• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Went to the Taste of Danforth today with the wife and while we had a great time I was blown away by some of the queues for the greek food. Surely you can buy all that any day of the week if you go down Danforth? Its mostly the shop and restaurant owners that run their own stalls right or did I get that wrong?

Also great little game shop down there. Managed to pick up 999 new on DS which I have been seeking out since I got here. Gutted I had already bought Dragons Crown from EB though as their copies had the art book.

Still absolutely loving our time in the city. Really don't want to move on to Niagra later this week.

You're mostly right. Some places only make and sell stuff for that day only though. I believe Cristina's makes their god tier lamb pies (whatever the hell it is they're called) for Taste. I've been in there on regular days and I didn't see it on their menu. The rest of the stuff, yeah, you can get it any day of the week. The point is to go and see the spectacle though and see what everyone has to offer and to get a small sample (albeit at a premium).

I hate that there's nowhere to sit, that you never get enough tissue, that the garbage bins ALWAYS overflow (seriously, 20 years now and they can't get that shit fixed?!), huge crowds and super long line ups. Still, I'd recommend it if you've never been, but if you've been several times already like myself (I live within walking distance) there's nothing new that makes me NEED to go...pretty much similar to CNE.

cube444

Went to the Taste of Danforth today with the wife and while we had a great time I was blown away by some of the queues for the greek food. Surely you can buy all that any day of the week if you go down Danforth? Its mostly the shop and restaurant owners that run their own stalls right or did I get that wrong?

Also great little game shop down there. Managed to pick up 999 new on DS which I have been seeking out since I got here. Gutted I had already bought Dragons Crown from EB though as their copies had the art book.

Still absolutely loving our time in the city. Really don't want to move on to Niagra later this week.

Game Centre? It's been there for almost 20 years. It first used to be just west of there on the same side where the Shoppers Drug Mart currently resides. Back then that building had various small businesses throughout it.

Anyone still interested in a meetup during Fan Expo?

I'm thinking Sunday (the 25th.)

The event schedule will be released on Monday, so maybe we'll all have a better idea of what day works best for us once we know which day(s) we want to attend? lol

I have that week off from work. So I am ok with anything, if anyone wants to spend some time at Fan Expo or do something downtown after that.

Hieberrr

Its like $20 to switch plans.

Edit: Why do you want to switch. Do you need province wide calling instead of local, or Can/US text instead of just Canada? Otherwise the plants are exactly he same. Also isn't back to school $29 not $25?

Looks like they have a $33/month plan which is just the $30 plan with the World saver add on in it for an extra $3 instead of $8.

Honestly, the best you can probably hope for is the $40 plan including voice mail for free.
I went with the cheaper BTS plan that was $25/mo. with VM+ and 100 MB of data. I'm looking to make the switch to the $30/mo. plan without VM+ (since I barely ever use VM) and now need unlimited data.

I looked at the $33/mo. plan, but I'm not sure I even need World Saver.

But yikes if it is $20 :S I guess it wouldn't be so bad for a one-time fee.

Roto13

Game Centre? It's been there for almost 20 years. It first used to be just west of there on the same side where the Shoppers Drug Mart currently resides. Back then that building had various small businesses throughout it.

If I move away from Toronto, Game Centre is what I'll miss the most.

krae_man

I went with the cheaper BTS plan that was $25/mo. with VM+ and 100 MB of data. I'm looking to make the switch to the $30/mo. plan without VM+ (since I barely ever use VM) and now need unlimited data.

I looked at the $33/mo. plan, but I'm not sure I even need World Saver.

But yikes if it is $20 :S I guess it wouldn't be so bad for a one-time fee.

Just pay to make the switch.

You're not going to get anything cheaper then $30 for unlimited Calling, Texting and Data if you don't need anything that isn't in that plan(Canada wide, Voice Mail etc)

Edit:

FanExpo schedule:

http://www.fanexpocanada.com/2013/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/DRAFT_SCHEDULE_2013.pdf

I still say Sunday for the meetup.

Quadratic

I've organized the meet-up the past few years, i'm just waiting for the schedule to release tomorrow before I start organizing it.

I'll be in for the meetup this year. The patio last year (Caseys) I think was fine. Although it might be an option to get away from the general crazy of the convention centre area.

The bonus streetpasses while eating dinner were nice though.

Sober

Just pay to make the switch.

You're not going to get anything cheaper then $30 for unlimited Calling, Texting and Data if you don't need anything that isn't in that plan(Canada wide, Voice Mail etc)

Edit:

FanExpo schedule:

http://www.fanexpocanada.com/2013/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/DRAFT_SCHEDULE_2013.pdf

I still say Sunday for the meetup.
Fuck that schedule. Making me try to go for two days.

Sunday will probably force me to travel downtown for a third! But I'll do it for GAF! (need more #teamSaturday)

Trying to get OSAP as a mature student now. I don't even know what an OAN number is but apparently I need one.

Another hoop to jump through.

I have managed to make it this far now. I'm leaving my job and attending Humber College for Journalism.

