• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

g6HvpW4.jpg

source

I'm off to Montreal for the weekend now! I have my new t-shirt ready to go!

Wb2IJeH.jpg

See ya Monday!

Rinoa

Oh wow, I didn't really think that my scenario was the same as the late night stop request service the TTC has, but it's essentially the same thing. The difference is that I think the drivers are more willing/obligated to let people off between stops at night because it's more of an increased safety thing. It was originally for women too, but I think now it's marketed to everyone.

And in your case, you have every right to ask the bus driver stop somewhere closer to your home. The situation you described is exactly why the program is in place! :)

The main reason I ironically lack balls to ask is because Dufferin bus itself is often full of (angry/sketchy) people in a rush to get home themselves, and seeing the bus stop in between two long stops makes them go ehhhh. Though I often get bothered/stared at/followed/harassed right IN that bus too when there's less people at night, lose lose situation!

You shall receive a good beating.

Beat me to it.

http://www.buytopia.ca/deal/3140
modo is having one of those coupon deals, guess they have trouble getting people going there (remember my joke of a review lol

The main reason I ironically lack balls to ask is because Dufferin bus itself is often full of (angry/sketchy) people in a rush to get home themselves, and seeing the bus stop in between two long stops makes them go ehhhh. Though I often get bothered/stared at/followed/harassed right IN that bus too when there's less people at night, lose lose situation!

Mere mention of the Dufferin bus gives me a shudder. I've felt safer on the Weston bus.

ANYWAY, the distance between stops on a TTC bus is the TTC's fault. I think it's nuts that the bus or streetcar can foreseeably stop every 100m or less. But, since the stops are available, it's our prerogative to use them, even if it does kill the bus' "momentum", such as it is.

Something I think the TTC should have considered is a model similar to what I've seen in Vancouver - buses that run long routes stop at only major intersections, complemented by "local" routes that will stop every 100-200m, give or take, in a local area loop.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Mere mention of the Dufferin bus gives me a shudder. I've felt safer on the Weston bus.

ANYWAY, the distance between stops on a TTC bus is the TTC's fault. I think it's nuts that the bus or streetcar can foreseeably stop every 100m or less. But, since the stops are available, it's our prerogative to use them, even if it does kill the bus' "momentum", such as it is.

Something I think the TTC should have considered is a model similar to what I've seen in Vancouver - buses that run long routes stop at only major intersections, complemented by "local" routes that will stop every 100-200m, give or take, in a local area loop.

The 72 is pretty bad with stops on half blocks. Then I see people get off one of them and walk 'towards' the next stop....

Or, the bus will pick up a bunch of people, go half a block and stop for one person.

Initially, I could see the justification of proximate bus stops on the basis that folks had mobility issues, etc. But we have Wheel-Trans. So I wonder, a little.

I get that Wheel-Trans doesn't have the best of records for timeliness, etc, and the TTC works on an anti-incentive system. But still. I wonder.

The drivers letting off is super situational and really depends on driver's call. Depends on the time of day, how much they're off schedule, and safety.

I haven't used the stopping between stops before though, has anyone? I've yet to get the balls to ask for it. I get home very late and have to walk by 3 sketchy bars with men always outside being jerks & car repair shops, from all of them I get honked/hollered at every time, even in the morning. Not to mention they park their cars right on the sidewalk, causing people to walk through traffic at some points.

Complaining by phone works, but even better is going to Davisville in person. I've had neighbors with special access needs who had to complain a few times about the drivers for various reasons, doing so in person worked and we got new drivers in the end.
I know of someone that does it all the time. Why not take advantage if you can.

Anth0ny

Random question: Are there any flea markets in the GTA that has retro games for cheap?

So far, I've been picking up games at A&C downtown, Anime North and Fan Expo. The games weren't exactly cheap.

Then, I started to stumble across flea market videos on Youtube, with people finding some awesome stuff for SUPER cheap. I don't recall finding anything worth a shit anywhere near as cheap at any of the places I mentioned above, or ebay.

I went to a flea market once (forget the name, it was indoor), but it was basically a Fan Expo booth with a dude who was clearly knowledgeable about games selling stuff for above average prices.

So what I'm asking is... do we have any of those flea markets with somewhat ignorant people selling their old games for far less than their actual value, or is that a States only thing?

Hey guys, I was wondering. Is there anywhere that has Indoor Skydiving here in Toronto?

I've always wanted to try it out but I can't seem to find anything.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Since added_time is out of town, I guess I'll do the photo of the day. Here's something different.

Roncesvalles / Queen / King intersection 1909

i5ywpSwAk5Vvy.jpg

And the same intersection from 2012

iWeMWtoUMIXms.jpg

And oh fine, here's your obligatory skyline photo. No larger source, sadly.

8499657896_8dd49157e1_h.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Since added_time is out of town, I guess I'll do the photo of the day. Here's something different.

Roncesvalles / Queen / King intersection 1909

i5ywpSwAk5Vvy.jpg

And the same intersection from 2012

iWeMWtoUMIXms.jpg

And oh fine, here's your obligatory skyline photo. No larger source, sadly.

8499657896_8dd49157e1_h.jpg
Near cherry bomb cafe? Man...their croissants so gud

Quadratic

Have any of you guys been to the Red Rocket coffee shops in the east end? Just stopped by at the Greenwood/Danforth location and grabbed bagel baked in house and a Stone Hammer craft beer. I really like how this neighbourhood is gentrifying. (Bias since I now work around here)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Have any of you guys been to the Red Rocket coffee shops in the east end? Just stopped by at the Greenwood/Danforth location and grabbed bagel baked in house and a Stone Hammer craft beer. I really like how this neighbourhood is gentrifying. (Bias since I now work around here)

I visited it a few times when it was down on Queen St. Always friendly with good coffee. Not on the east end very often though.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
It's not my kind of place, but the people there were extremely friendly.

