• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Get fucked! Stop linking that terrible song!

Makes me sick that I actually know people who like it.

From the Isle of Vancouver
To the Labrador Sea
One nation, glorious and free
Where I'm free to be me.

From the song of the Prairies
To the call of the pond
Heroes of times come and gone
Where the memories go on and on and on
Oh! Oh! Oh! This is Canada's song
Oh! Oh! Oh! Where my heart belongs

Free to be a dreamer
Free to be who you are
Free to believe in your star
Free to go far
Oh! Oh! Oh! That's Canada's dream (Go Leafs Go)
Oh! Oh! Oh! This is Canada's team (Go Leafs Go)

Free to be a dreamer
Free to be who you are

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
To the Labrador Sea
Where I'm free to be me.

To the call of the pond

Free to be a dreamer
Free to be who you are
Free to go far

Free to be a dreamer
Free to be who you are

Gonna demote you to the ECHL.

Quick

Banned
Kuro, BigJonsson, the fuck guys.

That song needs to stop playing. Really hope they don't play it at the game tonight.

To the Labrador Sea
Where I'm free to be me.

To the call of the pond

Free to be a dreamer
Free to be who you are
Free to go far

Free to be a dreamer
Free to be who you are

As a Leafs fan I believe I have it on good authority that this song fucking sucks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This likely has no bearing on any of you, but the off leash area at Sir Casimir Gzowski Park (Windermere and Lakeshore) is open. It's on the west end of the parking lot, sandwiched between Lakeshore and the bicycle route through the park. It's pretty long, although not very wide. The base is sand as well, which is so much better than grass which eventually becomes nothing, but mud.

We really needed this for residents west of High Park. Rennie Park was our only official off leash dog park, but no one (bylaw officers, dog walkers, city staff) could tell you were exactly the off leash area was. Now we have a real fenced in park, hooray.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
This likely has no bearing on any of you, but the off leash area at Sir Casimir Gzowski Park (Windermere and Lakeshore) is open. It's on the west end of the parking lot, sandwiched between Lakeshore and the bicycle route through the park. It's pretty long, although not very wide. The base is sand as well, which is so much better than grass which eventually becomes nothing, but mud.

We really needed this for residents west of High Park. Rennie Park was our only official off leash dog park, but no one (bylaw officers, dog walkers, city staff) could tell you were exactly the off leash area was. Now we have a real fenced in park, hooray.

So, Dragona letting you off the leash to run around in the park now, EM?

I forgot to tap on my presto card today on the GO train to school. First time ever. Can't believe I forgot and only realized it half way to Union. Got lucky no one came to check. I was really nervous that last half of the trip.

How much is the fine anyways? Whatever it is I know I probably can't afford it. It made me wonder how many people get away without paying. I've been on trains where a few people next to me were caught not paying but in all my years taking the train I've probably been asked to see proof of payment maybe 3-5 times. It's kind of shocking how little they come checking. At least on the Georgetown line from Bramalea to Union and return.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I forgot to tap on my presto card today on the GO train to school. First time ever. Can't believe I forgot and only realized it half way to Union. Got lucky no one came to check. I was really nervous that last half of the trip.

How much is the fine anyways? Whatever it is I know I probably can't afford it. It made me wonder how many people get away without paying. I've been on trains where a few people next to me were caught not paying but in all my years taking the train I've probably been asked to see proof of payment maybe 3-5 times. It's kind of shocking how little they come checking. At least on the Georgetown line from Bramalea to Union and return.

It was $110 a couple of years ago. Not sure if it's been raised. Taking the Lakeshore line during rush hour for a couple of years, I'd be frequently checked. My wife lost her stub one day and of course was checked, and fined. Went to talk to a judge about it and had it reduced to about half the amount.

It seems like plenty of people will risk the fine in all Proof of Payment systems (TTC, GO Transit, SkyTrain in Vancounver). I guess given the cost of a monthly GO Transit pass, they figure the fine is offset by the 'savings'.

Once upon a time, the fare checkers would only fine you if they couldn't otherwise deduct the payment from your card/ticket on site. Which is to say, if you had run like stink to catch your train but didn't take a fare from your 10-ride from the green box, they'd just write one in with a permanent marker and let you be on your way.

Seems to me this isn't a bad way to operate most of the time, in particular since GO doesn't seem to see the need to enforce POP areas with things like turnstiles and 24/7 fare enforcement officers.

Stet

Banned
Today I had the nicest bus driver lady of all time. I've never experienced such a happy bus driver. She was telling people to "take care" n shit.

It made me SICK.

The other day I was about to miss a bus on Sherbourne and the driver stopped 100 feet short to let me on and then stopped again at the stop. Fucking asshole.

