• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Brinbe

Only titles explicitly mentioned are AssCreed (huge emphasis on this)/Batman Origins and Disney Infinity. Nothing about consoles, though there are ads to preorder the PS4/XBone

krae_man

Only titles explicitly mentioned are AssCreed (huge emphasis on this)/Batman Origins and Disney Infinity. Nothing about consoles, though there are ads to preorder the PS4/XBone

Which is funny because all the Emails I keep getting say "July 31st is the last day you can preorder and be guaranteed a system on launch day"

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Went to Ryoji tonight in Little Italy for Okinawan style ramen. Overall I give the thumbs up. They seem to do izakaya as well, but the ramen is the real star. Flavourful broth, delicious chasiu, perfect egg and properly done noodles. You can even request the doneness of noodle which is odd.

Oh, another quirk is that the takoyaki is made with potato rather than rice flour. It gives the takoyaki an almost tater tot like taste.

I would definitely would go again to try the other varieties of ramen. Tonight I had the tonkotsu broth. Interested in the shoyu and miso based broths.
Hmmm...will give this a try
Next meetup can we all have burgers? I wanna see how elitist Kuro is.
This coming from a cat that drinks Coors?! D:

Still haven't heard of anything, so I assume it's still wait and see.

New consoles is the only reason I would go back to FanExpo. Went there a couple years ago, didn't care for the experience.

Anyone been to the Science Centre lately? How busy was the Game On exhibit?

I went there fairly recently. Good crowd but nothing I would consider too busy. No problems in that regard.

Speaking as someone who has bought a few pitchers for the group. Shit gets expensive son lol.

Make sure it's Coors light for Kave

I believe my first post always came with an asterisk to denote a first come first serve, first round only thing (so that late comers are punished, and hopefully won't hurt as bad)

yyzjohn

Banned
What's with you guys knocking beer? You need to drink the good stuff for starters not Labatt or Molson's crap. Unibroue out of Quebec makes good stuff.

zroid

Banned
What's with you guys knocking beer? You need to drink the good stuff for starters not Labatt or Molson's crap. Unibroue out of Quebec makes good stuff.

I picked up a bottle of Terrible around Christmas-time. It was really surprisingly good.

So it seems like my Gamasutra post has gathered one guy who seems to be REALLY upset with me. And from my weakass google-fu, he might be a local Toronto guy.

Welp, I knew it was about time I angered the Toronto gamedev scene, but he better not be one of you. No beer for you at meetup!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So it seems like my Gamasutra post has gathered one guy who seems to be REALLY upset with me. And from my weakass google-fu, he might be a local Toronto guy.

Welp, I knew it was about time I angered the Toronto gamedev scene, but he better not be one of you. No beer for you at meetup!

What's his beef? I'm too lazy read right now

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

Speaking of, I've been out of sync with this thread for a little while. When am I getting drunk with you folk again?

What's his beef? I'm too lazy read right now
I am a self entitled, whiny bitch who asked for too much and just whined about why no companies want to hire me because I set my expectations too high...or something like that.

Speaking of, I've been out of sync with this thread for a little while. When am I getting drunk with you folk again?
Jobbed. Celebrate. Are you turning down free*?

(*)Free for one round

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

(*)Free for one round

I'm pretty sure I'm buying particular Gaffers drinks, but I don't remember who - pretend you were one of those gaffers and you get a free drink

Also, fuck the dude who is bitching you out, I promise it's not me :p

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I am a self entitled, whiny bitch who asked for too much and just whined about why no companies want to hire me because I set my expectations too high...or something like that.

(*)Free for one round

I am now having second thoughts about taking a game programming class

DopeyFish

programming is completely awesome as long as your skill matches up, AND, good fundamental CS skills can take you anywhere (like my new job)

I understand the fundamentals and I have a very strong design sense... Just unsure of the depth a dedicated game programming course will get me as well as the distance it will take me.

Plus self teaching C++ is a bit of a bitch with no guidance (and limited time)

That's his portfolio? Yikes.

cube444

So any of you guys ever go to the Starbucks at Eglinton/Laird? I'm there quite often. Also want to check out "Against the Grain" on Laird a few blocks south of Eglinton.

I understand the fundamentals and I have a very strong design sense... Just unsure of the depth a dedicated game programming course will get me as well as the distance it will take me.

Plus self teaching C++ is a bit of a bitch with no guidance (and limited time)
Yeah, any language being self taught will be a bitch.

I don't know how good a game programming course will be, but I'm personally very wary of all these "Game Desing/Game Development" degrees, and I am absolutely grateful for my parents putting a stop to me going for one of those instead of the CS degree I hold now. Worst case scenario: I can still get a programming job.

...as for the internet sleuthing? Meh. I rather not point fingers and find out stuff, it's not really my business anymore, right?

Hey, you guys around Yonge/Sheppard: suggestions for places for lunch?

DopeyFish

Yeah, any language being self taught will be a bitch.

I don't know how good a game programming course will be, but I'm personally very wary of all these "Game Desing/Game Development" degrees, and I am absolutely grateful for my parents putting a stop to me going for one of those instead of the CS degree I hold now. Worst case scenario: I can still get a programming job.

...as for the internet sleuthing? Meh. I rather not point fingers and find out stuff, it's not really my business anymore, right?

guy I knew went to Sheridan college for game development -he asked me for music for his project... Found me through soundclick, I guess. (Now i cant use my music for my own project now nooooo) This was around 2007 or 2008... He is now a senior coder in ceridian... Afaik they only taught C#/XNA at the time lol.

cube444

Where the hell did you find this ar...nevermind, I never question what you two do anymore :p

And the 5 guys there sucks compared to the other locations.

:lol

Why does it suck? Never been there. A couple of my friends love the Tim Horton's in that plaza but neve been there too. They say it looks amazing inside.

zroid

Banned
Never been, but I've heard the Five Guys on Yonge/Dundas is stingy as fuck with their fries. And dumping in tons of fries is supposed to be Five Guys' signature!

The one on York Mills/Don Mills is great. We went pretty late one time, and they had too many fries left over, so the dudes offered us a whole pile of 'em for free. Mmmm. Five Guys' fries are yummy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
:lol

Why does it suck? Never been there. A couple of my friends love the Tim Horton's in that plaza but neve been there too. They say it looks amazing inside.

Never been, but I've heard the Five Guys on Yonge/Dundas is stingy as fuck with their fries. And dumping in tons of fries is supposed to be Five Guys' signature!

The one on York Mills/Don Mills is great. We went pretty late one time, and they had too many fries left over, so the dudes offered us a whole pile of 'em for free. Mmmm. Five Guys' fries are yummy.

Pretty much this. Burger just wasn't as good. Fries not as much compared to what I got at other locations.

Azih

Man I used to work near Mel Lastman Square, that whole area is chock full of restaruants. They pretty much cater to the lunch crowd though and I have ABSURDLY LOW STANDARDS so I wouldn't be able to guide you much. There are a bunch of restaurants down Spring Garden Avenue. I like the Sakura there for Korean/Japanese stuff. The further North you go the more Iranian places pop up that you might like. Koobideh is some great kebabs.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

There's Buk Chang Dong Soon up near Finch which is pretty great for lunch. Also Sushi Moto which is closer to Sheppard is really good too. Also King of Dumplings is somewhere in between those two.

Top Bottom