a grocery store and I don't know if it was the day I went there but the fruit and veg section was anything but fresh in that place.

This was 13 years ago lol just felt like getting into college/university again... Just discovered it when I unburied my old school crap trying to find my OEN (I still don't know if I have it)

I'm just going to get my transcript, use ILC for a year or so (I will tear through the coursework) judging by that report I still need 13 credits. I would be crying over the math course but I'll just use grade 11 math as a refresher course, I guess. It's only $40 and a few days of my time... (Or month due to mail wait times) Oh well.

I guess I'm not the only one trying to get back into school. I don't think you have an OEN number if your last year of public school was 13 years ago. I had to go to the catholic school board and order transcripts - they don't even accept a credit card and expect you to snail mail the application or hand it in to their off. So fucking archaic.

I have my high school diploma and I am currently trying to get into a Journalism program at either Seneca, Humber or Centennial. Just waiting to do my pre-admission testing which consists of grammar, general knowledge, and an essay. I have no idea how difficult these admission tests get so I'm not sure how I should prepare. I have been out of any sort of schooling for 15 years.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I guess I'm not the only one trying to get back into school. I don't think you have an OEN number if your last year of public school was 13 years ago. I had to go to the catholic school board and order transcripts - they don't even accept a credit card and expect you to snail mail the application or hand it in to their off. So fucking archaic.

I have my high school diploma and I am currently trying to get into a Journalism program at either Seneca, Humber or Centennial. Just waiting to do my pre-admission testing which consists of grammar, general knowledge, and an essay. I have no idea how difficult these admission tests get so I'm not sure how I should prepare. I have been out of any sort of schooling for 15 years.

Why would you need to be tested if you have your diploma? Because you've been out so long?

Edit: oh yay now I see... Woo more testing!

Why would you need to be tested if you have your diploma? Because you've been out so long?

Edit: oh yay now I see... Woo more testing!

The Journalism program requires additional testing at all three colleges. My girlfriend thinks I should be able to get out of it because I actually do have a year of post-secondary education at Humber College with good grades, but I don't think there is any way around it.

I'm still not entirely sure how Mature Student status works either. It seems that every college has their own definition of what a Mature Student is and I haven't seen anything yet that makes me confident that my work experience will be taken into consideration. They still wanted my high school marks and I have a bad feeling I will be judged on them. My high school English wasn't that great.

Some colleges require you take a few months of prep classes before you engage in a program.

That parking lot has been a disaster forever, complete clusterfuck

The Journalism program requires additional testing at all three colleges. My girlfriend thinks I should be able to get out of it because I actually do have a year of post-secondary education at Humber College with good grades, but I don't think there is any way around it.

I'm still not entirely sure how Mature Student status works either. It seems that every college has their own definition of what a Mature Student is and I haven't seen anything yet that makes me confident that my work experience will be taken into consideration. They still wanted my high school marks and I have a bad feeling I will be judged on them. My high school English wasn't that great.

Some colleges require you take a few months of prep classes before you engage in a program.
Wouldn't even bother with mature student status. Seems like a crapshoot. I'm not sure U of T even has mature student though. Thought I could go that route getting back into uni at 25 last year but instead did a few courses through ILC to raise my gr 12 average and fill a few pre-reqs I didn't have to get into my life science program there. Been at U of t just over a year now. ILC is easy as shit I wish I knew about it 10 years ago i would have dropped out of high school and did everything through ILC at home. Could have been one of those prodigies who finish high school and go to uni at 14. Makes you realize how much time is actually wasted in class doing a lot of nonsense when I could knock off an entire semesters worth of curriculum in a few weeks and still get 90+ marks.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't even bother with mature student status. Seems like a crapshoot. I'm not sure U of T even has mature student though. Thought I could go that route getting back into uni at 25 last year but instead did a few courses through ILC to raise my gr 12 average and fill a few pre-reqs I didn't have to get into my life science program there. Been at U of t just over a year now. ILC is easy as shit I wish I knew about it 10 years ago i would have dropped out of high school and did everything through ILC at home. Could have been one of those prodigies who finish high school and go to uni at 14. Makes you realize how much time is actually wasted in class doing a lot of nonsense when I could knock off an entire semesters worth of curriculum in a few weeks and still get 90+ marks.
High school was a joke. No surprise my grades went up and I was happier in Uni. Well...happy until I finished my degree and couldn't find a job :'(

DopeyFish

ILC seems like a godsend

I am amped to get back to school and I loathed it.

