• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
At momofuku right now. Bitching or praising incoming.

Momofuku
iP9MOlGICZpbB.jpg

https://plus.google.com/102663533305762968306/about?gl=ca&hl=en

190 University Ave, Toronto, ON M5H 0A3

Quote: "I like the smell of your nuts"

Dining Area: Lots of benches with a very clean and simplistic design. I really liked the high ceilings and the overall look of the place. The waitress at me literally right in front of the kitchen, which was also open concept, so I saw everything being prepared and how they did it. The kitchen staff seemed to have a good rapport with each other and the aforementioned quote was one of the staff saying that to one of the chefs. After the food is prepared, they bring it up to be inspected and for the head dude there to clean any imperfections or loose sauce around the white of the plates and to add any last touches to it. It was really neat witnessing all of this as I said I was literally right in of them.

Drinks: There was a decent variety of drinks, but what I saw was that they were ludicrously overpriced. I had a cider (west avenue ‘heritage dry’), and it was pretty decent for a cider, but I've had much better for much less at the LCBO. I wouldn't recommend getting any drinks here.

Appetizer: I looked over the snacks section of the menu and was pretty flabbergasted that they would charge for goddamn Kimchi. I'm not Korean food purists, but every Korean restaurant you go to always provides this for free. I don't think it was worth the price and I sure as hell wasn't going to pay whatever they were charging for Kimchi. Instead, I got their celebrated pork buns (pork buns (kunan farm, on) – hoisin, scallion, cucumber), and I was impressed with how good it tasted. Just a fair bit of warning they come out quite hot, so I had to use chopsticks to grip them and my other hand to maneuver them into the old chops. You get two pieces of incredibly tasty and tender pork belly in each bun (two buns per order) and they were exactly what I had expected the pork belly at Banh Mi Boys to be like (decently big cuts with delicious fat and just the right amount of hoisin sauce). The scallions and cucumber were a nice touch and really gave it a bit of a crunchy texture along with the moistness of the bun. These were definitely the highlight of my meal.

Main dish: As Momofuku is a noodle bar at the time I went, I had the momofuku ramen ( (kunan farm, on) - pork belly & shoulder, fish cake, egg). I wasn't impressed, to say the least, and I've had much better for much less in Toronto. There were two big pieces of pork belly (the same kind as you get in the pork buns) along with two sheets of seaweed, scallions, two small pieces of fish cake, and a seemingly poached egg that exploded when you tried to pick it up. The broth had a bit of a mushroom flavour to it and wasn't as creamy and rich as I'm used to; it was a pretty big let down to be honest, and I felt no compulsion to drink it after finishing. The noodles were decent, but nothing spectacular and only just got the job done. The pork was excellent, but that stupid egg exploding was stupid and I don't know why they just didn't do the regular old half hard boiled egg. Overall, I would not be coming back here if I had a hankering for some ramen.

Price: With the drink, buns, and ramen, the price came out to be 44 CAD including taxes. In retrospect, I probably should've stuck with the regular water, the buns, and the noodles. Keep in mind this is for one person, and for that price, I could've gone to any number of better places for brunch with my wife.

Verdict: Would not recommend unless you want to try the pork buns. Much better ramen places in Toronto.

Momofuku Milk Bar

When you go upstairs, you'll see this clear glass enclosure where they have the AC cranked up to Antarctica to keep everything in there from melting. There was an assortment of shirts, pins, cookie mixes, and cookies, but only one kind of pie (crack pie) and their b'day truffles. I pretty much got everything here except for the blueberry cookies, and only had one of the b'day truffles thus far. I was ready to hate on the truffles, but I'm impressed with how sweet it was without going into 'too sweet'. It had a nice chewy centre and was really soft and tasty. The cookies...I'm waiting for them to warm up a bit before trying them as they felt stiff when I picked them up. Ditto for the crack pie. Personally, if they really want to have this milk bar do well here, they should open up the goddamn bakery on site instead of flying all this shit here from NY and keeping it refrigerated.

Never been, but I've heard the Five Guys on Yonge/Dundas is stingy as fuck with their fries. And dumping in tons of fries is supposed to be Five Guys' signature!

