• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

yyzjohn

Banned
Brass Taps on Danforth near Logan has 1/2 price pizza Wednesdays. Pizza is amazing (High Stakes Porker is my fave) and solid beer selection too. It's like a 5 minute walk from Chester station.

I have to agree, been to Brass Taps a few times and the pizza is good.

Anyone here from Hamilton?

Thinking of moving/buying a house there sooner rather than later and trying to figure out the best "up and coming" neighborhoods. St. James North is where we're looking but we could be convinced to move a bit father east.

I've lived in Parkdale/Bloordale in Toronto for most of the last 10 years or so I don't mind sketchiness as long as there's some redeeming qualities and potential.

BadWolf

I live south of there and it's a great area. Decent price. Unless you want a basement apt we are renting out. But everyone hates them! D:

Brass Taps on Danforth near Logan has 1/2 price pizza Wednesdays. Pizza is amazing (High Stakes Porker is my fave) and solid beer selection too. It's like a 5 minute walk from Chester station.

Have to agree. A coworker of mine bought a house last year at Main/Gerrard (Kimberley Ave) and I enjoy going there. Plus you're so close to The Beaches where there is always something going on.

BadWolf, you said 3 hours?! Where you coming from?

Sounds great, thanks guys :)

I live in Mississauga so yeah, the trip to work and back is about 3 hours. Used to be even longer at my old job (which was in Woodbridge). Tried to find work closer to home but no luck so will do the opposite, very tired of this traveling.

And no hehe, not interest in a basement, just apartments.

soultron

Banned
Anyone here from Hamilton?

Thinking of moving/buying a house there sooner rather than later and trying to figure out the best "up and coming" neighborhoods. St. James North is where we're looking but we could be convinced to move a bit father east.

I've lived in Parkdale/Bloordale in Toronto for most of the last 10 years or so I don't mind sketchiness as long as there's some redeeming qualities and potential.

Came to Toronto from Hamilton (lived in Hamilton for 5ish years) last summer. Close to the university and downtown are fairly safe areas if that's what you're concerned about.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hamilton at the very least has August 8. One of the best AYCE sushi/dim sum places I've ever been too.

My friends and I have driven there just to eat at that place before. And we stop by every time we drive to the states as well.

soultron

Banned
Hamilton at the very least has August 8. One of the best AYCE sushi/dim sum places I've ever been too.

My friends and I have driven there just to eat at that place before. And we stop by every time we drive to the states as well.

Hah. Just stopped in there over the long weekend. Really good, I agree.

Hamilton has tonnes of redeeming stuff. James St Art Crawl, Princess Point, etc.

Divvy

Hah. Just stopped in there over the long weekend. Really good, I agree.

Hamilton has tonnes of redeeming stuff. James St Art Crawl, Princess Point, etc.

Yup, we're going to buffalo for shopping or some crap, but honestly I'm mostly just looking forward to coming back and eating there.

Does anyone know an affordable and efficient transportation from Union Station to Pearson Airport?

I guess a Go Bus?

I'm having difficulty finding something solid searching on Google.

Divvy

Does anyone know an affordable and efficient transportation from Union Station to Pearson Airport?

I guess a Go Bus?

I'm having difficulty finding something solid searching on Google.

When do you need to go? Soon? or 2015?

If it's the former, probably taking the subway and taking the 192 Airport rocket from there.

When do you need to go? Soon? or 2015?

If it's the former, probably taking the subway and taking the 192 Airport rocket from there.
Hmm, the subway to which station? Downsview? (sorry haven't rode the subway in years) And how much would this all cost ($3.00 for TTC) and whatever the Airport Rocket fee is?

Yeah I need to fly out this Saturday, can't wait for the Metrolinx Union to Pearson Express 2015.

krae_man

Hmm, the subway to which station? Downsview? (sorry haven't rode the subway in years) And how much would this all cost ($3.00 for TTC) and whatever the Airport Rocket fee is?

Yeah I need to fly out this Saturday, can't wait for the Metrolinx Union to Pearson Express 2015.