With mature student, it means more testing I believe. As you need prerequisites for academic stuff. All mature gets you is just freebie credits. I'm one year from mature and after weighing possibilities... Better to spend the year capping the credits vs having a handout for life work.

Positives? You brush up on your stuff, you can make your grade 12 look godly and you can probably do 25% of a years worth of work in a day

Negatives? Still required to do community service. Fack.

DopeyFish

Hmm. If things don't work out I may use ILC to improve my English high school grade.

Also... Look at some sample SAT exams to get a grasp of what they'd ask you. I found one that was a couple years old and it was EASY.... Would have passed no problem. But a couple questions kind of threw me for a loop.

Bonus to it? There wasn't a calculus question in sight and there was like 3 that involved graphing. Over half the SAT I was looking at was grammar and critical thinking.

2012/2013 practice test:
https://satonlinecourse.collegeboar...df/0833A611-0A43-10C2-0148-CC8C0087FB06-F.pdf

Answers:
https://satonlinecourse.collegeboard.org/SR/digital_assets/pdfs/eri/scoring_2012-2013.pdf

The essay question on that one was a controversial one, which is what I hope I have. Better to establish point of view and opinions. Positives and negatives. I could have wrote a book on it.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Just a heads up, if you've bought Danone Activia yogurt or their Danactive probiotic drinks you can claim some money in this class action lawsuit. Apparently, no experts actually say it has health benefits :p

30 dollars if you don't have a receipt, or up to 100 if you do have receipts.

Link

Basically free 30 dollars

Sober

Ugh at this school talk. Remembered I graduated just over a year and a half ago and forgot I couldn't apply for courses like a regular student at U of T. School of Continuing studies? Ugh I don't really want to stuffed in a course potentially full of people way older than me, but I guess it's all I have right now.

I think I was too dumb at U of T to even remotely qualify for their graduate program if I want to do that. Does that make my only option YorkU?!

Heck yeah.

Even better I remember that used to be the end of the night hangout for everyone at Vaughan. Place would be open until like 4am on Friday and Saturday nights.

lol yea

I went in there once to get really late night food and was shocked at how many people were still in there

Liberty4all

Banned
Just a heads up, if you've bought Danone Activia yogurt or their Danactive probiotic drinks you can claim some money in this class action lawsuit. Apparently, no experts actually say it has health benefits :p

Link

free money, nice. And I actually did used to buy some he stuff regularly.

Link

My mom has bought this a bunch of times. Thanks. What's stopping people from abusing this? Minus the perjury risk of course which no way I'm sure they could prove. :p

Quadratic

Went to Ryoji tonight in Little Italy for Okinawan style ramen. Overall I give the thumbs up. They seem to do izakaya as well, but the ramen is the real star. Flavourful broth, delicious chasiu, perfect egg and properly done noodles. You can even request the doneness of noodle which is odd.

Oh, another quirk is that the takoyaki is made with potato rather than rice flour. It gives the takoyaki an almost tater tot like taste.

I would definitely would go again to try the other varieties of ramen. Tonight I had the tonkotsu broth. Interested in the shoyu and miso based broths.

Stet

Banned
Went to Ryoji tonight in Little Italy for Okinawan style ramen. Overall I give the thumbs up. They seem to do izakaya as well, but the ramen is the real star. Flavourful broth, delicious chasiu, perfect egg and properly done noodles. You can even request the doneness of noodle which is odd.

Oh, another quirk is that the takoyaki is made with potato rather than rice flour. It gives the takoyaki an almost tater tot like taste.

I would definitely would go again to try the other varieties of ramen. Tonight I had the tonkotsu broth. Interested in the shoyu and miso based broths.

I liked Ryoji. The izakaya was just okay. Nowhere near as good as Guu. The ramen was really good though.

krae_man

What day does everyone want to do the Fan Expo Meetup? Sunday again?

We should still do a meetup before then, but I need to know what day to buy my Fanexpo ticket for.

Which fans are you going to see?

il_570xN.455264276_a53t.jpg

or

TURBOFORCE%20HEAVY%20DUTY%20EXHAUST%20FAN%20front%20view.png

krae_man

I just got my book today. Haven't looked at it. If the PS4 and XBone aren't there that's total bullshit since they were at SDCC.

It's on the front page of the book. :lol

August 22nd-25th.

I'm making a thread maybe next week (unless it's cool to do it sooner) and people can feel free to post meet-up plans there.

That's not the schedule.

The schedule for Fan Expo won't be released until August.

Top Bottom