The one on York Mills/Don Mills is great. We went pretty late one time, and they had too many fries left over, so the dudes offered us a whole pile of 'em for free. Mmmm. Five Guys' fries are yummy.
the five guys on york mills is the opposite. Get a small fries in there and half the brown bag will have fries in it. And I went during the day so it wasn't just a night time oddity for you!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi yesterday and now I've been longing for some quality sushi

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Before long all restaurants in Toronto will be sushi, burgers or wings

Kinda hope this sushi craze goes away.

Seemed like Korean and Vietnamese noodle places were going to be the rage, but it's ramen and burgers right now.

I don't think it's possible to have good wings in Toronto... :(
edit: because none of you guys are doing it... :mad: pic of the day

Divvy

The best wings I've had in the GTA is from a dinky little hole in the wall in Oakville called the Wingery

Nothing else has come close

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I need Toronto-GAFs help! So I got my hands on a roomba for free. It's the 599 model.

Problem is, while I know it works, there is no charger, so after like an hour of playing with it, it died and now I am sad. I wanna buy a charger and a dock, but it seems like it's really hard to find one that ships to Canada and doesn't cost 100+ dollars.

Anyone know where I can get one in the city maybe?

At momofuku right now. Bitching or praising incoming.

I was there just a few weeks ago, and I'd agree with your assessment. I thought the pork buns were amazing, but everything else was just ok. I'd say I enjoyed it overall, but overpriced sure and nothing is really compelling me to go back (outside of pork buns).

I might go back to check out the milk bar but eh no rush.

ismk

Depending on your what degree and experience is, it can be very difficult to get a job. I'm not trying to deter ya here, but unless you have connections or an in-demand job, expect to take 6 - 10+ months looking for a job with a livable wage.

Otherwise, it's a great city...

Besides our mayor...
Besides our shit transit system...
Besides our ghettos...
Besides the homeless...
Besides the crazy weather...
Besides kave_man...

Wait...dafuq am I living here for?!

Toronto doesn't really have a ghetto nor crazy weather problem. And to my knowledge, Toronto's homeless problem is probably at par or less than other big cities.

Quadratic

Any of you guys been to Chino Loco's? They have some of the best burritos I've had in Toronto. Chinese/Mexican infused. Where else can you get chow mein in your burrito?

Hieberrr

I'm planning on doing a day trip to see Thousand Islands -- I am assuming I can drive ti Ganonoque and then catch a boat ride on one of their cruises/ferries, right? I just don't want to pre-book anything.

Has anyone been there? Any tips?

Divvy

I'm planning on doing a day trip to see Thousand Islands -- I am assuming I can drive ti Ganonoque and then catch a boat ride on one of their cruises/ferries, right? I just don't want to pre-book anything.

Has anyone been there? Any tips?

Been there once, and my parents a few times. I don't ever recall having to prebook or anything. Though it's been a while since I've been

Hieberrr

Been there once, and my parents a few times. I don't ever recall having to prebook or anything. Though it's been a while since I've been

I'm checking online at the moment and it seems like I need to go to Gananoque and then take one of the bout tours (e.g., Gananoque Boat Line). Looks like Brockville is much nicer than Gananoque though :(

E: I guess I'll hit Gan up and just visit Brockville some other day.

mr.rager

Hello Toronto-Gaf! Any recommendations for good ramen places in Toronto? Wasn't much of a ramen type of guy until I had some in Japan and now i'm craving for some good ramen. Tonkotsu ramen to be exact.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hello Toronto-Gaf! Any recommendations for good ramen places in Toronto? Wasn't much of a ramen type of guy until I had some in Japan and now i'm craving for some good ramen. Tonkotsu ramen to be exact.

Hm, well the guys here mentioned Ryoji on the previous page. I really liked Kinton Ramen though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Dear god man, use this avatar instead.

cYI0rEC.png

This is what your current avatar looks like for those of us using the dark theme.

w9QqmqG.png

Divvy

My girlfriend swears by Sansotei ramen

mr.rager

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll try them all out.

Dear god man, use this avatar instead.
This is what your current avatar looks like for those of us using the dark theme.

My bad, never used the dark theme before. Thanks for fixing my avatar, appreciate it.

Top Bottom