Twitter erupting with news that the TTC is studying strollers on vehicles during rush hour. Funny that Stintz pushed for that so soon after the "Where’s his dad? ... If he even has a father." story.

I have to feel for those moms who have no choice but to cart their kids around on the TTC; it's incredibly difficult even when people are in an accommodating mood. And that thing with the driver's verbal abuse of that one mother is just disgusting.

But we have to find a way to make this work for everyone. Strollers aren't like bikes and large luggage, which are already prohibited on board during rush hours. They carry little people.

And, I say that as someone who silently grumbles every time someone takes up space for 8 with an oversized stroller on a packed train or bus...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The other day I was about to miss a bus on Sherbourne and the driver stopped 100 feet short to let me on and then stopped again at the stop. Fucking asshole.

Worse. than. Animal. Rapists.

I have to feel for those moms who have no choice but to cart their kids around on the TTC; it's incredibly difficult even when people are in an accommodating mood. And that thing with the driver's verbal abuse of that one mother is just disgusting.

But we have to find a way to make this work for everyone. Strollers aren't like bikes and large luggage, which are already prohibited on board during rush hours. They carry little people.

And, I say that as someone who silently grumbles every time someone takes up space for 8 with an oversized stroller on a packed train or bus...

Takes up the 3 seater near the front. Uh huh!

It was $110 a couple of years ago. Not sure if it's been raised. Taking the Lakeshore line during rush hour for a couple of years, I'd be frequently checked. My wife lost her stub one day and of course was checked, and fined. Went to talk to a judge about it and had it reduced to about half the amount.

It seems like plenty of people will risk the fine in all Proof of Payment systems (TTC, GO Transit, SkyTrain in Vancounver). I guess given the cost of a monthly GO Transit pass, they figure the fine is offset by the 'savings'.

Once upon a time, the fare checkers would only fine you if they couldn't otherwise deduct the payment from your card/ticket on site. Which is to say, if you had run like stink to catch your train but didn't take a fare from your 10-ride from the green box, they'd just write one in with a permanent marker and let you be on your way.

Seems to me this isn't a bad way to operate most of the time, in particular since GO doesn't seem to see the need to enforce POP areas with things like turnstiles and 24/7 fare enforcement officers.
Yikes $110 is a lot. I wonder if they're going to give people a bit of a free pass for the next little bit while people are getting used to the presto service, now that they stopped selling monthly passes and all.

I wouldn't risk not paying and getting fined even if it could be offset by the savings. With my luck I'd get checked two days in a row. On top of that...morals and all. I'm glad luck was in my favor today but people not paying and getting away with it is shitty for me as a paying customer. I'm guessing GO is going to love how much money in fines they'll be making with everyone switching to presto and forgetting to scan.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yikes $110 is a lot. I wonder if they're going to give people a bit of a free pass for the next little bit while people are getting used to the presto service, now that they stopped selling monthly passes and all.

I wouldn't risk not paying and getting fined even if it could be offset by the savings. With my luck I'd get checked two days in a row. On top of that...morals and all. I'm glad luck was in my favor today but people not paying and getting away with it is shitty for me as a paying customer. I'm guessing GO is going to love how much money in fines they'll be making with everyone switching to presto and forgetting to scan.

Definitely. I wouldn't skip on payment on principal and I would be a nervous wreck every trip. Haha. It would be nice if they gave people a bit more leeway as PRESTO comes into service, but I have a feeling they'll take all the money they can find.

ZZMitch

I am super pumped that one of my classes records the lecture live which you can listen to online. Don't have to leave my dorm!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So wait a minute guys. Is Doug Ford really our Budget Chief?

According to him, it's just temporary and he doesn't even want the title. But he is basically the Budget Chief for now. There are only a handful of Fordies left at this point.

KcmqrMA.jpg

source

Quick

Banned
The bus driver may have given me some indication of acknowledgement. I want to call it a half-nod, but it could have been her head twitching briefly.

Magnus

Made this cuz I couldn't find the original. Yay.

Totally spaced and forgot that I could probably just use a meme generator instead of laboring over Photoshop to do it. Alas. (I suck at PS, so yeah, it was a labor)

xnwopA6.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Made this cuz I couldn't find the original. Yay.

Totally spaced and forgot that I could probably just use a meme generator instead of laboring over Photoshop to do it. Alas. (I suck at PS, so yeah, it was a labor)

xnwopA6.jpg

Or the equally annoying.

i41b16u0Mrp31.jpg

Always hilarious when a streetcar will blow through a yellow/red light just to keep up with the pack of three streetcars immediately ahead of it.

Top Bottom