You can take the Subway to Lawrence West, then TTC 58A to Pearson:

http://www.ttc.ca/Riding_the_TTC/Airport_service.jsp

Your other option is the Subway to Kippling Station, then the Airport Rocket Divvy suggested.

Divvy

Oh sorry, Kipling station

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Hey Toronto Gaf! Quick question if I may. Me and my wife are on honeymoon in Toronto at the moment over from the UK and we are going to see a show at the Virgin Mod Club tomorrow night. Whats the subway like post 10.30 (which I presume is kick out time) for safe passage back to the centre of downtown where we are staying?

I'm not too worried as I use the tube a lot in London when there but I think she will be a bit uncomfortable if were sat in a car on our own like its a scene from The Warriors or something.

As an aside what a fantastically diverse and amazing city you guys have. Were really enjoying our time here so far.

Hey Toronto Gaf! Quick question if I may. Me and my wife are on honeymoon in Toronto at the moment over from the UK and we are going to see a show at the Virgin Mod Club tomorrow night. Whats the subway like post 10.30 (which I presume is kick out time) for safe passage back to the centre of downtown where we are staying?

I'm not too worried as I use the tube a lot in London when there but I think she will be a bit uncomfortable if were sat in a car on our own like its a scene from The Warriors or something.

As an aside what a fantastically diverse and amazing city you guys have. Were really enjoying our time here so far.
Subways run till 12:30, so you should be good. And since you're at college st, the streetcars should all run ~24 hours within that area to the core.

Divvy

Congrats on the marriage! Glad you're having fun here!

The subway here is really safe relative to a lot of cities, even late at night. I've never heard of anybody getting hassled here at an hour that I can think of.

yyzjohn

Banned

I'm shocked you're on Honeymoon in Toronto. Being from here I never picture it as a vacation destination. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
I'm shocked you're on Honeymoon in Toronto. Being from here I never picture it as a vacation destination. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Were going to Niagra on the lake and a few days in the falls and North Ontario so its not just Toronto but were not really the type of people to sit on a beach for two weeks so being here gives us some good options for exploring.

It was also really well priced. My wifes a teacher which means we can only travel during school holidays which is a notoriously expensive time to travel back home.

Thanks for the advice on the subway folks we will just jump back on after the show.

krae_man

So quick poll. Who can make it out to a little get together on Monday August 19th. Early evening, probably not going any later then 10pm.

Divvy

So quick poll. Who can make it out to a little get together on Monday August 19th. Early evening, probably not going any later then 10pm.

Sounds good, depending on where in the city. As long as it's not like in etobicoke or something, I should be good.

krae_man

It's going to be downtown somewhere. Help me with suggestions on a nice place easily accessible to the Subway.

Got to make it easy for the out of towner to get there.

yyzjohn

Banned
I live in the area. Been to all the good restaurants, so the crowds are just annoying. I don't even think it's a good way to experience the restaurants anyway.

It gets worse and worse every year too. I remember when it first started it wasn't nearly as crowded as it gets nowadays. There's no way I'd go down to the Danforth during this weekend, waste of time. I feel for the locals there.

Willectro

Banned
It gets worse and worse every year too. I remember when it first started it wasn't nearly as crowded as it gets nowadays. There's no way I'd go down to the Danforth during this weekend, waste of time. I feel for the locals there.

I don't mind crowds if its a decent event (CNE for example). But I can't figure out why people go to Taste of the Danforth. If you want to check out the restaurants, it's the worst weekend of the year to do so. People just seem to wander around and line up for food. Other than advertising the area, the whole thing seems pointless.

You can take the Subway to Lawrence West, then TTC 58A to Pearson:

http://www.ttc.ca/Riding_the_TTC/Airport_service.jsp

Your other option is the Subway to Kippling Station, then the Airport Rocket Divvy suggested.
Yah do the subway to Lawrence west then 58A which takes you directly into terminal 1. Other option is GO train to Malton station and then your basically right in front of the airport. You can catch the 58 if you cross the street onto airport road from there as well I believe. Lawrence subway route is probably easier albeit a little less comfortable than a Go train maybe.

explodet

Holy shit, every single station south of the Bloor/Danforth line is out of commission this weekend.

Fuck shuttle buses, I'll just walk.

Top Bottom