Stet

Banned

The one at Wellesley and Homewood is pretty good. Generally not very busy either, which is good because they don't have much seating.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Obivously I'm pissed and frustrated right now but somehow we are somehow still in the playoffs and in 6th place right now.

Shit needs to get fixed but despite the failures of the last million years I will still look at the bright side for now...until we face Boston in the back to back games.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Obivously I'm pissed and frustrated right now but somehow we are somehow still in the playoffs and in 6th place right now.

Shit needs to get fixed but despite the failures of the last million years I will still look at the bright side for now...until we face Boston in the back to back games.
Sonofa......

Why did I not get Guinness last night?

I got the cheaper Canadian substitute Cobblestone instead....

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Sonofa......

Why did I not get Guinness last night?

I got the cheaper Canadian substitute Cobblestone instead....

That's why I don't give you the "A". You gotta be able to spread out the anger and hate. It's too early now to freak out about it. Save that energy for when we get pumped by Boston 13-3 in the two games.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That's why I don't give you the "A". You gotta be able to spread out the anger and hate. It's too early now to freak out about it. Save that energy for when we get pumped by Boston 13-3 in the two games.
I'll get the C after you get the dress.

Boston....we gonna get pegged so bad....

Try out Harp (a lager). $2.00 at the beer store and lcbo, sale of .30 cents. great deal for an import.
Hmm...will look out for it

I survived two absolutely horrible poutines and made it back to Toronto in one piece.
My shirt was quite popular and 3 people asked me where to get one. lol

The final count of TFC fans at the soccer game was 3200. Very impressive.

(by the way, I liked your old school photo of the day EvilMario. I have posted a couple like that in the past too cuz I find that stuff really interesting)

Anyone else just eat so much bad shit this weekend. Just got lazy. Not that it'll affect me in any noticeable way, but I feel semi-guilty even with little reason to. Hate when that happens!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Anyone else just eat so much bad shit this weekend. Just got lazy. Not that it'll affect me in any noticeable way, but I feel semi-guilty even with little reason to. Hate when that happens!

Yes. I visited my parents this weekend, and you can't just can't eat healthy when your mom wants to cook for you.

Those Space ads at Bloor Station are hideous. They look like something for the Oprah channel. So boring and a complete lack of any imagination.

Oppo

Yeah me too. It's where I live ;)

Red Rocket has been great. I buy my espresso beans there. Not quite as stroller-swamped as your standard issue Starbucks, yet. Better than normal breakfast snacks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Best bridge in Toronto, not that we have many to choose from. Also great views of downtown from the area and a lot of great park space (especially Humber East Park, just to the west).

Oppo

We have lots of bridges. None of them go to the island though.

I wish they would finish the plan for the Bloor Viaduct. They put those crazy cables all along it to stifle the number of jumpers, but didn't add the last piece, which was supposed to be cycling projected lights or LEDs along it's length. Right now it just looks like you're entering a prison colony. Could be so much better for want of a little hardware.

It's been my opinion that one of the areas of town in most need of new transit built is Liberty Village. They keep building and building new condos to flood the area with new residents with no new TTC service to accommodate them all.

There are now plans for the small parcel of land slightly to the east of the existing Liberty Village buildings which will make the problem much worse if the plan goes ahead as proposed:

jrjHZH4.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I survived two absolutely horrible poutines and made it back to Toronto in one piece.
My shirt was quite popular and 3 people asked me where to get one. lol

The final count of TFC fans at the soccer game was 3200. Very impressive.

(by the way, I liked your old school photo of the day EvilMario. I have posted a couple like that in the past too cuz I find that stuff really interesting)
Did we win and did you troll the fans?

Did we win and did you troll the fans?

Montreal won 2-1. The TFC fans had a great time though. They almost broke the subway from jumping up and down and singing which caused all these sparks to start flying off the sides of it which made the subway keep stopping abruptly every few seconds.
They brought in dozens of cops to break it up though. "ne pas de jumping!"

explodet

It's been my opinion that one of the areas of town in most need of new transit built is Liberty Village. They keep building and building new condos to flood the area with new residents with no new TTC service to accommodate them all.
Not just transit, but other services as well. They're way behind on building new hospitals, and the increased population is putting a strain on the ERs.

Oppo

Yeah Liberty Village is crazytown now. I can't believe how much it has changed. I used to work over there in one of the de rigueur converted loft style buildings (I think Sony BMG is there now) during the whole dotcom boom in the early 2000s. You couldn't get shit to eat there - well the range was either a really expensive sandwich from a boutique place or Subway/McD's. Really changed the edge of Parkdale. (Which was sorta needed to be honest).

Me and the wife looked at condos over there when it was all going up, the prices were mental. We bought our house (fully detatched) in the east end, on the subway line, for less than practically any of those shoeboxes were asking.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Montreal won 2-1. The TFC fans had a great time though. They almost broke the subway from jumping up and down and singing which caused all these sparks to start flying off the sides of it which made the subway keep stopping abruptly every few seconds.
They brought in dozens of cops to break it up though. "ne pas de jumping!"
Pffft! They were probably bitching cause you didn't cheer en francais

Top Bottom