Madness.

whitehawk

Banned
Does anyone know where I can get a decently priced lavalier microphone? Like this one. Long and McQuade is charging quite a bit for them.

u63bMaF.jpg

http://www.adorama.com/NALM14UM.html

Eleuin

Hm, I may have to stop by game centre soon, I hope their trade in prices aren't too bad.

E-DuB

Can anyone recommend a good steak place in the city? I have a bit of an event that I'm running on Saturday and we'll need to get food to kick things off.

Thanks peeps!

Brinbe

Toronto Star is now charging for full access to their website. Fuck that.

Exactly, there's not enough original compelling content to even consider it. At least you know you're getting quality work if you subscribe to something like the NYT.

I mean, they're better than the other papers, but that's not saying much and their sports coverage is awful

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Exactly, there's not enough original compelling content to even consider it. At least you know you're getting quality work if you subscribe to something like the NYT.

I mean, they're better than the other papers, but that's not saying much and their sports coverage is awful

Awful is an understatement. They got absolutely terrible guys covering every sport.

For as much as I don't like Simmons he at least on a regular basis can write a pretty good article.

I'd love nothing more then to see Doug Smith moved somewhere else off the Raptors beat, at this point I honestly think anyone with a decent background in basketball could do a better job then him.

soultron, word of warning, don't reply. :p It's best for you not to, at least not publicly on a forum here.

How to build a AAA studio overnight - Ubisoft Toronto's about to launch its first game with Splinter Cell Blacklist - but this is no start-up story.

"It was really about working with people from other companies and learning from there. I've spent 12 years making games at Ubisoft Montreal, so I knew how to make a Ubisoft Montreal game. But I have no idea how a Rockstar game is made, or a Call of Duty, because we had very little people that had come in." Toronto, with the language barrier presented by the predominantly French-speaking Montreal lowered, has allowed Ubisoft's new studio to recruit from across the globe, and to attract developers from big-name franchises who were previously wary of such a move.

I wonder how the provincial government feels about that 260 Million dollar pledge that was suppose to be hinged on hiring local talent. I wonder what the required make-up is local to the province or the country.

I think the last time I received an OSAP loan it was all done on paper.

Bah. I just need to go into the financial aid office and work it all out.

As long as I have all the logistics worked out before September 3rd, I will be pleased.
The new system is supposedly faster over the paper way of doing it, or so I've read. All they are waiting for is essentially the mail in portion of it which is just 4 signatures (you print them out once you finish the questionnaire for OSAP). Then your total basically gets calculated a couple days after. I was only waiting a week and a half (from application to finish) for my exact total to go through this year. After that, they just wait to be confirmed by the college that you are attending before they dole out the money within the first week of september.

The new system is supposedly faster over the paper way of doing it, or so I've read. All they are waiting for is essentially the mail in portion of it which is just 4 signatures (you print them out once you finish the questionnaire for OSAP). Then your total basically gets calculated a couple days after. I was only waiting a week and a half (from application to finish) for my exact total to go through this year. After that, they just wait to be confirmed by the college that you are attending before they dole out the money within the first week of september.

Thanks. Judging by my research, I am probably going to be receiving nothing this year anyways. I'm leaving my job to return to school so I should have enough saved to cover this year. It's going to be tight.

Next year, I will definitely need it.

Wish there were some grants for mature students, but there appears to be nothing out there.

Stet

Banned
I hate Kensington. I really hate it. The only decent thing about the neighborhood is pedestrian Sundays and the pedestrians in that area are insufferable. I hope they build a Walmart on Bathurst.

Thanks. Judging by my research, I am probably going to be receiving nothing this year anyways. I'm leaving my job to return to school so I should have enough saved to cover this year. It's going to be tight.

Next year, I will definitely need it.

Wish there were some grants for mature students, but there appears to be nothing out there.

Well, just by applying for OSAP you should atleast get the 30% off Tuition thing... Or you can apply for it separately here. Pretty much all of my classmates, mature and not mature got it. It should atleast pay for books. and equipment

isny

napkin dispenser
Well, just by applying for OSAP you should atleast get the 30% off Tuition thing... Or you can apply for it separately here. Pretty much all of my classmates, mature and not mature got it. It should atleast pay for books. and equipment

Mature students cannot receive the 30% off.

isny

napkin dispenser
Can they not? Odd. I thought I remembered people saying they got it when applying as a mature student.

"Am I eligible?
You could be eligible for 30% off tuition, if:

you’re a full-time student at a public college or university in Ontario
you’ve been out of high school for less than four years (or less than 6 years if you’re a student with a permanent disability)
you’re in a program you can apply to directly from high school (e.g., undergraduate level)
you meet the citizenship and residency requirements
your parents’ gross income (total before taxes) is $160,000 or less"

Believe me, I wish I could get 30% off tuition, lol

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Visiting this weekend. Recommendations for museums, ethnic food, beer bars, gay bars... it's all appreciated.

The Ai Wei Wei exhibit is at the AGO this weekend. That's definitely a thing to see if you're into that kind of stuff.

CNE is entertaning if you've never really gone to that sort of thing. That being said, it's a good place to clog your arteries with bacon topped everything.

Top Bottom